Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

ixoy wrote: »
    ...If you're reading Doctor Who novels then this looks like it's going to be an unreserved recommendation.

Duly noted :-) Am currently about a third of the way through 'Romance of Crime' at the moment. Very good. Very amusing. And Romana II is always a delight.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

Right I've given in and bought Blood Song...all of ye seem to be raving about it!!
    Sickened I bought it for my brother for christmas as a hard copy...but its in a different country now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

After all the rave reviews I have also ordered blood song (its in a soft back next month, easier for me on the train) But first up after the suggestions on here I start Tigana tomorrow.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

About 5% into Blood Song and was so annoyed to have to get off the train this morning.

From the comments it looks like another recommendation-win for Boards' SF&F forum. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Just finished reading Duncan M. Hamilton's Huntsman's Amulet. It's the 2nd Book in the Society of Swords series.

It's not as good as the 1st one, but is still good enough to make me anxiously wait for the 3rd one.

Now off to Jim Butcher's Codex Alera.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Dades wrote: »
    About 5% into Blood Song and was so annoyed to have to get off the train this morning.

From the comments it looks like another recommendation-win for Boards' SF&F forum. :)

I was the same, about 20% in and it's excellent - had to force myself to put it down last night when I reached the end of a chapter, and when I got off the Luas this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Pfft I was reccommending Blood Song back in 2012. You're all so behind

*adjusts hipster glasses*

• Registered Users Posts: 17,886 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    God my to read pile is getting unwieldy.
    So is mine and worse its full of half finished series all jumbled up in my head, I used to discipline myself and not start unfinished series but my job is so boring I spend most of the day reading ebooks on my phone and I always crack when I hear that a book is good :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Lawyers in Hell - a selection of short stories. Rather funny, but my sense of humour has always been ... odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Thargor wrote: »
    So is mine and worse its full of half finished series all jumbled up in my head, I used to discipline myself and not start unfinished series but my job is so boring I spend most of the day reading ebooks on my phone and I always crack when I hear that a book is good :D

I think the likes of the kindle etc make the to read pile harder to keep in check.
    'Oh, Joe Hill's NOS4A2s only $2.99! Must get but wait I haven't finished X,Y and Z. Ah well, what's one more?'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Made a promise to myself that I would do my very best to finish one book before buying another when I bought my kindle as I knew the temptation would be to slut between several :) Only book that I broke this promise was Blue Remembered Earth....

Just finished re-reading Transitions by Ian Banks, think I enjoyed it more second time round. Over Christmas read first 3 of the Malazon series. I would echo other peoples comments that the first one is a bitch to get through but well worth persevering with!

Going to have a crack at Blood Song over the weekend following all the positive reviews here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

I would echo other peoples comments that the first one is a bitch to get through but well worth persevering with!

I know I'm unusual in this but I found the opposite. I found the first book to be very entertaining and whizzed through it in no time. The second, however, I found to be a terrific slog and very nearly didn't finish it at all. That second book is what made me give up on the series.

I knew Jim Butcher was the Author of Dresden Files, but seeing as I don't read Urban Fantasy much, I haven't touch any of his works. Well, until now.

I just finished reading Jim Butcher's Furies of Calderon. The 1st Book of the Codex Alera Series. And I must say, that it's really good.

It got that Magical One-more-Chapter hooks into me, even moreso than Blood Song. And I really like Blood Song.

It reminded me alot of 3 of my Favorite Series, Wheel of Time, Riftwar Saga and Belgariad.

So if you're a Fan of those 3 Series I've mentioned and haven't picked up Codex Alera yet, please do so. You won't regret it.

Just finished Academ's Fury, the 2nd Book of the Codex Alera Series, and Wow! It's just as good as the 1st one.

The Pacing of the Book, just never lets up.

Happily off to the 3rd one. :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

The Codex Alera Series is an excellent series and need find time to re-read. The rumour is that Butcher is due to release a steampunk trilogy some time this year.

Just finished Academ's Fury, the 2nd Book of the Codex Alera Series, and Wow! It's just as good as the 1st one.

The Pacing of the Book, just never lets up.

Happily off to the 3rd one. :D

How face are you reading these books?

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    How face are you reading these books?

I'm a Fast Reader.

I could do 1 Novel a Day, specially if it's really good. Even if it's a Size of a Robert Jordan.

I'm a Fast Reader.

I could do 1 Novel a Day, specially if it's really good. Even if it's a Size of a Robert Jordan.

Yeah I can read a Goodkind novels in one sitting, especially when they are really crap. :pac:

Ah really though, I use to do a novel in a couple of days but now I'm down to a week to ten days now. I'm glad I don't anymore as I feel some of the quality of a book us lost when it's sped read.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Ronanc1

Currently reading Wolfhound Century by Peter Higgins as recommended by Richard Morgan on his blog, bought it for 12 or 13 euro in large format before Christmas and then seen it last week in smaller mass market in a big pile for a fiver in chapters :mad:

Its a small enough book and when I started it I had initial feelings coming on that I wasn't going to like it but the more I've read the more i'm getting in to it. I'm nearly finished now and am really appreciating the style and setting its very unique and whats especially pleasant is there's still some mystery and unexplained mysticism to the fantasy/magic elements which is refreshing for a first time authors novel.

A lot of the time nowadays I find first time authors reach a point where they just info dump all the unexplained magic systems quirks in one go which can stymie future exploration this is leaving things with a nice haze and you can sense there's room, hopefully for more development and future stories set in the same world.

If anyones interested check out Richards blog post about it here bottom of the page: http://www.richardkmorgan.com/news/1062/at-long-last-by-popular-request/

(though it'll probably take backseat to everyones reading bloodsong :P I'll prob pick that up next....just to so I can say I belong ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

I'm a bit behind in my reading (80+ books waiting to be read),so only started this one last night.
    About 50 pages in and liking it so far.
    Love Abercrombies writing style /dialogue ,lot's of LOL moments for me.:D

Finished the brilliant Blood Song ................loved it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Malazan re read underway, just finished Gardens of the Moon again and still noticing more on each re read.
    The Deadhouse Gates await.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

20% into Daniel Abraham's "The Dragon's Path", the first book in his "The Dagger and Coin" quintet (three published so far).
    Really enjoying it so far. It's quite different to the Long Price series, and perhaps less poetic/deep, but Abraham's made for interesting characters still set against a world that's not yet been particularly detailed, only with some hints of its past.
    It's a good example of how a relatively standard world building can be enjoyed in the hands of a skilled writer as against "The Stormcaller" when there appeared to be an interesting world muddled by somewhat sloppy writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,886 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Manach wrote: »
    The Codex Alera Series is an excellent series and need find time to re-read. The rumour is that Butcher is due to release a steampunk trilogy some time this year.
    Thanks for this, original approach to magic and powers although a bit generic character-wise but Im hooked anyway and I had nothing else to read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I'm a bit behind in my reading (80+ books waiting to be read),so only started this one last night.
    About 50 pages in and liking it so far.
    Love Abercrombies writing style /dialogue ,lot's of LOL moments for me.:D

Finished the brilliant Blood Song ................loved it.

Finished Blood Song this morning, it was very very good indeed. Now to wait until July for the next one.

Moved onto 'The Beating of His Wings' by Paul Hoffman, the last in the Thomas Cale trilogy.

NOS4R2 by Joe Hill about 8% into it and really liking it so far. The son really is channeling father here and it's like reading vintage King in parts. The whole sinister Christmasland has be in the mind of Tim Burton's Nightmare as well.
    Got Doctor Sleep for my birthday today as well, so well segue nicely from NOS4R2 into that. Loose ties between both and to the Dark Tower series.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,171 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

About half way through The Gathering Storm and loving it. Sanderson does a great job of staying true to the narrative style of the previous books and continues the ramp up to the Final Battle really well. It's a welcome pay-off after some of the slower books in the series.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

I finished of Kim Robinson's 2312 and my early impressions weren't far from the mark. Spectacularly realised future solar system setting, pretty boring storyline. I haven't read any of his other books, but I heard the Mars ones have a bit more meat to them?
    So, on to The Wishstone and the Wonderworkers, book 6 of Hugh Cook's Chronicles of an Age of Darkness. It will of course be awesome at it is part of the best SF/F book series ever. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Valaquenta

On book 3 of Memory, Sorrow & Thorn. Enjoying it quite a bit. A nice pace to it especially after The Black Company. Finished The Macht series too. Very similar to Gemmell I found. Good straightforward heroic fantasy.

Codex Alera next possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

Just went on a bit of a splurge on Amazon. Bought Old Man's War, BZRK Reloaded, The Way of Kings and the book that you are all raving about Blood Song. Can't wait to get stuck into them.

Just finished the Theft of Swords trilogy (Michael Sullivan). Randomly picked them up from Chapters (I always pick books based on their covers/titles/taglines) and they were surprisingly enjoyable. They were a nice light trilogy with a bit of depth. before Christmas I had just gone through 11 of the Sword of Truth series and I felt like banging my head off a wall. I did enjoy them but the series dragged out too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Finished Blood Song over the weekend. I found the first half very ho-hum, repetitive and rather stuffed with of genre-cliches.

It definitely hits it's stride in the second half and moves along at a good clip. It's light on originality and to some extent lacking depth at this stage, but I will definitely be buying the second one.

Advertisement