Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[MERGED] Your Main PC - Pictures, specs and discussion <IMAGE HEAVY>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,963 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Sennheiser HD 598 and Creative Soundblaster X-FI Titanium HD

perfect partnership

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Rocking 595s here. Great headphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Beyerdynamic dt-770 pro and creative xtrememusic, not a half bad sound card for the price. Have been thinking of upgrading for a while... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

eth0 wrote: »
    whats the yoke on the right with 1 cable going into the front? an amp?

which keyboard is it and is it and is it any good?

It's a NAD 3020e speaker amp. I'm using the headphone section for my AD700s, it sounds very good.

Keyboard is a Noppoo Choc Mini with MX Reds. It's great although I wish it were ISO layout (eg http://deskthority.net/photos-videos-f8/ducky-g2pro-tenkeyless-t3622.html)

CRT is a Sun GDM 5010 which uses a Sony Trinitron tube. It will do 160 Hz at 640x480, 140 Hz at 800x600, 120 Hz at 1024x768 and so on. I am using 120 Hz at 800x600 for TF2, it is an amazing step up from the 60 Hz of my Catleap.
    ED E wrote: »
    Brian is a bit of an audiophile iirc, got the proper kit to power his cans(assume the amp is taking a digital line from his PC).

Right now it's just amping the headphone-out from my PC integrated soundcard. I have a USB DAC (Stoner Acoustics UD100) on the way which will give me line-out.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Brian wrote: »
    CRT is a Sun GDM 5010 which uses a Sony Trinitron tube. It will do 160 Hz at 640x480, 140 Hz at 800x600, 120 Hz at 1024x768 and so on. I am using 120 Hz at 800x600 for TF2, it is an amazing step up from the 60 Hz of my Catleap.
    Is it really worth the tradeoff in res for the refresh rate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

I actually picked up some new headphones in Xmusic last week; KRK KNS 8400s. Great little pair of studio monitors for the price (got them for €140).

yeah, there are a fair few 120hz monitors floating around these days.

Burgo wrote: »
    yeah, there are a fair few 120hz monitors floating around these days.

Oh I know, and I get it at 1080p, but I dont know that I could keep my sanity at 800x600.

I went from 2560x1440 @ 60 Hz IPS to 800x600 @ 120 Hz CRT and my KDR doubled to put it bluntly. Also the CRT was free.

I went from 2560x1440 @ 60 Hz IPS to 800x600 @ 120 Hz CRT and my KDR doubled to put it bluntly. Also the CRT was free.

Why oh why did I let the aul fella throw out all our CRTs...had about 6 of them at the peak of things. Gonna go a scavenging.

Problem is, where would I put it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Doubled? Are you sure that the placebo effect isn't what's happening here?

My gut feeling would be that that would have been part of it, alright...

I'm sure it helped alright, no question. I wouldn't have thought a doubling would be possible unless the framerate really is your bottleneck. When you take into account keyboard (though probably not too much of an issue with a Red switch), and mouse, mouse surface, lighting conditions in the room, temperatures (sweat in your mouse hand, etc.) I guess my point is that I'd think there are a lot of other contributing factors that are higher on the list than monitor refresh rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

"I went from 1:30 to 1:15 overnight!"

My KDR didn't actually double, because KDR doesn't matter at all in TF2 and I don't keep track of it. I was just using general terms. The improvement is vast.

Oh I know, and I get it at 1080p, but I dont know that I could keep my sanity at 800x600.

Using non-native resolutions looks much better on a CRT than an LCD (since it doesn't really have a native res), so it isn't as much of an issue as gaming at 800x600 on an LCD which would be horrid :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭bren50c

i know i've heard another argument for CRTs. was it that color reproduction was more accurate or something and that graphic designers still used them. dont' know if there's any truth to that. presumably they've switched to ips flat panels now though too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

This is my main computer, it will be 4 years old this January, if i remember correctly i think i built it on the 18th Jan 2009. Some of the parts are even older then 4 years but still good i think. I was one of the first people to buy into the I7.

Case : Antec 900
    CPU : i7 920,c0/c1 @ 4GHz with HT on
    CPU Heatsink : Thermalright Ultra-120 (very old)
    Motherboard : GIGABYTE EX58-UD5
    Ram : 4Gigs DDR3
    Video Card: HD5870 (bought this 6 months after my build)
    Sound Card : SB X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty (bought this 6 months after my build)
    Harddrives : 3.2TB Space (also added a 64gig SSD about a year ago)
    Keyboard : G15 (spilt water on it so dead now) using some very old keyboard now
    Mouse : Razer Diamondback
    PSU : Seasonic Modular PSU (very old still working)
    Headset : Sennheiser Pc150 Headset (The oldest part of my computer around 9 years old)
    Monitor : Dell ST2210 (bought this 12 months after my build)
    Lighting : amBX Lighting Effect

One thing that i would like to upgrade on my computer would be add another 2gigs of ram. And thats about all that i would change above. I do not play much games any more so no need to upgrade.

No picture of computer, its noting fancy to show.

Using non-native resolutions looks much better on a CRT than an LCD (since it doesn't really have a native res), so it isn't as much of an issue as gaming at 800x600 on an LCD which would be horrid :pac:

Scaling with a fixed aspect ratio isnt too bad in my experience ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

@BadCharlie, you'd be as well off getting 4GB, since DDR3 is so cheap these days. Maybe even just get 8GB (2x4GB) and sell off the 4GB that you have.

memoryc.com have free delivery and their prices are fairly good. The prices of RAM anyway.

@Brian: If money was no issue, would you prefer to use a 120Hz LCD?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Monotype wrote: »
    @BadCharlie, you'd be as well off getting 4GB, since DDR3 is so cheap these days. Maybe even just get 8GB (2x4GB) and sell off the 4GB that you have.

memoryc.com have free delivery and their prices are fairly good. The prices of RAM anyway.

Its an i7-920 so it should be using triple channel. So 6GB is about right :)

• Advertisement

Monotype wrote: »
    @Brian: If money was no issue, would you prefer to use a 120Hz LCD?

Don't know, the only 120 Hz LCD I've used had some tearing issues and I didn't get much playtime on it. It would certainly free up some space on my desk

Found an old CRT in our store room yesterday. Seems we didnt throw them all out. Now, where to put it.....

xmOGPl.jpg

Got a new desk.

That tenkeyless looks TINY :p

I must have been one of the unluckiest people around in regards to watercooling but I have finally done. Im so so happy.

Z2OJPl.jpg

7BIbsl.jpg

Fans are the Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (case fans) and the Air Series SP120 Quiet Edition Rad fans

awesome fans tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

Headshot wrote: »
    I must have been one of the unluckiest people around in regards to watercooling but I have finally done. Im so so happy.

Fans are the Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (case fans) and the Air Series SP120 Quiet Edition Rad fans

awesome fans tbh

Now you just need to add the GPU's into the loop! :D

Next mission: Get Shadow under water. :P

Serephucus wrote: »
    Next mission: Get Shadow under water. :P

Now that's mission impossible!!

anyone notice what is missing ;)

• Advertisement