Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next Season - Winter League 2008/09

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Ah come on Ed, would've been nice to do SS and the Stroncock over :D Ravenhill, Full Irish and Coffin Dodgers are all sides we'd want to be beating if we're serious about winning this. glenwood were handy. Had a very good left winger with lots of pace. Think they had 10 men when we beat them 3-0 as well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Money has been transferred in lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

well whats the update? im sure des has his squad picked, so its just a matter of lads paying up to show they are commited. final squad will be about 20/21 i would think.

I do know that there still is 5 or 6 lads that have not paid, so its time to pay up,tho we have 3/4 who have only joined for the past 2-3 games like Mike, Ciaran, Clayton, Karl etc, so its understandable that these lads aint paid yet.

well here we are. Des/Mikie feel free to put it where ever ye want to or maybe its ok in this thread.!7934320180a9094179121o.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

a lot of new faces there since last season! Want to give names to the faces Ed?
    thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

pvt.joker wrote: »
    a lot of new faces there since last season! Want to give names to the faces Ed?
    thanks

Someone photoshop me in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Redders825

Hey Lads,

Glad to see ye won last week, unbeaten in a long time now. Anyway the reason im posting is because im going to have to withdraw from the squad. I didnt play last week due to a knee injury i picked up in the last pre-season game, had physio during the week and she said it could be a week or so but i played a FAI Junior Cup game this morning and aggrevated it further, so basically my manager has said to quit the astro in Dublin, we are pushing for the league and cannot afford injuries so to keep to the gym.

By the looks of it ye have a massive squad and ye definitely have the squad to win the league. I enjoyed playing and its a pity i cant but i have to prioritise.

Best of luck for the year. Ill be keeping an eye out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Sorry to hear you've to pull out Conor.

Quality, quality player. Good luck in your League.

Maybe we'll need to call on you for dig out sometime if we're short numbers....highly unlikely though with our mammoth squad:D

Redders825 wrote: »
    Hey Lads,

Glad to see ye won last week, unbeaten in a long time now. Anyway the reason im posting is because im going to have to withdraw from the squad. I didnt play last week due to a knee injury i picked up in the last pre-season game, had physio during the week and she said it could be a week or so but i played a FAI Junior Cup game this morning and aggrevated it further, so basically my manager has said to quit the astro in Dublin, we are pushing for the league and cannot afford injuries so to keep to the gym.

By the looks of it ye have a massive squad and ye definitely have the squad to win the league. I enjoyed playing and its a pity i cant but i have to prioritise.

Best of luck for the year. Ill be keeping an eye out!

of course he is going to tell you to give up! managers will always tell people what to do!!! most of the team plays with other teams at the weekend and im sure most of the big clubs in dublin have players playing astro during the week.

big loss,yourself and mark were a very solid partnership and gave us a good option. with Ian pulling out too and derek unavailable for the past few weeks, it defo means we are bringing players into the middle from other positions like we had to do last week with Eddie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

I'm gonna have to drop out lads. Was trying to ignore the effects the 10 minute run-out on Tuesday had on me but it's Sunday now and the pressure in the shins is only settling down now. When the girlfriend pointed out it sounds like it always was before the surgery I realised that yeh I'd just forgotten what I used always live with cos I haven't had it since the first op in June.

And it meant I couldn't do any of the other cardio work this week because of it so it's not worth it. The doc's advice is to focus on non-impact cardio for at least the next 4to 6 weeks and then start gradually building up to some impact running. So the jury's out till then if the surgery actually worked or not, though I'm not banking on it, but at least going about it the right way gives it every chance. Then throw the problems with the groin the MRI scan showed up and it's clear keeping on trying to grind through it is not gonna help so I've gotta stop. Gutted.

So all the best with it lads, I've really enjoyed it and I know I'll miss playing and will just want to get back in and play too early like I've done before, but I hope to be back just don't know when and hopefully will be in condition to offer my best when I do get back.

Till then I hope there's some trophies either in the bag or on the way by then and I'll keep an eye out of course and drop into watch if I'm passing on my way home from work. All the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Tough decision but fair play to you for making the hard choice. All the best in your recovery

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

I'm gonna have to drop out lads. Was trying to ignore the effects the 10 minute run-out on Tuesday had on me but it's Sunday now and the pressure in the shins is only settling down now. When the girlfriend pointed out it sounds like it always was before the surgery I realised that yeh I'd just forgotten what I used always live with cos I haven't had it since the first op in June.

And it meant I couldn't do any of the other cardio work this week because of it so it's not worth it. The doc's advice is to focus on non-impact cardio for at least the next 4to 6 weeks and then start gradually building up to some impact running. So the jury's out till then if the surgery actually worked or not, though I'm not banking on it, but at least going about it the right way gives it every chance. Then throw the problems with the groin the MRI scan showed up and it's clear keeping on trying to grind through it is not gonna help so I've gotta stop. Gutted.

So all the best with it lads, I've really enjoyed it and I know I'll miss playing and will just want to get back in and play too early like I've done before, but I hope to be back just don't know when and hopefully will be in condition to offer my best when I do get back.

Till then I hope there's some trophies either in the bag or on the way by then and I'll keep an eye out of course and drop into watch if I'm passing on my way home from work. All the best.

I am Gutted for you Jules, but at the end of the day you need to get yourself sorted. I am sure you'll be back better than ever.

That's tough Jules but hopefully with a break you might be able to get over it. Good lucj with the recovery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

:eek:

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Hey Jules, really sorry to hear that. You're a top a quality player and someone who's very knowledgable on the game. A real asset to any side.

Hopefully you might be down at one of the games when I'm home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

Best of luck with it Jules. Get yourself sorted first and then you'll be back as good as ever

genuinely jules, feel gutted for you. i know like a lot of us, you love playing for boards and its disappointing. i missed about 8 games last year with injury and it killed me.

you going to come watch a few games? give it time and im sure ul be back wearing the blue jersey sometime soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Cheers lads, appreciate it. Yeh it's pretty gutting and I know I'll miss it for sure, but will be giving it my all to get it sorted, so if it's possible to sort it out I'll get it sorted sooner or later.

I'll drop in to watch matches whenever I can and look forward to seeing Boardeaux taking it to the next level.

And now in a monthy python-esque 'heres something completely different'...im being relocated in work to Kilkenny. Now im not joking when i say that my first thought upon being told that id have to have moved within two weeks was...'ah balls, im not gonna be able to make the games'

Unfortunately what with the 1 and a half hour trip (one way) its just not gonna work out. I will say that this came completely outta the blue and im pretty shocked and gutted that ill have to leave the team. Ill be up on monday and ill try and come along to support at any games that i can, but for the time being thats all i can do.

Sorry :(

That's **** Peter! You gonna commute to work from Celbridge? Long enough drive both ways. Might be better moving down there for a bit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

LOTP wrote: »
    And now in a monthy python-esque 'heres something completely different'...im being relocated in work to Kilkenny. Now im not joking when i say that my first thought upon being told that id have to have moved within two weeks was...'ah balls, im not gonna be able to make the games'

Unfortunately what with the 1 and a half hour trip (one way) its just not gonna work out. I will say that this came completely outta the blue and im pretty shocked and gutted that ill have to leave the team. Ill be up on monday and ill try and come along to support at any games that i can, but for the time being thats all i can do.

Sorry to hear that Peter. Best of Luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

And people thought it was a bad idea to have a big squad?

Don't doubt me again lads.

:rolleyes:

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    That's **** Peter! You gonna commute to work from Celbridge? Long enough drive both ways. Might be better moving down there for a bit

Id say ill go down there for a while. Ill be up on monday anyway (hopefully) to see ye off :)

LOTP wrote: »

sorry to hear this peter. only seen this now, hence why i asked for you to offer a lift to daryll:o

Des wrote: »
    And people thought it was a bad idea to have a big squad?

Don't doubt me again lads.

:rolleyes:

Des, the issue is not quantity, its quality. we have lost about quality players from the start of the season now, all for totally different reasons and unavoidable. all of these players are a loss to the squad and the team suffers as a result. we could go out and replace them with 5 players, but i dont see the point, we wont gain from it.

my point being tho, is a large squad does not mean we are always going to be strong. look at the other teams in our league, can anybody here say that they all have the same 12 or 13 players week in week out? cos bar I China, every team we always plays has no more than 2, max 3 subs. IMO, sometimes a big squad hinders us, but that is only my opinion.

Advertisement