Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being Short Vs Being Tall

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Try being 7 ft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Disco Stu

Gyalist wrote: »
    It's strange how many people on this thread claim that they are very tall and yet I see very few tall Irish people around.
    I presume that it's the done thing to exaggerate your height on the internet.

Suppose I'm lucky I'm not Irish.... Another of those giant johnny foreigner blow ins :cool:

Irish do seem to be a bit shorter in general than he good people of my native Scotland... must be the great diet of battered mars bars and chips that makes us so tall...!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Disco Stu wrote: »
    Suppose I'm lucky I'm not Irish.... Another of those giant johnny foreigner blow ins :cool:

So am I.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Irish do seem to be a bit shorter in general than he good people of my native Scotland... must be the great diet of battered mars bars and chips that makes us so tall...!

I am 6'3. I'm not short...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭turf

im short. fuk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Haha being 6ft5 I have a thing for the smaller ladies also... not so much amusingly awkward as potential for huge amounts of entertainment ;)

The old stepladder joke is one I've heard frequently.. :P Otherwise, couldn't agree more!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

6'2" is not tall for a lad. I'm almost that tall in my 3" spikes.

Cheater.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

6'2 barefoot is tall for guy, only 3% or thereabouts of the male population would be 6'2 or over, the average height in the nba is 6'5 i believe and some of them are the tallest people on earth

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Average height in Britain is 5'9", seems a fair assumption that we'd have about the same average, as such I guess I must in fact be rather short (3 inches shy of the average). Oh well. *shrugs*

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/relationships/the-secrets-of-attraction-what-makes-a-person-desirable-1267254.html?service=Print
    Can a boy be too tall?

Women are always looking for someone tall, dark and handsome, right? No one specifies "short, mousy and ugly" in a personal ad.

But how much does a man's height really matter? It was the psychologist Alfred Adler who coined the phrase "Napoleon complex" to describe shorter-than-average men who overcompensated for lack of height by being overaggressive and wanting to rule the world. It has been proven that taller men have more children than their averagely tall counterparts, and that taller men receive more replies to personal ads. But don't worry, Mr Five Foot Nine (the average height of the UK male): many studies show that men of average height are more attractive and likeable than very tall men like Stephen Merchant, and some research suggests that above-average height can indicate poor health.

• Advertisement

The old stepladder joke is one I've heard frequently.. :P Otherwise, couldn't agree more!

I was thinking the other way around... ;) but hey the stepladder is also good...!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭horseydevine

i'm hitting 6 foot 4".. Any drunk in a pub or club looking for a fight turns to us ha (Helps im 17 stone of gym material ha)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Dord wrote: »
    The guys version of the shop is called Topman, tbh the clothes are pretty mingin' :D

I have the same problem, very hard to find longer trousers. It seems most shops just cater for short fat midgets. :(

Try New Look - they have a section for tall women (supposing you are a women - can't tell from the nic ;-)).

Or try Long Tall Sally (I think they have a shop in Dublin - but definitely in Edinburgh - combine it with a long weekend ;-)!) - they cater for tall people.

And what annoys me is that the makers of long trousers here seem to think that when you're tall, you're also fat - very, very irritating...It's really difficult to get a pair of jeans with a 36" leg and a 29" waist...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Tupins

I'm 5'10" in bare feet (female) and feel quite tall. I used to hate towering over people when I was a teenager and always felt really awkward, expecially as most of my girl friends were average height or below. The fact that people would say "you're really tall" used to piss me off too. As if I didn't know - however if I replied "you're really fat" or some other comment on their physical appearance, they would for some reason take offence!!!!

On more than one occassion I've turned down guys that asked me out because I was taller than them - not that I've anything against smaller men but I'd feel uncomfortable myself standing next to them.

Plus people forget that girls wear some sort of heel on their shoes most of the time, especially for going to work or going out at night. So on an average day I would add 1.5" - 3" to my height. At least nowadays it's fashionable to wear flat shoes (thanks Kate Moss!) but it used to drive me mad before when (short) men would moan at me about wearing heels - I was hardly going to go out in my runners! (It can still be hard to find shoes with a modest heel by the way)

I really love when I meet a girl taller than me - I love standing next to them and feeling normal!!

My husband is 6' but would secretly love him to be taller. When I was single it would drive me mad when I'd see a small girl going out with a really tall guy - I'd think "you can go out with any man you want - leave the rare tall ones for the tall girls".

Any other tall girls feel like this?

Tupins wrote: »
    "you can go out with any man you want - leave the rare tall ones for the tall girls".

Any other tall girls feel like this?

Ahwww, you poor thing. Want a cookie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

galah wrote: »
    Try New Look - they have a section for tall women (supposing you are a women - can't tell from the nic ;-)).

Or try Long Tall Sally (I think they have a shop in Dublin - but definitely in Edinburgh - combine it with a long weekend ;-)!) - they cater for tall people.

And what annoys me is that the makers of long trousers here seem to think that when you're tall, you're also fat - very, very irritating...It's really difficult to get a pair of jeans with a 36" leg and a 29" waist...

/checks

Nope, I is a man. :pac:

Some tall women might see your post and find it useful anyways. :)

36" leg? What height are you! :eek:

Dord wrote: »
    /checks

Nope, I is a man. :pac:

Some tall women might see your post and find it useful anyways. :)

36" leg? What height are you! :eek:

As a lad... I know your pain, have 35.5" leg so 34" looks like i'm in oliver twist or something...!

Was in US recently and had problems there too... but prob get kicked from this thread for suggesting trying online (JCPenney) if you're looking for long leg trousers... seem to do Dockers/Levis up to 38 inch leg and deliver here...! If you're in the UK try going to a place called Slaters... menswear shop all over the UK that cater for all shapes and sizes... should sort you out..!

Have to say if I found myself a tall slim lady of 5ft 10 - 6ft 2 i'd be happy out!! Stop me getting a crick in the neck from all that bending over :p

galah wrote: »

29 inch waist for a man is a age 13-14.
    They aren't assuming your fat.....just an adult.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,995 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Have to say if I found myself a tall slim lady of 5ft 10 - 6ft 2 i'd be happy out!! Stop me getting a crick in the neck from all that bending over :p

Are you sure you've been going out with ladies?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Moonbaby wrote: »

:o
    Yeah... age 13-14... :o

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

6'4" and I love it. Although I would not like to be any taller as one of my best mates is over 6'7" and he has it pretty tought with things like clothes and shoes. He is very handy for finding at concerts and events though.

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I'm 6'2 and a lot of my mates are taller. Two of them are 6'5, two more are 6'3 and two or three more are 6' - 6'1. Tis funny on a night out. Little people get quite intimidated! Good for the ladies tho. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

I'm 6'4 and its ****ing brilliant. I wouldn't change it for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

I was thinking the other way around... ;) but hey the stepladder is also good...!!

Hilarious.. :p Clearly I haven't been getting the worst jokes so.. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

The germans have a specific word for that....

The germans have a specific word for that....

Share it then... I may be a cunning linguist but my German isn't that good...!

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭moco

I'm 5 ft 3 and feel quite tall!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Tall = teh sex0r.

No seriously, Vince Vaughn would be ideal in height/ build for me (before he got riddled with flabitis). My boyf is 5' 11 and that's a grand height.

Then again, I'm only 5' 1 so really everyone is taller than me.. :D

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Are you sure you've been going out with ladies?:eek:

/reaches over hoping it's not going to be a crying game moment..... phew ;)

Bad neck.... not bad back!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Moonbaby wrote: »

But I'm a girl!!!! (and 5'11" - so any trousers shorter than 36 inch look stupid...)

Advertisement