Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P2P (Bittorrent etc) configuration & use discussion...ongoing (Only place to post!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭corkstudent

Direct Connect/Apex DC++ still doesn't work for me, at all.

I read a couple of posts suggesting to open a massive number of ports. Could you not just use the uPnP feature on some routers to open/close the ports as necessary? I use it and never had problems with port forwarding on torrents.
    MooseJam wrote: »
    So I read on another forum than bittorent can damage or kill your hard drive, I would imagine this is true - I have mine running 24/7, the drive activity light flashes all day long, I'm sure this will lessen the life of the drive, I think I might invest in a 160gig disk and use it for downloading then move completed ones to a storage drive

Personally I think Vista with SuperFetch and search indexing running is probably just as bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭corkstudent

Torrents are no longer connecting at all on Chorus 10mb, until about 15 minutes in. Then it connects very slowly.

This is very frustrating when I'm just looking to torrent small apps and older material that I could find elsewhere if they were currently actively hosted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,478 ✭✭✭✭guil

dunno if its bein covered already but what max upload and download should i set on utorrent, i have 20 mb upc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Moved from BT LLU to UPC 20mb conn last week.

Torrent speeds aren't as good as I was getting on BT with the same settings in utorrent.

rs.com speeds are grand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 spektr

Direct Connect/Apex DC++ still doesn't work for me, at all.

is ntl still blocking dc++ and slsk? it's going to be whole year since they have been doing that in november.
    I guess they also keep saying "that's the problem which is going to be fixed soon"? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 getitonup

i have irish broadband ripwave 512kb
    4-9kbps when DLing files on utorrent it done the job for a few years but were moving up to 3mb broadband netweek on the irish broadband i think its called breeze 3mb anyone else have this? if so what could i expect the DL speeds to be at then??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

kaimera wrote: »

rs.com speeds are grand.

whats rs.com ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

MooseJam wrote: »
    whats rs.com ?
    rapidshare i would imagine.

oh yea, pretty obvious lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

Just got upgraded to UPC 20 Meg 2 days ago, and I've noticed that my uTorrent will not upload any faster than 35k/sec overall, even with multiple torrents connected to peers. I've opened ports, I've my upload set to unlimited, but it just won't go faster. I'm using a private site of course, and I get up to 2.3MB/sec on my downloads so theres obviously no throttling going on by UPC. Could they be throttling my upload?

I guess it could be the tracker or the site limiting upload speeds, but why would that be in their best interest?

I've tested FTP transfers to a friend and he can download at 180K/sec off me. I've tried Bittornado, Azeureus, and uTorrent, none of them get a decent upload speed going.

Anyone got any ideas what it could be?

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

LOL - Nice thread, thats a lot of people downloading Linux Distis, 'small apps' and 'older materials' !! Ah ah ah.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

just wondering if this has been done or what anyone would think as a way to get the last little bit of a file when seeders disappear - aren't there some archive formats that add forward error control information ?

you add say 5% redundant info to a file so that instead of sharing a 100MB file you are sharing a 105MB file. Also means you are reserving space on the disk for a 105MB file.

You aren't downloading the full 105MB though you only need 100MB of it since you can recreate the missing 5MB easily

Overall bandwidth is the almost the same, disk usage is a little higher since you'd have to extract the files, but you aren't stuck waiting for the last 1% of a file

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭NeVeR

I'm on NTL (10mb) and i was getting only 2kps or something stupid like that.

I set up port forwarding and it's all good now, Getting up download speed using Utorrent,
    only took 20 min to setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Good thread here..
    Well i'm having issues with Eircom

I recently switched from UTV, thought i'd give it a go for a few months to see how it worked out

I'm running uTorrent and the speeds are very slow, i tried following the steps on www.portforward.com, but cant get it to work.

Any help wopuld be appreciated!

Are you using the standard Eircom Netopia router? If so log in to http://192.168.1.254 and click the Firewall option on the left. Set it to Low and save changes. The Medium setting doesn't allow incoming connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭DRice

torrents are not working for me at all on NTL.
    sing utorrent on port 80 any ideas?
    using a random port is not working either

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dingdong1234567

In the last day or so Utorrent has been showing no incoming connections, but yet the download speed of the privet torrents are not bad (UTV 3MB). Getting circa 100-250kb/s.

Sometimes the speed will dip to speeds of 20-50kb/s.

I'm aware that recently UTV speeds have been craptastic, but at the mo its not bad. I have forwarded the ports correctly as per portforward.com and set up the static ip etc etc.

Just wondering is anyone else getting this with utorrent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 13

downloads/uploads have gone to sh*t here with UPC/NTL today.. have they started throttling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭DisasterIRL

Hate that, you need to get yourself an invite to a private site such as demonoid.

I am getting 300kbs easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

13 wrote: »
    downloads/uploads have gone to sh*t here with UPC/NTL today.. have they started throttling?

Was starting to think that myself. Wasn't getting anything like the speeds i ought to be getting. But i've sinced tried out a few of the same torrents on deluge(was using utorrent), and its full speed ahead. I've even tried installing an older build of utorrent and its still slow.

Strange.

Really don't know why i don't just bite the bullet and go with rapidshare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

13 wrote: »

it would look like it. very very slow speeds.

Any chance this is just UPC coming down on heavy users? Have to admit i sometimes get carried away with what i'm downloading.

What about you guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭DisasterIRL

Actually have to agree, just checked there, this sucks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

el dude wrote: »
    Any chance this is just UPC coming down on heavy users? Have to admit i sometimes get carried away with what i'm downloading.

What about you guys?
    yesterday i had some ports blocked which was random, and after speaking to them it seems to have cleared overnight. but im having issues with another port which i'll call them about soon and of course slow slow speeds.

edit: dont think they're coming down on heavy users since certain types of traffic still peak at 2.3mb/sec if you're on the 20mb connection. something else is up ( or down in this case)

-adnans

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Bundy89

Soulseek is now working on NTL/UPC just to let you's folk know...

about time... as well

Bundy

I think I'll try out one of the direct download sites, which is the best one ? and do they have big files like 7 or 8 gigs or is 700 odd meg the biggest you would find ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Much better speeds today now.

Though, in my panicked state i managed to wrangle myself a months RS. Christ, it feels like taking one of those very clean dumps.

Definitely the way to go. Only €7 for a month too, though i traded mine for an invite to a private tracker.

Advertisement