Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[MERGED] Your Main PC - Pictures, specs and discussion <IMAGE HEAVY>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭game4it70

I saw that build on ocuk and thought it sounded familiar :D
    Nice builld.

Here are the pics from that thread for others to see.

Ninja'd by Danger :P :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Also saw it on ocuk, first thing that struck me was the lovely green glow, feels all warm :P

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Siskods9

Ok so now I can post pics - only have a few though more will follow in the coming days!

Ah I see someone else posted for me already!

Thank you :-)

I got some nice LEDs from Amazon for the back of the monitor and the edge of my desk.
    They come with a little controller and you can produce lots of different colours and effects.

The blue and the green worked for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Wouldn't mind seeing some pics of the other side of the case too. Interesting in where you stuffed all the WC gear and cables.

Very nice build mate. I've been thinking about doing something similar myself for a few months now, and this is pretty close to what I have in my head. How do you find the case? Any negatives?

• Advertisement

The case wound up pretty expensive in the end as I bought quite a few optional extra for it.

The lead time from Caselabs and the $200 USD delivery fee + customs taxes on entering Ireland made me want to ensure I didn't have to go back to them for anything else.

Superb quality case I have to say, highly recommended.

Serephucus wrote: »
    Wouldn't mind seeing some pics of the other side of the case too. Interesting in where you stuffed all the WC gear and cables.

Very nice build mate. I've been thinking about doing something similar myself for a few months now, and this is pretty close to what I have in my head. How do you find the case? Any negatives?

Cheers...

Negatives?

Primary one is cost. I didn't have much change from a grand when all was said and done. Weight of the finished system + coolant etc was a concern too but the desk is sturdy with metal throughout so no issue there but lets put it this way, I wouldn't pick it up too handy :-)

I had an idea in advance of what I wanted to do with it but I quickly learned that all that size vanishes very quickly when you add in 3 chunky 360 rads.

I also deliberately chose my parts so I wouldn't have to do any modding as such. No point in paying a grand for a case only to arse it up with a drill...
    Been building systems since '94 but don't really have much in the way of modding experience.

The whole thing was a great learning experience as its the most complex WC build I've done to date.

€11k later Mr VISA loves me :D

My only negative re Caslabs is the lack of any engineered dust filter solution on their cases.

On some of the pics I will post later in the week, I'll demonstrate my own solution, which has been effective to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Three rads? Nice! 1 on the mobo side and two on the other I take it?

What's the noise like in that thing? With most of the WC builds I've done I've gone for as few fans as possible - I've actually never had a system with more than five - 'cause I figured more fans on low is worse than less on medium, but I could be wrong...

Side question: What's the little thing, closest to the bottom left corner of the monitor? I'm thinking bluetooth headset. :)

Other negatives in general on this build...

1) I bought but chose not to use expensive QDCs (Quick Disconnects) from Swiftech.

2) Obviously there were some superfluous parts (none of which were cheap), a 240 rad and some BitsPower fittings etc.

3) I wanted to go with a particular coolant from Mayhems - 'Aurora Extinction Green' but it turns out that it isn't suitable for anything other than exhibitions and LAN parties for showing your rig off as it needs to be drained every 6 months and isn't suited for bay reservoirs.

4) I had a Samsung M.2 SSD drive die on me in a week or two of building the box. Very annoying, those M.2 drives run very hot and don't come with any type of Heatsink. The replacement Intel 750 series PCI-E NVMe drive is far better in my experience.

5) Rads never come with the right amount of the right screws! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

€11k for a computer! Congrats on your lotto win mate :D

Serephucus wrote: »
    Three rads? Nice! 1 on the mobo side and two on the other I take it?

What's the noise like in that thing? With most of the WC builds I've done I've gone for as few fans as possible - I've actually never had a system with more than five - 'cause I figured more fans on low is worse than less on medium, but I could be wrong...

Side question: What's the little thing, closest to the bottom left corner of the monitor? I'm thinking bluetooth headset. :)

No headset in any of those pics M8 just a messy desk! LOL there are some wrappers and a box cutter and some other junk... If you see the glass orb on the left by the lava lamp - that's my headphone stand / holder thingy. I use wireless Creative Labs Omega 3D Tactics kit. Those headphones have a WiFi base station on the desk that connects to the PC via USB cable and there is also a wireless receiver on the desk for my XBox controller which also connects back to the PC via USB cable.

Noise levels are insanely low but I knew they would be.
    I put a lot of research into the choice of fan, I used 24 of them so I had to.
    Set them to a PWM profile preset in the BIOS so no need for a fan controller.
    I have 6 per rad, I'm doing push / pull.
    All Rads are pulling air in from outside.
    On the bottom of the system board chamber in the case (its split into a motherboard side and a PSU side) I have 3 fans all pulling air in
    At the back of the case I have an exhaust fan
    At the front of the case under the Bay res - I have another 2 exhaust fans.

Running temps are very satisfactory all at stock but my CPU never goes above 40C while gaming and my Max GPU temp is about 42C while running whisper quiet. Honestly my XBox 360 is much louder!

One other thing, this was my first system with any kind of adaptive frame sync tech between the GPU and monitor.

In this case its G-Sync as its an Nvidia SLI system but G-Sync @ 144Hz / 1440p is sweet indeed. It needs to be seen but to me its up there with the introduction of SSD tech some years back in terms of its impact on my PC experience.

superg wrote: »
    €11k for a computer! Congrats on your lotto win mate :D

Yep definitely selling a kidney on Ebay to pay this off :D

I'd chalk up probably 15% on delivery costs especially from America and import duty etc and a very weak Euro. Exchange rates killed me.

It also could have been neater from a wiring POV if I had sleeving skills and could use custom length fan extension cables etc.

Yep sleeving skills would have been great.

Now that i meet the minimum post count - I'll post more pics myself later in the week, both sides, inside and out etc.

Fire Strike Extreme - defaults + all components at stock / res for benchmarking was 1440p

Fire%20Strike%20Extreme_zps2u7iqygx.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

This build makes me feel all warm and fuzzy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

Excuse the noob question, But what program do you use to run those benchmarks?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

Siskods9 wrote: »
    Fire Strike Extreme - defaults + all components at stock / res for benchmarking was 1440p

Serious quality build there Siskods. What kind of stuff do you do with it? (Not that you need an excuse!! :)) Spending a grand on a case for me would be absolute lunacy but to each their own. I know caselabs are a top quality product though.

• Advertisement

Aka Ishur wrote: »
    Serious quality build there Siskods. What kind of stuff do you do with it? (Not that you need an excuse!! :)) Spending a grand on a case for me would be absolute lunacy but to each their own. I know caselabs are a top quality product though.

I like to game :-)

Some new pics.

More internal shots to come but here's a few new ones nonetheless.

IMG_0006_zpsksyovgnl.jpg

IMG_0010_zpskjpfze0e.jpg

IMG_0012_zps9midhnle.jpg

IMG_0011_zpsy0qpwicr.jpg

IMG_0007_zpsy7mjyecz.jpg

Another gripe was using the Intel 750 series in the bottom PCI-E slot (as is required if your don't want to force your dual GPUs to run at PCI-E x8 mode instead of x16 speeds at least on this mobo) is that it physically blocks one of the two USB 3.0 motherboard headers so consequently I can only connect up 2 of the 4 USB 3.0 connectors on the front of the case...

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

Do I spy monsoon free center fittings on the bitspower L fittings? Or did bitspower change? If not was it just a style choice?

Aka Ishur wrote: »
    Do I spy monsoon free center fittings on the bitspower L fittings? Or did bitspower change? If not was it just a style choice?

Yes indeed.

I also have green Monsoon G1/4 plugs on all the unused ports on my rads.

Was going for a black and green theme throughout.

Also using metalic green thumbscrews on the PCI slots instead of the the standard black Caselabs screws. Yeah just a personal colour scheme choice.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Thats a beast of a rig you have there man.

Found some WIP pics from when I was building it... So in no particular order...

IMAG0462_zpsys8naizp.jpg

Shakmods in the UK made all my braided PSU cables.

IMG-20150709-WA0009_zpssa6q0dny.jpg

IMG-20150709-WA0008_zpsbfk8cudt.jpg

IMG-20150709-WA0006_zpswtz19udt.jpg

IMAG0466_zpstntd5onf.jpg

IMAG0477_zps8avpg0cn.jpg

IMAG0495_zpslevwhqqe.jpg

IMAG0467_zpshx3gnn5b.jpg

IMAG0465_zpsw0ijwtur.jpg

Just realised that I joined this site back in 2006 and since then have only posted 42 times!

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Just realised that I joined this site back in 2006 and since then have only posted 42 times!

:o

Keep posting builds like that, and we'll let it go (:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I got some nice LEDs from Amazon for the back of the monitor and the edge of my desk.
    They come with a little controller and you can produce lots of different colours and effects.

The blue and the green worked for me...

I have something similar, although I picked them up in IKEA. Like €25 a pack and they come with 4 LED bars and a controller switch. You can have a range of colours solid, or set it to gently cycle through colour changing.

Apologies for the horrendous picture quality, but you get the idea. I've been running a purple them for a while and like it. Also have a set to the left of the picture that lights up some storage units where my consoles and comics are.

Seeing all the pics here makes me want to give a **** about cable management. But really can't bring myself to be arsed doing anything about it

UNSpgp3g-xNzYkC5ZhwF3uBmN2oqr40yqGl83GSl6irXSTd_2DLYYWVNO5oXwE8Uyd7FvTviF6MVow6t0QT13djuZ6l7Bf8xbAmK_S_JIxTHy9Dz9MND9shguqbc1lzVxQnnhnlrZ8zxYl24iGOEiEa_zlKJdq44kje1w3sidg9qOxi1uhO9T47WUvRTVT3MH9uoemljO6t1byqBL6H8QeZfEeuP5G_FpQqbvFoCytbUBpUJn5y1XFDat671xIK4-y-4ulwGZyppJiOqqyk76ujpCXWeGqHf1H10oxRMLGhPQVLnTGpXP7vljxon90bPo1zWi7EENc4vS5yFS6ReCUG5Qr8JuK7ISmCJuzoEn_N8eAdhiMA065a2DtGvPkPxOHSHOPWpk8SdiT6zt8Isl1IjYj5bkHqf-mLx66pprmJOxxQ1_5ZG8PsYluJJCMezWcKRjXa97gkq9MrJ7w-zoR9qspVd7D_yQXH26yZVCiu1XZe567t0dMDTZ80quQXDBn1Qc--9UHzL1y9FxKrk4fjU_bhx9tSYPZ7RonQBtLc=w1274-h955-no

ibSstgNuu-J0FyhN51t4-LElE_jH8lR6_rEcpf1XBXBPJzVMjFAn5kAEqp9Mrc9unYGDAWECAxn-dNO08Kn0NgcrRj1-CL7r3IXKeI9sYj5QZCDfQoppvbufYIW5mwp7np31absAZELv0FelRRE1E3QTjBE3par4oADnNVo8N77dA3DRBJJYc4g7DoGsCL789p5dC7ii-L1UAqtYP81NJZCuIB5C65Zx-iiEMGozbwkvhB55ObKlNPxgNbaWO4_ENHfWZtBh1mxk4FeyQLxMBkjFdl0jTF8vmYb3krZv-gt8w3E82Pus8SWyKhp1clDxPkvMCAvmwaq_-27jl7fNQ7jvCMq91dMJz9JgK4r4-5CCxEjL_iGLhU1FWVLBq74DJOkNHXgOMrgMr22N3ruIBVaanRXTSrmpbfqS6vQRpNNQ55A9InQsk-XCixC7WOUuo2VFUVig7cruwU49v5mqibyiB2YkWbByfD7qdpwchULTNhQG6jLAmzcEsvZRYhC89--s7cFt8M2viSOZP5TSMkejJVRgRnAQZ8az5qTGC5A=w717-h955-no

Advertisement