Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband being incredibly slow.. why?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Same here \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

im grand now too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Only back to 70% of normal speed.

296613413.png

A marked improvement in pings though. Still a way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Off topic warning..
    My broadband is working but our phone doesn't work anymore- no dial tone or anything this evening. Is it possible for there to be a fault on the eircom line that doesn't affect our internet? It isn't internal wiring or a broken filter as I've checked all of them. Should I just log a fault?

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Im back to 17ms ping to Dublin \o/ :)

• Advertisement

theres something seriously bogey going on though, does this mean in ireland proper broadband is available only from 11pm onwards for those of us working? is that acceptable? for me its not

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Calebmcd

lmimmfn wrote: »
    theres something seriously bogey going on though, does this mean in ireland proper broadband is available only from 11pm onwards for those of us working? is that acceptable? for me its not

I know its the BIGGEST joke!

For me its from 3pm - 11pm

I get 10% of my normal service.

296626459.png

As of now its back but around 90%, i've had better.

I think we should all complain to Comreg. Because the Telecoms dont even provide an answer.

http://www.askcomreg.ie/about_us/form.asp

Somethings up...

Recommended server on speedtest.net is now Limerick. :confused:

Gives better pings though and not a bad speed.

296624988.png

Dublin one still not great..

296628011.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭John mac

Smug:D

296598300.png

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Shamo

Finally! Now for some gta4 multiplayer!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

everything back up for me here :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭admol

The pings and even download speeds are unreliable from speedtest.net. Ping a web site from the command prompt to get a more reliable judgement of your actual ping times ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

295670340.png
    3MB BT. Had been like this the last 2 days. I just presumed I was being throlled because I accidently murdered my cap this month and hadn't had time to get onto BT.

296636569.png
    Seems to be back to normal now, but I wonder if it will be okay at normal hours tomorrow. :S Don't know how I ever lived with dial up. 20kB made the internet nearly unuseable for my normal use.

Never had a ping issue at all even when I had rubbish speeds tho. Weird just noticed that myself and the other person who posted BT speed test images. When it was rubbish both had the ISP as Ireland Online, and when good EsatBT. Maybe just a fluke.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 wildwest

296648952.png My download speed seems back to normal but my upload is usually around 200kb/s

• Registered Users Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Noticed tonight that I was getting fairly slow speeds........99ping 800kbps etc on a 3MB line..
    Gave by Belkin N1 a reboot and am back to normal enough speeds......ping usually hangs under 30ms though..
    296664167.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Connection was back to normal last night. Now the test will be when i get home at around 6 or 6:30 today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Am having similar problems, went on-line to play a little TeamFortress2 for the first time in a while, couldn't find a server with a decent ping. I usually wouldn't try to connect to a server unless I had a ping of about 50 or lower, last night couldn't find any servers below 100 really. My line stats (attenuation, SNR) appear to be the same as ever though, can't really understand why there is a problem :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

At home now for a while, pinged boards and eircom home page and getting 30ms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Bohrio

I have been told that eircom believe to have fixed this issue late last night...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Still think there's something going on..
    Noticed this morning that the speed wasn't quite right....approx 1/2 of a 3mb connection....Ping was up around 80ms..
    Gave my router another reboot and am back to normal"ish" for the time being..

296890315.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

18.16 now and its still holding up... in fact my pings seem to have improved slightly (UTV):

Pinging home.eircom.net [159.134.198.138] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=56
    Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=56
    Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=25ms TTL=56
    Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=19ms TTL=56

• Registered Users Posts: 24 wildwest

They must have fixed something my speeds this evening are the best I have ever received hope it lasts. 296970605.png

Not happy with mine...

297017885.png

Also the downstream info looks rubbish. Isn't it high Noise low attenuation?
    Mine are back to front. :(

And what about that capacity occupation - 80%. Does that mean I am sharing with loads of people?

DownstreamNoiseMargin.jpg?t=1216238810

Again, the Limerick server is providing better results ping wise and upload wise. :confused:

297033704.png

everythings back to normal for me on my 3Mb UTV( although was slower earlier )
    297082381.png

297082970.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

kleefarr wrote: »
    Isn't it high Noise low attenuation?
    Yes
    kleefarr wrote:
    And what about that capacity occupation - 80%. Does that mean I am sharing with loads of people?

No. Afair, it's a measure of the capacity of your line. It's running at 80% capacity. You're currently on 3 meg so when the upgrades come you'll get approx 20% more speed. The calculation is done by the modem based on your current sync speed and your line stats (SNR & attenuation).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

lmimmfn wrote: »
    everythings back to normal for me on my 3Mb UTV( although was slower earlier )
    297082381.png

297082970.png
    Those are certainly not normal 3mb speeds- you should be getting at least 2600kbps download and over 320kbps upload. If those results are what you normally get then there is a problem with your connection. Ping is very bad too.

rc28 wrote: »
    Those are certainly not normal 3mb speeds- you should be getting at least 2600kbps download and over 320kbps upload. If those results are what you normally get then there is a problem with your connection. Ping is very bad too.
    ahh, i know, dont get me started, waited 6 months and fighting with eircon to get a phoneline connected then $hit speeds like that and spent the past 6 months trying to get it sorted, eircon just say its rate adaptive and its fine lol.
    Were moving house soon to get decent speeds, havnt played my fav game - Battlefield 2 in over a year because of it, grrrr, i hate eircon, but the speeds seem to be back to normal for me on my crap connection

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Yarnhall

Hopefully it will say ok, 3Mb UTV

Download speed 2363 Kbps (socket test)
    Upload speed 314 Kbps (socket test)
    Quality of service 80 %
    Maximum delay 336 ms
    Round trip time 1 ms
    Upstream jitter 0.5 ms
    Upstream packet loss 0 %
    Upstream packet order 100 %
    Upstream discards 0 %
    297112921.png