Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M&S Dine for 2 = €12.50

Options
1111213141517»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭boris george

Will this offer be on again before Christmas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Who knows! They usually just let people know the Tuesday before the Thurs-Tue offer. Sign up to their emails.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭xalot

have noticed that they've done it every other weekend for the last couple of months.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Someone there told me they do it every second weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Travel is good

Not necessarily every 2nd weekend. I usually check the website first.

Sometimes M&S try to trick you by having the offer every 3, or sometimes even every 4 weeks!

They will usually try to have the offer on over a bank holiday weekend, or a special occasion (say Mother's Day or Easter). I don't know why it doesn't work for Father's Day, maybe it does.

Anyway, though I am a fan of this offer, due to health reasons, I am trying to stay away...those desserts & wine....are calling to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

I see they now do two veggie options - hurrah! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,918 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Seen that. The goats cheese thingy sounds nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Seen that. The goats cheese thingy sounds nice.

I've had it before. It's alright. The cheese is quite strong and dry though, so I'd go for a salad or lovely fresh veg with it.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I got the gammon and potato rostis.

And millionaires shortbread!!!! Mmmmmmmm! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭Ardent

snubbleste wrote: »
    Love their honey-glazed gammon, pity it contains cancer-causing preservatives.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Ardent wrote: »
    Love their honey-glazed gammon, pity it contains cancer-causing preservatives.:(

What? unlikely they'd be able to sell food that contains ingredients give you cancer??? wtf?

vicwatson wrote: »
    What? unlikely they'd be able to sell food that contains ingredients give you cancer??? wtf?

Read the back of a pack of honey glazed gammon and you'll see it contains the carcinogenic sodium nitrite. Here's why it's bad:
    http://shamz.hubpages.com/hub/Processed-Meats-Declared-Too-Dangerous-for-Human-Consumption

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Read the back of a pack of honey glazed gammon and you'll see it contains the carcinogenic sodium nitrite. Here's why it's bad:
    http://shamz.hubpages.com/hub/Processed-Meats-Declared-Too-Dangerous-for-Human-Consumption

Then you'd better also exclude quite a lot of processed meat products from your shopping list.

As does hundreds of other products

Here's from the link you posted - "Unfortunately, sodium nitrite also results in the formation of cancer-causing nitrosamines in the human body. And this leads to a sharp increase in cancer risk for those who eat them."

There's a risk with every food IMO.

Interestingly in 2005 I queried the use of these chemicals in foodstuffs to the FSAI and here is the response I got -

"The view of the FSAI on the use of nitrates and nitrites as preservatives in food is that these are permitted food additives in certain foodstuffs (cured meats and meat products, cheeses, pickled herrings) under the legislation on food additives (Directive 95/2/EC). As such, their safety has been carefully assessed by expert scientific bodies including the EU Scientific Committee for Food, whose function has now been taken over by the European Food Safety Authority. If there were any doubts about the safety of an additive for all sectors of the population, including pregnant women and young children, then that substance would not be approved for use. While there have been reports in the scientific literature that diets high in nitrites and nitrates are associated with an increased risk of cancer including in the offspring of mothers exposed during pregnancy, this is a controversial issue and the overall consensus is that there is no proven epidemiological evidence for this. FSAI therefore supports the view of the EU Scientific Committee for Food and other expert bodies, that nitrates and nitrites are safe for use in food at the levels permitted by Directive 95/2/EC.

Products that contain added nitrates and nitrites should be labelled to indicate the presence of these additives, this is an essential element of food additive legislation, in order to inform the consumer, although it should be noted that this applies to information required on the labels of pre-packaged food rather than to products sold loose in butchers shops or supermarkets."

Enjoy the Gammon I say !!

vicwatson wrote: »
    As does hundreds of other products

Here's from the link you posted - "Unfortunately, sodium nitrite also results in the formation of cancer-causing nitrosamines in the human body. And this leads to a sharp increase in cancer risk for those who eat them."

There's a risk with every food IMO.

Interestingly in 2005 I queried the use of these chemicals in foodstuffs to the FSAI and here is the response I got -

"The view of the FSAI on the use of nitrates and nitrites as preservatives in food is that these are permitted food additives in certain foodstuffs (cured meats and meat products, cheeses, pickled herrings) under the legislation on food additives (Directive 95/2/EC). As such, their safety has been carefully assessed by expert scientific bodies including the EU Scientific Committee for Food, whose function has now been taken over by the European Food Safety Authority. If there were any doubts about the safety of an additive for all sectors of the population, including pregnant women and young children, then that substance would not be approved for use. While there have been reports in the scientific literature that diets high in nitrites and nitrates are associated with an increased risk of cancer including in the offspring of mothers exposed during pregnancy, this is a controversial issue and the overall consensus is that there is no proven epidemiological evidence for this. FSAI therefore supports the view of the EU Scientific Committee for Food and other expert bodies, that nitrates and nitrites are safe for use in food at the levels permitted by Directive 95/2/EC.

Products that contain added nitrates and nitrites should be labelled to indicate the presence of these additives, this is an essential element of food additive legislation, in order to inform the consumer, although it should be noted that this applies to information required on the labels of pre-packaged food rather than to products sold loose in butchers shops or supermarkets."

Enjoy the Gammon I say !!

That information from the FSAI may have been relevant in 2005 but it's not now. The World Cancer Research Fund came out earlier this year and officially warned against processed meats that contain preservatives such as sodium nitrite.

Here's the current state of affairs from the WCRF:
    http://www.wcrf-uk.org/cancer_prevention/recommendations/meat_and_cancer.php

• Advertisement

Then you'd better also exclude quite a lot of processed meat products from your shopping list.

I do.

That information from the FSAI may have been relevant in 2005 but it's not now. The World Cancer Research Fund came out earlier this year and officially warned against processed meats that contain preservatives such as sodium nitrite.

Here's the current state of affairs from the WCRF:
    http://www.wcrf-uk.org/cancer_prevention/recommendations/meat_and_cancer.php
    Experiment with poultry and fish. These have not been linked to an increase in cancer risk.

Not for the minute, that will be the next thing:rolleyes:

I'm sure the information is still quite relevant as it hasn't changed since then.

Anyways back on topic - thanks OP, I cant wait to get me teeth into the Gammon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

snubbleste wrote: »

I checked out the new gammon shanks - they are tiny! Got the (also new) pork belly instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

Yeah we got this today in Stephen's Green, such good value!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

€14 deal now. Decent value still IMO.

Advertisement