Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband being incredibly slow.. why?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Fashionfreak

Getting 100kbph with eircom, supposed to be 7mb!!
    Ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

360474864.png

UTV, I am pissed off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

been having problems recently too , kilkenny area

seems eircons ****e network cant cope with these " upgrades " ;/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

nuxxx wrote: »
    been having problems recently too , kilkenny area

seems eircons ****e network cant cope with these " upgrades " ;/

Who are you with Nuxxx? Eircom or BT?

Probably Eircon then. (Silly me)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Same in Carlow... 500ms pings at night, fine during the day. Upgraded to 10Meg adsl2+ on Friday in an attempt to circumvent the ****e in the hope that the higher packages get more of the backhaul out of the exchange. We've 12meg in work and it suffers but at least you can get decent speeds.

Carlow hasn't been upgraded yet, hopefully soon. Eircom say they're waiting to upgrade the backhaul or in Eircom speak "we're waiting for a transmission upgrade".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭El_mariachi

Getting 100kbph with eircom, supposed to be 7mb!!
    Ridiculous!

361043740.png

Look at that ping, its bigger than my line speed!!

I'm on a "7mb" line too, they are getting a pissed off call tomorrow, its not worth what I am paying

• Registered Users Posts: 15,208 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

361454094.png

Really annoyed , was on the phone for 35 minutes with the eircom guy yesterday, ran all the tests.
    Told me to ring back on Tuesday for an update on my 'case status'.:rolleyes:

Im on the 3mb connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭smilgy

Hooray!!! I haven't seen speeds this big for over a month ! People at Eircom must have done something today. Getting the full 3 mb this lovely evening! Usually, it would be around 300 kb/s at this time

361500627.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

smilgy wrote: »
    Hooray!!! I haven't seen speeds this big for over a month ! People at Eircom must have done something today. Getting the full 3 mb this lovely evening! Usually, it would be around 300 kb/s at this time

361500627.png

I think you're right! I'm getting over 6mb on my 7mb package!

smilgy wrote: »

361500627.png

They will drop again, its happened to me.

EDIT:
    I'll log my speed now and l later i will do a speedtest again.
    361850491.png

Dropping:
    361874830.png

• Advertisement

Gone:
    362036651.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

why? wouldn't i like to know... a dublin central suburb/beside Our Ladies Hospital, Crumlin 7mb Home Advanced and D/L tops is 4500kbps and ping between 65-90. overheads? or should i call em up

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Madman08

Well folks they got mine sorted out in the end. They infact, seemingly fixed
    the problem on the Wednesday after I had complained on the Friday beforehand.

The speeds do appear however to be fairly intermittent....but I'm putting that
    down to contention. My pings are actually pretty good from between 40ms to
    80ms....Still though the interleaving isn't helping my WAW kdr much !! :D

I'll keep an eye on it though as I've lost faith in them...(not that I had much
    to begin with anyways !!) ;)

New record low for me:
    363808987.png

364160121.png
    Have eircom 1mb but was always at 880kbs and upload 250kbs:(

its a joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 firesniffer

Madman08 wrote: »
    Well folks they got mine sorted out in the end. They infact, seemingly fixed
    the problem on the Wednesday after I had complained on the Friday beforehand.

The speeds do appear however to be fairly intermittent....but I'm putting that
    down to contention. My pings are actually pretty good from between 40ms to
    80ms....Still though the interleaving isn't helping my WAW kdr much !! :D

I'll keep an eye on it though as I've lost faith in them...(not that I had much
    to begin with anyways !!) ;)

I am glad you got sorted you are indeed one of a very few.

But on another topic but of course related to Eirom

What poetic justice yes and I say it with glee
    they lost the broadband roll out on offer with the government
    Maybe now and only now will they maybe look after their existing customer base.

yes eircom your backup company is on it's knees telco ..
    and you treat your customers like crap ...
    it's time to wake up and smell the roses or fold up ...
    it's your choice ..

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭greatgoal

364394220.png eircom 3mb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

The variety of speeds on 7mb is a mazing, 400-6200 in my experience, and it can be ANYWHERE in between. Contention does seem to be the issueas non-peak is normally better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Everyone seem to be having so much problems with eircom of late,I think I go against the grain when I say they have been excellent. Ive been with them for 2 years now on the 3mb package and there has rarely been a hiccup.

I seem to be one of the lucky ones :D

364634003.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

You must, I've been with them for 3 years, started off at a 512kb connection and have got 3 free speed upgrades in that time, they were great not an issue. I could play online no problems even with the 512 connection.

Started to have the odd issue last year when it went to 2meg, and more people on my street got bb aswell. Ever since it went to 3meg its gone to the dogs, I have been on the phone countless times to clueless technicians, they are a joke and don't want to know you unless your a new customer signing up. The fact they can do nothing about contention does not help either.

After a very bad and unreliable service for the past 3 months I have switched to Magnet, at least they actually know what they are talking about. So far so good, perfect connection at full speeds at all times of the day and no random connection drops.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭El_mariachi

366695995.png

pissed off again, calling them in the morning, will report back

Thats meant to be a 7 meg line!

ping always skyrockets between 6 - 11 pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 fran)))

Hi all - I'm in Athy. Upgraded to the 7mb connection 3 weeks ago. Download/upload speeds swinging up and down - it's usual but nowhere near the advertised. Ping is insane. Over 700ms in the evenings. Phoned eircom again last night and they have promised to sort it out for me - I won't be holding my breath.

Hadn't had much progress since posting the above. Spoke to a manager at Eircom today (after the four-millionth time phoning them) and they said there are serious contention issues in Athy and the exachange is being upgraded in the next few weeks. So in case anyone in the Athy area is currently suffering from this bullcrap there may be light and the end of this ****ty automated message tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭neilk32

would athy be on the portlaoise server?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭zugvogel

fran))) wrote: »
    Hi all - I'm in Athy. Upgraded to the 7mb connection 3 weeks ago. Download/upload speeds swinging up and down - it's usual but nowhere near the advertised. Ping is insane. Over 700ms in the evenings. Phoned eircom again last night and they have promised to sort it out for me - I won't be holding my breath.

Exact same problem off the Nurney exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

neilk32 wrote: »
    would athy be on the portlaoise server?

Yes.

I didn't know it was the portloaise server actually.
    They really are taking the piss at this stage tho.
    It took 2 months for someone at eircom to inform me that they already knew there was a problem with the exchange. I can't understand why the country's biggest ISP is this bad at looking after their customers.
    Even with a reference number, when you phone them you need to go over the whole problem again and every phone call to tech support results in a support agent telling you you may have a virus on your computer or some other pointless irrelevant rubbish.

They really need to sort themselves out.

Then again, they've been treating their customers like crap for a long time - they're probably not going to change any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Having serious problems with Eircom 3mb for last 5 days- tons of disconnects and when it is connected it keeps connecting at a lower rate like 1265kb/s at the moment.
    Had a few landline problems like people can't ring it at times and sometimes when you pick up the receiver there's no dial tone or a sort of 'buzz' noise (this seems to have fixed itself now, however.)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

rc28 wrote: »
    Having serious problems with Eircom 3mb for last 5 days- tons of disconnects and when it is connected it keeps connecting at a lower rate like 1265kb/s at the moment.
    Had a few landline problems like people can't ring it at times and sometimes when you pick up the receiver there's no dial tone or a sort of 'buzz' noise (this seems to have fixed itself now, however.)

It certainly sounds like you have line problems have you reported these problems to Eircom?

Disconnects often point to low snr - can you tell us your line stats?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

dub45 wrote: »
    It certainly sounds like you have line problems have you reported these problems to Eircom?

Disconnects often point to low snr - can you tell us your line stats?

Ye it looks that way, will ring Eircom tomorrow if internet problems are still there after router reset tonight.
    Up to 5 days ago, our line stats were very stable. They now vary from attenuation of 50 and SNR of 20 to unstable SNR 6 and attenuation of 46. Nothing has changed with our internal wiring/filters (I've tried swapping them with newer ones, plugging phoneline directly into wall etc but no change).

Advertisement