Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P2P (Bittorrent etc) configuration & use discussion...ongoing (Only place to post!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

david7536 wrote: »
    Bittorrent is as fast as the swarm, this means that it is potentially capable of maxing out even gbit/s connections. As i posted earlier i have seen 50mb/s on some sites (half the potential of a gigbait connection, this is a server hosted outside ireland before anyone asks!).This is not to say all users have access to this but to make the point that bittorrent has the potential to have unlimited speed.

What i have said is in no way waffle of hyperbole, it is fact. Rapidshare, filefactory, netload, megauplaod are all only as fast as the server they are hosted on, the majority being 100mbit and some gigabit but remember this is shared between multiple downloaders at any one time. You say they max out your connection 100% of the time? Great, but what is your connection speed? And how is this a counter to my arguement that bittorent can deliver the fastest possible speeds?

You never pay with bittorrent, if you wish to upload and share (as many do, how else do the files get shared?!) you can, thus sharing to the whole community . You think storing files on single servers is a more efficient or less selfish way of distributing than to have it on 100s or thousands of hosts worldwide, think again!

As for your comments on community, well, i cannot even begin to say how wrong that comment is, it does show your glaring lack of familiarity with private sites, topsites and there links to "the scene" (where the vast majority of P2P files are stolen from).

i cant discuss further as am travelling until next week, thanks to all for there input. Maybe a member of a scene group, or topsite admin or some rapidshare or usenet personnel will arrive and help close out this one!!!!

I have used torrents, binary newgroups and Rapidshare. With a 20Mb UPC line I find Rapidshare is head and shoulders better than any other solution.

55 euros for a year, guaranteed always to max your dl, no traffic shaping. I can dl a 700MB movie, unrar it and have it streaming to my PS3 in well under 5 mins.

With a 10GB a day limitation with unused dl's rolling over, I never hit any sort of cap, you can simply dl it faster than you can watch it, even in HD.

Rapidshare can be used on any PC and from any location. I travel alot with work and cannot install torrent software on my work lappy for obvious reasons, I can however dl movies via rapidshare anywhere I go.

Rapidshare's only limitation is the 10GB per day dl cap, this can be shared amongst siblings, friends etc so you can even spread the cost!

If you are not constrained by cost....i.e you are not a student then the 55 euro price for a year is simply irrelevant. Swiss privacy laws ensure your IP and dl details will never make it into the MPAA or anyone elses hands, yes RS may be shut down, but your dl data is safe. The MPAA have tried and failed to takedown RS. RS operates under much the same model as youtube (reactive to complaints about copyright infringement, not proactive against it), this model is under attack in the US where the MPAA and others are taking the owner, Google, to task, but as RS is not a US company it does not demostrate any sort of precedent.

Ofc I only ever dl GB after GB of linux distros and retro stuff out of copyright.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

As with the rest of you my BB's been acting very funny for the past few days.
    Links take ages to start, then fly down for a few seconds then stop.
    Initially I thought it was just a few sets of bad links but not at this stage.
    I've had approx half of all my attempts not download fully.
    Torrents seem OK, as does general browsing.
    Speedtest is bang on, 10mb as it should be.
    Are UPC blocking?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Tooorbooo

Im two weeks with UPC have 20mb package, earlier i could get 2,3meg speed downloading with uttorent, now im just getting poor speed about 400kb/s, tryed with rapidshare - speed is OK,but with torrents crap...maybe upc trottling,any ideas whats happening???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

upc are ntl are they, I've noticed my speeds have gone way down too, was getting 350KB now I can't get over 50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 sunnyman2

i was going to ring up upc to get their 10mb broadband today, but reading about the poor torrent speeds im not so sure, im sick of ****ty eircon 1mb,

i would be using mainly for torrents, still a good idea to order? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 13

i have a feeling they have started throttling bitorrent. its possible they just target heavy users who exceed a monthly threshold, not sure if this cap is reset or remains in place.

http://broadband.mpi-sws.mpg.de/transparency/bttest.php theres a bitorrent throttling test there you might wanna try, my results below.

Is BitTorrent traffic on a well-known BitTorrent port (6881) throttled?

* The BitTorrent upload (seeding) worked. Our tool was successful in uploading data using the BitTorrent protocol.

* Your ISP possibly rate limits your BitTorrent uploads. In our tests a TCP uploads achieved minimal 49 Kbps while a BitTorrent upload achieved maximal 11 Kbps. You can find details here.

* The BitTorrent download worked. Our tool was successful in downloading data using the BitTorrent protocol.

* There's no indication that your ISP rate limits your BitTorrent downloads. In our tests a TCP download achieved minimal 46 Kbps while a BitTorrent download achieved maximal 47 Kbps. You can find details here.

Is BitTorrent traffic on a non-standard BitTorrent port (10009) throttled?

* The BitTorrent upload (seeding) worked. Our tool was successful in uploading data using the BitTorrent protocol.

* Your ISP possibly rate limits your BitTorrent uploads. In our tests a TCP uploads achieved minimal 1168 Kbps while a BitTorrent upload achieved maximal 30 Kbps. You can find details here.

* The BitTorrent download worked. Our tool was successful in downloading data using the BitTorrent protocol.

* There's no indication that your ISP rate limits your BitTorrent downloads. In our tests a TCP download achieved minimal 49 Kbps while a BitTorrent download achieved maximal 45 Kbps. You can find details here.

Is TCP traffic on a well-known BitTorrent port (6881) throttled?

* There's no indication that your ISP rate limits all downloads at port 6881. In our test, a TCP download on a BitTorrent port achieved at least 46 Kbps while a TCP download on a non-BitTorrent port achieved at least 49 Kbps. You can find details here.

* Your ISP possibly rate limits all uploads at port 6881. In our test, a TCP upload on a BitTorrent port achieved at least 49 Kbps while a TCP upload on a non-BitTorrent port achieved at least 1168 Kbps. You can find details here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 coopzero

In case it helps... using UPC 20Mb. Everything works ok, including torrents.
    However, emule has been almost dead since Wednesday (getting 5kb/sec at most). It connects fine (high id and everything), finds sources as usual, but there's pretty much no traffic (up or down).

I guess it's possible, but I'd be impressed if it was traffic shaping. Wouldn't have thought NTL/UPC had the skills :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

My torrents are extremely slow tonight. None go over 20KB/s - I'm on 10mbps from NTL/UPC. Pretty sure they are throttling.

do you think if you rang and asked if they throttle bittorrent traffic would they give an honest reply

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

MooseJam wrote: »
    do you think if you rang and asked if they throttle bittorrent traffic would they give an honest reply
    you have to have a genuine software that uses bittorrent like technology to download itself. World Of Warcraft client comes to mind and subsequent patches needed for it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

adnans wrote: »
    you have to have a genuine software that uses bittorrent like technology to download itself. World Of Warcraft client comes to mind and subsequent patches needed for it.
    You need to download linux isos or rainbow tables.. Seems legit to me :)

adnans wrote: »

Um, there are millions of legitimate uses for any bittorrent client. It's not only useful for WoW updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭expatoz

upc/ntl very bad in limerick over the past week
    they must be throttling, getting 18,000 on speed test but at the same time can't even watch a clip on youtube, dc++ is a disaster and torrents are slow. only thing working is rapidshare. everything else is timing out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

They are most definitely throttling bittorrent. Speeds will not go above 30KB/sec, even with privates site that usually max my connection speed out.

Speedtest.net shows my download speed is fine.

20MB UPC(and regretting it.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

I'm getting better than ye on a sh1tty EDGE CONNETCION :):):):):) :P

so if chorus throttling torrents, maybe its better to change to SMART 24meg package for people who mostly downloading just torrents, or there is other way or option how to fix this? Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Torrents crippled on UPC 10 mb for me now.
    Can download but no upload. :mad:

Can anything be done?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

I've absolutely NO upload at all. Dunno what can be done about it

So I just signed up to rapidshare, where's the best place to find stuff, is there like a rapidshare equivalent of torrentz.com , I don't have to go trawling through forums to find stuff do I cause that would suck big time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭alec76

I don't have to go trawling through forums to find stuff do I cause that would suck big time
    google : Newsgroups or usenet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

So I just signed up to rapidshare, where's the best place to find stuff, is there like a rapidshare equivalent of torrentz.com , I don't have to go trawling through forums to find stuff do I cause that would suck big time

SNIP

Should really have a look at the forums too though. You'll be amazed by the sheer volume of stuff to be found on them. And if you're ever after anything in particular just do a search and 9 out of 10 times you'll find what you're after.

SNIP
    SNIP

thanks for the links guy's, am downloading now, very impressed with the speed - getting 1.3 mb/sec, a lot better than the lousy 60 or 80 KB/sec NTL would let me have via bittorrent - the scoundrels

Yup, my bandwidth on standard TCP is 10mbps, but on bittorrent it won't go over 29KB/s

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

el dude banned for a week for posting warez links, links removed!

I e-mailed NTL to get a confirmation on the throttling. Will update when they reply.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

dlofnep wrote: »
    I e-mailed NTL to get a confirmation on the throttling. Will update when they reply.

why bother, all NTL's packages have a FUP and the FUP says
    Section 3: Data Transfer Allowances, Excessive Use and Other Limitations

UPC broadband services are intended for normal recreational or educational use by individuals and families and our pricing and network architecture have been designed accordingly. The Services are strictly for residential use only - commercial use of any kind is prohibited. Customers who use the services more heavily than a normal home user will reduce the performance of the network for other customers.

Your monthly data transfer allowance depends upon which broadband package you have selected. The data transfer allowances for the various packages can be found at www.upc.ie . All monthly data transfer allowances refer to the cumulative amount of data uploaded and downloaded per month, unless otherwise specified in your particular package. For purposes of illustration only, 1 gigabyte downstream of data transfer equates to approximately 200 music tracks, 650 short videos, 10,000 pictures or around 100 large software programmes downloaded.

“Excessive use” of the Service is defined as usage exceeding your monthly data transfer allowance.

If you exceed your monthly data transfer allowance as determined by UPC, in our sole judgment, UPC may take any of the following actions, or any combination thereof:

· Impose a charge of 3 cent per megabyte or part thereof for exceeding your data transfer limit; and/or

· Upgrade your package to a package with a higher data transfer limit with the corresponding higher monthly fee; and/or

· Downgrade your upload and download speed for a period of one month to dial-up speed, with your monthly fee remaining the same; and/or

· Suspend your access to the services for one month, with your monthly fee remaining the same; and/or

· Terminate your account as per the terms of the User Policy and UPC Terms and Conditions.

rest is here - http://www.upc.ie/acceptableusagepolicy

dlofnep, you should know well enough that the average joe support staff member is not going to give you more insight then whats on there website.

well I'm on the 10 meg which has no cap so I'm incapable of “Excessive use” by their terms so is anyone on the 20 meg line

“Excessive use” of the Service is defined as usage exceeding your monthly data transfer allowance" - not possible on 10 or 20 meg line

but chorus with 20meg package there is no limits for downloading.... and the problem is just with torrents not with rapidshare or etc... any other ideas what to do, or how to overcome that throttling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

Yeah, theres no cap on the 20MB. I'm also not downloading much. Its about the same as when I was on the 6MB line :\

On top of that my internet has been faffing about since yesterday. The modem isn't disconnecting, its staying linked. Just for 5-10 seconds at at ime internet hasn't been responding. Although it might not be entirely NTL's fault, because my friend who is on Eircom had the exact same problem the day before, and he never gets internet problems. Could this maybe have something to do with it?

Oh yeah, I've only been getting throttled about 3-4 days now I think.

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    why bother, all NTL's packages have a FUP and the FUP says

rest is here - http://www.upc.ie/acceptableusagepolicy

dlofnep, you should know well enough that the average joe support staff member is not going to give you more insight then whats on there website.

I'm aware of what the FUP states. I have not exceeded their FUP. Therefore, there are not within their rights to throttle my connection.

Advertisement