Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Skool Carlow Shops

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

That deserves a thread of its own for discussion, great video.

Gotta agree, great video.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Gotta agree, great video.

here here.. what was the spire that was on Tullow St???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭carlowguy32

lucylu wrote: »

what spire?
    anyone remember nexus night club, what was it before that, cant think of the name, or archies or maggie bolgers, great nights, atkinsons toy shop, yea the old pool up in the park does anyone remember the shop there where okeefes is now, it was a house and an old woman just selling stuff from the window

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

lucylu wrote: »

Thanks shenanigans and lucylu :)

The 'spire' was part of the Presentation Convent. Looking at pictures of it, it seemed to be a fairly heavy structure, inadequatly supported. Dont know when, or how it dissapeared, perhaps it was damaged in a storm, or seen as a danger and removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

ClioV6 wrote: »
    Cafe Roma :(

Ah the best Carlow shop ever. Loved it after nights out quality chips well worth the queue!
    But best memory is as a young kid back in 80's when our sat lunch wud always be a trip down to tullow st to get chips & burgers all round + the vital curry sauce. Me & the sister wud always go with dad to get it...there was something weirdly exciting about it looking back...but its a good memory.
    Chips were great, Cafe Roma is a sad loss to the town...havent tasted chips to match it yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

the little sweet shop that used to be at the lights on the kilkenny road, not on the green road but at the derelict house on the corner. dont think it had a name:pac:

remember when you had to fight to get into Tullys any night of the week then they extended/ruined it by catering for yuppie types that want to be fed all kinds of trendy food and coffees and drinkin chocolate.

people have no business looking for coffee in a pub after 10.30am that's what bewleys is for!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Stevecw wrote: »
    Ah the best Carlow shop ever. Loved it after nights out quality chips well worth the queue!
    But best memory is as a young kid back in 80's when our sat lunch wud always be a trip down to tullow st to get chips & burgers all round + the vital curry sauce. Me & the sister wud always go with dad to get it...there was something weirdly exciting about it looking back...but its a good memory.
    Chips were great, Cafe Roma is a sad loss to the town...havent tasted chips to match it yet.

Florino's... I'm telling ya... best chips in town!!

ShayK1 wrote: »
    Florino's... I'm telling ya... best chips in town!!

or the wimpy on dublin st, (golden grill) i know ppl who still call it the wimpy, i think we had it before but house and home where lifstyle is now or who remember the old haddens before the fire, or when the guarda station was where the barracks pub is now, or the old cinema called the col, or the punch bowl pub, what about where the bowling alley was on barrack st that used to be a place which sold tractors and other agri machines, when that bowling alley opened it was the place to be

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Rainbow Records can be included in this thread now too :(

Rainbow Records can be included in this thread now too :(

Did it close?? When??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭lotdpd

anyone remember the man who use to fix your shoes on dublin st... use to be beside pizza dante, think his name was c lewis, use to scare the life out of me when i went in but always loved the smell in there from the leather... no jokes please.

Also the ritz shopping centre class or what haha....

Anyone else remember when supermacs use to be NEW YORK NEW YORK

and the pound shop that use to be where interflora is now on tullow st....
    those lovely public toilets that use to be there outside where detail is now...
    murphys post office just after the bridge in graigue(bookies office now)
    and mcdonalds shop on the bridge, you would go in with 20p to get your stickets for your shoot magazine.....

come on lads lets keep the memories going...

the carlow lodge hotel, now the dolmen hotel, the stables bar, now nancy wiskeys, or the tullow street shopping centre where dinn ri is, there was a toy/joke shop there i think

L&N, McDermots Pub (teach dolmen), Alec Byrnes Barber College St, Lennons Corner (med bar), Kartel Clothes Shop just up from that, HWilliams or Giant on the Tullow Rd (millars pub), in Giant a hooter used to go off and the people at the check out at that time would get there shopping free, there were other supermarkets there but these 2 come to mind, i think there was cooneys sports shop in the same complex, swans foodmarket on kennedy street

lotdpd wrote: »
    anyone remember the man who use to fix your shoes on dublin st... use to be beside pizza dante, think his name was c lewis, use to scare the life out of me when i went in but always loved the smell in there from the leather... no jokes please.

Yep, his name was Lewis alright, I barely remember the shop, a real small dark little front room, with a counter and full to the brim with shoes, like a throw back from Victorian times (I doutbh it had actually changed much since those times!). Sure who'd take a pair of shoes to be mended now? You'd feck them in the bin and buy a new pair! Shame to see such trades dying.

yea that lewis man had abit of a bad back, he used to be bent over permanently, nice man, anyone remember holdens where lennons pub is now, it was like sean donnellys with all stuff hanging outside and in the door way, you could buy alomst anything in there, there are no shops like them any more

what about when fast eddies chippers was a clothes shop he did school uniforms and dat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭inarut

Ryans aka the golden goose where closh stores is now. Also remember shopping in Giant on Tullow Road as a kid and we got half price on everything when the hooter went off (very loud btw). The shop (which is centra now) has also seen The Three Guys, H Williams, Tesco and Super Valu come and go over a 20 year period. Also got my hair cut in Vincents on Tullow St and used to get cheap pound shop like stuff in the Tullow St Shopping Centre.
    There was also a chipper on Tullow St beside where Bradburys used to be.

Speaking of the bookshop we are currently lacking in Carlow- we have had the Carlow Bookshop, Pauls and Chapter One (beside Lennons) in the recent past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

when the market would bring the whole town to a crawl from potato market or when it was moved to barrack street, reading the sign "NO boys haircutting on saturdays" in O'Tooles on a saturday afternoon and feeling like a man because he cut your hair. these are still both operating but should be included for the memories they bring up!

foggy_lad wrote: »
    when the market would bring the whole town to a crawl from potato market or when it was moved to barrack street, reading the sign "NO boys haircutting on saturdays" in O'Tooles on a saturday afternoon and feeling like a man because he cut your hair. these are still both operating but should be included for the memories they bring up!

O'Tooles! I can remember my Da bringing me in there, I was sat up on about ten books and given a shearin!

• Advertisement

O'Tooles! I can remember my Da bringing me in there, I was sat up on about ten books and given a shearin!
    it was either o'tooles or alec byrnes for the short back and sides, who remembers casablanca on castle hill it was an amusment arcade place, great place for mitching school

it was either o'tooles or alec byrnes for the short back and sides, who remembers casablanca on castle hill it was an amusment arcade place, great place for mitching school

That place was a regular haunt on a Wednesday afternoon during school time:)

Mick O'Tooles, he'd put a piece of wood across the arms of the seat for you to sit up on! Isnt he still there? Or at least there is still a hairdressers there, right?

Mick O'Tooles, he'd put a piece of wood across the arms of the seat for you to sit up on! Isnt he still there? Or at least there is still a hairdressers there, right?

My Da still goes there, not sure if its the same man doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭aynon

My Da still goes there, not sure if its the same man doing it.
    if it aint broke dont fix it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

The little fruit shop on Tullow street just down from Reddies. It was stuffed full of different types of fruit. I remember buying a dozen apples and the old lady there trawled through the entire display (about 6 big trays) to find the best ones, then she polished up each one on her shopcoat before putting them in the bag. You don't get service like that anymore!

that's cause people just want to crap a bag of apples and get the f*ck out of the shop.

or mary kelly's sweet shop near the l&n, i used to get a quarter of apple drops on a saturday and go home and play with my toy soldiers, no playstations back then

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭lotdpd

what about wille raths shop when is was just like his front sitting room.....haha

The apollo chippers on barrack st, i know there is some kinda takeaway there now but the apollo did the most amazin burgers...

and the shop that use to be on the left hand side of the old cinema, what was that? its a barbers now....

• Advertisement

lotdpd wrote: »
    and the shop that use to be on the left hand side of the old cinema, what was that? its a barbers now....

Wasnt there a sweet shop there? Or was that the other side?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement