Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next Season - Winter League 2008/09

Options
  • 12-07-2008 12:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

Ok lads.

There are 4 games left in this season, finishing up on the 5th August. Not counting our fabulous cup run.

This means the new season will probably be kicking off sometime in September, meaning we'll have to have registered and paid up at least two weeks before that.

After all the bolllox of collecting money before this season, I'm saying this now.

I want all monies paid on 22nd August at the VERY LATEST.

I had too much trouble collecting money the last time, so I won't be chasing anyone this time. I mean that.

The cost will be the usual €120 to cover League Fees, Referees, Kit Washing and Footballs.

I'll be sending ONE TEXT MESSAGE with the bank details, if you pay, you play, if you don't, well hard luck, you don't get a place in the squad.

So, to re-iterate.

Pay me €120 by August 22nd, or you are not in the squad.

Bank Details :

Account : 46761278
    Sort Code : 90-04-71
    Account Name : Boardeaux
    Branch : Coolock

I'll be going for Social Standard, on a Tuesday evening.

As soon as the options go up, I'll post them here, and we can have a chat.

I'll also be saying all of this this at the next game.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

One last thing.

Astro.ie made some pitches available in the close season last time, and we played one friendly.

I think we should take advantage of that again, and maybe look to play a game or two in the weeks before this new season.

As I recall it was €100 for the pitch per hour, plus some referee fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

can we have another chat about squad size and get everybodies opinion?

Squad size will be what I decide, and I've decided on 20+

It was argued before this season that it should be smaller, and look what would have happened.

I need a big squad in case of injuries, day trips etc etc.

Non-negotiable at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Transferred money already Des. Wont have any money in August so might as well take the hit now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Defo need to get friendlies going and more than one or 2, or at least have a good few training sessions to let lads show what they can do.

I suggest we say that if you don't pay by 22nd August you are definitely not in the squad, but paying by then does not mean you are definitely in the squad - if there are more players looking to play than Des wants in the squad he'll have to make some decisions that may involve handing back cash. Hopefully it won't come to that, but I think we should be making it clear you have to fight for your place in the squad instead of walking into it just by handing over some cash.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I will be available for the winter season if you need the numbers, but would still miss one, possibly two games in four. Shift work is still a problem for me, as i work every 2nd Tuesday (alternate between nights and days too) but would definatly make two in four matches though.

Sav, are you gonna be a boards player next season now that your team train Tuesdays?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Sav, are you gonna be a boards player next season now that your team train Tuesdays?
    Sorry just seen this now bud, right now it's highly unlikely I'll be able to sign up for Tuesday night games unless something changes between now and 22nd August. Either way I don't think I'll be in a position to make a call on it until the eleventh hour, if numbers are already too high by then, well perhaps the decision will be made for me ;)

That's pretty crap dude. Al looked pretty promising as well which is disappointing. Well hopefully something will change and we can squeeze you in somewhere.

'tis but sure what can one do? It's still early days yet tbh, we'll cross this bridge when we come to it ;)

• Advertisement

Has a decision been made on this yet?

Savman wrote: »
    Has a decision been made on this yet?

Sav, Astro haven't even released their options yet, as soon as they do, I'll post them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

hi boys,girls,wimmins,childrens and associated friends!

due to certain circumstances i will not be able to partake in a full season with my current club (grass fuzzball) and as such am looking for matches during the week!

havent discussed it with the bossman (manager) yet and for all i know he could tell me to fuk off for the season!

anyway im fairly sure i'll have time for a bit of astro, and im wondering

A. when do ya's generally play?

and

B. are ya's loking for players?

We're looking for players yes and we play Tuesday evenings on the south side.

What position and standard do you play at? Very welcome to come along to any of our upcoming friendlies, training sessions,etc.

cheers leixlipred!

i live in stillorgan so that'll be handy for me!

last season i played centre-mid, up front, left back and centre half!

i playa LSL prem 1 sat! not on overly high level or anythin!

sure maybe you could let me know the next time ya's have trainin/match and i'll drop by!

Just keep an eye out here for anything that's happening. Think there's a 5 a side next Tuesday

weve a friendly tues, but i'll keep an eye out for another day!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Just keep an eye out here for anything that's happening. Think there's a 5 a side next Tuesday

Has the pitch actually been booked yet though ?

I've no idea. My wrist is broken so I won't be playing eitherway

Not sure were to put this, but as this thread is looking at next season it seems like the best fit.

We're all aware that our squad needs to improve if we are to push on next season - that comes in 2 ways: getting in some new players, and improving the players that we have.

Training sessions and friendlies will help attract and evaluate new players and also improve the players we have and there's threads here (thanks Ed) to enlist new recruits for next season.

So that leaves the other piece of it - how to improve our existing players. For sure, the more football we play with and against each other will improve our overall unit and individuals. We can still push to get separate training sessions going during the season, but despite best efforts that just might not happen.

As it happens, fitness is one of our biggest challenges (familiarity being another) - many teams this season were fitter than us and about half of us could do with being in better shape. The good news is our inability to find a time and place where enough lads will show up to make a training session worthwhile doesn't mean that lads shouldn't be taking it into their own hands and working on their fitness.

Many are already doing their own fitness work, but we should be encouraging it more and making it clear it's expected of every player to put some work in on his own time. If we get a fitness thread going here lads might be more inclined to meet up in twos and threes and get a bit of work done.

Likewise, I saw this site and thought it would be a good idea to do a bleep test before the season starts and then every player could give himself a target (or Des could do the dishing out) that he should aim to be at midway during the season when we do it again, and again at the end of the season. It literally just needs a field (or hall), an MP3 player and some speakers.

For me, next week is my last week before surgery so it'll be October before I'm back running, but I'd love to do one then and target improvements for a mid-season retest with the team - would help motivation for sure. Cycling has been my main form of rehab since the first op and if anyone wants to use that to get a bit fitter, head over to the Cycling forum cos they give great advice there and arrange weekly cycles that'll test ya.

• Advertisement

Hi all.

Astro have announced the coming season arrangements.

Social Standard, which we WILL be entering.

There are 2 Thursday Options.

A Friday Option.

A Monday/Tuesday option - looks like most games will be the Tuesday though, because the Monday has only one hour slot. The Tuesday has 3.

So we'll go for that, unless there are any objections?

I'll leave this here for ONE DAY ONLY, then I'll apply tomorrow.

SPACES ARE LIMITED AND FILL UP QUICKLY

THIS MEANS YOU NEED TO PAY BECAUSE ASTRO EXPECT PAYMENT IN 2 WEEKS FROM THE APPLICATION DATE.

League Fees
    € 1400 +13.5% VAT ( Total: € 1589 )
    Referee Fees
    € 300

Total : €1889

This has gone up since last season, but the €120 should cover it.

Lads.

Why the hell have only three people paid?

Jules, Martin and Michael.

If I don't see more money in the account by Friday, I'm throwing in the towel and giving monies back to everyone, this is bullshít, I asked over a month ago for people to start paying into the account.

I'm not taking the crap I took before last season again. Full Stop.

THE BANK DETAILS ARE IN THE FIRST POST ON THIS THREAD

Get the money in lads. If you want to play, you have to pay.

I'm not taking cash or a cheque.

Get online banking set up and move into the 21st Century like the rest of us.

Jesus lads - only 3 people paid up? That's very poor form and don't be giving any excuses: if you have a problem paying the cash you've had a month to notify Des - he's been more than accommodating in the past for anyone that need to make specific arrangements.

Really puts a question mark over the committment levels to be honest.

ok, we will sort this tonight :):) , if anybody is stuck for money, fair enough.

me, art and dan will pay up next day or 2 and im sure we will get 4 or 5 more 2 today/tomorrow.

on a side note, Jules, can you check availibility for pitches on Tuesday and wednesday of next week, i have a group of lads to play us. 4 of them have played for us before and the rest are all decent players. would be a decent game for us.

maybe, if possible, we book for and hour and half and we do 30 minutes of solid training before hand?? or maybe just ask if its free, but book it for 8-9 but we turn up 30 mins early....

dont book anything yet anyway as not sure which night to play yet.

and before people complain, if you cant do 30 minutes running and then play a game, your fitness aint work a f*ck!!!!!

I'll ask Astro about availability for next week if they phone me back to arrange payment for today, though I'm out from next Tuesay for 6 weeks as I'm checking in for the next surgery on Tuesday, so someone else will need to arrange the payment.

Des posted on 12th July giving clear instructions on the payment and made it clear the deadline is 22nd August, so get the finger out lads. If a couple of people want to give me cash tonight I'll transfer the money to the account on their behalf. I won't be doing what I've done in the past again though and transferring money across before people have paid it - we either get enough people to pay or we don't pay and we should have enough in fairness.

On the night selection front though, one day notice mightn't be enough as the lads who are online mightn't read this and others don't read here. I know the Mon/Tues mix caused Gav a lot of hassle for one before with working nights and trying to plan for it, but I'm not against it. Thursday is the only realistic option that won't have any risk of bouts of Champions League flu, but people also have lots of social events on Thursdays so it mightn't suit. Mon/Tues gets my vote, but we need to get a text out to everyone on this. I'm in meetings all day but could try get to do that later if noone else gets a chance.

I'll ask Astro about availability for next week if they phone me back to arrange payment for today, though I'm out from next Tuesay for 6 weeks as I'm checking in for the next surgery on Tuesday, so someone else will need to arrange the payment.

try go with the Tuesday night next week..

my online texts are almost used for the month as i was away for a few weeks. i aint got a problem with either nite to be honest, but would rather the mon/tues option.

I've texted all our players that haven't paid yet saying €120 needs to be transferred to Des by Friday so either transfer today or bring cash tonight or there'll be no league spot: history tells us they get snapped up pretty fast so if we don't have the funds they'll be gone. Up to the lads to stump up now.

Got a text back from Sav saying him and Al won't be playing for us this season due to committments with their other team. They'll do their best to make it if things change with the other team.

Means the number of good players we now need to add is up to about 5.

theres unreal interest in playing now. i have just got 2 more pms and 2 earlier, added to the 6 that came down.

thats unreal to be honest and bodes well for the new season. it will be tough to pick this squad i tell ya.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

On the back of tonight, I'll try organise this as fast as I can, but there's absolutely no chance of it being sorted by Friday..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Des did you pick the monday/tuesday slot?

Advertisement