Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Library of The Nocturnal

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I'm currently reading the God Delusion.

I'm not quite sure of the tone Dawkins takes in it but at least you can tell he is genuinely empassioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

I'm reading final-empire.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

reallyrose wrote: »
    I'm reading final-empire.jpg

I read those over the summer and really enjoyed them.
    Was a bit sceptical at first and was looking at the size of them think, you'd better be good and much to my joy they were.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I read those over the summer and really enjoyed them.
    Was a bit sceptical at first and was looking at the size of them think, you'd better be good and much to my joy they were.

Yeah, I really like the concept of metal as fuel for magical powers.
    I like my books to have magic, but sensible magic, with rules!
    If you get me.
    I have the second one lined up to read when I finish the first. :D

Yeah, I really like the concept of metal as fuel for magical powers.
    I like my books to have magic, but sensible magic, with rules!
    If you get me.
    I have the second one lined up to read when I finish the first. :D

I'd be the same when it comes to magic.

The Black Magician trilogy byTrudi Canavan?

• Advertisement

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I'd be the same when it comes to magic.

The Black Magician trilogy byTrudi Canavan?

Read them! I'm eagerly waiting for the Ambassador's Mission to come to me from Amazon. :D

Jennifer Fallon's Hythrun books?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

anyone else read the Dark Tower series? read them twice, and loved them. just about my favourite book series

Jennifer Fallon's Hythrun books?

Never heard of them, any good?
    whiteman19 wrote: »
    anyone else read the Dark Tower series? read them twice, and loved them. just about my favourite book series

Childe Roland to the dark tower came.

Yes but I haven't read the last two, they one of many series myself and my Dad used to by taking turns as presents for each other :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

I just love the DT series. i won't say anything spoilerish on the books on you, suffice to say, i've had a good few books/shows ruined on me by people just saying the ending has a great twist or something stupid like that :mad:

my brother comes up with dirty alternative names for everything, now i can't help but always think of the Dark Tower as the Dark Whore :D

• Moderators Posts: 51,719 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

picked up this today, from the creators of the Lucifier series.

51vt5AYMl8L._SS500_.jpg

seems to be getting great reviews.
    "Tom Taylor’s life was screwed from the word go. His father created the mega-popular Tommy Taylor boy-wizard fantasy novels. But dad modeled the fictional epic so closely to Tom that fans constantly compare him to his counterpart, turning him into a lame, Z-level celebrity. When a scandal hints that Tom might really be the boy-wizard made flesh, Tom comes into contact with a mysterious, deadly group that’s secretly kept tabs on him all his life. Now, to protect his life and discover the truth behind his origins, Tom will travel the world, to all the places in world history where fictions have shaped reality.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

This thread is awesome. I ignored it up until now (or maybe I posted in the early days) but now that I'm without a series to read and I'm just about free to read anything I want (just about finished my 2nd novel about scary things, so I won't allow myself to read any similar books) so yay! Gonna hit up Koth's werewolf book first, it has so many of my favourite authors in it! Hooray!

Oh my dear Nocs, can you do me a favour? Can you list some of the publishers of your favourite Noc books? Particularly those dealing with things that go bump in the night: Werewolves, vampires, witches and monsters etc.

I'm in the process of sending out manuscripts, but most of the big authors I know belong to small publishing houses who are actually owned by massive publishing houses and won't look at any unsolicitated works. I'm drawing blanks as to any genuine small independent firms and an internet search just brings up a load of vanity chancers.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

Have you considered e-publishing as a way to go Few?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

At the Mountains of Madness - H.P. Lovecraft

I've finished this book recently and figured it belonged on the shelves of the Nocturnal folk.

Be warned, this is a heavy enough read which will want you to take a few breaks to take it in the descriptive details in which Lovecraft goes into. Beautiful descriptions of every setup and infests you with fear of sorts.
    You'll feel your sitting on the mountains with the explorers, as they go adventuring and come in contact with all sorts!

Scary stuff! :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

pretty much all of Lovecraft's works deserve a place in the Libris Noctis

Have you considered e-publishing as a way to go Few?

I have considered it Wolfie, and will probably go that route if no fish bite, but I kinda want to make this my career so looking for some fishy with traditional pockets :)

I has one book that Amazon picked as one of their top e-books which was written by a blogger.
    http://www.mattresspolice.com/

I has one book that Amazon picked as one of their top e-books which was written by a blogger.
    http://www.mattresspolice.com/

Did you get it on a Kindle or something?

Fewcifur wrote: »
    Did you get it on a Kindle or something?
    Indeed I did. Also, e-publishing means more money in your pocket for every copy you sell.

Indeed I did. Also, e-publishing means more money in your pocket for every copy you sell.

That's true, but there's also the lack of marketing and such. Definitely a route I'll take if all else fails, but I wouldn't do it first because it'd sour the deal for a publisher. I'm not in on the Kindle craze so I'm not really sure how it'd work, I kinda think there's about 12 Kindles in the world owned by gadget freaks. I know this isn't the case, but I can't reeeeeally get away from it in my head :)

• Advertisement

Fewcifur wrote: »
    That's true, but there's also the lack of marketing and such. Definitely a route I'll take if all else fails, but I wouldn't do it first because it'd sour the deal for a publisher. I'm not in on the Kindle craze so I'm not really sure how it'd work, I kinda think there's about 12 Kindles in the world owned by gadget freaks. I know this isn't the case, but I can't reeeeeally get away from it in my head :)
    They were actually one of Amazon's top sellers for Christmas. Also there are other readers available. The Sony one is a rising star

Anyone read 'The House on the Borderland' by William Hope Hodgson?
    The first half is pretty class. Goes a bit crazy after that but still really enjoyed it.

Ok, how about any of M.R. James' stuff?

The Wailing Well scared the crap out of me when I read it first. Bought a collection of his ghost stories when I was younger.

Here's a link to the story should anyone wish to read it:

http://gaslight.mtroyal.ca/jamesX31.htm

That is all.

• Moderators Posts: 51,719 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Currently reading Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan. Really good read so far. It's a cyberpunk/ detective book.
    In the twenty-fifth century, humankind has spread throughout the galaxy, monitored by the watchful eye of the U.N. While divisions in race, religion, and class still exist, advances in technology have redefined life itself. Now, assuming one can afford the expensive procedure, a person’s consciousness can be stored in a cortical stack at the base of the brain and easily downloaded into a new body (or “sleeve”) making death nothing more than a minor blip on a screen.

Ex-U.N. envoy Takeshi Kovacs has been killed before, but his last death was particularly painful. Dispatched one hundred eighty light-years from home, re-sleeved into a body in Bay City (formerly San Francisco, now with a rusted, dilapidated Golden Gate Bridge), Kovacs is thrown into the dark heart of a shady, far-reaching conspiracy that is vicious even by the standards of a society that treats “existence” as something that can be bought and sold. For Kovacs, the shell that blew a hole in his chest was only the beginning. . . .

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSvzBvjxAFPxmYPCQt2yWUs-I9rmcXecMd0lYlp1fZOQHz6m2Ls <- thats the book cover btw :)

If you can read this, you're too close!

Advertisement