Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to eat low carb in dublin

Options
  • 16-07-2008 1:35am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was out and about in Dublin a couple of times last week and noticed that the options for eating low carb are terrible. One day I got a plate of scrambled eggs in the Jervis Centre. The other day I just went hungry.

Anyone else got any suggestions for a light meal?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Salads can be low carb - just go light on the dressings.

Steak with salad

Grilled chicken breasts with salad

You seem to be limiting yourself.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

just order off the menu. I'm sure most places would be able to cook you a lump of meat, throw some broccoli/lettuce/spinach/carrot on it and top with olive oil. Or you could go to a deli, get some chicken, an apple or two and some nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mack1

Dead Ed wrote: »
    just order off the menu. I'm sure most places would be able to cook you a lump of meat, throw some broccoli/lettuce/spinach/carrot on it and top with olive oil. Or you could go to a deli, get some chicken, an apple or two and some nuts

Exactly, have them replace the chips/spuds/etc with veg or salad and you're there!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Milano's do a lovely salad nostrana, just order it sans potatoes and breadsticks and extra dressing on the side. There's no sugar in the dressing, I asked for the ingredients (I know, I know, I'm that person).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

The Food Emporium (corner of Abbey and Liffey Street) has a lot of low carb options. Lots of buffet places where you can fill up on chicken wings or chili chicken or meatballs or prawns etc. You can also go to any of the sandwich/bagel places and ask for a sandwich without the bread. They'll charge you less too.

Alternatively, go to Tesco or M&S and buy cold meat or chicken or fish and a bag of salad, or some cheees (M&S do single portions).

Holland & Barret do GG Scandanavian crisprbread which is very low carb/high fibre. All supermarkets do John West "Tuna with a twist" which is very handy for snacking. Also tins of sardines or mackerel or tuna or salmon. Tubs of cottage cheese.

Alto Foods in Abbey Street have pork rinds (ultra low carb). Most nuts are low carb, but watch quantities.

Fallon & Byrne have Lindt 99% chocolate, which is low carb (4g per 50g bar), and you can only eat a little at a time.

In Italian places, ask for a large plate of anti pasta, lots of cold meat, cheese, olives and veg.

Pizza places usually have good chicken wings.

Burger places; ask for a burger with salad instead of bun or chips.

All restaurants will do low carb if you just ask for it. Any steak/fish/chicken with salad or veg instead of rice/pasta/spuds. If there really is no suitable main course option, ask for a double sized starter.

Tapas restaurants are brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I'm thinking maybe my eyes weren't open enough at all.

I just kept seeing my favourite high carb stuff and dismissing entire eateries.

I had a wander through the Epicurian food hall, god i love that place. I just need to look harder next time i think.

Thanks all

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I'm going for an Indian tonight...any idea what I could have that wont be full of calories? I don't mind eating rice but I''ll only eat half the portion and I wont have naan. Or maybe I'll have Naan instead of rice...

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mack1

Piste wrote: »
    I'm going for an Indian tonight...any idea what I could have that wont be full of calories? I don't mind eating rice but I''ll only eat half the portion and I wont have naan. Or maybe I'll have Naan instead of rice...

Tandoori Chicken

• Registered Users Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Dont go near a naan, they are one of the most fattening things you can eat. They are full of fat. have a small portion of rice or a roti/ chapati. Have tandori chicken or prawn for your main wrapped in a chappati, yum.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Do you want low carb or low fat, because they're sort of incompatible.

Low carb - something creamy like a korma, with saag instead of rice or naan.

• Advertisement

Ah jaysus didn't have time to look at this thread again before I went out for dinner :(

Jaysus I didn't know naans were that fattening :( Thank god I had no desert.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Jaysus I didn't know naans were that fattening :( Thank god I had no desert.
    Heh.. they're a type of bread, of course they're fattening! :)

Bread isn't full of fat though, apparently naans are.

Don't knock bread, it gives us sandwiches <3

Bread isn't full of fat though, apparently naans are.
    I'm from the school of thought that holds fat isn't really that fattening, in spite of the fact that words are nearly the same.

Bread on the other hand, is quite fattening.

Don't knock bread, it gives us sandwiches <3
    Don't knock fat... it gives us butter *nom nom*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

ApeXaviour wrote: »

Statements like that are meaningless without reflecting on quantity. A sandwich a day isn't going to make you fat.

Of course a sandwich a day won't contribute significantly to making you fat, but it won't help, especially if one is trying to lose weight.

Of course a sandwich a day won't contribute significantly to making you fat, but it won't help, especially if one is trying to lose weight.

Complete nonsense. I eat peanut butter sandwiches everyday and they haven't caused any weight gain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

cozmik wrote: »
    Statements like that are meaningless without reflecting on quantity. A sandwich a day isn't going to make you fat.

+1 High quality bread is not fattening - it's what you put between the slices that counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,378 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Bread is pretty high in calories in the portions I see most people eating. i.e. what is in the sandwich usually has less calories than the bread itself. Many are shocked to hear how many calories are in it. A burger typically has less calories than the bun. It usually doesnt sound too calorie dense, e.g. about 220kcal per 100g, compared to maybe 550kcal per 100g for peanut butter- BUT the bread weighs far more in most peanut butter sandwiches.

And that is just taking calories into account, not insulin, carb etc effects

But the vast majority of people have no idea how much they eat. I used to easily eat 1000kcal of bread a day.

Cooked chicken breast has about half the calories per 100g as bread, I just use iceberg leaves in place of bread.
    I eat peanut butter sandwiches everyday and they haven't caused any weight gain
    I eat bread and have not gained weight, he was more talking of aiding weight loss, in which case I would agree. While trying to lose fat I found giving up bread did let me shed fat well. If only by filling up on lower cal foods that gave the same filling effect.

Too much of most things will make you fat, and most peoples bread portions could well be viewed as "too much".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Sorry, but I still refute this "bread is fattening" mantra. Let's take white, sliced bread as an example. Personally, I don't eat it, but for nutritional reasons other than calorific.

Two slices of Brennan's white bread contain 160 calories and 0.8g fat. That is simply not high in fat, whatever way you look at it.

If someone is having two slices of toast in the morning, then another two as part of a sandwich at lunch, and then has another 2-4 slices of bread and butter with their dinner in the evening, then yes, they are likely going to gain weight.

However, the weight gain is going to be as a result of their overall calorie intake as opposed to the fact that it's bread. If they replaced the bread with something else of an equal calorie content, they'd still gain weight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Sorry, but I still refute this "bread is fattening" mantra. Let's take white, sliced bread as an example. Personally, I don't eat it, but for nutritional reasons other than calorific.

Two slices of Brennan's white bread contain 160 calories and 0.8g fat. That is simply not high in fat, whatever way you look at it.

If someone is having two slices of toast in the morning, then another two as part of a sandwich at lunch, and then has another 2-4 slices of bread and butter with their dinner in the evening, then yes, they are likely going to gain weight.

However, the weight gain is going to be as a result of their overall calorie intake as opposed to the fact that it's bread. If they replaced the bread with something else of an equal calorie content, they'd still gain weight.

+1 and the word "fattening" has to be the most over used word ever! Technically if someone is active and not exceeding their approx daily calorie requirement then bread is not goin to be fattening...

rubadub wrote: »

Too much of most things will make you fat, and most peoples bread portions could well be viewed as "too much".

Precisely. It is not the food but the amount / calories. I find it completely disingenuous for anyone to suggest bread should be avoided when they know full well it's not a simple matter of will food X or Y make me fat.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I honestly think you're arguing for the sake of it.

Simply put, advising someone who is over weight to stop eating bread is good advice.

they/them/theirs

Simply put, advising someone who is over weight to stop eating bread is good advice.

If they are eating too much bread that would of course be good advice.

But let's be clear about what was said here.

Now that is simply not true. Eating a balanced diet that includes bread will NOT make you fat. If I were to say in the same manner that butter is quite fattening (which it is lol) without clarifying the quantity you can just imagine what the reaction from the low carbers would be.

People need to stop bad mouthing bread and carbs in general because just like butter or eggs they won't make you FAT if you don't over-indulge.

I'm only going to comment on the cogent points. To do otherwise is a waste time.

Simply put, advising someone who is over weight to stop eating bread is good advice
    indeed. When I loosely said bread was fattening, I didn't expect people to actually disagree semantically. There are 3 reasons why I'd still stick by the assertion. a) it's high calorie b) people tend consume it in large quantities, and c), possibly the most important reason: it causes an insulin response (a very very bad thing) which makes it incredibly difficult to lose weight.

But bread should be avoided for a lot more reasons than merely causing fat,
    corkcomp wrote:
    +1 and the word "fattening" has to be the most over used word ever! Technically if someone is active and not exceeding their approx daily calorie requirement then bread is not goin to be fattening...
    Fair point, it is a rather silly term without quantitative measure. Though if we had to label certain foods "fattening" over others, bread, and high density or refined carbohydrates would likely fall into the the category. All calories are not built alike. Some fill more for their amount, increase metabolism with a glucagon response, and contribute to lean tissue. Other's increase insulin and cortisol, prevent the burning of fat, contribute to diabetes, heart disease, obesity, cholesterol, stroke, high blood pressure, gout etc. Of course a small amount won't kill you, but neither will a small amount of arsenic.

So how much bread is too much in a day?

Well less is better. If you're like me, and you wouldn't miss it a whole lot, then 0 is ideal. If you're overweight and would like to lose some, again as little as possible to none.

If you really enjoy bread though, then by all means have some. These things are about balancing priorities. There's no point being thin and healthy if you're going to be miserable too. But at least try make it wholemeal, and try not let the portions or frequency get to any kind of excess. A bit of wholemeal bread won't do you much harm.

Ok my typical bread intake for the day would be either 1 slice of wholemeal bread (the one that comes in a sliced pan, don't have this for brekkie a lot) or two slices of proper brown bread (two slices because the loaves are teeny)

Then lunch would be a sandwich either in a brown pitta or with two slices of wholemeal (sliced pan) bread.

Is this too much?

I wouldn't normally have any rice/potatoes/bread/pasta forthe rest of the day, the rest of my carbs would come from fruit and vegetable or cheesecake.

A bit of wholemeal bread won't do you any harm.

Fixed that for you.

• Advertisement

There are 3 reasons why I'd still stick by the assertion. a) it's high calorie b) people tend consume it in large quantities, and c), possibly the most important reason: it causes an insulin response (a very very bad thing) which makes it incredibly difficult to lose weight.

here again you are talking pure nonsense.
    A new study shows people who followed a weight loss program incorporating whole-grain breads, cereals, and other foods lost more body fat from the abdominal area than those who ate only refined grains like white bread and rice.

In addition, those on the whole-grain diet experienced a 38% drop in C-reactive protein (CRP), an indicator of inflammation in the body linked to heart disease.

Researchers say the results suggest that incorporating whole grains into weight loss plans may help burn fat as well as reduce the risk of heart disease.

The results appear in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/news/20080225/whole-grains-fight-belly-fat

Advertisement