Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms and Convective Potential

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

New thread for up and coming potential for storms over the next couple of days.
    With a trough crossing the country from early morning to late afternoon, heavy showers will break out widely with the eastern half of the country getting the heaviest. Weak Storms are likely in this region.

Surface based Cape and LI remains moderate across the eastern half of the country. Conditions at the surface with energy and a trigger looks favourable.

Cape (energy) in midlevel regions are also favourable.

500mb RH% is around 85%, so moisture be evident in the atmosphere at high levels 5km.

Instability(lapse rates steepens) throughout the morning and peak mid afternoon continuing into the evening. East with highest values.

Convective precip for 15Z showing the total rainfall around that time.

Shearing wind speeds(both vertical and directional) keep a storms longevity ongoing. Basically it seperates the updraft and downdraft in a storm. For Wedensday there is little low level shear aswell as deep level shear suggesting that any storm that occurs will be weak in nature and will not last long as the downdraft falls back on the updraft. But the odd moderate storm cant be ruled out.

Dewpoints and surface temps are borderline but just on the right side for development.

Storm risk is a cautious 50%

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭paulhac

Thanks Snowbie for the update re wx for tomorrow. Have been looking at boards weather and other wx forums for sometime now including TWO, UKweatherworld ,Netweather etc. decided to start posting here. keep up the good work with your analysis. Cheers. Looking forward to tomorrow.
    Paul

Welcome to the forum Paul.:)

We had 2 long loud claps of thunder at about 430am this morning followed by a couple of micro bursts of heavy rain.

• Advertisement

Not much change to the above. Risk maybe a little more south this morning. Overnight a second chance of storms or heavy showers towards the south coast and into the SE may drift in off the Celtic sea.

Tomorrow looks very interesting with lots of energy moving into the SW from about 06Z and moving up through the country.

Looks like these intense showers are popping up out of nowhere.
    just had a 47mm+/hr short burst here.
    No thunder this time

Trough moving through the centre of the country atm and as i mentioned in the last thread, extra lift is now being provided by hilly areas.Showers have broken out ahead of the trough. A second line of showers has moved into the west also.

still quiet here in Dublin but sky darkening now (10.20). radar shows showers heading north out of Wicklow towards Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Damomanye

massive heavy burst of rain here in the last few mins.

• Advertisement

Cb's starting to push up through the cirrus on the sat pic also first bits of lightning detected.

http://www.sat24.com/frame.php?html=view&country=gb&sat=vis

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Pouring down here now.

I think the showers will be deflected away from dublin around the mountains so am not expecting much out of this set up . they are moving NE, always a bad sign for Dublin!!!
    Snowbie wrote: »
    Cb's starting to push up through the cirrus on the sat pic also first bits of lightning detected.

http://www.sat24.com/frame.php?html=view&country=gb&sat=vis

These situations are nowcasting. As expected the showers are taking a south to north motion. There is little convection around today and the trough is just peping up the showers merging them together now. As the peak CAPE is due mid to late aftenoon, there is still the chance of forcing over the mountains for a few downpours around Dublin due to southerly winds. Nothing special though just the odd rumble or two.

Radar and sat watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

That'll be the forcefield around Dublin again, everytime we get a sniff of a bit of a TS it's shields up! :/

Met.ie wrote:
    Further heavy showers and thunderstorms spreading up from the Southeast tonight. Clear spells with lowest temperatures between 9 and 12 degrees. Some mist or fog patches as winds become very light.
    Looking at the 06Z, the SE or south was more at risk only. 12Z be interesting.

Some beefy looking showers heading for the Dublin area on the radar building up over the mtns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭forkassed

Had a heavy shower about 15mins ago in ballybrack and another heavy lookin shower on the horizon

Some fierce looking clouds just passed to the north of hear. I wouldn't be suprised if they gave a rumble or two. Some CB's devoping in the midlands. http://www.sat24.com/frame.php?html=view&country=gb&sat=vis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

After a heavy shower there I just heard a rumble of thunder

• Advertisement

Another few rumbles there from a shower to the east of me

On what are the Met basing their forecast of heavy showers and thunderstorms moving up from the south east tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

About 4 loud claps of thunder to the south of Ashbourne.

Sun shining in the village after a heavy shower, but very dark clouds to the south.

I've been glued to Snowbies detector :Dhttp://www.irlweather.com/StormVue.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Power just went off for a few secs here. The norm though, seems long hair and one balloon can cause an outage.

Not much change to the above. Risk maybe a little more south this morning. Overnight a second chance of storms or heavy showers towards the south coast and into the SE may drift in off the Celtic sea.

Tomorrow looks very interesting with lots of energy moving into the SW from about 06Z and moving up through the country.
    On what are the Met basing their forecast of heavy showers and thunderstorms moving up from the south east tonight?
    This is it BB i dunno. Mentioned myself earlier of a threat to the S and SE from the 06Z but i don't see anything as yet to pose a risk to the rest of the country. Havin looked at 12Z yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,361 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Move this to a better thread if you want, but as I am somewhat new to Irish weather watching, can somebody tell me what the heaviest rainfall amount for one storm has been in the past? And also, has there ever been a significant tornado in Ireland, where and when? I have to imagine there have been smaller ones so let's say anything at F2 or higher such as they had in Birmingham in July 2005. And while you're at this, what is the highest temperature ever recorded in Ireland? I know it wasn't in 1978 (that was the one time I had the honour of attending the rain festival). :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭NewsWire

hey all, i got a report through email of serious flooding in Rathkeale in Co. Limerick due to a massive deluge there in the last few hours.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/fsfaxsem.html

Bracknell chart for 12z today shows trough line just off the south coast. this must be tonights showers. Just click on Bracknell on the FAXlist

• Advertisement

More thunder and dark clouds approaching here from the south

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement