Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next Season - Winter League 2008/09

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Don't think that's the point really. I haven't seen you play obviously but even if you're Ronaldo and can't make half the games what would be the point? Anyway, pointless discussion for the moment.

Oh, by the way, was looking at the dates and reckon I'll be fit for first game of season assuming I get the all clear from doctor about the arm in a few weeks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Don't think that's the point really. I haven't seen you play obviously but even if you're Ronaldo and can't make half the games what would be the point? Anyway, pointless discussion for the moment.

It was my attempt at humour as denoted by the :D at the end, true tis a pointless discussion til the fixtures are out

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    It was my attempt at humour as denoted by the :D at the end, true tis a pointless discussion til the fixtures are out

Dont forget the handbags tonight lads :p

If i set up that bleep test thing in the city centre some evening (with Don Des' blessing of course), how many would be interested in taking part?

• Advertisement

Have been sick so I'm a bit out of shape. Maybe in a few weeks I'd be up for it. What's it gonna tell us though other than we're not fit enough :D

I think Jules suggested it earlier on. Its useful more as a personal benchmark for training. Ive always found them good for motivating myself to do fitness work and for judging what i can do in terms of endurance. Its really up to the team as a whole...either we buy into monitoring our fitness and doing our own individual fitness work, or we dont....but everyone seems to be calling for people to take steps to improve their fitness.

On another note, im doing a triathlon tomorrow. If i drown i wont make the game next week.

Yeh, I think it's a good idea anyway. Plus with the broken arm it'll give me a chance to be involved. I definitely can't do it next week though.

You know if you were committed to the team you would cut your arm off.

Condescending hat on.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

bleep tests sounds good, im defo in and i think most of the squad should be, good test of fitness and a good way to measure progress.
    have done it 3 times before myself.

we could then do it say in 4 weeks time when the season starts and see improvement. we should all aim for 30% improvement anyway, if not more.

whats needed? cost? location etc?

maybe we discuss this next week with aim to having it the following week?

i have it on a cd somewhere only to find it. realistically, all you need is a small aread thats 20 metres long. a 5 a side/indoor pitch would do the trick and then we could have a kick about afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Good to see the new lads are prepared to voice up with their thoughts - as has been pointed out several times, we need more of that. Just cos me, Martin, and Ed are loud doesn't mean we're right, but if you have a different view on things let it be known on here or before the match - arguing it or holding resentment during a match does noone any favours.

Congrats on the new role Michael, having another person involved on the management team can only be a good thing for the team and glad to see it go to one of the old-timers :D

Hope to get out of hospital (free wifi - this place rocks) tomorrow and start the recovery. No staples this time so that should help the wounds heal quicker, but I've made up my mind not to come back too soon this time so that I'm fit enough to do myself justice when I get back. Have to say though, from the difference between the legs after last week's match its clear the surgery works so I'm looking forward to playing without that pain for the first time in living memory.

Yeh the bleep tests would be a great move - lads will be far more motivated when they have a clear target to work off. We know the first benchmark results will be mostly poor, but the worse you are now the more opportunity you have to improve for the next one. We used be fierce competitive about it at Parkvale - it defo got lads putting in extra sessions on their own time.

There's clearly momentum at the moment with more friendlies in the off-season and new players joining than we've had before so there's a real opportunity this season though I'm sure the management team could do with another couple of hopefuls to cast their eye over. Onwards and upwards so.

Yeh I like the idea of recording your score and trying to improve on it before season starts. Excellent idea. Good to hear you had the second surgery Jules. Hopefully the recovery will go quickly and you won't miss too much of the season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Des wrote: »
    Eleven paid.

That doesn't cover the costs lads, so I haven't applied yet.

Seven places left in the league we want.

Get the bleedin' money in lads, can you?

ffs.

Paid online just now.

Hope to get out of hospital (free wifi - this place rocks) tomorrow and start the recovery.

best of luck with this, hope it all goes well.

looking forward to hearing par dolan saying " jules ahead of scheule and
    back in training" reports on setanta sports news over the coming days :D

whats needed? cost? location etc?

maybe we discuss this next week with aim to having it the following week?

i have it on a cd somewhere only to find it. realistically, all you need is a small aread thats 20 metres long. a 5 a side/indoor pitch would do the trick and then we could have a kick about afterwards.

Indeed, this can all be done on relatively short notice once the team agrees to take part. Talk to ya next week so.

Gav is giving me cash and I've transferred the money into the account on his behalf.

what is the update on numbers paid up Des?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Sixteen players paid up.

This is the most recent list of people who have stated an interest in playing this coming season.

Daryl - Paid
    Ed - Paid
    Dan - Paid
    Michael - Paid
    Simon - Paid

Lepo -
    Larry - Paid
    Art - Paid
    Eddie - Paid

Derek - Paid
    Keith -
    Dave (PHB) -
    Peter - Paid
    Gav - Paid

Mark -
    Iain - Paid
    Martin - Paid
    Jules – Paid

Dave -
    Robbie -
    Keith (Draupnir)-
    Ben -
    Kenny -
    Cathal - Paid
    Geoff -

plus

CREDIT TRANSFE 694368

Now, who is this?

Can those who haven't paid yet please PM me and let me know if there is a money problem, we can come to some arrangement.

An arrangement does not mean a Pay as you Play though, you need to show some commitment to be a part of the squad.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭thelepo

I paid on the friday it was due, lodged it into the account with cash.

Any updates Ed/Des on final squad list for the season? Has everyone paid,etc.I'm excited about our prospects for this year, should be challenging for the title hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I still havent paid. Been **** broke this month. Will be paid next week though, so will transfer the money as soon as i get it. Hope thats ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭WeAreShels

I shall pay whenever I receive my scholarship money from PwC. Starting my Masters Monday week so I would imagine that'll be the latest I'll have it.

i think theres quite a few that have not paid.... but some have already talked about being short which is fair enough.

final squad will be about 22 i think, its not definate yet, sure there is 3 weeks to decide it, theres one or 2 not sure yet with work etc...

heres the set up for the league anyway according to their website...i was talking to the astro boss last week and he confirmed our entry into this. Des was sorting the money towards end of the week.

Rathfarnham 3 Rock Rovers

All games played on:
    Mon 19:30-20:30

Blackrock NewPark

All games played on:
    Tue 21:00-22:00

Templeogue St. Judes

All games played on:
    Tue 22:00-23:00

Rathfarnham St.Columbas

All games played on:
    Tue 21:30-22:30

Dundrum Wesley College

All games played on:
    Tue 19:30-20:30

so looking at this, the majority of our games will be played after 9 on tuesday with say maybe 3 games at 7.30 on Tuesday and maybe 4 Monday games. hopefully this will suit everybody anyway, tho a good few players are naturally going to miss 2-3 games, maybe more.

Des, how is the money update, who has paid?

Seems like pretty random timetabling to be honest but I guess you take what you're given in these leagues.

We’ve been in a position before where we’ve had a really large squad at the start of a season but it’s always filtered down with drop-outs and regular no-shows. Likewise any attempts at getting a training/team workout/kicakbout session going have suffered due to poor turnout.

I don’t think that will happen to the same extent this time round. The reason for it is simple – higher standard players are generally more committed because when they’re not getting a game they’re not doubting their ability like a weaker player might which leads to no-shows. A stronger player is more likely to think ‘I’m gonna fight for my place and show these lads what they’re missing out on’ which means he’ll show up more often. Likewise, while we need to balance optimism with caution, it’s fair to say this squad should at the very least be very competitive in most games this season – players tend to show up more often for a winning team.

On the one hand it gives the management team a selection headache I’m sure they’ll relish, but on the other hand it means we need to ask the question again – would we have enough numbers to get a weekly session going either on a Wed/Thursday evening or a Sat/Sunday? We could work out later what format it might be, but suggest it’s discussed at next week’s match as I think there’ll be more commitment from this group.

the sats and sundays are defo out Jules, we have tried time and time again and never got the numbers. people are doing other things at weekends, least alone the fact that alot of our team now, play grass soccer too or other sports at the weekends as well as work.

thursday nights would be one night, maybe if we did 5 a sides? tallagh astropark has spots on thursdays anyway....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Our fixture list is up on astro.ie...I presume they are all provisional dates?

4 games on Mon 19.30 at Three Rock.
    2 games on Tue 19.30 at Wesley
    6 games on Tue 21.00 at New Park
    3 games on Tue 21.30 at Columbas
    3 games on Tue 22.00 at St. Judes

If there are no changes I should only be a doubt for 2 games (Tuesdays 7.30) due to work, so I'm delighted with that:)

TUE OCT 7 22:00 JUDE Boardeaux v I-China

TUE OCT 14 22:00 JUDE Glenwood Rovers v Boardeaux

MON OCT 20 19:30 3RRB Ravenhill v Boardeaux

TUE OCT 28 21:00 NEW Bar Real v Boardeaux

TUE NOV 4 21:00 NEW Oak Tree Press v Boardeaux

TUE NOV 11 19:30 WES Boardeaux v The full irish

TUE NOV 18 21:00 NEW Boardeaux v Coffin Dodgers

TUE NOV 25 21:30 CLMBS Boardeaux v Perrem Design Hardware

MON DEC 1 19:30 3RRB Boardeaux v Coca Cola

MON DEC 8 19:30 3RRB Boardeaux v I-China

TUE DEC 16 22:00 JUDE Glenwood Rovers v Boardeaux

TUE JAN 6 21:00 NEW Oak Tree Press v Boardeaux

TUE JAN 13 19:30 WES Boardeaux v The full irish

TUE JAN 20 21:00 NEW Boardeaux v Coffin Dodgers

TUE JAN 27 21:30 CLMBS Boardeaux v Perrem Design Hardware

MON FEB 2 19:30 3RRB Boardeaux v Coca Cola

TUE FEB 10 21:30 CLMBS Ravenhill v Boardeaux

TUE FEB 17 21:00 NEW Bar Real v Boardeaux

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Hmm.

Thanks Eddie. I'm having problems getting onto the website at the minute.

Games at 10 ffs. Hate them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

There's only one game I cant make as I'll be in the states.
    MON OCT 20 19:30 3RRB Ravenhill v Boardeaux

• Advertisement

good stuff Eddie, id say these are final....

we have played 4 of these teams before -

Full Irish - draw and then they beat us last season didnt they? i cant remember i missed those 2 games.

Glenwood - these lads were handy, played them 3 seasons ago. they were in with a chance of winning the league and we beat them 3-0 on the last night. they lost the league on goal difference i think. they may have changed since then, but doubt it much as they had a lot of older lads, some good players who played at a decent level before. wont be bad.

ravinhill - played them 4 times now, 2 seperate seasons. we won the first 3 and drew 1-1 last game. have 2 or 3 very good players that tick them over.

coffin dodgers - were in our league this time last year and beat us 1-0, in a shockingly bad performance from us( was the game that ended our title challenge and we lost another 4 after that after going unbeaten for 7 weeks)
    we beat them 4-0 last game of the season. another bunch of oldies, so could be capable of winning a few games against the top teams.

i know nothing about the other teams, but surely somebody does...coca cola, i wonder is that a company team or just a name. if they are a company team, they could be very good...

thank f*ck, no SS rovers either this year!!

Advertisement