Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Skool Carlow Shops

Options
  • 20-06-2008 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭

Somebody said to me last weekend, "ah you'll get that in Super Trooper in Carlow". Its at least ten years since that store closed! So heres a few other shops that have long departed.

Who remembers these:

Super Trooper
    Ah the memories, buying things such as dog tags, face paint, torches and pen knives! Now a chipper?

Pauls Bookshop
    Sorely missed second hand book shop. Now a recruitment agency, hair salon and other generic shop.

Atkinsons Toy Shop
    Remember this shop on Tullow Street? The worlds smallest door! Now a jewellery shop?

Gillespes(sp?) Electrical Store
    Small scale version of Woodies, now McDonalds.

Darrers(sp?)
    Now another department store, memories of the stairs up to the toy section!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

The Rock and Pop Shop!!!

Legend of a store

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

The Rock and Pop Shop on Dublin St ( now Camelot)

Crottys Bakery (empty)

O'Conners Newsagents (was Easons now empty)

C E Electronics - Music instrument shop ( now Oonagh Conroys)

Colemans Bike Shop!

lucylu wrote: »

C E Electronics - Music instrument shop ( now Oonagh Conroys)

Thats CJ Electronics Lucy
    Think he moved down into Graig for awhile but don't quote me on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Colemans bike shop moved to that lane off of tullow street beside bosco's and opposite the amusement arcade. Nice guy to deal with too

Thanks Rasco. Never knew that

• Advertisement

a few More

Carlow Bookshop - Now Grahams shoes

Jones Shoe shop on the corner of Tullow st and potato market... the only place to get Doc Martins and School shoes back in the Day

Bank of Ireland Potato Market ( now O'Briens Wines)

The Old Square fountain in the Haddens Car Park - now Dinn Ri Beer Garden

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Anyone remember Jones show repair on Tullow St? Right on the corner, think it is now actually a show shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭fitzyshea

Anyone remember Jones show repair on Tullow St? Right on the corner, think it is now actually a show shop.

Yes its a shoe shop again. I miss crottys, but I really wish whoever bought it would do something with it. Its been closed for years now and falling apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭aynon

ah the memories, if you look up a walk around carlow on youtube you get to see the old fountain on haddens, etc.

i remember going into the shoe shop as a child, one of the place i went to get measured for shoes, only place i reallygot a comfortable proper pair of shoes!

something that recently closed is the mix and match shop on college street....used to love going in there for military surplus...any one else do that?

aynon wrote: »

i remember going into the shoe shop as a child, one of the place i went to get measured for shoes, only place i reallygot a comfortable proper pair of shoes!

Did he cup you when measuring?!

• Advertisement

isnt that how they measure shoes?

aynon wrote: »
    isnt that how they measure shoes?

Of course it is...

Funnily enough, I walked past Mix n Match today and sure it is closed. How long has it been closed for? That street hasnt changed much over the years

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Atkinsons Toy Shop
    Remember this shop on Tullow Street? The worlds smallest door! Now a jewellery shop?

Darrers(sp?)
    Now another department store, memories of the stairs up to the toy section!

Atkinsons was great for model making supplies, Humbrol paints, etc etc for model planes and the likes. Only Bernie Hayes left now who has a decent range of such materials.

Darrers indeed :o, up the stairs and immediately to the right were all the toys, cheap stuff, but great to a young kid! I know in my house, and many of my families a plastic bag is still refered to as a 'Darrer's Bag'. Seemingly they were the first to introduce such a bag around these parts and the name stuck.

Speaking of cheap toys, what about the 'Pound Shop' on Tullow Street?! Right on the corner where a flower shop is now. If you got a pound off the parents or a family member this shop was the place to go!! :D

'House and Home' anyone? In the 'Quinnsworth' (now Penny's) shooping centre, approx where Lifestyle Sports used to be located, I have vague memories of it, but I do remember they used to sell Lego, when I didnt blow my £1 in the Pound Shop I'd save up £2 and get a little £1.99 Lego kit here.

Saxons on Tullow Street? Seen as shoes were mentioned, I remember going in there as a child and putting your foot into that measuring thingy :)

Sean Donnelly's old shop on Castle Street, probably the last remaining old style shop in the town, the guy had literally everything, from household goods, to tools, bits and bobs to fruit and vegtables. No fancy counters or displays, just a decent honest shop!
    aynon wrote:
    something that recently closed is the mix and match shop on college street....used to love going in there for military surplus...any one else do that?
    Went down to it back in March to try pick up some gear for a fancy dress and the guy whom owns it, that has the electrical shop next to it said that it was closing, that they'd be having a clear out sale at some stage.

I used to frequent it too for the military surplus, used to love looking around at all the stuff, can still remember the smell even! :pac:. Guy that worked there was cool too, I bought something one day and he gave me an American M1 helmet out of the window for free!! :D

'JC Video' Just seen them clearing this place out last week, used to be a good 'oul spot for a vid-jo :p

What was that other video shop in Castle Hill, in the small, so called 'shopping centre'? 'Flix'? It was a pretty small shop.

Of course it is...

Funnily enough, I walked past Mix n Match today and sure it is closed. How long has it been closed for? That street hasnt changed much over the years
    about 6 months now i'd say.... ah the good old days.....damn teenagers! with their music!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Cafe Roma :(

ClioV6 wrote: »
    Cafe Roma :(
    mmmm...the chips had an indivual taste! only close to it is is umburtos.....pizza dante

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Hopefully I'll help the regeneration of Tullow st when I open the Special Days store in the former Easons unit. - We're planning to have a Chocolatier and gourmet food area within the stores - anyone for a quarter of pineapple chunks??

mcaul wrote: »
    Hopefully I'll help the regeneration of Tullow st when I open the Special Days store in the former Easons unit. - We're planning to have a Chocolatier and gourmet food area within the stores - anyone for a quarter of pineapple chunks??
    oh!!defo!
    whats your eta for opening this store? or have you even got that far?

Design stage & legals.

Hoping to commence shop fitting in mid July, opening 1st week August or thereabouts.

The Chocolatier area will have a choice of 40 handmade chocolates (Irish) in traditional serve over style.

still looking for staff? im looking to change jobs. can help stock shop, have alot expierence doing that!

• Advertisement

just e-mail cv to peter@giftmaster.ie and I'll see what we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

i miss crottys too....the smell of bread in the morning was gorgeous!

darres was brilliant for school supplies and especially the old canvas school bags they used to sell....no one has them anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Gillespes(sp?) Electrical Store
    Small scale version of Woodies, now McDonalds.
    Wasn't it to the right of McDee's, down a stairs, not so long ago?

the_syco wrote: »
    Wasn't it to the right of McDee's, down a stairs, not so long ago?

That was in fact Shaws, they moved there while there actual store was been renovated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

ah when superquin was thomsons and the park was the place to be on sunday afternoon! you could swim if the pool was open and take a spooky walk though the graveyard if the smell from brennans didn't put you off.

getting sweets in murrays sweet shop on dublin street when visiting a relative in St Brigids, the royal hotel and the owl for a few pints robinsons for a bed or bit of carpet

foggy_lad wrote: »
    ah when superquin was thomsons and the park was the place to be on sunday afternoon! you could swim if the pool was open and take a spooky walk though the graveyard if the smell from brennans didn't put you off.

getting sweets in murrays sweet shop on dublin street when visiting a relative in St Brigids, the royal hotel and the owl for a few pints robinsons for a bed or bit of carpet

Jaysus, Brennans eh, that brought back some memories of my parents bringing me to the 'playing park' as I called it as a young 'un. The smell from that place as we passed by after coming up off the track was pretty rancid.

I was never actually in the pool, but do remember it. My clearest memory of it however was when it was derelict, the pool full of manky water and the dressing rooms the place for wino's to hang out :p

I'm gonna pimp my video now :D, I started making this long before this thread, the 'now' pics were taken in October 2007. Unfortunately the 'before' pics were long before any of our time, but, interesting non the less.

nice vid but i believe you made a typo. "Illustrates"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,749 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Page One
    Pound Shop
    Tullys Sport Shop

Jaysus, Brennans eh, that brought back some memories of my parents bringing me to the 'playing park' as I called it as a young 'un. The smell from that place as we passed by after coming up off the track was pretty rancid.

I was never actually in the pool, but do remember it. My clearest memory of it however was when it was derelict, the pool full of manky water and the dressing rooms the place for wino's to hang out :p

I'm gonna pimp my video now :D, I started making this long before this thread, the 'now' pics were taken in October 2007. Unfortunately the 'before' pics were long before any of our time, but, interesting non the less.

That deserves a thread of its own for discussion, great video.

• Advertisement

ShayK1 wrote: »
    nice vid but i believe you made a typo. "Illustrates"

Well spotted :mad:........:p. Cheers.

That deserves a thread of its own for discussion, great video.

Its not a 'shop' as such, well........its not a shop at all really. But, does anyone remember the 'parrot' machine that used to be at the entrance to the small, pokey little shopping centre that led onto Burrin Street? The Parrot used to give out an egg with a toy in it when you put 10 or 20p into it, cant remember now. God I loved that parrot!! :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement