Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

On number 1 I had her name picked out pretty much a few days after I found out I was pregnant, especially if she was a girl, I struggled with boys names though so it was a good thing she was a girl :p I did half change my mind a few times but kept coming back to the one name!

On number 2 I had a name picked out when I went in to give birth, but when the birth announcement was made my mother practically broke down in tears and begged me not to name her the name I had picked, so I just told my partner to pick a name, it suits her though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

How long on average did it take you guys to find the perfect name for your baby? Maybe we should leave it until a bit later in the pregnancy before wrecking our heads with names...

I had my daughters name chosen when I was about 6 weeks pregnant. It came to me one night and I just loved the sound of her name. When she was born, she actually looked like a "Rhiannon" (her name, obviously). I can't even begin to imagine her with a different name to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Cottontail wrote: »
    What is the correct spelling of Etain though? some places I look it up there are no fadas, then some have a fada on the E, and person above has a fada on the A. Which is the correct way? :confused:
    Oral Slang wrote: »
    I deal with someone in work who spells it as I have. Hadn't really heard of it before hearing her name, so not sure if there more spellings. I've heard a pronunciation Ehtayne before, but this girl pronounces it Eetawn.

I think it depends on the part of the country. I think 'Ehtayne' would be Etain, while 'Eetawn' would be Etáin. I've also heard Ehteenn (someone in Munster), which is Etaín.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Just came across this name on TV for the 1st time ever yesterday; 'Bettany'.

Sounds like a cross between Betty & Bethany?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭mariaf24

January wrote: »
    On number 1 I had her name picked out pretty much a few days after I found out I was pregnant, especially if she was a girl, I struggled with boys names though so it was a good thing she was a girl :p I did half change my mind a few times but kept coming back to the one name!

On number 2 I had a name picked out when I went in to give birth, but when the birth announcement was made my mother practically broke down in tears and begged me not to name her the name I had picked, so I just told my partner to pick a name, it suits her though :)

That's so lousy! Actually when my friend had her baby girl she picked a very "unusual" name...her own parents were so angry about it they took weeks to call her by her name. Even 4 years on it's a bit of a touchy subject :eek:

Im 35 weeks and i've no boys names whatsoever, really panicking now. I'm 100% sure of Eva for a girl and have been since the start :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I love the names Jude or Luca for a little boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

We're going with Daithi for a boy. David runs in his family but I'm not mad about it and Daithi is a good Irish name, the name of the last Pagan Irish King :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

Mine will be Dashiell if it's a boy but I suspect it's not...

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭crazyginlady

We are 16 weeks in, and we are no nearer finding the name we want!:( Every time one of us find a name we like, either the other one doesn't like it, or we both like it, but after a while we get turned off it.

How long on average did it take you guys to find the perfect name for your baby? Maybe we should leave it until a bit later in the pregnancy before wrecking our heads with names...
    we chose Aoibheann's name when she was born :D , trying to be a bit more prepared this time around .

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Mine will be Dashiell if it's a boy but I suspect it's not...

I have never heard that name before,I had to go look it up:)
    It sounds lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Dubdude

Our baby son was born on 28th May 2011 and we chose Noah.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Dr.Dre

Osama

After the great pakistanie singer/songwriter

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I have never heard that name before,I had to go look it up:)
    It sounds lovely.

Thanks, I love it too! It's french I think. It's pronounced like Cashel in Tipperary, with a D instead of a C...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Thanks, I love it too! It's french I think. It's pronounced like Cashel in Tipperary, with a D instead of a C...

I presume you got it from the writer Dashiell Hammet, but that pronunciation is Dash-eel.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭soddy1979

I like the girls name Anouska (pronounced an-oo-shka). Would probably end up being shortened to Annie. Doesn't matter though.... it got vetoed by my wife!

My grandmother's name is Leine (pronounced Lay-nee). We might go for that. My grandmother is 1/2 Indonesian, so if the baby is gets those genes and is a girl, this is her probable name.

For a boy we have Elliot & Louis, my wife prefers Elliot. I don't really mind.

33 weeks gone and counting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I love anouska.... I suppose it would be shortened, its hard to think on any name that wouldn't be.
    That's so lousy! Actually when my friend had her baby girl she picked a very "unusual" name...her own parents were so angry about it they took weeks to call her by her name. Even 4 years on it's a bit of a touchy subject

My own mum couldn't remember my daughter's name for a few weeks. If anyone asked she had it written down on a slip of paper in her handbag!!

She didn't dare question my on why \I picked it, she just said she wouldn't expect anything less from me.

Any child under 5 who hear's her name remembers it instantly!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

In the end Helen was the first name we picked - it is after my mother in law but it really suits her and she is named after a really strong woman.

That's a lovely name. So strong and no nonsense! That's what I think of Helen's, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭deeduck48

mariaf24 wrote: »
    That's so lousy! Actually when my friend had her baby girl she picked a very "unusual" name...her own parents were so angry about it they took weeks to call her by her name. Even 4 years on it's a bit of a touchy subject :eek:
    my nephew was named Ciaran - NOT Ciarán, as i keep calling him accidentally:eek:, my parents werent happy that it was with no fada, but now we're all a bit worried as at 3yrs his parents are calling him Ciary, which as my mother points out will become queery when he goes to school.he also calls himself "keery".
    BTW i worked in d kids shoes department in Dunnes in Cork a few yrs ago for 6 months and am advising, the following names are NOT unique:p:
    Saoirse, Megan/Meaghan, Dara, Jack, Breen, Olan, Harry, Braidan, Michelle/shell/shelly, Sarah, Ross, Reese/Rhys, Ryan, Kiya, luke/lucas/luca,
    Ava, Daniel. hope this helps.:D:p We're thinking Ruth for a girl or Sebastian for a boy.:)

Btw, again, my husband has a really really unique german name and its a pain in the a, constantly having to repeat it or spell it out to people, especially over the phone,apparently its very common in Germany but not here, he got teased endlessly in the small country school he went to over it. So it might be cool while baba is small but my OH is 26 and hates it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Reuben? What to peeps think of the name Reuben? Is it a bit out there?

• Advertisement

I really like it, it was in the running for our son before he was born! It's a wee bit different, but I think that's a good thing, there wouldn't be 3 or 4 other kids in his class in school with the same name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭careca11

called our son Conor both myself and my wife liked it,
    if we ever have a Girl , we intend to go with one of the follow
    Mieke
    Mia
    or Alana

I'm not mad on it, but I know a Ruben in his 20's and I'm not mad on him, so that could be it!
    careca11 wrote: »
    Mieke
    Mia
    or Alana

How do you pronounce Mieke?
    Alana is a bit popular now, I know a few little Alana's.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭soddy1979

Mieke
    Mia
    or Alana

I've an aunt from the Netherlands called Mieke. Lovely name!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

It's also a type of sandwich, so that would put me off it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭jw297

ElleEm wrote: »

How do you pronounce Mieke?
    Alana is a bit popular now, I know a few little Alana's.

I know a Meike which is pronounced 'Mike-eh'. I would probably pronounce Mieke 'Meek-eh', in Dutch anyway. Open to correction though!

Having such trouble thinking of names at the moment. Gone off everything I liked a few weeks ago :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Mieke
    Mia
    or Alana

I love the name Conor too,it is a strong name and suits a child or adult:)

Is Alana pronounced like Alannah? I love then name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I really like it, it was in the running for our son before he was born! It's a wee bit different, but I think that's a good thing, there wouldn't be 3 or 4 other kids in his class in school with the same name.

What was the name you went for? I promise I won't steal it :D Would you have spelled it Reuben or Ruben?
    ElleEm wrote: »
    I'm not mad on it, but I know a Ruben in his 20's and I'm not mad on him, so that could be it!

lol yeah, knowing a muppet can throw you off a name :D
    It's also a type of sandwich, so that would put me off it.

i'm hungry now :(:D

Originally Posted by Cottontail viewpost.gif

What was the name you went for? I promise I won't steal it biggrin.gif Would you have spelled it Reuben or Ruben?

We went for Donnchadh, you're welcome to steal it if you like! ;) I would have spelled it Reuben.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭louise5754

Girl

Lily
    Anna
    Rose

Boy

Will
    James
    Killian

Advertisement