Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭SarahC11

we were pretty set on Aoife since we found out i was preggers! but had difficulty picking a middle name! so now i think were set on Aoife Maeve what do ya's think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Too much of a "v" sound I think, Aoife May would be lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭SarahC11

yeah i was kinda thinking its a bit of a mouthful! my ma loves Aoife May, i like it but im torn! i LOVE Rose but the baby but she would be Aoife Rose Rice! the bf thinks its a great name but i think he just likes it cos its funny! does have a ring to it all the same!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

The CSO have released the most popular names of 2010 here.

Jack & Sophie came out on top, my wee man isn't in the top 40 :D(I have a bee in my bonnet about this - there were 5 people with my name in one of my classes in school. I am determined this won't be the situation for my offspring)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

SarahC11 wrote: »
    yeah i was kinda thinking its a bit of a mouthful! my ma loves Aoife May, i like it but im torn! i LOVE Rose but the baby but she would be Aoife Rose Rice! the bf thinks its a great name but i think he just likes it cos its funny! does have a ring to it all the same!!

Haha, when I read Aoife Rose Rice, I immediately think Aoife Rolls Royce. Names are nice on their own, but together sound a bit funny. Really depends if you are ever going to use Rose or if it will be just on her birth cert like most middle names.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

deemark wrote: »

Jack & Sophie came out on top, my wee man isn't in the top 40 :D(I have a bee in my bonnet about this - there were 5 people with my name in one of my classes in school. I am determined this won't be the situation for my offspring)

same as that, I'd hate for my son to have the same name as others in the class. My little man's name didn't make it to the top 100 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭jayjayxxx

I have two girls Alyssa Jane and Jamie Muire and am expecting another baby in november. I it's a boy am thinking Thomas-Jay after his daddy. and i it's another girl i like leah, amelia, bella and madison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

ooh no Hugh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Yeah thankfully neither names I have picked appear on those lists. My names aren't that unusual, but at least there hopefully wont be more than 1 of them in their class.

ooh no Hugh :D

I love that name! It's a very strong name. I also love the way the Irish version is spelt - Aodh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Our son's first name is in the top 5, but we call him by his second name which is somewhere below the 50s. The girls' names we're touting this time round aren't on the list at all, they're way too old-fashioned! The boys ones are on there, but way down (except for Tommy/Thomas which is my current favourite and comes in at 22). I love the name Hugh too, it appears in my other half's family but there's already a cousin with the name (they live in the UK). It's not that common here, is it? Reuben's good too, my best friend was going to call her baby that if she'd had a boy, but got another girl.

It's hard work picking a name they won't hate you for, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

I love the name Hugh, always have. Its a really strong manly name. Love it. My husband hates it as he a very grumpy uncle called Hebert.

Nice to see Mary back on the list even if its at number 60. Sounds sweet. Used to hate it but now think its lovely. I know of a few baby girls born this year called Bridget. I wonder is it going to become the new Molly. When I was a kid, Molly was a old lady name, very uncool but now over the last 5/10 years its back with a bang!!

I think I just like the simple, plain old fashioned names but do love the girls name tyne!!

Alice, Martha, Jane, Catherine, Mary, Elizabeth, Julia are all so pretty.

Hugh, Olivier, Daniel, Peter, Miles, William, Gerard, Joseph, Mark, Andrew, James,Arther, Neil, Harry/Henry, Philip, Charles. All nice strong manly names.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

We picked Helen for the first name for our daugher who was born on the 1st of this month - it is after my mother in law, we originally had a variant of that name picked but when we saw her we changed our minds. It was not in the top 100 names like our son's was (he was born in 2010), we called him Shane after his daddy, our son is a mini-version of his daddy so we were thrilled (Helen is a mini-version of me).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I'm just a bit worried because our surname begins with a J, that is supposed to be silent but most people pronounce, so I'm worried when you put the two together he'll be nicknamed Huge :o and will hate us for the rest of our lives and deny us the joy of grandkids :D

I'm just a bit worried because our surname begins with a J, that is supposed to be silent but most people pronounce, so I'm worried when you put the two together he'll be nicknamed Huge :o and will hate us for the rest of our lives and deny us the joy of grandkids :D

Ah, kids aren't always that imaginative! We think of things they don't and vice-versa - he's as likely to be called 'pooh' :) Calling him 'Hughie' would solve that problem.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I love that name! It's a very strong name. I also love the way the Irish version is spelt - Aodh.

I love Aodhán but there is not a chance we could ever use it with our surname.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

SarahC11 wrote: »
    we were pretty set on Aoife since we found out i was preggers! but had difficulty picking a middle name! so now i think were set on Aoife Maeve what do ya's think?

I love Aoife Maeve it sounds gorgeous:)
    Not at all a fan of May but I love the name Maeve/Meadhbh/Maebhdh..

• Registered Users Posts: 5 shegrim

Vegeta wrote: »
    Timpiste for a boy or girl is quite good

Only messin, girlfriend loves Isabell for a girl so I'm told that's what our first girl will be

Isabell shortens to bell (which I think is corny) but she loves

Timpiste, Moses... my husband and you would get on great, he wants Gallactachor, or as he likes Irish names Gallactachóir, I'm assuming it comes from transformers or something. Anyway, he reckons it's a good strong name and no one will mess with Gallactachóir :-)
    Worse, he found a legitimate Irish name Gallcobhóir, which he thinks is a good substitute if he really can't have Gallactachóir....he also found Béarcah, another good strong name he reckons. I have asked what happens if he is wrong a someone does mess with mini Gallactachóir in the playground, he says it's fine as Gallactachóir 1, 2, and 3 will help him/her out, oh yeah, he reckons these names are unisex :-), he's currently calling the poor baby fisty, because s/he must be about that size or, sticking again with the need for an Irish name Festóir...think i'll be registering the birth :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 shegrim

January wrote: »
    My aunt named her baby Eva and it's a gorgeous name.

I have decided on Jack or Luke for a boy and Addison for a girl.

Lovely names, my Godson is Luke and his twin is Jack :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

This is probably one of the least stressful but important decisions you have to make. We both have first names that we still curse our parents for giving us so we're trying to avoid the same thing happening to us in 18 years.

Actually hard to find a name we can both stick with, was Oisin for months but I never really liked it and there's way too many of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 emmeim

What do people think of the name 'Megan' ? I have an Emma already!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭jayjayxxx

emmeim wrote: »
    What do people think of the name 'Megan' ? I have an Emma already!

my niece's name is megan its a lovely name.. emma and megan are both very pretty names

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭KayTee

I like Megan but oh isn't pushed :( however, I think I've found THE girls name - Fiadh (Fia?)- I have my heart set on it at the moment anyway, and I think Alex for a boy...

Now just have to wait for bubs to make an appearance, oh will be putty in my hands and I'll get my way!!!

Fia is irish for deer, as far as I know though fia and fiadh exist as names in other languages too.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭KayTee

I think I would spell it with the "dh". Was looking into it today, it does mean deer in Irish, apparently coming from Sean ghaelige. It's just so simple and pretty. My other 2 don't have Irish names at all...

I know a Fia and a Fianna, they're both gorgeous names and on my list. I wouldn't worry too much about the literal meaning of it - you get it in English too e.g. Grace. The name 'Nia' also means 'nephew' and I know a few Daras too, it never occurs to anyone that 'dara' means 'oak'.

I am the opposite I couldn't call my kids a name with out looking in to the meaning of it.
    I never heard of Fiadh as an irish name before but that is even better ,there won't be 5 kids with the same name in her class!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Reuben? What to peeps think of the name Reuben? Is it a bit out there?
    That's my favourite name and also Cathy Davey has a song called Reuben :)

also the sandwich sounds delicious :P

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I am the opposite I couldn't call my kids a name with out looking in to the meaning of it.
    I never heard of Fiadh as an irish name before but that is even better ,there won't be 5 kids with the same name in her class!

I have heard of three little girls called Fia (or however they spell it) in the last few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

KayTee wrote: »
    I think I would spell it with the "dh". Was looking into it today, it does mean deer in Irish, apparently coming from Sean ghaelige. It's just so simple and pretty. My other 2 don't have Irish names at all...

I think Fiadh is a lovely name! i've never heard it before either. Definitely spell it with the 'dh'. :)

Advertisement