Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most embarrassing county to say your from?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Being born in Ireland is also chance.

Would you say you are proud to be Irish?

No. It's just random chance, it's not like i had to work hard to earn the right to be irish. If i'd done that (no idea how you work hard to be irish, but never mind that) then i could have pride in being or having achieved something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

cork

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

what about wicklow? Nothing there. Its like Dublins front garden, noone stops there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I adore the cork accent! Nothing sexier!

Dublin is the most embarassing county, only because every other county thinks you think you're better (if you know what I mean)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Parrish_Crooks

No. It's just random chance, it's not like i had to work hard to earn the right to be irish. If i'd done that (no idea how you work hard to be irish, but never mind that) then i could have pride in being or having achieved something.

Fair enough. I think most people would say they are though. It's something that was drilled into me!

• Advertisement

dead air wrote: »
    I'm proud to be from Fingal. No one accepts it as a real county though, and that's pretty embarrassing.

On a serious note, is Fingal a real county?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

Doubly so if random chance landed you in cork.

You wouldn't understand taffy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

hussey wrote: »
    I live in Sydney and you have some awful muppets that wear
    "Co Bondi, Irelands 33rd County" T-Shirts
    so muppets from all counties merge into a single county .... no better advertisment for genocide

:P

If County Bondi was a county, I would have to agree. All of these guys going around in their County jerseys, hanging around in their little enclaves. Weird. There is a beach there that was better than average, but it kind of reminded me of a crap version of Kilkee.

Looking at real counties - Dublin. One Dublin accent reminds me of Snotser from The Den. 'Jaysus'. The Dubs have been known as West Brits for a long time now, going back to the time when tens of thousands of them lined the streets to greet the English Queen waving little Union Jack flags. Hence, 'Jackeens'. It just doesn't get more embarrassing than that.

I lived in Dublin for years and had good craic there. I don't hate Dubs, they are okay and all that, but on the subject of embarrassing counties to be from, look no further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Captain Ginger

Not a county, but telling people in Dublin you live in Bray is horrible, they kinda go "oh... that's eh nice" then walk away.

We're too soft compared to tallagh and we're considered too rough to be a part of south county Dublin despite the fact we're like a 5 minute walk from Shankhill :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

Looking at real counties - Dublin. One Dublin accent reminds me of Snotser from The Den. 'Jaysus'. The Dubs have been known as West Brits for a long time now, going back to the time when tens of thousands of them lined the streets to greet the English Queen waving little Union Jack flags. Hence, 'Jackeens'. It just doesn't get more embarrassing than that.

:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Dublin is the most embarassing county, only because every other county thinks you think you're better (if you know what I mean)

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

You wouldn't understand taffy

Ohh yeah, need to update my location, not in cardiff anymore... It might just stop people thinking i'm welsh.

Though at least the welsh accent is comprehensible, unlike some parts of ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭karen3212

I'd have to say Cavan or Navan, both words just sound funny to me.

Have to say, I love the Cork accent:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

karen3212 wrote: »
    I'd have to say Cavan or Navan

If Navan becomes a county its game over i'm afraid!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Trix

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    Wicklow

It wishes it was Dublin. :D

No it doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

I'd have to say Kurk, (Cork) that accent is terrible, they fail to recognise the Republic, those Roy Keane and Michael Collins T-Shirts (two heroes). Ok collins was but Roy Keane was just a tramp.

Plus you'd swear they had a footballing legacy when they beat a tired Kerry team in monsoon like conditions. lol! Wait till September and Cork will will be taught a harsh lesson.

I'd also be embarresed to be from Clare, oh man what a dump, they people drive Toyotas exclusivly and Tractors, (don't even attempt to but a newspaper or access the internet, you be better off in Kandahar or Helmand Province.

mumhaabu wrote: »
    Plus you'd swear they had a footballing legacy when they beat a tired Kerry team in monsoon like conditions. lol! Wait till September and Cork will will be taught a harsh lesson.

It wouldn't exactly be the football side of the GAA that Cork are most proud of! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭life_is_music

It wouldn't exactly be the football side of the GAA that Cork are most proud of! :)

yeah but at least we're good at both sports:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

Mr.S wrote: »
    anywhere outside Dublin;)

you get my vote

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭JangoFett

Laois

Yeah, we have things OTHER than prisons!!

• Advertisement

Leitrim...No real need to say more. Though it might not be embarassing so much as depressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Leitrim...No real need to say more. Though it might not be embarassing so much as depressing.

Go on, tell me more for the craic......

• Registered Users Posts: 15,354 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Korvanica wrote: »
    what about wicklow? Nothing there. Its like Dublins front garden, noone stops there.

Oii!
    Wicklow is where the Dubliners secretly would prefer to live!
    No skangers, just lovely mountains and coastline :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Sherifu wrote: »
    Mayo is a hole.

I pity the fools.

You're a hole......an a**hole!

Monaghan gets my vote, the only good thing up there is rally school!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Has to be Offaly...freekin sh1t hole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Cherryvega

Longford wins hands down.

Although other contenders would be Meath, Cork, Monaghan and Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭LeoGilly

Has to be Leitrim.

Never been and probably never will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

LeoGilly wrote: »
    Has to be Leitrim.

Never been and probably never will.

I pity you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Roscommon.

Have a friend from there and the slagging she gets from everyone is desperate..poor thing!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

Garbage.

'The accent'... Who do you think you are... ?
    If you're from there you'll still have it but judging by your post you seem to have moved to greener pastures.

I suppose the finest Merlots are only good enough for you now, and you wouldn't be seen dead shopping in the English market among the riff raff.

You should be ashamed & embarrassed of yourself for that post...

Exiles...:rolleyes:

I apologise if I've hit a nerve but I genuinely do believe everything I've written.
    Yes, I still have the accent and I dislike hearing it in my voice as much as I dislike hearing it anywhere else. I'm not going to apologise for not enjoying a particular accent (even if it is my own).
    You can stuff that sh*te about the finest Merlots etc. btw.
    I am not ashamed and embarrassed because of my thoughts on this matter. I had no control over where I was born and I'm not going to play into this "People's Republic of Cork" bullsh*t. I think the place is a hole and until I see evidence that indicates otherwise I am going to continue to think just that.
    Your accent defines part of who you are, I'm sorry you are ashamed of your identity!
    I'm not ashamed of my identity. I don't define myself as being from Cork and don't need to validate my existance in that way. I'll find something else that can describe my identity better (I haven't the remotest idea what the hell that could be but I'll never find it if all I strive for is the ability to say that I come from the county in Ireland with the largest area).

Advertisement