Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[MERGED] Your Main PC - Pictures, specs and discussion <IMAGE HEAVY>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Fgot a samsung 950 pro m.2 SSD

Not a 960? Pfft, filthy casual. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

its a grand machine for watching youtube and netflix while I game work.

I think you need more stimulating games work. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Recently I've been looking to upgrade the looks of my pc after getting an Asus Deluxe II as with the Led in the case the copper look on the Xspc blocks really stood out in a bad way.
    I've replaced all Xspc blocks with EK blocks and upgraded to a Gtx 980 ti in the process to take advantage of my X34 Predator.

Gaming Rig with Xspc blocks and 290x
    2pc_zpsnswqumod.jpg

EK Blocks
    6pc_zps1couzprx.jpg

Upgrading the PC, loop ready to be filled
    8pc_zpswmdcgu9p.jpg

Finished look just bleeding the system and checking for leaks.
    10pc_zpsjyszlusb.jpg

9pc_zpsh7u2edtn.jpg

My Gaming Area
    3pc_zpsc6bmht8e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

deceit wrote: »
    ...[/IMG][/URL]

Quality as always Deceit, think we have very similar colour preferences!

Aka Ishur wrote: »
    Quality as always Deceit, think we have very similar colour preferences!
    Yea, I was a big fan of your desk rig, very tidy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Got a new monitor, ASUS PG348Q. I'm delighted with it, the backlight bleed is acceptable, only played a bit of Deus ex & Dying light, but so far its the dogs cogs for gaming. Much easier to drive than thew old setup-few pics of it beside the old set up of 3 x 27" 120hz Samsungs:

e5dnPQO.jpg

rS2ATmg.jpg

I think the base is a nonsense and the lights are tacky af, but plan on moving soon so will be getting a new man cave and will build a new desk and go with a decent arrm instead. Planning on a 4K 40" Korean to go with it...probably need to get rid of a few of the old ones first :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Though I would put this up here rather than on the networking and Server forum, I am more of a home user really. My gaming PC is on here already.

I had need of offsite backup for my work so I decided to build a NAS. I also am a bit of a file horder and have a lot of personal files. Redundancy was a major issue and I needed 24/7 always on systems as data loss of work files would be terrible.

A bit of internet research and Linus techtips videos and I decided on getting a refurbished server and building an unRAID server for NAS. All I can say is I am amazed what you can get on adverts.ie. Adverts can be a total pain in the hole, but everyone I ever met on it was sound and all the items are working, and solid.

I got a Dell r610 server for 500 euro. 5 years old. Dual X5550 Quad core Xeon, 96gb ECC error correcting ram, remote access module (iDrac), dual power supplies, SAS controller (takes SATA also), some random low capacity SAS drives which I ditched and put in a SSD. Windows Server 2016 Key for 30 bucks on Reddit Software Swap. This is some piece of kit for the money. Designed to be always on, always working. It was my first proper server and I think I am hooked. Draws 200 watts from the wall. Loud but its in an Attic so it doesn't matter.

Server rack - 100 euro adverts.ie.

Server rails - 35 euro adverts.ie

UPS 700 watts - 100 euro Adverts.ie

Monitor, Keyboards and Mouse - Adverts 40 euro.

Got a old Iomega NAS with 4x2tb Hitachi NAS drives - Adverts.ie 250 euro...stripped the drives and put the NAS back for sale. It works just fine.

Copy of unRAID 100 euro. - its a funny one this, you can get freeNAS for nothing. Its faster, but we are dealing with gigabit network here so absolute speed is not essential. unRaid does not strip the information across all disks it used one disk at a time and one parity disk. A Cache disk speeds things up and the parity information is written when the info is moved off the parity disk. So unraid has parity redundancy but also keep mechanical wear and tear on the drives to a minimum. freeNAS spins all drives and parity data is written simultaneously. Its faster but the mechanical wear and tear is greater increasing the change of a drive failure. Its swings and roundabouts. From a power draw, unRAID works best.

Stand alone NAS units like Synology are all well and good. Problem is having has a lot of them it that in 5 years time when a PSU blows you cannot get a new one cause its so old. If you can you get gouged by retailers. I has a work NAS box blow a PSU. Took 2 weeks get a replacement, took 9 days download the online backups ( I have a lot of data). A standard parts NAS has a lot of advantages, upgrading is easier and parts are available in PCWorld.

For the NAS I got new hardware as I wanted very specific things and low power draw.

Got a cheapo rack case.
    AsRock C2750D4I Mini-ITX MoBo - integrated 8 core atom processor on server grade board with ipmi remote access .
    16gb ECC Ram.
    4 X 4 tb HGST drives.
    1 X 500gb SSD
    Had a nice corsair modular PSU and some other WD red drives.

Whole thing went together in a couple of hours, and depressingly everything worked out of the box. Usually I look forward to a few hours of troubleshooting and tinkering, but I all just worked.

So have Plex media server running on the Dell, Roon Music server on the Dell, My backups and cloud synchronization on the Dell. Everything stored on the NAS.

Sorry to ramble, but to all the PC heads here you have to try this stuff out. For 1500 euro I have a Dual processor Xeon Server and 26gb NAS, UPS and rack. All legit software.

Main Machine is a SLI 1080, X99, 6800K machine. I have a old 2009 Imac on VPN Duty.

20170108_180519.jpg
    20170107_190230.jpg
    20170108_180533.jpg
    20170109_213742.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

I know overkill is something I absolutely cannot say I shy away from, but isn't a 96GB RAM Dual Xeon media server akin to using your SLI 1080, X99, 6800K machine to play Tetris?? I mean its a lovely project, interesting and a great build. However people shouldn't think this a great way to go to get a very reliable backup solution/media setup.

I have a couple of questions.
    ((editted - misread))
    Why trust a second hand UPS?

Don't get me wrong, as I said I love the overkill, but people should know that they can get a similar result from a much simpler setup.

However people shouldn't think this a great way to go to get a very reliable backup solution/media setup.
    Oh absoutly. they can get a great NAS here for 100 euro
    http://www.adverts.ie/hard-drives/lenovo-iomega-emc-px4-300r-network-storage-array/12066257
    I suppose, if you want the redundancy and stability you have to pay. A simple freenas machine on a 8 year old desktop machine is sufficient for most people. However I store some information that I need to realtime encrypt all my data. The Server runs a roon server, a plex server, a backup server for several machines, a SQL server for a database and a cloud sync service. Even at that its total overkill, memory usage is at about 6gb and I have not seen the CPU usage above 50% even when transcoding plex streams.....but it was so cheap why not, once you get past the awkward form factor and the immediate complexity of this type of gear the price:performance is astonishing. The Dell would have been a 8k machine when new.

The NAS was expensive, but a similar capacity Synology or QNAP would cost twice as much with far less upgradability, fixability and functionality.
    Why trust a second hand UPS?

Good question and the answer is I dont. We have good quality power in Ireland where I am and if my power goes down I am unlikely to loose data. Also my internet and router is away from the rack so the network would be out leading to the entire system being useless. Really I got one so I can move the unit around without shutting it down. This server stuff take forever to boot and any avoidance of a reboot is welcome. I might look into a new UPS in time, but they are really pricey sods for really little benefit. They make a good surge protector too and it looks cool in the rack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Windows Server 2016 Key for 30 bucks on Reddit Software Swap.
    For 1500 euro I have a Dual processor Xeon Server and 26gb NAS, UPS and rack. All legit software.

Really? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Really? :rolleyes:

https://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/comments/5mth4m/straight_fire_deals_hwindows_10_pro_home_windows/

The Keys are legit there, never had any issues., they are bulk MSDN keys or OEM Keys. Its about as shady as buying a Student edition if your not a student.To be honest a windows 7 or 10 install would be as suitable for me.

or here

http://www.adverts.ie/servers/windows-server-2016-standard-or-datacenter/11546059

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

https://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/comments/5mth4m/straight_fire_deals_hwindows_10_pro_home_windows/

The Keys are legit there, never had any issues., they are bulk MSDN keys or OEM Keys. Its about as shady as buying a Student edition if your not a student.

or here

http://www.adverts.ie/servers/windows-server-2016-standard-or-datacenter/11546059

Yes the keys are proper M$FT keys, but their sale in this way is not legit and is in breach of M$FT's Terms of Service. I was just being pedantic is all ... :p

The Keys are legit there, never had any issues., they are bulk MSDN keys or OEM Keys. Its about as shady as buying a Student edition if your not a student.To be honest a windows 7 or 10 install would be as suitable for me.

or here

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ie/useterms

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/licensing/default.aspx

Not legit.
    You are literally paying pirates, as your software is NOT LICENSED for such use.

They might 100% work but Microsoft can revoke your key at any time, with no recourse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It depends on the type of key but some versions are more prone to being blocked than others. A while back I had an atrocious block rate for Windows 8 'N' (almost 1 in 3 blocked within a few months). But I agree, with Win10 at the point it is, either continue using the unactivated version indefinitely (which is what I do) or else get the legit version. Paying for the bulk keys is somewhat pointless for Win10 although older versions of Win are a titanic pain and you'd have to burn through a pile of keys before you'd have been better off with an actual legit Win7.

If Microsoft do revoke the key that is their right. The server came with a copy of server 2012 which would be acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The point is (and its broken record mode on this sub, we need a sticky TLDR post) you're paying to be legal but are still illegal. Its the same as using a key generator and a crack. Its unlicensed use. If you're going to pay you may as well be on the right side of the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Bought a windows 10 key off of g2play a year ago for 20 and was able to use the same key in my new build as well, so far so good for 20 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 4 xirishboox

Hello peoples,

Unfortunately while ordering parts for my new build, I made a boo boo and didn't check the motherboard specifications and ordered a AMD FX9590. Which the motherboard doesn't support.
    I was wondering, if by chance anyone would be interesting in swapping this (unused) for a FX 8370 or 8370E?
    It's brand new and has only been from the box to the motherboard and then back to the packaging again.

Thank you all in advance.
    =)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You might get lucky but practically nobody on here buys AMD as it almost never makes sense.

xirishboox wrote: »
    Hello peoples,

Unfortunately while ordering parts for my new build, I made a boo boo and didn't check the motherboard specifications and ordered a AMD FX9590. Which the motherboard doesn't support.
    I was wondering, if by chance anyone would be interesting in swapping this (unused) for a FX 8370 or 8370E?
    It's brand new and has only been from the box to the motherboard and then back to the packaging again.

Thank you all in advance.
    =)
    Can you not just return it?

• Advertisement

Peripheral update time :)

VRbROOY.jpg

6l8YRcj.jpg

Using the mouse for the last 2 days, still getting used to the feel of it, but first impressions are it feels excellent, also I can’t tell the difference in wired or wireless mode. Its slightly heavier than the Deathadder, but it feels much more substantial; no flex or creaky plastics on this beast. :cool:

glynf wrote: »
    Peripheral update time :)
    Using the mouse for the last 2 days, still getting used to the feel of it, but first impressions are it feels excellent, also I can’t tell the difference in wired or wireless mode. Its slightly heavier than the Deathadder, but it feels much more substantial; no flex or creaky plastics on this beast. :cool:

I've just ordered mine now based on this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Maybe time for a new pc :D

deceit wrote: »
    I've just ordered mine now based on this :)

Leftie approved then :D It feet a bit bigger than the Deathadder at first, though I think thats more to the slight grip change due to the fact its ambidextrous. The wheel feels much more substantial-and it takes a lot more force to actuate same, the wheel tilt buttons are surprisingly useful for CAD & excel etc.

glynf wrote: »
    Leftie approved then :D It feet a bit bigger than the Deathadder at first, though I think thats more to the slight grip change due to the fact its ambidextrous. The wheel feels much more substantial-and it takes a lot more force to actuate same, the wheel tilt buttons are surprisingly useful for CAD & excel etc.
    The Deathadders only downfall for me is its a bit too small and my fingers drag on the matt so hopefully if its a bit bigger this should be resolved for me :).
    I should have ordered it ages ago :)

have a g900 it is a brilliant mouse irregardless of the wire. For my hand its perfect in size. not too many buttons and nice weight. Expensive but quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

JamboMac wrote: »
    The fact my browser and AV says its a dodgy site I would recommend to stay clear of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

Boardsies have used them before. But im not seeing any option to pay with paypal.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057562695

• Advertisement

My new Ryzen setup to compare against my X99 rig
    Ryzen Rig:
    1800x
    8gb 3200Mhz ram (Will replace with 64GB once can confirm the 8gb works at 3200mhz or above with the cpu overclocked)
    Asus X370 Crosshair VI Hero
    EK waterblock
    I've 2 4Tb drives for this build also and a psu
    I just need an m.2 drive, GPU and a case to get it up and running.
    17819918_10155223300041204_1514880406_o_zpsq87eimw6.jpeg

Advertisement