Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most embarrassing county to say your from?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Roscommon, have driven through it twice and was overwhelmed by the smell of boiled cabbage. If I was from there I would most probably lie about it, the shame.....!:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Stephen90

Love the Navan accent.

I reckon Leitrim. Was up there last summer. Not a car, person, sign of life around on the 'main' street of Drumshanbo at 2.pm of a Saturday afternoon. Well apart of course from the local oul' fella who stared us and our van full of music gear out of it as if we were from another planet. Then again... maybe we were!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Stephen90 wrote: »
    Love the Navan accent.

I reckon Leitrim. Was up there last summer. Not a car, person, sign of life around on the 'main' street of Drumshanbo at 2.pm of a Saturday afternoon. Well apart of course from the local oul' fella who stared us and our van full of music gear out of it as if we were from another planet. Then again... maybe we were!

drive up main street ballinamore at about 11pm on sunday night 17th August to see the other side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Cork.

Without a doubt, it's the worst place in Ireland.

I'm from there and I regard it as an embarrassment.

The accent, people (not all of them but a significant majority), mindset, arrogance, intelligence (or lack of same to be more accurate) and average personality that can be found in the place truly makes Cork the hellhole of Ireland.

And to paraphrase Dylan Moran, Cork stupid people sound stupider than other stupid people.
    I think it's great that it's on the coast, has some stunning scenery, the city is vibrant and yet close to all of the above. The "People's Republic" stuff is only to be taken seriously if you choose to do so - to me it's tongue in cheek. Nobody who is even slightly interesting and has a semblance of a brain would actually carry on with that crap and mean it.
    And I personally like having a mild Cork accent.
    Your generalisations about Cork people are ridiculous (unless you're being tongue in cheek but I don't think you are). As for "hellhole of Ireland", give me Cork before Longford, Roscommon, Leitrim, Offaly any day...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

cork people all defensive i see :P

don't worry kerry is close, dublin is but a train journey away and "the real heartland of ireland" that smells like cabbage and contains no people only sheep ie. roscommon, leitrim, offaly et al doesn't actually exist :D then again those places don't dream of being something they ain't... wink wink nudge nudge

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

ive made my sentiments about Dublin well known here before.

Ive lived in counties.. Cavan(all over) ,Donegal(letterkenny) ,Louth(dundalk) ,Westmeath(athlone),Cork(Kilworth) ,Dublin(donabate/skerries/drumcondra) and leitrim(ballinamore), have also had connections (girlfriends/friends etc- spending lots of time) in ,Roscommon(boyle),Sligo(town) and Clare(ennis).

Yep Dublin....... no contest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

On a serious note, is Fingal a real county?!

Pfft. They wish. :P

BTW I notice a lot of people defending their home county and nothing being said, yet when Cork people do it we're too defensive. :confused:
    mumhaabu wrote:
    Plus you'd swear they had a footballing legacy when they beat a tired Kerry team in monsoon like conditions. lol! Wait till September and Cork will will be taught a harsh lesson.
    How exactly did monsoon conditions benefit us? You'd swear Kerry never had a drop of rain!!
    And when it comes to GAA we're one of the few counties with top quality sides in BOTH hurling and football. So :p to you!!! :D
    You can stuff that sh*te about the finest Merlots etc. btw.
    I am not ashamed and embarrassed because of my thoughts on this matter. I had no control over where I was born and I'm not going to play into this "People's Republic of Cork" bullsh*t.
    And you can stuff all that ****e right here.
    I don't know a single Cork person who takes "Peoples Republic of Cork" anyway seriously. It's all tongue in cheek.
    You're too easily wound up. :)
    I think the place is a hole and until I see evidence that indicates otherwise I am going to continue to think just that.
    Gougane Barra?
    Bantry Bay?
    Doneraile Park?
    Blarney Castle?
    The main streets of Cork City?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Parrish_Crooks

Gougane Barra?
    Bantry Bay?
    Doneraile Park?
    Blarney Castle?
    The main streets of Cork City?

+1. Barleycove? Courtmacsherry? Rocky Bay? Kinsale?
    Sh1tholes, I think not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭burgess1

Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

BTW I notice a lot of people defending their home county and nothing being said, yet when Cork people do it we're too defensive. :confused:

Well if you'd just get with the program and admit it's a rubbish place to be from then everything would be fine.
    Come on, join us.

We have cookies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,354 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Cork

The mammy agrees :P

But only because of the accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

It is a shame that people are throwing their county down ... I lurve the county where i'm from - KERRY - I've no need to be embarrassed thankfully :p

Where kerrygold is made
    Where a dolphin is a mans' best friend
    Where an inch is a mile
    Home of SAM MAGUIRE

you'll travel a fair distance before finding anything to match The Kingdom :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

all the dirty nordie countys that think there irish......d only gud thing to come out of nordie land is harp

Isn't Harp from Dundalk? Although, yes it is quite nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

emo!! wrote: »
    whats worng with Waterford eh??!!

It's a s**t factory town where anyone with a brain leaves as soon as they finish school.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭garrincha62

Meath is pretty embarrassing. I'd hate that.

However, worst place to be from has to be Dundalk, or Craptown as it is affectionately known.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Well Mullingar is widely recognised as the most shameful town, so it's probably Westmeath.
    fitz0 wrote: »
    Id have to say Roscommon. What has actually come out of Roscommon?
    Douglas Hyde was from Frenchpark.

Castlerea has a pub with a train in it!

Strokestown has Ireland's widest street!

Roscommon is also statistically Ireland's most inbred county, so I heard from a friend who knew for definite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Húrin wrote: »

Strokestown has Ireland's widest street!

proof or gtfo

Is it wider than O'Connell St,Dublin? I doubt it

Link to Strokestown Main Street here.
    It doesn't look that wide to me

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Monivea in Co Galway has the widest street, that happened because the neighbours fell out .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

monaghan , everyone is crooked and things like smuggling are seen as a viable profession and not really a crime

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Oh i dunno Donegal

No way, Donegal is possibly the most beautiful county in Ireland. It's like a whole other world. I love it!

I'd say Cavan or Laois.

Then again, I grew up in Kilkenny.. :rolleyes::p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

I thought that was Mayo? I don't know anybody who's actually met anybody from Mayo

Of course not, I have hardly met anybody whos been to Cork. We mostly steer clear of the south.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Cork/Leitrim

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Cork - because they can't speak english

Advertisement