Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S04E10 - Revelations [***SPOILERS***]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Hmmm, now to be the voice of dissent. I thought it was a reasonably good episode - I wasn't impressed with Adama or Lee's over-reactions to Tigh's confession, or the hand-wavey approach to the passage of time, or the fact that Baltar was apparently inches away from death last episode but spry on his feet in this episode.

The ending felt very over-the-top at first - the ships jumping all at once without reconnaisance was politically expedient but in terms of military operations very stupid, and the celebrations were a bit premature considering they hadn't checked out the planet yet. It did serve to create a nice double-take once they actually arrived on the surface, although the similarity to the ending of Season 2 detracted from it.

I'm interested enough that I will watch the second half of the season. It's still not proved to be anywhere near as good as seasons one and two were, which is a shame; hopefully there's something interesting planned for the final cylon model, and I hope that they don't chicken out and do a "leave it to the viewer's interpretation" on the reason for all the visions that Baltar, Rosalyn and Starbuck have had throughout the show. If they can pull it all together in a coherent way they could still pull off a series conclusion good enough to match the quality and promise of the first two seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Dar

wet-paint wrote: »
    Strange, that Deanna knew that there were only four of the final five in the fleet, so I guess that rules out everyone we know being the final one.

Unless the fifth was one of the colonial hostages on the base ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Holy frack they're on Earth, never thought it would happen but there ya have it.

Best episode of Galactica there ever has been, it had everything and more...

What an ending, so many questions that It's going to kill us having to wait almost a year for any new episodes, the biggest question on my mind is where do they go from here? what now???

Noticed they were presumably picking up radiation from the soil, aftermath of a nuclear war?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Fenster wrote: »
    I want to make babies with Bear McCreary, the score to Revelations was simply amazing. :]
    +1, buddy. That score was something else entirely!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

robby^5 wrote: »
    Holy frack they're on Earth, never thought it would happen but there ya have it.

Best episode of Galactica there ever has been, it had everything and more...

What an ending, so many questions that It's going to kill us having to wait almost a year for any new episodes, the biggest question on my mind is where do they go from here? what now???

Noticed they were presumably picking up radiation from the soil, aftermath of a nuclear war?
    Yup, I think I know the spot they were standing at too, It's in Brooklyn, looking out to Manhattan.(though i remain open to correction ;))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I wish the poll was public now. Mods? Curious who gave it an E.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

robby^5 wrote: »

Great spoiler dumbass...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,916 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Great spoiler dumbass...

Did you not read the great big [***SPOILERS***] in the thread title?

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

which one of y'all **** voted B?
    I voted B. Felt that the latter 1/4 of the episode was a bit rushed for the same reason that Fysh, above, did.

- At the end....I think that was a first, right, with the single running cam shot of the whole cast? Very cool.

- I think Michael Hogan deserves some awards for this episode alone.

- Can someone remind me....was the Dying Leader (Roslin, I guess) supposed to set foot on Earth? Or merely just lead them to 'Earth' and than um, die, before setting foot on it? Cos if it's the latter ..... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭Talisman

"Children are born to replace their parents, for children to reach their full potential their parents have to die." That line from Starbuck sums up the final scene for me.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

because a large percentage of the population are idiots
    Great spoiler dumbass...

and the prize goes to....

Fysh wrote: »
    The ending felt very over-the-top at first - the ships jumping all at once without reconnaisance was politically expedient but in terms of military operations very stupid, and the celebrations were a bit premature considering they hadn't checked out the planet yet. It did serve to create a nice double-take once they actually arrived on the surface, although the similarity to the ending of Season 2 detracted from it.
    The jumping without any reconaisance was covered in the scene with Roslyn, Lee and the Admiral.
    "Frak it, this is the end of the line, we've got nowhere left to go."

As for the celebrations being premature - WTF? They finally found Earth.

The nuclear wasteland reveal was excellent - typical BSG, no such thing as a happy ending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

moar!!!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I haven't watched this yet, or even read any of this thread. I just came on to have a look at the poll results. All I can say is: HOLY SH*T!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Talisman wrote: »
    The jumping without any reconaisance was covered in the scene with Roslyn, Lee and the Admiral.
    "Frak it, this is the end of the line, we've got nowhere left to go."

Ah yes, we're at the end of the line according to a series of visions and things that we can't rationally explain. Therefore the most logical course of action is to jump everyone together into what could quite easily be a trap from the other Cylon faction, because "we've got nowhere else to go". Would it have killed them to send a smaller vessel out on a recon mission just to make sure the place was right?
    Talisman wrote: »
    As for the celebrations being premature - WTF? They finally found Earth.

Yes, and 30 seconds of screentime later they were on the surface of the planet and finding out that actually, it's not looking so good as a new home. But hey, why bother checking whether the planet's even got a survivable atmosphere or already inhabited before going mad and celebrating...

Fysh wrote: »
    Yes, and 30 seconds of screentime later they were on the surface of the planet and finding out that actually, it's not looking so good as a new home. But hey, why bother checking whether the planet's even got a survivable atmosphere or already inhabited before going mad and celebrating...
    FFS it's Battlestar Galactica, not Star Trek: The Next Generation.

It's still a bit daft that they couldn't be bothered putting in even a single line of dialogue concerning the planet's atmosphere being hospitable or anything. It's the sort of little detail that can really throw things - a military organisational structure that has just brought all that remains of humanity to what will hopefully be its new home, but they don't bother checking any details other than "well, the planet's there" in terms of whether it will be suitable. It's kind of like tuning in to check the winning Lotto numbers and then saying "Hey, I have a lotto ticket, I WON! WOO!" and then being disappointed later if it turns out that, actually, you didn't win squat.

I know it's not a big thing, but it's the sort of detail that makes the clearly fictional stuff easier to accept. Just because BSG is more of a drama-in-space than a straight sci-fi show doesn't mean they shouldn't get the sci-fi aspects right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 eob

Oh stop being such a bunch of killjoys over BSG protocol... One of the best yet for BSG. I felt like I was being force fed candyfloss with the whole emotional scene of finding earth, but, the ending was pure unadulterated BSG... The whole bleak post war landscape on earth.

What does it mean? This is not their true home?

Ihad a sneaky feeling all along, when it slipped out that it 'wasn't going to be a happy ending' in the media, that earth was going to be a rotten apple, I suspected that considering the show, and RDM in his sci-fi in general, tends to be quite political, that earth was going to be destroyed by either war or pollution, that it would have some take on the earth we live in now, some moral.

What happens next? Utter desolation amongst the fleet, Laura dies of cancer, not willing to go on, people airlock themselves, then the rest of the 'bad' cylons turn up, wipe the fleet out, and that's the end of the show. Lots of emotional scenes of the bridge finally coming crashing in and Adama dying and that sort of thing, and the whole show has some grand message about war, the economy, possibly the Lisbon treaty.

I loved it. \o/

SofaK wrote: »
    - Can someone remind me....was the Dying Leader (Roslin, I guess) supposed to set foot on Earth? Or merely just lead them to 'Earth' and than um, die, before setting foot on it? Cos if it's the latter ..... :)
    Have to bump my earlier comment as I think this is important :pac:

Read back over some old eps, and its making me think more and more that the fleet are not on Earth - or rather they have not reached the Promised Land as mentioned in the prophecies, sacred scrolls etc... (if we are to take them literally). Either there is a different planet they are supposed to end up at - New Earth if you will - or perhaps some planet-changing event will happen to the Earth they are on currently. And perhaps the Final One is waiting at that place..?

The fact that the Dying Leader has set foot on 'Earth', when they are not supposed to according to prophecy (I think), would seem to re-inforce this. RDM is trying to pull a fast one on us, methinks.

Thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Absolutly fantasic episode. This season,up to about ep 7 was dreadful, the sort of quality that wouldn't be out in place in lost season 3[couldnt resist a dig :D]. But it has been steadly improving, and the last 2 eps were spectatular. Roll on next season.

I think its a very interesting point that Roslin is not supposed to set foot on ''Earth'' according to the prophoecys. And the fact that the place they have landed on is a wasteland leads me to think its not earth. Plus, the teaser for season 4 [ http://www.sendspace.com/file/vsh7ek ] contains a great ''blink and you'll miss it'' pic at the end. Makes me think earth is somewhere else, or at least the promised land is not earth at all.

Final cylon- It doesn't seem to be anyone who was in the fleet. But I don't see Moore just picking an new character, so I'm gonna stick with my orginal bet of Zak Adama :D

PS: Hate out they put ''coming soon'' on the teaser, more like feb/march 2008, bastards!

Has anyone watched the teaser for the rest of season 4? http://www.sendspace.com/file/vsh7ek

Only about 20, seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

I don't think the prophecies counted on the dying leader getting injected with sooper dooper cylon baby blood, the breakfast of champions.

PS: Hate out they put ''coming soon'' on the teaser, more like feb/march 2008, bastards!
    I wish.

Hmmm, interesting trailer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭redbhoy1888

Loved this episode.

I also think its not Earth or at least an Earth that we know.No land mass that would be recognisable to us from space as the fleet gathered above the planet for starters,or is it an Earth devestated by nuclear conflict?

We should have known it was not going to be this easy!

God months of torture ahead waiting for the next episode....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 eob

One thing that has me thinking is that, hmmm, remember when the Six that died on Doc Cottles (sp?) operating table, her final vision being pulled through the light into some kind of forest? Could that be the real earth?

PS. Loved the scene of the various fleet of craft coming through the atmosphere to land on the planet. Very Star Wars. Also, bit of trivia this, but when Starbuck is standing in front of the Raptor, the panel behind her has (what I think) is a petrol cap from a particular motorbike I can't remember :D

Watched that trailer-
    Kentucky Fried Chicken?????

Use spoilers redbhoy1888... Not everyone wants to know.

Consider myself slapped on wrist there apologies dude

Season 4 Trailer
    You should put the KFC bit in spoiler tags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Maximilian wrote: »
    +1. best episdode since the one where Galactica dived into that new caprica planet.

I agree 100%.

Advertisement