Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband being incredibly slow.. why?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Yarnhall wrote: »
    More pr0n for me

The QoS is crap, usually about 99%
    lol, i have better QoS for my prOn:
    Download speed 1267 Kbps (socket test)
    Upload speed 55 Kbps (socket test)
    Quality of service 95 %
    Maximum delay 59 ms
    Round trip time 77 ms
    Upstream jitter 22.7 ms
    Upstream packet loss 0 %
    Upstream packet order 100 %
    Upstream discards 0 %
    I win at summit when it comes to broadband, wow, lol
    Yarnhall wrote: »
    Download speed 2363 Kbps (socket test)
    Upload speed 314 Kbps (socket test)
    Quality of service 80 %
    Maximum delay 336 ms
    Round trip time 1 ms
    Upstream jitter 0.5 ms
    Upstream packet loss 0 %
    Upstream packet order 100 %
    Upstream discards 0 %

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Yes

No. Afair, it's a measure of the capacity of your line. It's running at 80% capacity. You're currently on 3 meg so when the upgrades come you'll get approx 20% more speed. The calculation is done by the modem based on your current sync speed and your line stats (SNR & attenuation).

You mean 20% on top of my current speed? That won't be anywhere near 7.8MB will it?

I'm sure it wasn't that bad a while ago. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

kleefarr wrote: »
    You mean 20% on top of my current speed? That won't be anywhere near 7.8MB will it?
    Correct. It's only questimate by the modem so like all the DSL calculators it's not 100% accurate.
    I'm sure it wasn't that bad a while ago. :(
    Clear your line of everything, even filters, and reset the modem. See if your stats improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Correct. It's only questimate by the modem so like all the DSL calculators it's not 100% accurate.

Clear your line of everything, even filters, and reset the modem. See if your stats improve.

I downloaded a couple of files to see what speed I would get a few minutes ago without changing anything...

Downloadspeed.jpg?t=1216304064

Would seem I'm getting close to the max for a 3MB connection at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 firesniffer

Hey.
    I have Eircom Broadband, and today, I went onto my Garry's Mod server to find that I was getting 400 ping! I would usually get less than 20 ping when I went on. I decided to reboot my computer to see if that would help. It didn't help. I am running a web server on my connection, and have been running one for well over 2 years now. I checked the ping on my server and it was 400ms on there as well. So I restarted my (netopia) router several times, I even changed my DNS servers to OpenDNS. No change in speed.

I am paying for 2048k DSL, and when I did a test on speedtest.net, I was not happy with the results.
    296149795.png
    I have no idea, why I am getting download speeds that are 7.5 times slower than what I am paying for. Does anyone know how I can fix this problem? Is anyone else having this problem? I'm in the South Tipperary area, Clonmel to be exact.

Thanks,
    -Steve :confused:
    Just wondered with all you guys are you still experiencing your crap speeds or did you get them sorted. if so how ? ... I am experiencing terrible speeds with eircom, like on a 7.2 meg connection at the weekends I might get speeds as low as 4kbps . just barely enough to connect.
    Just wondered guys, maybe you might share with us how you encountered the crap being offered at the present.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭steamjetjoe

Same here with Eircom speed yesterday & today. I pay for 3mb speed im currently getting d/l 142kb/s & U/L 172kb/s & ping 484ms. If Eircom was carrying out maintenance & notified me of this I wouldnt mind so much.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Here's my 3MB

352087649.png

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭osnoyl

352097400.png 3 mb

• Registered Users Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Damien360

353099358.png

My line is supposed to be 3Mb from Eircom. My ping is consistently about 300ms and it makes online gaming impossible. It was much more stable and gave 90% of the speed when on 2Mb line. Anyone know why eircom has gone to pot ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

353154295.png in Cork city on the Wellington rd exchange. Mines grand most of the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Madman08

Howdy folks, I've been trolling for a while, every now and then, but
    when a friend notified me that folks like your good selves were experiencing the
    same problem as me (exactly the same problem at that), I figured
    I'd say my piece.

Anyways, I'm based in Mullingar and I've been having the same chronic problems
    with Eircom Broadband too. It started happening last week or so and I
    figured they were just upgrading my local exchange. Seems I had that right.

My speeds were 100Kb d/l and about the same if not at fraction higher
    for Upload speeds. My pings were between 400Ms - 600Ms no matter
    what server I pinged to. I'm meant to be on 3Mb (upgrade from 2Mb last week or so)

As a gamer, this was crippling any intended online play. :mad:

Anyways it got to a boiling point which is rare for me with my long fuse
    and I rang Eircom on Friday.

I rang the *insert expletive*s and was greeted with some lady who was sighing on the line
    and she even let a F out of her as well when checking my line. After saying my
    piece I was greeted with silence from the other end of the line. (She didn’t tell me what she was doing,
    she just went quiet) then simply says to me, “your line is fine”.

WTF !!! I said, no its not….blah blah blah, are you doing works on the line ??

“Your line is fine”.

Well I said I’m getting this and that speeds and I said that It looks like it’s only happened since the
    exchange upgrade and blah blah blah….more silence for a few mins

Then: “it looks like we’re not finished upgrading your line yet. It should be finished by now
    but if you wait for another few working days it should be fine….try again on Tuesday….”

What a load of rubbish. It felt like pure fob-off tactics from her.
    I was ragin’ when I got off the phone !!

If it ain’t fixed on Tue…another phone call’ll be made, this time to disconnect
    the BB and get Metro in instead….well I might get Metro in first and then
    tell EC to shove it.

/Rant. :D

Madman08 wrote: »
    Anyways, I'm based in Mullingar and I've been having the same chronic problems
    with Eircom Broadband too. It started happening last week or so and I
    figured they were just upgrading my local exchange. Seems I had that right.
    Lodge a complaint with Eircom and then give Comreg a call and tell them whats happening, the more complaints to Comreg the better, something actually might get done.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Madman08

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Lodge a complaint with Eircom and then give Comreg a call and tell them whats happening, the more complaints to Comreg the better, something actually might get done.

I reckon I'm gonna give them til mid week. If my issues aren't resolved, I'll
    be making that complaint and thereafter I'll switch provider.

I'm certainly not going to hang around for Eircom to fix the problem that
    they have created !!:rolleyes::)

Some hope and no hope :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

I reckon I'm gonna give them til mid week. If my issues aren't resolved, I'll
    be making that complaint and thereafter I'll switch provider.

Heck if this isn't fixed in the next day or so I'm just gonna get a 3 Modem, even that's better then what I'm currently getting with eircom.

Current uptime - Almost 2 minutes, probaly will get the red light before I submit this :mad:

Don't wait for Tues Madman 08 ring them everyday
    They piss me off when they do these tests and tell you the line is ok
    Eircom get a grip if the lines were ok why in the name of jesus would
    we be ringing you .. These call center guys do these tests and we could tell
    them what they see ourselves if they would ask us, we read the same info from our routers. But the exchange reading and what we are getting at
    home are two entirely different things ..

EIRCOM STOP PATRONISING US AND TREATING US LIKE WE DON'T KNOW WHAT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT.
    MOST CALLERS ACTUALLY KNOW A GREAT DEAL MORE THAN THE CALL CENTER AGENTS.

And no disrespect is intended to you agents, I know it's a job you have to do to the level you are trained.
    But you are just unfortunate you are first in the firing line
    as the the rest of the chickin s***s hide behind you.

Now there is also a reference to comreg made here in fact several of them
    well here is a message from me .. along with the numerous complaints lodged .... Make Eircom Accountable stop letting them away with providing dial up speeds and calling it broadband. I had better 5 years ago on my dual line isdn connection.

And another thing comreg stop allowing Eircom have a selective customer complaints body. Either they start to cover their entire product range
    INCLUDING THEIR BROADBAND or start fining them.
    You cant have a customer complaints section for eircom products
    and exclude a product, simply because they can't handle the volume of complaints.

If a customer does not get what they are paying for there should be
    some form of comeback in the customers favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

EIRCOM STOP PATRONISING US AND TREATING US LIKE WE DON'T KNOW WHAT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT.
    MOST CALLERS ACTUALLY KNOW A GREAT DEAL MORE THAN THE CALL CENTER AGENTS.

Hehe, work in a call centre for a while and tell me that after a few days. What you do not realise is that in every call centre it is ultimately whats on the system that counts when talking to the higher ups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 kreative

354276428.png

Got speed upgrades a few weeks ago from Imagine - very unstable with rediculous pings :( can't game anymore at all - need to find a new provider!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 CianDoherty100

Im getting the same thing, its at like 300 kps aprox around 12 noon to 12 at night. Then its like 2 to 2.5 aprox at night, this is ruining my gaming @_@ Im up in Donegal by the way.

Iv been getting this for about 2 weeks by Friday.

I rang them up, did the whole trouble shoot thing with the Call Center people and now theyre sending out a Techie. I wouldnt be so angry if they would have told me broadband would be **** for awhile!

If this keeps up for another week, I dont see why I should pay for this months connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

well tonight at about 11:30 my bb died until now 3:30 am

Highly bizzare.

• Advertisement

Phototoxin wrote: »
    well tonight at about 11:30 my bb died until now 3:30 am

Highly bizzare.

every night mine just plummets
    and come the weekend it dies, like yourself it wont even open a page
    as pointed out I am supposed to be on a 24/1 CR, and I am beginning to think I am grouped with 24 of the highest down loaders in the country ...

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭piskins72

I recently upgraded to the 7meg one by Eircom, it was perfect for the first week, speeds at nite up to 5.5 which was great, but in the last week its dire, last nite it dropped to almost 150 kpbs, upload was faster!!!

presently its at ..

358583230.png

give it another hour or so and it will be crap again!!! :mad:

piskins72 wrote: »
    I recently upgraded to the 7meg one by Eircom, it was perfect for the first week, speeds at nite up to 5.5 which was great, but in the last week its dire, last nite it dropped to almost 150 kpbs, upload was faster!!!

presently its at ..

358583230.png

give it another hour or so and it will be crap again!!! :mad:

I had the same yesterday I got 5432 lasted all of an hour back to 375kbps again I wish those other 23 thats on with me would back off for a while lol
    or maybe I should say 223 I think that would be nearer the truth ..

Looks like Eircom can do what they want :mad:, was onto Comreg and what they have said is basically there is no regulations in place here in Ireland for Broadband nor do Eircom have to provide it.

So if your Broadband is not working, Eircom are under no obligation to fix it, what is the point of Comreg :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

This is getting ridiculous.
    For the past few days my pings have just been unacceptable.
    Pinging home.eircom.net [159.134.198.138] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=451ms TTL=59
    Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=581ms TTL=59
    Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=459ms TTL=59
    Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=492ms TTL=59

Ping statistics for 159.134.198.138:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 451ms, Maximum = 581ms, Average = 495ms
    I'm supposed to get 7.6 Meg, I don't even get 1

359340531.png

blubloblu wrote: »
    This is getting ridiculous.
    For the past few days my pings have just been unacceptable.

I'm supposed to get 7.6 Meg, I don't even get 1

359340531.png

You think that ping is bad, take a look at mine :eek:

Taking ages for a webpage to load also tonight.

359379826.png

esp1cs5.jpg
    Pinging www.boards.ie [89.234.66.107] with 32 bytes of data:
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=2940ms TTL=58
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=3663ms TTL=58
    Ping statistics for 89.234.66.107:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 2, Lost = 2 (50% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 2940ms, Maximum = 3663ms, Average = 3301ms

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭piskins72

359404126.png

I think I can beat that with this at the moment, so bad earlier I went on my Vodafone dongle which is giving me speeds of over 2mb which is a lot better than this at the moment!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

much improved tonite, got over 4mb for the first time - on 7mb package for one week.

First night for me in 5 weeks were my 3MB is working fine, hope it stays this way, either that or everyone is out tonight and not many online.

360032082.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭token56

Getting pings of 715ms with eircom 3 meg line, bloody crazy.

Advertisement