Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

Have been reading more Horror than Sci-fi/Fantasy this year, but always tuck into a Discworld novel as soon as it appears. The last couple(Snuff and Unseen Academicals) left me a little disenchanted but have started Raising Steam and it's not bad so far. Lots of the old favourite characters turning up for bit parts, which is great and very good to see, I'm not sure how I feel about the Disc entering the Industrial revolution though. I could handle The Clacks for some reason, but this... I don't know. I miss the old days when all you had to worry about was if DEATH would turn up or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Finished the Hyperion Omnibus, really enjoyed it after a slowish start, very inventive. Ordered two more Dan Simmons books now. Also finished Sanderson's Steelheart, which I thought was pretty mundane, predictable nonsense tbh. Think I'll stay clear of Sanderson for a while, by the time I next look at him he'll probably have written 40 new books anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Finished Diaspora by Greg Egan, its a bit heavy for bed time reading, so I never really got into it.
    Now reading Reaper's Gale.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Recently started "Ancillary Justice" by Ann Leckie, which has slotted in a number of "Best of 2013" lists. Too early to say yet but I like the central premise of a warship in the body of a human.

Also reading "Second Shift", the 2nd book in Hugh Howey's "Shift" prequel series. Enjoying this one a lot more than "First Shift" as it's back to the silos and we get to see earlier events hinted at, or implied, in the original series.

Finally, nearly finished "Just a Geek", Wil Wheaton's musings and postings taken from his website. He's very candid about his life and the honesty is quite refreshing. Seems like a nice guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,908 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Just finished the Broken Empire trilogy, on holidays and devoured them in a week, brilliant fantasy.

• Advertisement

12% into Tom Lloyd's "The Stormcaller", the first book in his five part "Twilight Reign" series. It's .. okay so far. Characterisation is a little flat and I find the writing style a little awkward. Fairly early days so far so I'm going to keep on going but, as it stands, it won't be becoming a "must read" series.

Also started the "Wild Cards (Volume 1)" short story collection. Written by George R. R. Martin, and a number of other authors, it gathers together stories from his Wild Cards universe. I've read some of these in his "Dream Songs" anthology so I'm fairly hopeful.

On a fairly unrelated sci-fi/fantasy note, I'm also reading: "The Etymologicon: A Circular Stroll through the Hidden Connections of the English Language" by Mark Forsyth. It's about how words and phrases evolve in languages and it's interesting reading, especially if you were ever thinking of writing a fantasy novel that involved languages that had grown and changed over the ages.

ixoy wrote: »
    12% into Tom Lloyd's "The Stormcaller", the first book in his five part "Twilight Reign" series. It's .. okay so far. Characterisation is a little flat and I find the writing style a little awkward. Fairly early days so far so I'm going to keep on going but, as it stands, it won't be becoming a "must read" series.

Also started the "Wild Cards (Volume 1)" short story collection. Written by George R. R. Martin, and a number of other authors, it gathers together stories from his Wild Cards universe. I've read some of these in his "Dream Songs" anthology so I'm fairly hopeful.

On a fairly unrelated sci-fi/fantasy note, I'm also reading: "The Etymologicon: A Circular Stroll through the Hidden Connections of the English Language" by Mark Forsyth. It's about how words and phrases evolve in languages and it's interesting reading, especially if you were ever thinking of writing a fantasy novel that involved languages that had grown and changed over the ages.

Wild Cards are great. I've #7 Dead Man's Hand to read next. Really look forward to these books. The characters are fantastic. I miss them when I finish each book.

I'm currently reading a Doctor Who novel, Tomb of Valdemar. Pretty good so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Picked up a few of the Malayan books. Finished Gardens of the Moon and really liked it. Only just finished Deadhouse gates. Really struggled through it. Hopefully Memories of Ice is a bit easier. Picked up the Similarion recently so I'm currently re-reading LOTR before starting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Finished Dust by Hugh Howey. Took me a while to get into it because I hadn't a clue what was going on, It.s not really a standalone book, I felt like that friend you're watching the movie with, who spends all the time asking questions about what's going on in the movie.
    a good enough read, but not sufficiently taken with it to bother with anything else in the series.
    Finally started game of thrones. A hundred pages in and I'm . .beginning to lose track of all the characters. I hate flipping back to see who such and such is and it's only going to get worse.

Have also reada book called fiend by Peter Stenson. Main characters zombies and meth addicts. Well, no joke, a great read, well written, interesting addicts, zombies are zombies. Try it for something different!

gufnork wrote: »
    I'm currently reading a Doctor Who novel, Tomb of Valdemar. Pretty good so far.
    *Finally* finished updating my Good Reads list with various books on shelves, etc. and realise that this is on my "Unread" list. I've a stack of 46 unread Doctor Who books (including some of the spin off ones, like the Faction Paradox series). Still though, it's not too bad given I've a total of 352 books I've tagged with Doctor Who meaning I've read over 300 of them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

About 50 pages in ,and loving it so far. If this lives up to even half the hype it will be an epic read. Time will tell.............
    Blood Song is unique . . . The next Epic Fantasy book everybody should read
    A mix of The Name of the Windand The Left Hand of God . . . I cannot recommend this book enough (BESTFANTASYBOOKS.COM)
    A top contender for most impressive debut of the year . . . Blood Song is a powerful epic that, while ending with a sense of closure, hints at more to come (SFFWORLD)

Review link: http://singmuses.wordpress.com/2014/01/01/blood-song-by-anthony-ryan/

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Knawted

I just finished a book called The Husbands Secret and it was IMPOSSIBLE to put down.
    Fantastic story... If anybody doesn't want to know basics don't read on..

The very first chapter of the book deals with a woman whose husband is away on a business trip. While looking for something in the attic she knocks over an old shoe-box filled with files/papers and comes across an envelope that reads:

"For my wife, in the event of my death"

The story takes off from there, highly recommended!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Just started a re read of Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan, I am wondering why I left it so long

Reading Blue Remembered Earth by Alystair Reynolds which I had saved all year for a few days off I had at New Years... and its a steaming pile of dung, it just limps along, the difference between this and his Revelation Space stuff which everyone should read is huge, think Ill just throw it back on the pile and read Blood Song based on that review up there, then again the second of the trilogy wont be released until Summer this year then God knows when the third will be out so might skip that for now aswell.

This spoilerific review is exactly my feelings about it:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R28AK963T4KRSK/ref=cm_cr_dp_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=0575088273&channel=detail-glance&nodeID=266239&store=books#wasThisHelpful

He really dropped the ball here, feels like a completely different author, Im giving up on it and will read Blood Song instead, its a good standalone novel apparently, thanks for the rec, never heard of it before.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

fenris wrote: »
    Just started a re read of Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan, I am wondering why I left it so long
    The strongest in the series but also look at his stand alone books as well and enjoy :)

*Finally* finished updating my Good Reads list with various books on shelves, etc. and realise that this is on my "Unread" list. I've a stack of 46 unread Doctor Who books (including some of the spin off ones, like the Faction Paradox series). Still though, it's not too bad given I've a total of 352 books I've tagged with Doctor Who meaning I've read over 300 of them!

I've a long way to go then. I've a vague idea at the back of my mind that I might start a blog and review all the doctor who novels I read, and maybe the tv episodes too. I've been watching old episodes online which sparked my interest in trying a few of the books. Pretty much limited myself to Tom Baker so far but I'm looking forward to working my way through all the classic doctors both in tv and novel form.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

I was very disappointed in Blue earth remembered, not much happening in excruciating detail.
    It is like when someone goes to Africa for a week sees and elephant and then spends the rest of their life telling everybody repeatedly how great it was.
    I just expected more. got a prezzie of the second book and read it because it was there, it was a really slog, I just wanted them all to die so the book would be over.

Am continuing with Doctor Who for the moment. Just finished 'The Ribos Operation' and am about to start 'Last Man Running' which features Leela. I just glanced at the first paragraph to find Leela stabbing the TARDIS' console in an attempt to get at the insect she assumes is inside. Priceless!

gufnork wrote: »
    Am continuing with Doctor Who for the moment. Just finished 'The Ribos Operation' and am about to start 'Last Man Running' which features Leela. I just glanced at the first paragraph to find Leela stabbing the TARDIS' console in an attempt to get at the insect she assumes is inside. Priceless!
    If you're reading the 4th Doctor, I'd recommend the novels by Gareth Roberts. He captures the Doctor / Romana / K-9 brilliantly.

• Advertisement

If you're reading the 4th Doctor, I'd recommend the novels by Gareth Roberts. He captures the Doctor / Romana / K-9 brilliantly.

I shall make sure I pick up a few of his then. Thanks. Especially since Romana is one of my favourite companions, in both her incarnations, although Romana II Will always remain my favourite of the two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

About 50 pages in ,and loving it so far. If this lives up to even half the hype it will be an epic read. Time will tell.............

Review link: http://singmuses.wordpress.com/2014/01/01/blood-song-by-anthony-ryan/
    Well i got Blood Song in a sample from Kindle and liked it so i bought the book yesterday. Stayed up till 3 reading it. That hasnt happened since The Lies of Locke Lamora. Brilliant book so far.

Btw, im blaming you for my sleep deprivation:mad::p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,545 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

5live wrote: »
    Well i got Blood Song in a sample from Kindle and liked it so i bought the book yesterday. Stayed up till 3 reading it. That hasnt happened since The Lies of Locke Lamora. Brilliant book so far.

Btw, im blaming you for my sleep deprivation:mad::p

I got it when it was 99 cent (does that make me a fantasy hipster?) and read the first few chapters and was not impressed. It just seemed like I seen it all before, it was all a bit generic.
    Does it begin to pick up after the first 100 pages or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I got it when it was 99 cent (does that make me a fantasy hipster?) and read the first few chapters and was not impressed. It just seemed like I seen it all before, it was all a bit generic.
    Does it begin to pick up after the first 100 pages or so?

5live's reading it, and so am I.

So as a fellow Liverpool Supporter, you have to read it too, Brother. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Nearly finished Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson - was given the trilogy as a present and I knew nothing about it. Really enjoying it - not the kind of story I thought it was going to be at all and was pleasantly surprised.

Nate

Loved the Mars Trilogy, read them about 15 years ago and still clear in my memory, I remember I just pulled them off the shelves in Charlie Byrnes in Galway at random when I was a kid because I liked the colours when my aunt told me to hurry up and pick some books and they turned out to be my favourite sci-fi series after the Culture and the Nights Dawn trilogy.

Loving Blood Song aswell, reading it until 4 this morning with the rain hammering the windows, it does remind me of the Name of the Wind stuff, cant put it down.

Speaking of the Peter Hamilton.... I think I'm the only person I know who thinks the Commonwealth Saga was far superior to Night's Dawn. Haven't gotten to his Void Books yet, I have them, just haven't read them.

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 16,411 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I think I'm the only person I know who thinks the Commonwealth Saga was far superior to Night's Dawn.

Seriously? I much prefer Commonwealth to Night's Dawn, and I think a lot of folks do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,545 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

5live's reading it, and so am I.

So as a fellow Liverpool Supporter, you have to read it too, Brother. :P

Seeing as it's FA cup weekend and it's only a tin cup, I'll start. :pac:

• Advertisement

Trojan wrote: »
    Seriously? I much prefer Commonwealth to Night's Dawn, and I think a lot of folks do.

Maybe it's just my impression I suppose, it's just that I notice in general threads/discussions that it is the Night's Dawn trilogy that tends to get mentioned, over the Commonwealth stuff.

Nate

Advertisement