Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Skool Carlow Shops

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Loveless wrote: »
    wasn't there a Mr. Minute shoe repair / key cutters just to the right of the fountain..

Brilliant memorising there! There was also a grab a toy type machine there, it was the easiest machine ever, guaranteed a win!

Oh, one more!

Rememer Supermacs was called New York, New York!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

I seem to rem when it was Gillespies hardware in the '80s. Pauls bookshop was part of the same deal too, if I rem correctly.

Pauls Bookshop was a great service in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭shotgun mike

Sorry, wayyyyyyy off topic, but, does anyone remember Alfie King? He used to go around the town in the summer with only a pair of shoes and a trousers on him carrying a big log on his shoulder! :confused: He used to be challanging people to see if they could lift it! He was a bit of a muscle man! lol.

Alfie - a man amongst boys. Does anyone rember the 666 man from rathnapish..... or mad eileen??

Finnegans - I still cross myself everytime i pass halifax, best pint of stout in the town

• Advertisement

Yeah, rem Alfie alright. Bout 10 years ago was stuck in traffic in Tullow st & saw him dodging through the cars. Stripped to the waist, he was, doing the whole shadowboxing/Rocky thing. Didnt know what to make of it. Needless to say I locked the car doors & hoped the traffic cleared pronto!

what about him going around on daffodil day with a load of daffodils shoved down his pants offering them to passer-bys.

Then the docs got hold of him and filled him with drugs. bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭HarryD

Great thread..
    Good aul Alfie.. We were all scared of him at school, but I think he was harmless. I think he was up for showering naked in the garden.
    666 - big mop of curly hair on him. He disappeared off the scene.. wonder what happened to him.

Old shops:
    Bradburys cafe on tullow street close to Darrers. Huge out the back.
    Katz arcade - pretty derilict now, still got that sports shop.. what's his name..
    Old Ritz Cinema - I mine breaking in there with a friend one morning when we were supposed to be at mass. It was closed down.. Surreal place inside.

Is Weedy still on the scene ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

HarryD wrote: »

Is Weedy still on the scene ?

I still see her coming and going alright, lol.

Heres one for ye! Does anyone remember the restaurant that used to be in that little 'centre' that you passed through to get to Penny's off Burrin Street, immediately on the left there was a restaurant. All I can remember about it was that it sold 'Canada Dry' drinks and it was the first, and last time that I had such a drink, in fact, I dont even know what the drink is!! :P

The sign for the drink was outside the empty shop up until recently I believe! Ring any bells......

AssetFactory.aspx?did=6447

You mean the Hanover Arcade?
    Well Katz restaurant was in there in the mid '80s. I used to go in there sometimes when an RTC student back then. As far as I rem, it was on both sides for a while, but can,t be sure.
    It may have been called different names over the years though....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

You mean the Hanover Arcade?
    Well Katz restaurant was in there in the mid '80s. I used to go in there sometimes when an RTC student back then. As far as I rem, it was on both sides for a while, but can,t be sure.
    It may have been called different names over the years though....

Katz! Yes, tha rings a bell alright! I just remember it being on the one side, would have been late 80's early 90's I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭HarryD

There was small chineese beside Katz, almost unmarked.
    They had some arcade machines in the entrance..
    Mine the old sweet shop on granby row. The lady was very friendly
    The old man that used to sit outside his house everyday on granby row, and wave at people as they went passed.

I saw a scene recently on Reeling in the years of Tullow St in the early 80's.
    (Some politician and supporters walking down, Darrers/Bradburys in the background)
    I must try cut it and get it up here..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

I still see her coming and going alright, lol.

Heres one for ye! Does anyone remember the restaurant that used to be in that little 'centre' that you passed through to get to Penny's off Burrin Street, immediately on the left there was a restaurant. All I can remember about it was that it sold 'Canada Dry' drinks and it was the first, and last time that I had such a drink, in fact, I dont even know what the drink is!! :P

The sign for the drink was outside the empty shop up until recently I believe! Ring any bells......

As already mentioned, that was Katz, AFAIK Canada Dry is a ginger ale. (possibly from Canada? :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

HarryD wrote: »
    Katz arcade - pretty derilict now, still got that sports shop.. what's his name..

Its Cooney's isn't it?

That's closing down too though :(

cooneys - what a shop! fake metallica t-shrts and numbers for your jerseys, legend.

666 man is still tipping around, but not as much as before. If ya want a glimpse of weedy head down to supermacs around 12.30 at night, any night. like clockwork she is. anyone remember the tan man, brian daly?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭philog

old man sitting outside house in granby row was billy o keeffe r.i.p lovely man little shop in granby row was mrs hades shop beefy hades granny if you had a shilling in those days youd be chewing all day .....anybody remember selling scrap to henry robinson in burrin st ...burrin street was a lovely street in them days ...i spent all my childhood in it...got my first bottle of cider jn jimmy kellys pub

Not exactly a shop, but a real Carlow institution all the same.

The Factory!

Was standing outside the gates a couple of weeks ago and was sad to see that the whole site is more or less 'flat' at this stage. The weighbridge is still there, as is the lime kiln. (de big tall iron yoke)

I had my first 'official' job there! In 1987/88. I was seconded to the Armer Salmon division as part of a work experiance thing ,whilst I was a student at carlow RTC. I was there for 6 months.

On my last day there, I decided that it would be a great idea to up climb up the lime kiln. Even 1/3 of the way up I was over all the factory buildings!
    Anywho when I got to the top, I lit a ciggie & took in the view. I could see the whole county from there on that clear day....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭aynon

sigh....that must of been lovely....

oh another institution braun is nearly on the way out apparently, they are doing a 3 month survey, if they dont do well, ka-put!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭road_high

aynon wrote: »
    sigh....that must of been lovely....

oh another institution braun is nearly on the way out apparently, they are doing a 3 month survey, if they dont do well, ka-put!

I was just passing the other day and wondering how the hell are they surviving the current storm.
    Even in the "good aul days" of the celtic tiger (when Carlow industry was decimated btw) Braun was in trouble all the time. I remember when there was 1300 there at once stage.

Lapple, Sugar, Celtic Linen all gone now. Braun must be doing something right to survive this long. Fingers crossed....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

If anybody had photos of the old Quinnsworth place before it became one big Penney's/Pennie's/Penny's, I'd love to see them. The videos on Youtube keep their distance!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

ShayK1 wrote: »
    Its Cooney's isn't it?

That's closing down too though :(

isnt cooneys by quinnsworth? katz was over the other side of the street where dinn ri is

or was it? I cant remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

iamhunted wrote: »
    isnt cooneys by quinnsworth? katz was over the other side of the street where dinn ri is

Nah, Katz was in the far end of the arcade to Penneys car park. Burren st side. Think the sign may still be outside the boarded up arcade doors.
    Remember my mother taking me in there for a club orange and maybe a purple snack sometimes many years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

cashback wrote: »
    Nah, Katz was in the far end of the arcade to Penneys car park. Burren st side. Think the sign may still be outside the boarded up arcade doors.
    Remember my mother taking me in there for a club orange and maybe a purple snack sometimes many years ago.

Spot on. You could access that arcade from both Pennys carpark and Burren St. Many a Saturday afternoon was spent in Katz

what as the one that was by blakes hairdressers over at hadden carpark?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I hate you

Drawing a blank here ahhhhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Not the country kitchen in Haddens? Which I think is still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭patrickc

cashback wrote: »
    Not the country kitchen in Haddens? Which I think is still there.

yeh the country kitchen is still there, same as ever

no - this was where dinn ri now is - you used to be able to walk through the arcade, past blakes, past a cafe on the right and a disued shop on the left, then out to where roughly the beer garden of dinn ri is.

• Advertisement

definitely was there until the early 90s anyway

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement