Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Boards WWE Draft challenge - Roster submissions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

After about 5 seconds of deliberation, my second draft pick is:

leonwhite.jpg

I'm not going to bother listing title runs or pro wrestling illustrated lists which to me aren't really relevant.

Quite simply to me, he was the best "big man" wrestler I have ever seen and at one point he may have been the best wrestler in North America at his peak. I enjoyed watching him in the WWE but if that's all people have seen of him they are missing a large part of this guys story.

At his peak he had everything, the look, the athleticism and maybe most important of all the beleivability factor.

Here's a run down of some of his achievements from the Observer:
    Wrestling Observer Newsletter awards

* Best Heel (1993)
    * Best Wrestling Maneuver (1993) Moonsault
    * Wrestler of the Year (1993)
    * Wrestling Observer Newsletter Hall of Fame (Class of 1996)

Here's some great action from In Your House 13 Fatal Four way match featuring Vader, Taker, Austin and Bret Hart:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

Wow, Vince and the previous few picked quite a few legends, guess I'm gonna make my second pick a Legend Killer....

Randy Orton debuted just over 6 years ago (April, 2002) and in that time has become (along with Edge) one of the greatest Heels on WWE TV today.He is the son of Hall of Famer "Cowboy" Bob Orton and the grandson of Bob Orton Sr. He is also a former two time WWE Champion, World Heavyweight Champion (youngest ever), Intercontinental Champion and World Tag Team Champion (with Edge). Orton is a huge asset to any roster and that is why he is my number two pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Spongey1975

OK since my first 2 picks of the day went before me, Goldberg and Vader, i've decided on a big man for my roster, Big Daddy Cool, Diesel

Here i have a guy who can equally play face or heel and can tag with or feud with my number one pick, Shawn Michaels

Championships and accomplishments
    Pro Wrestling Illustrated
    PWI Most Improved Wrestler of the Year (1994)[9]
    PWI Match of the Year (1995)[10] - vs. Shawn Michaels at WrestleMania XI
    PWI Tag Team of the Year (1997)[11] with Scott Hall
    PWI ranked him #1 of the 500 best singles wrestlers of the year in the PWI 500 in 1995[12]
    PWI ranked him # 40 of the 100 best tag teams of the PWI Years with Scott Hall in 2003.[13]
    World Championship Wrestling
    WCW World Heavyweight Championship (5 times)[7][14]
    WCW World Tag Team Championship (9 times)[15] - with Scott Hall (6), Diamond Dallas Page (2), and Sting (1)
    WCW World War 3 (1998)
    World Wrestling Federation
    WWF Championship (1 time)[6][16]
    WWF Intercontinental Championship (1 time)[4][17]
    WWF Tag Team Championship (2 times)[5][18] - with Shawn Michaels
    Third Triple Crown Champion

• Registered Users Posts: 14,340 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

My Choice is arguably the Greatest high flyer of all time. The Biggest Little Man.
    REY MYSTERIO.

Mysterio revolutionised wrestling in ECW with his lucha libre style.
    He did the greatest move I ever saw at WCW World War 3.

* Wrestling Observer Newsletter awards
    o Rookie of the Year (1992)
    o Best Flying Wrestler (1995-1997, 2002-2004)
    o Most Outstanding Wrestler (1996)
    o Match of the Year (2002) with Edge vs. Chris Benoit and Kurt Angle, WWE No Mercy, October 20, 2002

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I am truly delighted to announce my second pick, and he is one of the great babyfaces ever. A man who was years ahead of his time, and truly innovated "high flying". Any roster could only benefit from

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=rEuprObnn_E

Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat

2002618243307307157_rs.jpg

* Maple Leaf Wrestling[4]
    o NWA United States Heavyweight Championship (Mid-Atlantic version) (1 time)1[6]

* Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling | World Championship Wrestling[4]
    o NWA Mid-Atlantic Heavyweight Championship (2 times)[12]
    o NWA Mid-Atlantic Tag Team Championship (3 times) - with Paul Jones (2), and Jay Youngblood (1)[13]
    o NWA Television Championship (2 times)[7]
    o NWA United States Heavyweight Championship (1 time)[6]
    o NWA United States Heavyweight Championship (Mid-Atlantic version) (1 time)[6]
    o NWA World Heavyweight Championship (1 time)²[5]
    o NWA World Tag Team Championship (Mid-Atlantic version) (6 times) - with Paul Jones (1) and Jay Youngblood (5)[9]
    o WCW United States Heavyweight Championship (1 time)[6]
    o WCW World Tag Team Championship (2 times) - with Dustin Rhodes (1) and Shane Douglas (1)[10]
    o WCW World Television Championship (2 times)[8]

* World Wrestling Federation[4]
    o WWF Intercontinental Championship (1 time)[3]

* Pro Wrestling Illustrated
    o PWI Rookie of the Year (1977)
    o PWI Tag Team of the Year (1978) with Paul Jones
    o PWI Match of the Year (1987) vs. Macho Man Randy Savage at WrestleMania III
    o Match of the Year (1989) vs. Ric Flair at Wrestle War 1989
    o PWI ranked him # 7 of the 500 best singles wrestlers of the year in the PWI 500 in 1991
    o PWI Editor's Award (1995)

o Tag Team of the Year (1983) with Jay Youngblood
    o Match of the Year (1987) vs. Randy Savage at WrestleMania III
    o Match of the Year (1989) vs. Ric Flair at Wrestle War
    o 5 Star Match: (February 20, 1989) vs. Ric Flair at Chi-Town Rumble
    o 5 Star Match: (April 2, 1989) vs. Ric Flair at Clash of the Champions
    o 5 Star Match: (May 7, 1989) vs. Ric Flair at Wrestle War
    o 5 Star Match: (May 17, 1992) with Sting, Nikita Koloff, Barry Windham, & Dustin Rhodes vs. Rick Rude, Steve Austin, Arn Anderson, Bobby Eaton & Larry Zbyszko at Wrestle War 1992
    o Wrestling Observer Newsletter Hall of Fame (Class of 1996).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Terry Funk

I've already got my top face so now it's time for my top heel. And what a heel

Terry Funk has had a career that's spanned five decades, three major countries and different styles. When he started out he wrestled a southern style and this evolved into the hardcore style that he innovated in the 90s. He was the first foreigner to be considered a face in Japan, yet he was also the cause of many riots as a heel, even getting stabbed in the neck by a fan one time

He had incredible feuds with Ric Flair and Jerry Lawler in the 80s where he was just as good on the mic as in the ring. The NWA made Funk their main colour commentator for two years on practically all their broadcasts due to his ability on the mic

Some of his accomplishments include:

A year and a half reign as the NWA Heavyweight champion
    Two ECW Heavyweight title reigns
    Three times winner of the All Japan World's Strongest Tag Team League with his brother Dory Jr
    One of the first NWA US champions
    WWF tag team champion with Mick Foley
    Voted as the best heel, the best brawler, the best on interviews and the best feud (with Flair) in 1989 by Wrestling Observer readers
    Also many other singles and tag titles along with being in many halls of fame

Here's a great video of when Funk turned heel after commentating on a Flair title defence:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

If I can be serious for a moment, I'd like to introduce the second member of my roster. LANCE STORM.

Achievements:

* Canadian Rocky Mountain Wrestling

* CRMW Commonwealth Mid-Heavyweight Championship[citation needed]
    * CRMW International/North American Championship[citation needed]
    * CRMW North American Tag Team Championship[citation needed]

* Catch Wrestling Association

* CWA Catch Junior Heavyweight Championship[6]

* Extreme Championship Wrestling

* ECW World Tag Team Championship (3 times) - with Chris Candido (1) and Justin Credible (2)[7]

* Smoky Mountain Wrestling

* SMW Beat the Champ Television Championship[8]

* Wrestle Association R

* WAR International Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championship - with Yuji Yasuraoka[9]
    * WAR World Six-Man Tag Team Championship - with Kouki Kitahara and Nobutaka Araya[10]

* West Coast Wrestling Association

* WCWA Tag Team Championship[citation needed]

* World Championship Wrestling

* WCW Cruiserweight Championship (1 time)[11]
    * WCW Hardcore Championship (1 time)[12]
    * WCW United States Heavyweight Championship (3 times)[13]

* World Wrestling Federation | World Wrestling Entertainment

* WWE Intercontinental Championship (1 time)[14]
    * World Tag Team Championship (4 times) - with Christian (1), William Regal (2), and Chief Morley (1)[15]

* Most Underrated Wrestler (2001)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

The Ultimate Warrior

warrior.jpg

Ok, so we all know how this was one of the most unstable and unprofessional wrestlers to have ever stepped into a WWF ring, but he was also the biggest thing in wrestling at the height of his fame. His match with Hogan was incredible. The story telling between the two had the crowd screaming their lungs out. The fact that the two of them sucked royally doesn't even enter the equation. He was overwhelmingly charasmatic in the ring, and had his own, eh, unique promo style that (bizzarely) went down well with the crowds. At the end of the day, its all about keeping the fans happy. It almost defies logic how over this fella was. Yet he probably has more of that indescribable "X" factor than anyone else in the history of wrestling.

He was also the guy who thought HHH how to squash people.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭jayhaitch2

Ok so being number 19 to pick in this round has been tough. I have seen 9 of my desired choices get picked while I sat helplessly by. But having to wait has it advantages.

I originally wanted a top face to go against my number one pick Kurt Angle. But the more I thought about the more I realised, people want to cheer for Kurt...so let them.

Now I need an antagonist. All the good ones seem to be gone. Then there was a rule clarification in the other thread and a door opened. Why settle for one antagonist, when I can have two. On their own I'm not sure if they would quite make the grade...but collectively...

Between them they have held 4 tag team titles,8 Intercontinental titles, 2 European titles, 1 King of the Ring, 2 Slammy awards and, in a possibly controversial move, 10 Heavyweight Championships outside of the WWE.

Ladies and Gentlemen I give you the tag team of.....

Owen Hart & Jeff Jarret

owen%20e%20JJ3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Danger_Dave

Its been Hard to watch so many of my choices be taken however one remained and The Animal Batista ! .

batista-interview-20050107023601879-000.jpg

Batista Although not the greatest wrestler he will build a crowd up for Huge Pops. His Entrance alone gets the crowd pumped. With Batista and Jericho i have to top tier stars one can be Heels or Face's.

Batista during his second World Heavyweight Championship reign
    Batista during his second World Heavyweight Championship reign

* Ohio Valley Wrestling
    o OVW Heavyweight Championship (1 time)[7]

o PWI ranked him # 1 of the 500 best singles wrestlers in the PWI 500 in 2005.[79]
    o PWI Most Improved Wrestler of the Year (2005)[80]
    o PWI Wrestler of the Year (2005)[81]

* World Wrestling Entertainment
    o WWE Tag Team Championship (1 time) - with Rey Mysterio[42][1]
    o World Heavyweight Championship (3 times)[82][83][84][1]
    o World Tag Team Championship (2 times) - with Ric Flair[17][20][1]
    o Royal Rumble (2005)[85][1]
    o Match of the Year (2007) vs. The Undertaker at WrestleMania 23 [86]

o Feud of the Year (2005) vs. Triple H
    o Feud of the Year (2007) vs. The Undertaker

P.S Now im out the door ! time to get really pissed. Brooklyn Brawler was a close one but i decided against it :pac: . Lets hope i get a good pick for round 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,340 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

My Third choice is somebody that I am very surprised is still available to choose.
    Can You Dig Him??

One of the greatest all round athletes ever. In ring was excellent. On the mic was excellent. His gimmick as King Booker was one of the best gimmicks WWE came up with in years

o PWI Most Improved Wrestler of the Year (1998)
    o PWI Most Inspirational Wrestler of the Year (2000)
    o PWI Tag Team of the Year (1995, 1996) - with Stevie Ray
    o PWI ranked him #62 of the Top 100 Tag Teams of the PWI Years with Stevie Ray in 2003
    o PWI ranked him #5 of the 500 best singles wrestlers of the year in the PWI 500 in 2000

o WCW Championship (1 time)
    o WCW Tag Team Championship (1 time) - with Test
    o WWE Intercontinental Championship (1 time)
    o WWE United States Championship (3 times)
    o WWF Hardcore Championship (2 times)
    o WWF/E World Tag Team Championship (3 times) - with Test, Goldust , and Rob Van Dam
    o World Heavyweight Championship (1 time)
    o King of the Ring (2006)
    o Triple Crown Championship (Sixteenth)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Spongey1975

Really wanted to pick Christian & Lance Storm as a tag team here but Lance went earlier so i'm gonna go for a different tag team, The New Age Outlaws, Billy Gunn & Road Dogg. Both have great mic skills and tons of attitude which fits in with the type of roster i'm looking for. Both are also accomplished singles wrestlers.

Championships and accomplishments - Road Dogg
    Atlantic Coast Championship Wrestling
    ACCW Heavyweight Championship (1 time)
    Catch Wrestling Association
    CWA World Tag Team Championship (1 time) – with Cannonball Grizzly
    Continental Wrestling Federation
    Continental Heavyweight Championship (1 time)
    Millennium Wrestling Federation
    MWF World Tag Team Championship (1 time, current) – with Beau Douglas
    NWA Wrestle Birmingham
    NWA Alabama Heavyweight Championship (2 times)
    Total Nonstop Action Wrestling
    NWA World Tag Team Championship (2 times) – with Konnan and Ron Killings
    United States Wrestling Association
    USWA Heavyweight Championship (1 time)
    USWA Television Championship (2 times) (First)
    USWA World Tag Team Championship (2 times) – with Tracy Smothers
    World Wrestling All-Stars
    WWA World Heavyweight Championship (1 time) (First)
    World Wrestling Federation
    WWF Hardcore Championship (1 time)
    WWF Intercontinental Championship (1 time)
    WWF Tag Team Championship (5 times) – with Billy Gunn

Championships and accomplishments - Billy Gunn
    International Wrestling Federation
    IWF Tag Team Championship (2 times)[39] – with Brett Colt
    Maryland Championship Wrestling
    MCW Tag Team Championship (1 time)[40] – with B.G. James
    Pro Wrestling Illustrated
    PWI ranked him # '43 of the best 500 singles wrestlers of the year in the PWI 500 in 2002[41]
    World Wrestling Federation | World Wrestling Entertainment
    WWF Hardcore Championship (2 times)[11]
    WWF Intercontinental Championship (1 time)[18]
    WWF/E World Tag Team Championship (10 times)[2] – with Bart Gunn (3), The Road Dogg (5), and Chuck (2)
    King of the Ring (1999)[13]
    World Pro Wrestling
    WPW Heavyweight Championship (1 time)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

My third pick is a man of many hats, wrestler, colour commentator and manager. He is the perfect addition to any locker room. He built up Ric Flair's WWE debut with some of the most awesome promos in wrestling history and is the kind of mouthpiece you want to help build major stars. If you haven't figured it out yet, you're a disgrace to wrestling fans around the world.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you Bobby "The Brain" Heenan!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

This is purely tactical. Former WWE tag team Champions Matt Hardy & MVP

matthardy.jpg & mvp.JPG

Not the greatest tag team of all time, but indivually it is hard to argue with the merits of either. Its like a free pick :)

I will put a youtube etc tomorrow. Too tired now.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HAd9c2ebAHc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

The Big Show

big_show.jpg

Named by Ric Flair as the best big man in the business, my 5th pick is the World's Largest Athlete, Mr. Paul Wight.

Obviously, the guy is very impressive physically. When booked right, he can come across as unstoppable. Upon his return, he looked like he could legitmately kill anyone on the roster. He was put in a four-on-four tag match with the top names in the company and dominated them all. He is also versitile as a competitior. He is a former Hardcore and ECW champ, so he is no stranger to match-types involving weapons. He is also a former tag champ. He also has another rather underutilised side, which is his wit. The last time he was on the Highlight Reel, the man out-funnied Chris Jericho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

My third pick is none other than the PEEPle's Champ and Captain Charisma, Christian!!

Admittedly WWE dropped the ball with him and he only really began to excel when he moved to TNA and started the Christian Coalition with Tomko and AJ Styles.
    WWE Career
    World Wrestling Federation/Entertainment (1998-2005)

The Brood
    When Reso came to WWF and WWE, he shortened his ring name to Christian. He made his televised debut at the September 27, 1998 pay-per-view entitled In Your House: Breakdown, distracting Edge during his match against Owen Hart to reveal his allegiance to Gangrel. He had some early singles success, capturing the WWF Light Heavyweight Championship[8] in his debut match. However, his real success came while wrestling in the tag circuit. Christian, given the character of a vampire, formed a stable with Gangrel and Edge, who, in storyline, was finally persuaded to join what became known as The Brood. The Brood briefly feuded with, then joined, The Undertaker's Ministry of Darkness, but upon learning that Christian was beaten down into telling Ken Shamrock the whereabouts of Stephanie McMahon, Undertaker wanted to punish Christian. More loyal to the Brood than to the Ministry, Edge and Gangrel turned on the Undertaker and rescued Christian.

Edge and Christian

The Gothic angle was successful, but soon after, Edge and Christian began to reach their full potential. They split with Gangrel, who associated himself with the Hardy Boyz to form the The New Brood. On October 17, 1999, at No Mercy, Edge and Christian competed against the Hardy Boyz in a Ladder match as part of the Terri Invitational Tournament. Although the Hardys won the match, the careers of both tag teams soared, and fans gave them a standing ovation.[4] After a run as faces most notable for their tendency to approach the ring via the audience, Edge and Christian redefined themselves as a bumbling comic duo of surfer/teenyboppers. They were most known for their "five second poses" ("for the benefit of those with flash photography"), which mocked either the opponents or city in which they happened to be. They repeatedly captured the WWF Tag Team Championship[9], as well as winning a Triple Threat Ladder match and two TLC matches.

Friction arose within the team after Edge won the annual King of the Ring tournament. Christian appeared to be jealous, insisted on carrying Edge's trophy to the ring and assaulted his tag team partner Edge after he had lost a WCW World Heavyweight Championship match to The Rock in September 2001. The former partners feuded over the Intercontinental Championship for several months, with the title changing hands several times.[10]

Singles competition
    The Un-Americans (Christian and Lance Storm)

Christian began a singles career, winning the WWE European Championship from Bradshaw[11], later losing the title to Diamond Dallas Page After this, he became known for throwing tantrums in the ring when he was unable to gain a pinfall. After a series of defeats, as part of his storyline, Christian announced that he was quitting the WWF. Page persuaded him not to quit and adopted him as his protegé. He later betrayed DDP and faced him for the European Championshi] at WrestleMania X8, but was defeated and once again threw a tantrum in the middle of the ring. Christian then formed a tag team with fellow Canadians Lance Storm and Test as part of The Un-Americans faction and then became the sidekick of Chris Jericho, with whom he once again won the Tag Team Championships.[9]

During this time, The Rock jumped to the RAW brand as a reward from Mr. McMahon for defeating Hulk Hogan at No Way Out. Christian befriended him and was therefore told by The Rock himself that Christian was "his new favorite WWE Superstar". Delighted to hear that from The Rock, Christian began using many of The Rock's mannerisms, which varied from calling his fans "The Peeps" (similar to The Rock calling his fans "The People") to using The Rock's one arm raised victory pose. He even called himself "The New People's Champion". During this time, he broke away from Chris Jericho and became The Rock's sidekick. He used his new found charisma to win a special nine man over-the-top-rope battle royal at Judgment Day for the vacant WWE Intercontinental Championship.[10] The following night on RAW, he appeared on Chris Jericho's "Highlight Reel" talk show segment, sporting a new haircut and ring attire. The Rock confronted Christian on the "Highlight Reel" stating that The Rock is "The one and only People's Champion". Unhappy about this, Jericho and Christian assaulted The Rock, only to fall victim to the Rock Bottom and the Book End when Booker T made the save. Christian later dropped the Intercontinental title to Booker, but regained it at a house show after Booker was legitimately injured.[10]

Late in 2003, Jericho and Christian started to court WWE Divas Trish Stratus and Lita, as part of a bet (for one Canadian dollar) to see who could have sex with their target first. Although the girls found out about the bet, Jericho and Stratus stayed together for the time being, leading to Jericho and Christian's split over her in early 2004. During a match between Christian and Jericho at WrestleMania XX, however, Trish turned on Jericho, allowing Christian to defeat him. Trish then joined forces with Christian, becoming his on-screen girlfriend in the process. During a steel cage match against Jericho on May 10, 2004, Christian suffered a severe back injury, causing him to miss almost four months of ring action.[4] He returned on the August 30 edition of RAW, picking up where he left off and continuing his feud with Jericho.

Captain Charisma

Christian's gimmick became that of a cocky, overconfident heel, although he was popular in Canada and the United Kingdom. He dubbed himself "Captain Charisma". On December 6, 2004, he was forced to wrestle as Captain Charisma, complete with a superhero costume, by Chris Jericho, who was general manager for the night. Christian was often accompanied by Tyson Tomko, whom he called his "problem solver", and usually won his matches with interference from Tomko or by some other method of cheating. He wrestled with The Hurricane as part of a tag team called "The Heroes," for one night, then faced The Hurricane the next week in a battle of the heroes. After this, the heroes aspect of the gimmick was dropped - though Christian continued to go by the nickname of "Captain Charisma". Christian was loosely paired with Edge again several times in late 2004 and early 2005. Despite being a heel, he acquired a fanbase, who he refers to as his "Peeps", "Peepulation" (a play on the word "population") or the "Christian Coalition" (which later became the name of his and Tomko's stable in TNA).

At the 2005 Royal Rumble, Christian had an encounter with John Cena and claimed that he was a better rapper than Cena. Over the next months, Christian began cutting promos denouncing John Cena as a 'poser'. Christian was noticeably cheered during these segments and was thought to be finally rising into the main event picture.[4] Soon after Cena came to RAW from SmackDown!, Cena went on to successfully defend the WWE Championship in a Triple Threat match between himself, Christian and Jericho at Vengeance.

Between the run-ins with Cena, Christian participated in the Money in the Bank ladder match at WrestleMania 21. He had a primary role in the parody trailer for Basic Instinct in connection with the "WrestleMania Goes Hollywood" theme at the event. On the June 30 episode of SmackDown!, Christian was the second-to-last man drafted to SmackDown! in the 2005 WWE Draft Lottery. He replaced The Big Show in a six-man elimination match for the new SmackDown! Championship, and lost to John Bradshaw Layfield. Christian had previously said in a promo that he hoped to be drafted to SmackDown! because the show needed a Canadian (though it had gotten one earlier in that same draft in the form of Chris Benoit). Christian bragged about how he was on the main event of both RAW and SmackDown! in the same week. Christian was soon given his own interview segment on SmackDown! called "The Peep Show."

Departure from WWE

On October 31, 2005, Reso's contract with WWE expired. According to Dave Meltzer, he was asked on the spot to sign a new contract but declined to sign the contract. His last match occurred during the tapings for the November 4 edition of SmackDown! Despite his quitting, Christian appeared on RAW and at Taboo Tuesday, fulfilling his obligations to the company, as he was one of five SmackDown! superstars eligible to be voted Edge and Gene Snitsky's opponents by the fans. As WWE had already announced his departure, there were notable chants of 'We want Christian' during the match, ironic considering the fans had not voted him into the match (they had voted for Rey Mysterio and Matt Hardy).

Contrary to prior rumors, Reso later claimed during his TNA debut speech at Genesis that WWE did not lowball him on their contract offer; in fact, supposedly, they offered him "a very hefty sum" to stay. He had made the decision to leave months before his contract expired and had agreed in principle to terms with Total Nonstop Action Wrestling prior to his departure. In that promo, Reso made several criticisms of WWE, citing the disproportionate amount of screen time allocated to Paul Levesque (Triple H) and the use of distasteful storylines, and claiming that WWE had become, like the now-defunct WCW before it, "old, boring, and lacking direction". In August 2006, WWE challenged Reso's attempts to trademark the name "Captain Charisma", saying that it will cause confusion in the marketplace because the persona was created while Reso was under contract to WWE. WWE feels that anything that Reso called himself in WWE belongs to WWE. As a result, TNA has stopped selling "Captain Charisma" merchandise until the issue was resolved.

From early 2007 onwards, Reso began calling himself the Instant Classic, suggesting that WWE has been ceded the rights to the "Captain Charisma" name. However, he does continue to be referred to as "Captain Charisma" in off-screen appearances and sometimes wears his "Captain Charisma" entrance jumpsuits to the ring at house shows.

With Christian I get a main event star with great mic skills who can work as a face or heel. And it all else fails I can reunite Edge and Christian, because they Reek Of Awesomeness,

BEACUSE THATS HOW I ROLL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

“The American Dream” Dusty Rhodes

DUSTY.jpg

“I'm the tower of power, too sweet to be sour, funky like a monkey.”

"The American Dream" has been one of the most popular and colourful professional wrestlers in history. With a long list of achievements, Dusty Rhodes is indeed a wrestling legend.

List of achievements:
    NWA (Central States) North American Tag Team titles w/Dick Murdoch defeating Terry & Tommy Martin (November 7, 1968);
    NWA Central States Heavyweight title defeating Tommy Martin (December 13, 1968); NWA (Texas) American Tag Team titles w/Baron Von Raschke defeating Thunderbolt Patterson & Wahoo McDanial (????, 1969);
    NWA (Texas) American Tag Team titles w/Dick Murdoch defeating ??????? (????, 1970); NWA (Detroit) World Tag Team titles w/Dick Murdoch defeating The Stomper & Ben Justice (March 21, 1970);
    NWA Florida Tag Team titles w/Dick Murdoch defeating Argentina Apollo & Jose Lothario (September 17, 1970);
    NWA Florida Brass Knuckles title defeating Jose Lothario (December 1, 1970);
    IWA (Australia) World Tag Team titles w/Dick Murdoch defeating Mario Milano & Mark Lewin (January 21, 1971);
    NWA (Tri State) North American Heavyweight title defeating Bill Watts (May 21, 1971); NWA (Hawaii) North American Heavyweight title defeating Sam Steamboat (November 25, 1972);
    NWA Florida Brass Knuckles title defeating ???????? (December ??, 1972);
    NWA Florida Tag Team titles w/Dick Slater defeating Kevin Sullivan & Mike Graham (????, 1973);
    NWA (Florida) Southern Heavyweight title defeating Bill Dromo (September 5, 1973); NWA (Florida) Southern Heavyweight title defeating Jos LeDuc (March ??, 1974);
    NWA Florida Heavyweight title defeating Bill Watts (November 28, 1974);
    NWA (Florida) Southern Heavyweight title defeating Killer Karl Krupp (????, 1975); NWA Florida Tag Team titles w/Blackjack Mulligan defeating ???????? (????, 1975); NWA Florida Heavyweight title defeating Bob Roop (October 6, 1975);
    NWA Georgia Heavyweight title defeating The Spoiler (January 30, 1976);
    NWA Florida Heavyweight title defeating Bob Orton Jr. (July 27, 1976);
    NWA Florida Heavyweight title defeating Billy Graham (Febuary 15, 1977);
    NWA Florida Heavyweight title defeating Buddy Wolfe (June ??, 1977);
    NWA Florida Heavyweight title defeating Ernie Ladd (August ??, 1977);
    NWA (Mid Atlantic) World Tag Team titles w/Dick Slater defeating Ole & Gene Anderson (September 23, 1977);
    NWA Florida Heavyweight title defeating Lars Anderson (November 26, 1977);
    NWA Florida Television title defeating Bobby Duncum Sr. (????, 1978);
    NWA (Florida) Southern Heavyweight title defeating Dick Slater (June 18, 1978);
    NWA Florida Heavyweight title defeating The Spoiler (June 19, 1978);
    NWA Florida Heavyweight title defeating Bob Roop [Tournament] (November 25, 1978); NWA (Tri State) United States Tag Titles w/Andre the Giant defeating Stan Hansen & Ernie Ladd [Tournament] (December 25, 1978);
    NWA Texas Brass Knuckles title defeating ????? (January ??, 1979);
    NWA Florida Television title defeating Bugsy McGraw (January ??, 1979);
    NWA Florida Heavyweight title defeating Curtis Iaukea (July 4, 1979);
    NWA World Heavyweight title defeating Harley Race (August 21, 1979);
    NWA Texas Brass Knuckles title defeating Mark Lewin (December 21, 1979);
    NWA (Florida) Southern Heavyweight title defeating Leroy Brown (Febuary 16, 1980); NWA (Florida) United States Tag Team titles w/Bugsy McGraw defeating Terry & Dory Funk Jr. [Tournament] (July 4, 1980);
    NWA Florida Tag Team titles w/Bobo Brazil defeating Nikolai Volkoff & Ivan Koloff (August ??, 1980);
    NWA Florida Heavyweight title defeating Bobby Jaggers (October 26, 1980);
    NWA (San Francisco) United States Heavyweight title defeating Dick Slater for vacant title (November 8, 1980);
    NWA Florida Tag Team titles w/Andre the Giant defeating R.T Tyler & Bobby Jaggers (Febuary 15, 1981);
    NWA World Heavyweight title defeating Harley Race (June 21, 1981);
    NWA (Florida) Southern Heavyweight title defeating Jimmy Garvin (October 31, 1982); NWA (Florida) Global Tag Team titles w/Terry Allen defeating Johnny Heffernan & Don Kent (Febuary 15, 1983);
    NWA (Florida) Bahamas Heavyweight title defeating Angelo Mosca (July ??, 1983);
    NWA (Florida) United States Tag Team titles w/Blackjack Mulligan defeating Zambouie Express (November 5, 1983);
    NWA (Mid Atlantic) World Tag Team titles w/Manny Fernandez defeating Don Kernodle & Ivan Koloff (October 20, 1984);
    NWA World Television title defeating Tully Blanchard (March 16, 1985);
    NWA World Television title defeating Tully Blanchard (July 6, 1985);
    NWA (Georgia) National Heavyweight title defeating Buddy Landell (December 19, 1985); NWA (Mid Atlantic) World Six Man Tag Team titles w/Road Warriors defeating Baron Von Raschke & The Koloffs (May 17, 1986);
    NWA World Heavyweight title defeating Ric Flair (July 26, 1986);
    NWA World Television title defeating Arn Anderson (September 9, 1986);
    NWA (Mid Atlantic) United States Heavyweight title defeating Lex Luger (November 26, 1987);
    NWA World Six Man Tag Team titles w/Road Warriors defeating Tully Blanchard & Arn Anderson & Ric Flair (July 9, 1988);
    PWF (Florida) Heavyweight title defeating Big Man Steele [Tournament] (March 11, 1989);
    Inducted into the WCW Hall of Fame of May 21st, 1995.
    NWA Mid Atlantic Tag Team titles w/Buff Bagwell defeating Terry Taylor & Rikki Nelson for vacant titles (January 22, 2005);
    OnlineWorldofWrestling.com Hall of Fame Inductee (2006);
    WWE (World Wrestling Entertainment) Hall of Fame Inductee (2007);

In my opinion, the Big Boss Man was one of the greatest men to ever set foot in a ring. OK, He was never a Kurt angle or a Chris Benoit, but for overall entertainment, i think he is easily one of the best. He was great at drawing heat from the crowd and was involved in some amazing storylines (including the infamous Kennel From Hell and Big Show's Father's storylines).

After a brief (but comedic) stint in 2001 when the alliance began to invade, Boss Man departed from WWE and was never to be seen again, sadly.

He was my overall favourite wrestler growning up and I just couldn't resist but pick him. An excellent heel.

Oh yeah, and Bull Buchanan's there, too. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Arn Anderson & Tully Blanchard

Two of the Four Horsemen, known as the Brain Busters in the WWF. Tremendous wrestlers both together and on their own. Arn was the powerhouse with the no-nonsense approach while Tully was more sneaky and probably more charismatic in the ring

Both were great on the mic too. Arn's promos were just like his wrestling style and Tully was just as good

Some of their accomplishments:

WWF Tag Team champions
    NWA Tag Team champions
    Arn was an NWA and WCW TV champion and was voted as the best on interviews in 1990 by Wrestling Observer readers
    Tully was an NWA US champion and was NWA TV champion for almost three years over three reigns

And a couple of videos:

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭jayhaitch2

Some know him as successful businessman
    Others as a financial advisor on TV.
    Others now him as one half of one of the toughest tag teams to grace the WWE.
    To some he will be remembered as the longest reigning champion in ten years.
    To me he is simply

A WRESTLING GOD.

My third pick is JBL

For me JBL was the top heel in the last 5 years. Firstly I was outraged that he was even getting a main event push, but then I was proven wrong and I just hated him because that was what I was supposed to. An arrogant pompous businessman with more money than the fans, he was made to be booed. He is dynamite on the mike and supremely effective in the ring.

He also can make you laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

This man isn't the face of Pro Wrestling in America, he IS pro wrestling in America. The man who is synonymous with modern day pro wrestling, few people (if any) have had the impact on the industry that he has had.

VINCE MC MAHON

188929773.jpg

Very few people in wrestling can generate the kind of heel heat that Mc Mahon can. He was one half of one of the greatest feuds in WWE history with Stone Cold Steve Austin. Granted, he's hardly a great wrestler, but that doesn't really matter since millions of people around the world tune in to see him get his ass kicked when he gets into the ring.

o ECW World Championship (1 time)[93]
    o WWF Championship (1 time)[94]
    o Royal Rumble (1999)[95]

o PWI Feud of the Year (1996) vs. Eric Bischoff[96]
    o PWI Feud of the Year (1998) vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin[96]
    o PWI Feud of the Year (1999) vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin[96]
    o PWI Feud of the Year (2001) vs. Shane McMahon[96]
    o PWI Feud of the Year (2002) vs. Ric Flair[96]
    o PWI Feud of the Year (2003) vs. Hulk Hogan[96]
    o PWI Match of the Year (2006) vs. Shawn Michaels at WrestleMania 22 on April 2, 2006[97]

o Best Booker (1987, 1998, 1999)
    o Best Promoter (1988, 1998-2000)
    o Wrestling Observer Newsletter Hall of Fame (Class of 1996)
    o Feud of the Year (1998, 1999) vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin
    o Best Non-Wrestler (1999, 2000)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

"Through Hellfire and Brimstone, here comes Kane!"

24.jpg

'A decade of destruction' was once a phrase used to describe The Undertaker but it could now just as easily be used for the younger brother of The Deadman, the tormented soul that is Kane!

Kane in my opinion is one of the most interesting characters in WWE history and his feud with his 'brother' The Undertaker was one of the more interesting storylines of the WWE's Attitude era. Kane has been a loyal servant to the WWE and is one of the most athletic 'big man' wrestlers the company has ever had. He also has a great presence about him and can connect with the audience (and did it for many years through a mask).

You have to feel somewhat sorry for younger wrestling fans who aren't old enough to recall the Kane of years gone by. To me, Kane's prime was in the years up until about late 2000 when he wore his mask and when he was famous for decimating people in ruthless fashion. Take a look at this video from 2000 showing the massive pop Kane got when he returned on Raw to destroy DX and the Radicalz (about 4 minutes in):

And here's one of my favourite moments that I remember well from my younger days when Kane made that cheating Jezebel Tori pay for going off with X-pac!

Kane has also had several accomplishments over the years.

Notable achievements:

- WWE Champion
    - ECW champion
    - 2 time Intercontinental champion
    - Hardcore champion
    - WCW tag team champion
    - 9 time WWE tag team champion

Yes The Big Red Machine in his prime was definitely the man and will prove a very welcome addition to my roster.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Danger_Dave

" Dvon ! Get The Tables ! " Thats Right my next pick is one of the greatest Tag teams in the history of sports entertainment !

dudleys_2000handout.jpg

A fusion of Hardcore Action and well crafted double team moves , The Dudley Boyz will be a perfect addition to my Brand. The Dudley'z popularized the use of tables in the mainstream of wrestling. Man or Woman it doesnt matter ! . They will be an excellent Heel tag , generating excellent heat. Psychotic at times ! Entertaining Always ! .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Big Poppa Pump Scott Steiner
    28.jpg
    Scott Steiner offers so much to a roster. For one, he has the most impressive physique of any wrestler I have ever seen. Secondly, he has an impressive amateur background and in his prime was great in the ring.As a pioneer of top rope moves as well as a great mat wrestler he effectively introduced the Hurricanrana to the mainstream public in the guise of the Frankensteiner (Wrestling Observer best move winner in 1989 and 1990) which has now become everpresent . He is also one of the best natural heels around considering that he seems like an absolute Dick. This promo on Ric Flair is one of my favourite and shows, that although not gifted with gab, he cuts great natural promos when passionate

He is a former WCW Heavyweight, Unites States and Television champion, effectively a WCW triple Crown

The Dog Faced Gremlin Rick Steiner
    Similarly to his brother, Rick Steiner had an impressive(albeit less succesful than his brother's) amateur wrestling career making him a natural at mat wrestling.As a singles wreslter Rick Steiner had a year long feud with the likes of Benoit Sting and Booker T for the WCW Television title although he never actually won it. He is a former WCW United States Champion as well.

The Steiner Brothers
    th_SteinerBrothersVideo.jpg
    As a tag team they were dominant from the outset, winning the NWA United States Tag Team championship less than a year after their debut. They held these belts (renamed the WCW United States tag belts), the WCW Tag championships and the IGWP Tag Championships at the same time. They are the only team in history to hold the WCW, IGWP and WWF tag team championships and are 10 time tag champions (Rick has 12 due to his runs with Eddie Gilbert and Kenny Kaos)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭michael.etc...

A man whom many people believe is one of the greatest performers never to hold the WWE title...

Ravishing Rick Rude

10.jpg

I've picked Rick Rude, because every great roster needs a versatile, credible, charismatic main event heel. Not only that, but the man was a complete workhorse, capable of dragging fine main events out of brutes like the Ultimate Warrior. He would be the guy you could count on to balance the spectacle with great wrestling, and also bring the two together.

Title History

Tennessee version of the Southern Heavyweight title
    Tennessee version of the Southern tag team titles w/King Kong Bundy
    Southern Heavyweight title
    NWA Florida United States tag team titles w/Jesse Barr
    NWA American Heavyweight title
    WCCW World Heavyweight champion
    World Class Championship Wrestling Television title
    NWA World tag team titles w/Manny Fernandez
    WWF Intercontinental title
    WCW United States Heavyweight title
    WCW International Heavyweight title

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭dez_warlock

My next pick is an unusual Tag Team that many may not even remember existed for a short period of time in 2004.

rhyno.jpg & tajiri.jpg

The Japanese Buzzsaw and the War Machine teamed in 2004 even chasing tag team gold. One is a former ECW Champion while the other is renowned for his hard hitting style and both will bring a unique blend of extreme to my roster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

Sorry guys Dunno how i missed JBL being picked so Instead...most sucuidal genocidal homicidal death defying
    Sabu

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Rd1: Hulk Hogan
    Rd2: John Cena

So far I have two big name, all American main-eventers who play mostly Faces although they can also play heels. So to accompany them and complete my main-event picture (most likely) is a non-American Heel who could believably hold his own in the ring with Hogan and Cena, a former 2 time WWF Champion & 2 time WWF tag champ….

Rd3: Yokozuna
    wrld-yokozuna02nd-1.jpg

Rest in peace big man
    • Pro Wrestling Illustrated
    o PWI Most Improved Wrestler of the Year award in 1993
    o PWI ranked him # 145 of the 500 best singles wrestlers during the "PWI Years" in 2003.
    • Universal Wrestling Association
    o UWA World Trios Championship (1 time) – as Kokina with Fatu and Samoan Savage as The Hawaiian Beasts
    • World Wrestling Federation
    o WWF Championship (2 times)[6]
    o Royal Rumble (1993)[8]
    o WWF World Tag Team Championship (2 times) with Owen Hart[7],

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Dia Dhuit a chairde,

I've only had a couple of minutes to look over the thread so I hope I haven't gone wrong but I'm shocked that my pick wasn't chosen yet.

I’m very happy to announce my third pick, one of the true legends in wrestling. Having secured with my first 2 picks the best tag team in the Bulldogs, the best big man wrestler in Vader and arguably in his prime the best pure wrestler of all time in Dynamite Kid I am going to go in a slightly different direction.

Introducing the former AWA champion, Jerry the King Lawler:

35.jpg

For younger wrestling fans, he may be seen as the color guy on Raw. He was much more than that. At his peak, very few people could create the drama that he could in his feuds through his ring work and his work on the mic and it’s notable that he won feud of the year 3 times in the Wrestling Observer awards.

He wasn’t Bret Hart in the ring in terms of teqhnique. However if you watch him at his peak, he had phenomenal timing in that even the most basic thing he did could elicit passionate reactions.

An overlooked legend who could play face or heel.

Here’s some results from the Observer awards:
    · Wrestling Observer Newsletter awards
    Feud of the Year (1987) vs. Austin Idol and Tommy Rich
    Feud of the Year (1992) with Jeff Jarrett vs. The Moondogs
    Feud of the Year (1993) vs. Bret Hart
    Wrestling Observer Newsletter Hall of Fame (Class of 1996)[115]

A collection of great promos:

Must see, the infamous Kaufmann and Lawer incident on Letterman:

Classic match with Nick Bockwinkel:

Apologies if none of these links work.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

my third pick is

52p6p07.jpg

one of my favourite tag teams since the hardyz. they were always entertaining to watch when they were on SD(pity about the move to Raw and then the break up)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement