Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 darmat123

Valaquenta wrote: »
    darmat123 wrote: »

hey, just downloaded the farseer trilogy, thanks for the help, looks good

Robin Hobb is excellent altogether, certainly until recently I found very little as good as her. Read a lot of mediocre stuff til I started Tad Williams. Though he has some detractors Raymond E Feist is again in my opinion, in that Robin Hobb group of excellent story tellers. Loads!! of books in this series too so if you want a long term project, this is where I'd say to start.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Check out the Old Mans War SF trilogy.

First two book are excellent, the third less so but worth reading anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Dades wrote: »

And fourth makes up for it (<3 Zoe)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Anyone here read the lies of lock lomora?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Most of us have probably :) Well worth it - sort of a dark fantasy version of a heist thriller. It's got some very witty dialogue as well and is quite clever in parts.
    Wasn't a fan as much of the follow up ("Red Seas Under Red Skies") but the third ("The Republic of Thieves"), recently released after a long time, was very enjoyable and the fourth ("The Thorn of Emberlain") is hopefully due later this year.

• Advertisement

hey, thanks for info, you read redshirts? its great,its a must read,my bro mailed it to me and i finished in 1 sitting, weird take on being a redshirt on an away team, funny too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭Glebee

Just started it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Anyone know when Blood Songs sequel is out? No fixed date from a quick search.

Im badly in need of something to read at the minute if anyone has anything new please, Ive read pretty much everything mentioned in this thread.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Currently in the middle of "Two Serpents Rise" by Max Gladstone. So far a fairly interesting urban fantasy - set in an Aztec influenced steampunk setting. Old Gods' priests with obsidian daggers vs Multinational corps of mage risk managers.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

ixoy wrote: »
    Most of us have probably :) Well worth it - sort of a dark fantasy version of a heist thriller. It's got some very witty dialogue as well and is quite clever in parts.
    Wasn't a fan as much of the follow up ("Red Seas Under Red Skies") but the third ("The Republic of Thieves"), recently released after a long time, was very enjoyable and the fourth ("The Thorn of Emberlain") is hopefully due later this year.

Good stuff, I got it on friday from the kindle store, I also got neil gaimens the ocean at the end of the lane, reading that first then im gonna start locke lomora :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Reading Ex Purgatory at the moment, good idea but hard work, which is saying something as I am reading it as a lighter aside in parallel with a Malazan re-read.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I finished Warday, its interesting, makes you consider some aspects of survival after a nuclear war that you wouldn't normally think of, but its really showing its age.
    Next up, decided to jump on the bandwagon, and started Blood Song.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Manach wrote: »
    Currently in the middle of "Two Serpents Rise" by Max Gladstone. So far a fairly interesting urban fantasy - set in an Aztec influenced steampunk setting. Old Gods' priests with obsidian daggers vs Multinational corps of mage risk managers.

Damn you and your intriguing suggestion that has been added to my pile. Do you not realise it's all ready a behemoth that haunts me whenever I walk into a bookstore or open up amazon kindle.

Just finished "The cSold commands" by R. Morgan, great book, anyone know when third one is due? i've seen estimates ranging from april to june. In the mood for some hard S.F, any suggestions? list of what i've read and like a page or 2 back, maybe even someones willing to send me an epub? have huge selection, will return favour.

maybe even someones willing to send me an epub? have huge selection, will return favour.
    I assume you're talking about free e-books here, right? Because asking to trade books illegally is against forum charter..

ixoy wrote: »
    I assume you're talking about free e-books here, right? Because asking to trade books illegally is against forum charter..

of course, open source

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Nody wrote: »
    And fourth makes up for it (<3 Zoe)
    Had no idea there was more! (Or forgot...) So the 4th book is good?

I have a dislike of books written in 1st person. :o
    hey, thanks for info, you read redshirts? its great,its a must read,my bro mailed it to me and i finished in 1 sitting, weird take on being a redshirt on an away team, funny too
    I think this might have to go next on my list. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Up to 5 now as I recall (not sure if the 5th is released or not); Zoe is the third book but told from the perspective of Zoe and she's one kick ass witty young lady who I enjoy greatly reading about. Really nails down the whole teenage attitude in a great and funny way; can't recommend it enough vs. the third book (think I've read it four times now) and not in the "oh I'm a shiny angsty vampire" kind of teenager way but rather witty and sarcastic (and takes boys down to earth like no tomorrow!).

I found Redshirts a bit odd; the book sort of finishes 2/3rds in but still continues on for another 100 pages (and the ending is quite well done). I found it weaker then his old mans war series personally but still worth reading (esp. if you're a wannabe author/screen writer).

41% into "City of Dragons" by Robin Hobb, the 3rd book in her Rainwild Chronicles series. Enjoying it so far - pretty straight forward but her strong characterisation is what makes it interesting.

i highly recommend,redshirts best sf book ive read since hydrogen sonata, though have been reading alot of fantasy i didnt know he had written before, just got old mans war, reading now, good so far, he has good writing style, flows well, thanks for the help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Finished off Dan Simmons the Endymion omnibus after finishing off the Hyperion books over christmas. Amazingly inventive although I got a bit tired of the catholicism after a while, time travel is a bitch for following a plot !

growler wrote: »
    Finished off Dan Simmons the Endymion omnibus after finishing off the Hyperion books over christmas. Amazingly inventive although I got a bit tired of the catholicism after a while, time travel is a bitch for following a plot !
    Read his Hyperion stuff afterwards, its amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Into the final straight: A Memory of Light.

Sleepy wrote: »
    Into the final straight: A Memory of Light.
    Congratulations; sadly the book will leave you more with a "Well it's finally over" rather then a "OMFGWTFBBQ that was so epic and grandscale while perfectly executed that I'll give up reading for a year to contemplate it" kind of feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I suspect as much tbh. Though, on the whole, I've enjoyed my read of it. There's both enough nice touches in it to justify it's popularity and enough faults to justify it's detractors.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Reading the follow up to Perdido Street Station - The Scar by China Mieville. Took me some time to get into it, similarly to Perdido, but it's also very good once you do, like Perdido!

Started lock lomora tuesday and finding it a bit of a slog to get through if im honest :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Notus

Started lock lomora tuesday and finding it a bit of a slog to get through if im honest :(

I was the same until well over half way, it's worth it in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Just read The Hunger Games. I was pleasantly surprised, it was less "YA" than I feared. Also, having watch the 2 movies, I'm surprised at just how true to the book they managed to stay.

• Advertisement

Trojan wrote: »
    Just read The Hunger Games. I was pleasantly surprised, it was less "YA" than I feared. Also, having watch the 2 movies, I'm surprised at just how true to the book they managed to stay.
    I thought it was cringeworthy to be honest, such lazy amateur writing and boring characters, total grind to get through. I just kept picturing how good it could have been if a decent author had done it.

Advertisement