Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭jayjayxxx

my boyfriend decided he likes the name cooper im not sure.. it would be cooper sean clarke

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭KayTee

I have heard of three little girls called Fia (or however they spell it) in the last few months.

:eek:

We live in quite a small village, so I'm sure to hear if any little girls are named Fia between now and when my lo arrives - if it's even a girl!! Both my other kids are the only ones with their name in their class thankfully. There were always at least 2, if not 3 girls in my class with my name...vowed it wouldn't be the same for my kids :)

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭KayTee

jayjayxxx wrote: »
    my boyfriend decided he likes the name cooper im not sure.. it would be cooper sean clarke

Hmmm...not sure if it goes with the surname..cool name though

KayTee wrote: »
    Hmmm...not sure if it goes with the surname..cool name though

yeh thats what i was thinking. stil 4 months left to find a name.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I really like Fia(dh). I think I might save it as a name for no.2 if it's a girl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I like Cooper Clarke!!
    Sounds a bit like a superhero :D (I do mean that in a good way!!)

That's a name that won't mean much to the present generation, but it does sort of ring a bell for people of my age.

john+cooper+clarke.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭mariaf24

Had my second daughter 2 weeks ago and called her Eva :)
    We've had people call her Aoife, Ava, Eve and a few others so we're constantly spelling her name out...

In the hospital you could almost predict the names alright and they are very much in line with the cso results!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

My daughter is Ella, was one of 2 on our ward and we have met 2 more since!:mad: And I thought I had picked an individual name :rolleyes:

my little girls name is alyssa but she has been called ally since birth.. people call her aliza melissa alicia... i dont think its that hard a name to say. i love the name ava but don't want the same problems with people gettin name wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭mariaf24

Lola92 wrote: »
    My daughter is Ella, was one of 2 on our ward and we have met 2 more since!:mad: And I thought I had picked an individual name :rolleyes:

LOL My daughter is called Ella too! :pac:

I've come across it a bit but not too much.

There were so many Jack's in the hospital. It wouldn't bother me if i liked te name :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

mariaf24 wrote: »
    LOL My daughter is called Ella too! :pac:

I've come across it a bit but not too much.

There were so many Jack's in the hospital. It wouldn't bother me if i liked te name :)

Typical! :D Two friends of mine have Jacks and there was one of those on our ward too! It's so funny how names go in and out of fashion.

Before I named my daughter Ella I had only ever heard of one before, a girl I went to primary school with in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ash_18x

my little girls name is alyssa but she has been called ally since birth.. people call her aliza melissa alicia... i dont think its that hard a name to say. i love the name ava but don't want the same problems with people gettin name wrong.

Alyssa is a lovely name. We are thinking along the lines of Ali. My grandmother is called Alice and we want to name our baby -obviously if it is a girl- after her. I kind of think Alice is old fashioned so we have decided on Ali, Alyssa is so nice though- maybe another contender!

If its a boy we are thinking of David, after my dad. I think it is a strong name!

We have another 13 weeks to decide!!

My dad was asking me the other day if we had thought of names, I wouldn't tell him what ones we were thinking about but I asked him why he wanted to know and his reply was 'just don't pick one of those stupid celebrity names where the child will get bullied when its older!'. I just had to laugh at him!

ash_18x wrote: »
    Alyssa is a lovely name. We are thinking along the lines of Ali. My grandmother is called Alice and we want to name our baby -obviously if it is a girl- after her. I kind of think Alice is old fashioned so we have decided on Ali, Alyssa is so nice though- maybe another contender!

If its a boy we are thinking of David, after my dad. I think it is a strong name!

We have another 13 weeks to decide!!

My dad was asking me the other day if we had thought of names, I wouldn't tell him what ones we were thinking about but I asked him why he wanted to know and his reply was 'just don't pick one of those stupid celebrity names where the child will get bullied when its older!'. I just had to laugh at him!

i have 19 weeks left and don't know the sex either. Alice is lovely. My little girl only gets called Alyssa in school or when shes in trouble but i'm so glad i choose that name don't know anyone else with same name so want to get a name like that for this baby.. i have another little girl names jamie muire..

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Shreddingblood

Everyone should watch this before naming their child as I've heard some monstrocities in recent times. Heywood included.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

had baby girl two years ago (she is so cute and crazy!) we called her baby Caoimhé (irish)

some people called her keeva ... needed to correct same!

In fairness, in parts of the country (mainly Ulster) the pronunciation of Caoimhe is Kee-va. It is annoying though when it's not the way you pronounce it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭smokingman

ash_18x wrote: »

Have this a few times meself in the last while - expecting twins in 4 weeks and there's many a question about what we've picked out so far. This is met with the standard reply of "we're not saying, someone will always say something like 'oh, I knew an X, they were an awful plank...'", thereby ruining the many hours we have spent trying to pick the bleedin name in the first place.

So while there are a lot of names I like and a lot of names OH likes, there seems to be a very small intersection between the two sets. Makes it harder that it's twins as well given that we need two boys and two girls names.....and don't get me started about middle names!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭smileyeyes

Yes I agree with previous post..I love the name Caoimhe! I love all the Irish names in general... we have a Patrick and a Saoirse!!! Pregnant now on 3rd so the 'names' conversation has come up again!!! I like Roisín and Saidbh for girls. Not sure on boys name yet....DH likes Séan (only because it is his middle name:D)..... Plenty of time left to come up with other names though...... phew...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

ooh did some one in here have a baby this morning? I heard on Hector there was a baby Fiadh born at 6.30am....was it one of you ladies? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭mydearwatson

had baby girl two years ago (she is so cute and crazy!) we called her baby Caoimhé (irish)

What's the correct pronunciation? Keev-ay? Queev-ay? Just curious as I've never seen it spelled with a fada before!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

What's the correct pronunciation? Keev-ay? Queev-ay? Just curious as I've never seen it spelled with a fada before!

Yeah was wondering that myself - there's not normally any fada on Caoimhe.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I have seen the name Caoimhé before but no idea how to pronounce it or what it means? would love to know too.

We have a Caoimhe too:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I would imagine if a fáda is used it is pronounced the Irish way, "Queevah".
    Then "Keeva" if no fáda.
    Although I do know a Keeva, spelt that way too!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Keeva is usually the way english speakers pronounce Quee-va.
    Up north and in the Uk everyone calls my Caoimhe, Kee-va.

smileyeyes wrote: »
    I like Roisín and Saidbh for girls. Not sure on boys name yet....DH likes Séan (only because it is his middle name:D)
    ElleEm wrote: »
    I would imagine if a fáda is used it is pronounced the Irish way, "Queevah".
    Then "Keeva" if no fáda.
    Although I do know a Keeva, spelt that way too!

Quick Irish lesson - a fada on a letter changes the sound of that letter and emphasises it, so the 'e' at the end of the name Caoimhe is an 'eh' sound. If you put a fada on the e, (é), it becomes an 'ay' sound. People often put fadas on Irish names to make them look more Irish, but it changes the pronunciation of the name e.g. Seán is 'shawn', while Séan is 'shane'. You need a fada on the 'o' in Róisín, to make it Roe-sheen.

When it comes to Caoimhe, the difference in pronunciation has nothing to do with it being more or less Irish or indeed, if a fada is used. The difference is regional - in the South, East and West (I'm being very general here), the name is pronounced Quee-ve, but in the North, the pronunciation is Kee-va.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭mydearwatson

Thanks for that Deemark! So would I be right in saying that Caoimhé would be pronounced either Keev-ay or Queev-ay, depending on dialect?

Perhaps you might be able to help me on the pronunciation of another Irish name - Aoibheann? I've often heard this name pronounced "Ay-veen", but from what I remember of secondary school Irish, the way I would expect this be pronounced is more like "Eve-in"? I just can't see where the "ay" and "ee" sounds are coming from, with that spelling! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

My husband who speaks Irish fluently says it should be pronounced keeva and if we'd had a girl he'd insist it would be pronounced like that and not queeva. That was the end of caoimhe for me. I already have that carry on with his name: his family pronounce it one way and I pronounce it the way he said it the first time I met him. It's my bug bear.

My husband who speaks Irish fluently says it should be pronounced keeva and if we'd had a girl he'd insist it would be pronounced like that and not queeva. That was the end of caoimhe for me. I already have that carry on with his name: his family pronounce it one way and I pronounce it the way he said it the first time I met him. It's my bug bear.

I have a similar problem. My wee buck is Cathal and I pronounce it the West of Ireland way - Coh-ill. Now, my husband follows my lead and pronounces it 'my' way and my mother in law nearly trips over herself trying to copy it, but everyone else calls him Cah-hill. I knew I was going to have this problem, but the name just fitted him and it was the only one we agreed on, so I've told myself that he can call himself and answer to whatever he wants when he's older:rolleyes:.

It really is 'another world altogether' up here:rolleyes:

Thanks for that Deemark! So would I be right in saying that Caoimhé would be pronounced either Keev-ay or Queev-ay, depending on dialect?

Yep, though I suspect that the fada was unintended.
    Perhaps you might be able to help me on the pronunciation of another Irish name - Aoibheann? I've often heard this name pronounced "Ay-veen", but from what I remember of secondary school Irish, the way I would expect this be pronounced is more like "Eve-in"? I just can't see where the "ay" and "ee" sounds are coming from, with that spelling!

There was a debate about that on this thread already, just do a search. I would go with the Eve-in pronunciation too though.

• Advertisement

Most of our family are fluent irish speakers too and they all pronounce it Quee-va :)

Advertisement