Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Library of The Nocturnal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

Oh stephen king, I completely forgot about him. I started reading his books when I was only eleven. Used to drive my local library crazy as they wouldn't let me borrow them on a child's card so i tried to apply for an adult's one but they wouldn't let me. Eventually my mum gave me her card. The librarian was shocked and appalled. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Oh stephen king, I completely forgot about him. I started reading his books when I was only eleven. Used to drive my local library crazy as they wouldn't let me borrow them on a child's card so i tried to apply for an adult's one but they wouldn't let me. Eventually my mum gave me her card. The librarian was shocked and appalled. :D

Your mom is hardcore!:eek: Mine wouldn't even let me go see Jurassic Park in the cinema.:pac:

Stephen King is an old favourite of mine. What was it that first introduced me to him? My cousin showing kid me IT the movie.:( But now I terrorise his niece with stories of IT so it has come full circle.:D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Your mom is hardcore!:eek: Mine wouldn't even let me go see Jurassic Park in the cinema.:pac:

LOL :) My Dad let me watch Silence of the Lambs when I was about 8 or something :P

In fact, there's another good one - Red Dragon, Silence of the Lambs, Hannibal, and Hannibal Rising. Not a fan of Hannial Rising myself, but including it for the sake of completeness!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

Stephen King is an old favourite of mine. What was it that first introduced me to him? My cousin showing kid me IT the movie.:(
    She really is. She brought me to my first protest too. :D But I digress...

The book is definitely far more terrifying than the film. I had a fear of drains for quite a while after I read it. One book of his that I was really never into was The Girl who loved Tom Gordon. I read it a few times and each time I finished it I just said "wtf?"

I find I'm not really that into his writing anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Clive Barker's books of blood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Gloom

Goosebumps! Great stories for kids.

But.

Richard Laymon. Love his stuff.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

Gloom wrote: »

But.

Richard Laymon. Love his stuff.
    That's the ticket Gloom, hook em early and they ours for life. Laymon is good but have you tried Bentley Little: The Store, The Walking, The House, The Collection(short stories), The Association.

That's the ticket Gloom, hook em early and they ours for life. Laymon is good but have you tried Bentley Little: The Store, The Walking, The House, The Collection(short stories), The Association.

Haha! Remember the TV show? used to be on Fox Kids and stuff. I still have a collection of Goosebumps. Yellow crumpled pages ftw!

I mean, who didn't crap their pants watching this?

Holy crap. You read Laymon? Which books did you read from him. He's my favourite author! :D

I also suggest, Christopher Pike. Great books especially The Last Vampire series and his books targeted at older audiences, The Cold One and The Listeners.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

The only Laymon I've read was One Rainy Night. Made me worried to go out in the rain for months afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

shellyboo wrote: »
    In fact, there's another good one - Red Dragon, Silence of the Lambs, Hannibal, and Hannibal Rising. Not a fan of Hannial Rising myself, but including it for the sake of completeness!

I haven't actually read any of the books those films were based on. Silence of the Lambs is a classic piece of cinema though, I'd be curious to see how the books compare.
    The book is definitely far more terrifying than the film. I had a fear of drains for quite a while after I read it. One book of his that I was really never into was The Girl who loved Tom Gordon. I read it a few times and each time I finished it I just said "wtf?"

I find I'm not really that into his writing anymore.

The Girl who loved Tom Gordon is a bit of a strange tale (even for King). His vagueness in regards to the plot is a sticking point.

Yeah his work hasn't been great recently, with the latter stages of The Dark Tower series being his only saving grace in the naughties.

Loved Goosebumps when I was younger. My favourite one was the story about the Coffin in the basement. Really great stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,719 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

What about Chuck Palahniuk?? Any of the books of his I've read have been very dark.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

I read through the thread, and you have no idea how glad I am that twilight wasn't mentioned once.

Woops just mentioned it :P

Also would recommend Natsuo Kirino.

Grotesque, I've yet to read but I really enjoyed Out

Teutorix wrote: »
    I read through the thread, and you have no idea how glad I am that twilight wasn't mentioned once.

Woops just mentioned it :P
    Nice one teutorix, bring up the sparkle vamps.
    koth wrote: »
    What about Chuck Palahniuk?? Any of the books of his I've read have been very dark. Also would recommend Natsuo Kirino.

Grotesque, I've yet to read but I really enjoyed Out
    How did we forget the author of Fight Club. Kirino I haven't read yet, will be putting himon the list though.

Hey now, why has no one mentioned Harry yet. I mean of course Harry Dresden, not the other one. You gotta love a series that features: werewolves, vampires, demons, faeries, spirits, mobsters, warlocks, trolls, a talking skull, and oh yeah Harry's a wizard who carries a .44 for when magic just won't cut it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Oooh books :D Some of these would be nocturnal ridden, others not so much.

Darren Shan - The Sage of Darren Shan (vampires) Soon to be a film also, which should be out in October, can.not.wait.!!

Also the Demons series by Master Shan...damn them is all a good series :D

Cliff McNish has a good trilogy about witches. I also consider him the male JK Rowling, since his books started out as bedtime stories for his children that he made up as he went along. And they don't drag, there's no big backround check on all the character, just after a page twisted stuff starts to happen :)
    Sure while I'm at it JK Rowling books are pretty decent :P

The Forbidden Game trilogy, I think they were part of the Point Horror <3 series, but they are fantastic. An RPG boardgame gone wrong :eek: but it has horror, love, darkness, shadow men...seriously nocturnal young adult books :cool:

Kelly Armstrong does some decent books about werewolves, starting with Bitten. There's another werewolf book I've floating around the house...werewolves and nazis. Scary stuff!!!

For the girly girl in you, Girls in Love by Jacqeline Wilson, full of the joys of being a teenage girl, hell I've had big burly men read them too :pac: Good brain fluff books. Throw in Miss Ahern for the girl fluff books while I'm at it.

If you can get your mits on some classics - Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Anderson's fairy tales :)

And for something truely terrifying, try Ross O'Carroll Kelly ... it's all so true :D

Now you talking Zwill. I love a good werewolf yarn. Speaking of which a decent set of novels are the Kitty books by Carrie Vaughn. An interesting take on the reluctant werewolf stereotype that is prevalent nowadays.

I haven't actually read any of the books those films were based on. Silence of the Lambs is a classic piece of cinema though, I'd be curious to see how the books compare.

I really liked them... particularly Hannibal, it's FAR superior to the film. Set mostly in Florence with some beautiful descriptions of the city. They are, in essence, crime novels for the most part... each has an investigator trying to track down a killer. But Hannibal Lector gives an extra level of darkness to it, he's so creepy and twisted!

Speaking of Goosebumps... anyone remember the Point Horror books?! They were great chilling reading when I was a teen :)

Remembered one of my all-time favourite novels - Wuthering Heights. Amazingly gothic, could lose myself in that book.

Remembered one of my all-time favourite novels - Wuthering Heights. Amazingly gothic, could lose myself in that book.
    Ah, memories of a somewhat drunk english teacher reading that after lunch-break on Fridays:D (we studied it for the leaving cert;))

Speaking of Gothic how can we forget Mr. Edgar Allen Poe, or as I call him: Mr. Thanks for the insomnia.

• Advertisement

Zwillinge wrote: »
    Oooh books :D Some of these would be nocturnal ridden, others not so much.

Darren Shan - The Sage of Darren Shan (vampires) Soon to be a film also, which should be out in October, can.not.wait.!!

Also the Demons series by Master Shan...damn them is all a good series :D

Cliff McNish has a good trilogy about witches. I also consider him the male JK Rowling, since his books started out as bedtime stories for his children that he made up as he went along. And they don't drag, there's no big backround check on all the character, just after a page twisted stuff starts to happen :)
    Sure while I'm at it JK Rowling books are pretty decent :P

The Forbidden Game trilogy, I think they were part of the Point Horror <3 series, but they are fantastic. An RPG boardgame gone wrong :eek: but it has horror, love, darkness, shadow men...seriously nocturnal young adult books :cool:

Kelly Armstrong does some decent books about werewolves, starting with Bitten. There's another werewolf book I've floating around the house...werewolves and nazis. Scary stuff!!!

For the girly girl in you, Girls in Love by Jacqeline Wilson, full of the joys of being a teenage girl, hell I've had big burly men read them too :pac: Good brain fluff books. Throw in Miss Ahern for the girl fluff books while I'm at it.

If you can get your mits on some classics - Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Anderson's fairy tales :)

And for something truely terrifying, try Ross O'Carroll Kelly ... it's all so true :D

Just reread these. Loved them.

Point Horror are amazing. I have a collection from when I was allowed raid our local library. Found a box of horror books that no one wanted. :D

Speaking of Goosebumps... anyone remember the Point Horror books?! They were great chilling reading when I was a teen :)
    Just reread these. Loved them.

Point Horror are amazing. I have a collection from when I was allowed raid our local library. Found a box of horror books that no one wanted. :D

Point Horror <3 Who couldn't love them? Though when I was sort of toning down on reading them, I realised I could tell who dunnit from the beginning. Excpet for anything by Caroline B Cooney. She was the most nutjobbish author for those books :D Really fantastic at times, but then slowly insane with others, especially Freeze Tag.

Anyone remember Point Romance? Ugh! >.<

Another great series is Garth Nix. The Sabriel, Lirael and Abhorsen collection are really imaginative. I'd be surprised if a production company didn't pick up the rights to them in the near future.

Sheesh, look at all the bookworms we has in this forum. Who woulda thunk it. Seriously though to everyone who's mentioned Terry Pratchett +1 to you all. He is awesome for a late-night read. I always read Hogfather near the holidays for some reason. Another good funny writer to try is Christopher Moore. I loved Bloodsucking Fiends and You Suck (Vampires, duh), A Dirty Job(Soul Reassignment), Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove(Sea Monster ).

Bookworms the lot of us :D

I've never read any Terry Pratchett. Where should I begin when I get around to it? :D

Bookworms the lot of us :D

I've never read any Terry Pratchett. Where should I begin when I get around to it? :D
    First one I read by him was Guards, Guards!. Basically start anywhere on the Discworld and strap yourself in for a wild ride.

First one I read by him was Guards, Guards!. Basically start anywhere on the Discworld and strap yourself in for a wild ride.

Where's Randy when you need him? :p

Am gonna go read some light hearted Irish Brendan O'Carroll now :)

You has a filthy mind Zwill. I like that in a person. Maybe I'll check out O' Caroll meself.
    *Heads for Amazon*

Tidied my bookshelf last night and rediscovered some more...

Perfume by Patrick Suskind
    The Children of Men by PD James
    His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman
    Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien (how did we get this far without a Tolkien mention?!?!)
    In Cold Blood by Truman Capote

Point Horror <3 Who couldn't love them? Though when I was sort of toning down on reading them, I realised I could tell who dunnit from the beginning. Excpet for anything by Caroline B Cooney. She was the most nutjobbish author for those books :D Really fantastic at times, but then slowly insane with others, especially Freeze Tag.

Anyone remember Point Romance? Ugh! >.<

Another great series is Garth Nix. The Sabriel, Lirael and Abhorsen collection are really imaginative. I'd be surprised if a production company didn't pick up the rights to them in the near future.

Yeah LMAO! I loved Diane Hoh too. She added creepiness to each chapter by going into the mind of the criminal. Stuff like:

"I did it. I heard them all scream and it made me smile. But I put pretended to scream with them Pretty soon I will reveal myself and they will all pay. All of them."

And you're like OSHI-!

You're making me want to go read through all of them again! :pac:

Christopher Pike's books for teens are great.

• Advertisement

Some more suggestions.

The View from the Mirror by Ian Ivine
    Amazon.co.uk Review
    Magic pathways from world to world were a curse, making possible invasion and enslavement, and long ago those paths were closed leaving three worlds and the void between them a hopeless jumble of what had been and what is now. Ian Irvine's A Shadow on the Glass, first volume of his fantasy quartet "The View from the Mirror", takes us to one of those worlds and to two adventurers, a scholar and a psychic, who find themselves dragged into the conflicts of the mighty and the ambitious. Karan is blackmailed into helping steal a magic mirror, and finds herself on the run from warlords and warlocks; all that Llian wanted to do was find a great story to tell, and clarify some minor ambiguities in the archives of the college of storytellers--but he finds himself expelled and ostracised, and accompanying Karan on her breakneck journeys on high barrens and treacherous rivers. What Irvine brings to the mix is a sense of irony and some intelligent observation of character: Llian and Karan are not your average squeaky clean hero and heroine, and their opponents are hardly villainous, just people acting out the planned treacheries that seemed like a good idea. --Roz Kaveney

Review
    'Irvine has built a history and wonderful culture for his vivid world. His first novel vibrates with originality' THE WEST AUSTRALIAN 'The complex cultures, detailed geography, and the palpable weight of history provide a solid background to an intense story that ... becomes increasingly compelling. This stands out as a worldbuilding labour of love with some truly original touches' LOCUS

I'd also recommend the Chronicles of the Raven series and the Legends of the Raven series by James Barclay. One of the better fantasy series I've read in a while.

Advertisement