Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭steps_3314

lolli wrote: »
    Congrats, my lil sister is called Naoise love the name. Have a baby on the way now no idea what to call her

You'll know when you see her.

We had Naoise and Caoimhe in our minds and she just looked like a Naoise if that makes sense.

Darragh was our choice for a boy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 TradLad

Naoise is a really nice name. Very classy. We have a little girl named Cora and are due a baby, names wise either Maisy or Elsie for girl, and Rowan for a boy. What ya'll think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

steps_3314 wrote: »
    You'll know when you see her.

We had Naoise and Caoimhe in our minds and she just looked like a Naoise if that makes sense.

Darragh was our choice for a boy.

I helped my mam pick the names but my sister looked like a Naoise too. :D If she wasn't called that i'd call my baby that. Although we have gotten into the habit of calling her Nini. :D (my boyfriend calls her Weenie shes not impressed) My mam thought mine and her names couldnt be shortened but she got that wrong cos everyone calls me Lol

Baby is due on my boyfriends birthday so was thinking of the female version of his name but he wont hear of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭steps_3314

I helped my mam pick the names but my sister looked like a Naoise too. :D If she wasn't called that i'd call my baby that. Although we have gotten into the habit of calling her Nini. :D (my boyfriend calls her Weenie shes not impressed) My mam thought mine and her names couldnt be shortened but she got that wrong cos everyone calls me Lol

Baby is due on my boyfriends birthday so was thinking of the female version of his name but he wont hear of it.

Haha..i can understand. Unless his name is something like Steve (like me) and you could call her Stevie

I also like Katie which isnt a boys name of course but just throwing it in there.

Its being a long week and im realising that now as im taking part in a baby naming forum. Good fun though.

TradLad wrote: »
    Naoise is a really nice name. Very classy. We have a little girl named Cora and are due a baby, names wise either Maisy or Elsie for girl, and Rowan for a boy. What ya'll think?

I love your names for a girl... but I think for a boy i'd rather Roman.

• Advertisement

steps_3314 wrote: »
    Haha..i can understand. Unless his name is something like Steve (like me) and you could call her Stevie

I also like Katie which isnt a boys name of course but just throwing it in there.

Its being a long week and im realising that now as im taking part in a baby naming forum. Good fun though.

Ha his name is Ciaran so I was thinking Ciara. I love the name Katie but everyone around here seems to be calling their children Katie, Sarah, Ellie, Ella, Leah etc. All great names but dont want baby to be in a class full of ppl with the same names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I think no matter what you name your child someone will be able to shorten it... No matter what...

I remember when I went back to work, I named my daughter Addison and one of the guys there asked me was it because she was conceived in the Addison Lodge in Glasnevin... :O

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I love Juliet but everyone says she'd be asked her whole life where is Romeo.... so I dunno :D

How about Julia?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I love the name Katie but everyone around here seems to be calling their children Katie, Sarah, Ellie, Ella, Leah etc. All great names but dont want baby to be in a class full of ppl with the same names.

I have 4 Shannons in one year in school. In 13 years time, it'll be Eabha/Ava/Evas! There were 4 people with the same name as me in my year. For French, we were all in the same class, but the teacher was cross-eyed so she'd call one and be looking at another, confusing but hilarious:D

How about Caitlin?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Das Kitty wrote: »
    How about Julia?

or do like Jamie Oliver's wife - Jools.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

TradLad wrote: »

I think Maisy and Elsie are gorgeous names for a little girl - but it's hard to imagine a grown woman with a name like that! Maybe for Elsie, you could call her Elizabeth instead and she could revert to that as she got older if she wanted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

We've had a lot of people having babies recently at work.

There have been two girls called Eden (which I like) and Bailey (which I don't, it's the name of the youngest murderer in NZ history, who was male - kinda puts me off!). and boys called Lachlan (lots kiwis are obsessed with having Scottish ancestry!) and George (could be a lot worse!).

BF and I had another big discussion recently about name (why on earth we talk about it, I don't know!) and we like Caitlin, Ashling (specifically spelled that way) or Sian for girls and Celyn (it's the Welsh word for Holly and is pronounced Kel-in) for a boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

watna wrote: »
    We've had a lot of people having babies recently at work.

There have been two girls called Eden (which I like) and Bailey (which I don't, it's the name of the youngest murderer in NZ history, who was male - kinda puts me off!). and boys called Lachlan (lots kiwis are obsessed with having Scottish ancestry!) and George (could be a lot worse!).

BF and I had another big discussion recently about name (why on earth we talk about it, I don't know!) and we like Caitlin, Ashling (specifically spelled that way) or Sian for girls and Celyn (it's the Welsh word for Holly and is pronounced Kel-in) for a boy.

I've always like the name Eden. As for all the girls names I think I like Sian the best! It's pretty.

Having a tough time with names myself.

For girls I like Esther, Kia, Maya, Sadbh, and Teagan. Teagan was the forerunner for a long time, but Maya has really crept up there. I LOVE the name Maya but I would hate for people to get it confused with Mia (mee-ah) as I really hate it. Figured the spelling "Maya" might prevent confusion!

For boys it's harder..I like Dylan, Evan, Max(no idea why! it struck me as cute! and Noah.

Any suggestions??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

hacked wrote: »
    I've always like the name Eden. As for all the girls names I think I like Sian the best! It's pretty.

For girls I like Esther, Kia, Maya, Sadbh, and Teagan. Teagan was the forerunner for a long time, but Maya has really crept up there. I LOVE the name Maya but I would hate for people to get it confused with Mia (mee-ah) as I really hate it. Figured the spelling "Maya" might prevent confusion!

Any suggestions??

I like Esther, Kia & Teagan, & Maya :)

But how do you pronounce Sadbh ?

Camelot wrote: »
    I like Esther, Kia & Teagan, & Maya :)

But how do you pronounce Sadbh ?

Man it really is so hard to choose! I really feel like it's a girl, so I'm having more trouble with the girls names at the moment. Teagan and Maya are the front runners for me at the moment.

Sadbh....its pronounced like "Siyve" if anyone can think of a better spelling for a pronunciation explanation go for it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭bumpintraining

At the moment we're thinking Leah for a girl
    Other girl names I really like are;
    Isabelle
    Alex
    Kelly

Really like Darren,Ciaran, Matthew or Nathan for a boy

Have 7months to change our minds which no doubt we will. ;)

I like all of them bar Kelly. I don't know...it just sounds so american!

although i may be biased, as I knew some really annoying Kelly's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭mariaf24

I am looking for peoples opinions on the name 'Melody'. For a girl obviously lol. It's actually not for me, it's a friends baby! Would appreciate thoughts.

Melody is kind of an old school name...but I really like it, it would be nice to bring it back :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wexford202

mariaf24 wrote: »
    I am looking for peoples opinions on the name 'Melody'. For a girl obviously lol. It's actually not for me, it's a friends baby! Would appreciate thoughts.

I actually do like it too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭bumpintraining

I think Melody is kind of cute for a child but not sure when the little girl becomes a woman?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

I know a lady in her late 40's who is called Melody and it really suits her. She is very arty?hippy.

I think Melody is kind of cute for a child but not sure when the little girl becomes a woman?

Like I said, Melody is an old school name. All the melody's i know are in their 40s plus, and it works for all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Princessa

I have Ben for a boy but i cant decide on a girls name.... I keep hearing that if its a girl apparently i'll know what to call her when i see her.... Any truth in that? :)

Princessa wrote: »
    I have Ben for a boy but i cant decide on a girls name.... I keep hearing that if its a girl apparently i'll know what to call her when i see her.... Any truth in that? :)

Aw I really love Ben :) That was one I was considering for a boy.

Girls names are harder because there seems to be more choice. I think it's like that with every baby, sometimes they just look like a name! It might help to pick a few girls names out though. Then if it ends up being a little girl you can sit there and think about which of the names suit her best. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

hacked wrote: »
    Aw I really love Ben :) That was one I was considering for a boy.

Girls names are harder because there seems to be more choice. I think it's like that with every baby, sometimes they just look like a name! It might help to pick a few girls names out though. Then if it ends up being a little girl you can sit there and think about which of the names suit her best. :)
    is not ben just a nickname for benjamin ? i only had one child and called him simon,it was his mothers idea she was a fan of a radio dj called simon dee,the girls name i love is charlotte mainly because i am a big bronte fan.

Yes, Ben is a shortened version of Benjamin...but you can call your child either. IT doesn't really make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭DUBACC

I like the name Ben - i've a cousin called Ben. My idea is going to be Emily for a girl and Dylan for a boy. Now i just need Mrs Dubacc to agree!!!

DUBACC wrote: »
    I like the name Ben - i've a cousin called Ben. My idea is going to be Emily for a girl and Dylan for a boy. Now i just need Mrs Dubacc to agree!!!

Both of those are lovely. :) Good luck with the mrs! I forget how hard it must be for the expectant daddy's out there! If himself was still around, I'd probably be having the last say no matter what!! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I've having a boy and I thought it would be really hard to pick a name but its been really easy. When I was pregnant with my daughter I had a list of about 30 possible girls names and only one or two boys. This time around though we agreed almost instantly on a name which is a small miracle.

We'd picked Aimee for a girl ( never got around to settling on a middle name ) and have Jack James for a boy ...to be called "JJ" by everyone no doubt!

I've always like the name Jack but it was only when my sister pointed out its an alternative to John that I really settled on it. John was my late dad's name and I know he would have been thrilled to have another grandchild, his first grandson, so its a nice tribute to him in a way.

His sister is Gemma Lee so they match quite well too

Advertisement