Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Skool Carlow Shops

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

Unfortunately I have just come across this thread now..

Fantastic memories.. I cant wait to get home fro Christmas and have a good oul walk around the town.

Katz.. jaysus I havent heard of that place in a while, or super trooper, ye could get your fireworks in there around halloween.
    The lady that owned the shop there beside the Col passed away a few years ago. Apparently the shop was broken into and she was beaten up by some cowardly bastards but she stayed going with the shop until she died.

I was doing a list of 12 pubs that a few of us might do over the Christmas,. Its actually nearly easier to list 12 pubs that are closed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

doughef wrote: »

I was doing a list of 12 pubs that a few of us might do over the Christmas,. Its actually nearly easier to list 12 pubs that are closed :(

That's a slight exaggeration don't you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

ShayK1 wrote: »
    That's a slight exaggeration don't you think?

I wouldn't think so.

I started drinking in Carlow in '85.

A lot of the pubs from then are changed beyond all recognition or are gone altogether.

The Graduate/Toners (Tullow St)
    The Buzz
    Archies
    Manouvers (Kennedy St)
    Finnegans
    Royal Hotel/Zhivagos
    Amadeus
    Kennedys (the Beehive)
    Kellys (Dunkirk)
    Hurleys (Dublin St)
    Little Owl
    Noel Duggans
    Maggie Bolgers
    Lennons gone?

Anyway, there's a few I remember frequenting, in nights long gone by.
    I'm sure there's more though.

Unfortunately its true..

Loads of decent pubs closed down over the last few years. I do however think that its a great drinking town, Irishmans, Tavern, Scraggs front bar are as good a pub as you'll get in any town.

Dont remember Amadeus though.. Where was that?? and I still cant believe Finnegans is a poxy Bank of Scotland :eek:

Dont remember Amadeus though.. Where was that??

It was near the Boatclub, cant think of the name of the street offhand.

Think it became Dicey Reileys later on. Could be wrong on that though...

• Advertisement

I have ye now,

thanks for that..

No probs.:)

Another place I remember as a kid was the Ritz Cellar Bar.

It was underneath where Cosmo Browns is now.

I was never in it, but sometimes wonder if it still exists down there, like some kind of buried time capsule.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

I stand corrected.
    AFAIK, the people that ran Lennon's are now running the bar and restaurant in the theatre.

The Ritz cellar bar?

You have a few years on me if your drinking in the town since 85' but I heard of that place.
    I think its actually the cellar for Cosmo Browns or whatever thats called now, but I did hear it was a fairly well known late night \ early morning place.

wouldnt ye love to go into it for a pint. Another good spot was Jons bar on Tullow st..

The Ritz cellar bar?

You have a few years on me if your drinking in the town since 85' but I heard of that place.
    I think its actually the cellar for Cosmo Browns or whatever thats called now, but I did hear it was a fairly well known late night \ early morning place.

wouldnt ye love to go into it for a pint. Another good spot was Jons bar on Tullow st..

Ah, I was only 17 then & in my first year in the Regional.:D

I think Jons became Lennons later on, or am I confusing that with Lennons Corner?

• Advertisement

Lennons corner was where the Med bar is now.. which was the Old House (Crackin' little pub it was too) and Jons was where Lennons cafe Bar was..

A friend of mine used to work in Saints and Sinners around 1999 -2000 and he brought me in the back one day where you could still see some of the old Archies back bar.. was really cool to see it

you mentioned Hurleys earlier on Dublin St.. whats there now??

Lennons corner was where the Med bar is now.. which was the Old House (Crackin' little pub it was too) and Jons was where Lennons cafe Bar was..

A friend of mine used to work in Saints and Sinners around 1999 -2000 and he brought me in the back one day where you could still see some of the old Archies back bar.. was really cool to see it

you mentioned Hurleys earlier on Dublin St.. whats there now??

It used to be opposite Murray's sweetshop, or thereabouts.

T'was part of a hotel complex there in the early '90s.

Went into it once or twice en route to Mimes at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

hurleys became the courthouse hotel if i am not mistaken? does anyone remember the name of a pub that used to be down near racey byrnes where teach dolmen is now? remember going in there on a sunday night and being the youngest in the place:)
    not sure but it could have been caulfields?

foggy_lad wrote: »
    hurleys became the courthouse hotel if i am not mistaken? does anyone remember the name of a pub that used to be down near racey byrnes where teach dolmen is now? remember going in there on a sunday night and being the youngest in the place:)
    not sure but it could have been caulfields?

Well, Racy Byrnes used to be Lawlors of the Plough.

Caulfields rings a bell with me alright, but there was also Mc Dermots grocery & bar in that vacinity AFAICR.

Also, it could have been an MNC shop.

Remember them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

foggy_lad wrote: »
    does anyone remember the name of a pub that used to be down near racey byrnes where teach dolmen is now?

yeah it was definitely McDermotts pub

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭lotdpd

was it not the acorn pub????

lotdpd wrote: »
    was it not the acorn pub????
    it had those old harp and guinness lamps in the windows ya know the revolving ones, and was a bar area up neer the front and a long loung type of area extending out towards the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

Anyone remember McDermott's on Tullow St?

McDermott's was definitely where Teach Dolman is.

carlowboy wrote: »
    Anyone remember McDermott's on Tullow St?

McDermott's was definitely where Teach Dolman is.
    Yes I used to go in there for a few pints on a Sunday night after arriving back in Carlow from Dublin. They always had a great pint of Guinness, it was the only place in Carlow I would drink Guinness!

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Lawros Tache

As said above McDermotts was where Teach Dolman is now but @FoggyLad, there was also a pub in that area called Caulfield's.

It was further up towards Shamrock square, on the same side, think there's an Opticians there now.

If it helps you remember which one you were thinking of then as you went into McDermotts the bar ran along the right wall, in Caulfield's, the bar ran along the left.
    Both were similar in that they had a bar area at the front and the lounge behind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

wow this is a zombie thread! last activity before yesterday was 2009!

Locking as per charter, please try to avoid digging up really old threads when posting in future.

regards
    Tommy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement