Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭AllthingsCP

About 100 pages into Simon Scarrow's Under the Eagle Series: Blood Crows i believe it the 12th book in the series.

So far i am enjoying it hugely, I find the Character's are well done and you connect to them. I enjoy the story to, I have been a fan since the first book.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Knife of Dreams - it's really not looking like I'll manage to finish the WOT before the end of the year...

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

Nearly finished The Lies of locke lamora really liked it so far, however from reading the boards the next two have disappointed alot of people on here. So I have three in mind Tigana, the prince of thorns or the prince of nothing series. As Ive said I have enjoyed the first gentleman bastards series ( so will want to finish the series at some point). Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Nearly finished The Lies of locke lamora really liked it so far, however from reading the boards the next two have disappointed alot of people on here. So I have three in mind Tigana, the prince of thorns or the prince of nothing series. As Ive said I have enjoyed the first gentleman bastards series ( so will want to finish the series at some point). Any thoughts?

Prince of nothing, no question! I haven't enjoyed a series as much....ever!
    Prince of thornes, I read the first book, the usual tripe pretty much in the mould of "The Name of the Wind" but even more badly written.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Prince of Thorns is ok, the series improves (it would have to!) with King of Thorns.

I havent read the Prince of Nothing.

I vote Tigana, or should i say Tiiiigggaaaaannnnnaaaaaaaaaaa. I really enjoyed that book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Id say read Red Skies over Red Seas, it gets slated a lot but it's as good as the first for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I didn't enjoy the Prince of Nothing series, but I will have to revisit it someday.

I vote for Tigana.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Read them all so:

"Prince of Thorns": Thought it was muck and no interest in continuing on with so many other series out there.

"Tigana": Excellent book. Advantage here is that it's just the one book so there's no commitment. It's very character focused and avoids the usual clichés by having them so well rounded and with interesting moral dilemnas. It's not high on convoluted plots or the like but it's well written.

"Prince of Nothing": Very good but be warned it's also very dark. It's a commitment too - a trilogy followed by a (still being written) quartet. It's heavy on the philosophy too but, unlike other series, it's actually done well without the usual triteness (he has a background in it). If you want to also see Machiavellian manipulation then this is a good series. Just be warned it's not an easy read.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

For those of you who like Tigana, I recommend you read The Chalion Series by Bujold.

Thanks for the recommendations. As pointed out I will just read them all, just have to decide which order ( I like having a few different series on the go at same time)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Finished Best Served Cold, it was ok, but nothing special, I don't think I'd be bothered to read any follow ups if there were any.

Started Diaspora by Greg Egan, not exactly easy reading.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

25% into KS Robinson's 2312. Suffering a bit from hard-SF syndrome, i.e. story isn't much cop. Hoping it picks up a bit TBH, I keep reading how amazing it is.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

I wouldn't be as an experienced Sci-Fi/Fantasy reader as many others here, having only got into the genre (or any for that matter) this past few years, but I must say I really enjoyed Prince of Thorns, and the following King and Emperor!

Each to their own I guess. Currently reading The Painted Man, by Peter V Brett. Finding it enjoyable also!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Fenix wrote: »
    Each to their own I guess. Currently reading The Painted Man, by Peter V Brett. Finding it enjoyable also!
    It's good but it got some serious flaws as well (
    i.e. the rape scene towards the end
    ).

Tore through "The Princess and the Queen" novella George RR Martin included in the Dangerous Women anthology he edits with Gardner Dozois the night before last. It's a bit of an infodump on The Dance of the Dragons that the 5th novel was named for, set about 150 years prior to the events of the ASOIAF series so it even precedes the Dunk and Egg tales.

It's written as a Maester's history of the events and the editing really is quite sketchy (or it certainly was on my Kindle copy), a couple of really poor sentences and a noticeable amount of typos etc. It's clearly been cut down from a much larger piece (and on some articles I've read, apparently it was twice as long prior to being edited, tbh, it would have taken up half the anthology at that length but something tells me it would have been the better for it).

Some cool dragon sequences which ASOIAF
    fore-shadow a lot of what I think we'll be seeing in the later books of the main series

Back to The Wheel tonight... I guess it says a lot of my opinion of both that whilst I'm enjoying TWOT, I wish I was back to the worlds of Westeros and Esteros tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭shaneor

Sleepy wrote: »
    Tore through "The Princess and the Queen" novella George RR Martin included in the Dangerous Women anthology he edits with Gardner Dozois the night before last. It's a bit of an infodump on The Dance of the Dragons that the 5th novel was named for, set about 150 years prior to the events of the ASOIAF series so it even precedes the Dunk and Egg tales.

It's written as a Maester's history of the events and the editing really is quite sketchy (or it certainly was on my Kindle copy), a couple of really poor sentences and a noticeable amount of typos etc. It's clearly been cut down from a much larger piece (and on some articles I've read, apparently it was twice as long prior to being edited, tbh, it would have taken up half the anthology at that length but something tells me it would have been the better for it).

Some cool dragon sequences which ASOIAF
    fore-shadow a lot of what I think we'll be seeing in the later books of the main series

Back to The Wheel tonight... I guess it says a lot of my opinion of both that whilst I'm enjoying TWOT, I wish I was back to the worlds of Westeros and Esteros tonight!

Hows the rest of the anthology? The list of authors is pretty incredible so that plus a new ASOIAF story means I'll definitely pick it up at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭shaneor

A bit of a mix recently

Boneshaker by Cherie Priest - A few interesting spots but steampunk isn't my usual thing and it didn't convince me otherwise. Probably won't continue the series.

Ancillary Justice by Anne Leckie - This was very interesting. Some very unusual aspects (all characters are referred to as "she", AI characters etc) which meant it wasn't a particularly easy read in places. But some great ideas and good execution. Sets up the world nicely for future sequels which I'll probably pick up. Great to see a new author get some very positive press and I'd expect this to be mentioned in a good few award shortlists.

Control Point by Myke Cole - About 90% through this at the moment. A different take with "machine guns and sorcery" instead of "sword and sorcery". Not outstanding but an easy read and entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭donegal_man

"Space Captain Smith" by Toby Frost. Isambard Smith of the Second British Space Empire and his companions (a sex toy android who has broken her programming and a seven feet tall alien warrior) battle cannibal ant men bent on destroying the human race.
    Sort of Boy's Own steampunk via Monty Python and Alien. Picked it up in a second hand book shop and although it's not the most sophisticated comic novel ever I have to admit I found myself chuckling through it on the train. I doubt if I'll bother with the rest of the series though.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

34% into "The Sea Watch" by Adrian Tchaikovsky, the sixth book in his Shadows of the Apt series. Finding this one to be a little slower as it's more focused on some political machinations but I've a feeling the pace is about to pick up. Fairly separate from the previous book which - so far - I preferred.

shaneor wrote: »
    Hows the rest of the anthology? The list of authors is pretty incredible so that plus a new ASOIAF story means I'll definitely pick it up at some stage.
    I just skipped to the GRRM story, will read the rest after I've finished AWOT...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

I read Brandon Sanderson's new reckoners novella. It was ok but really short so didnt really get pulled into as I normally would with his books.
    I then read Neil Gaiman's Ocean at the end of the lane. I did enjoy it but just think it was missing some of the spark I expect from his books.

Currently reading book 1 of GRRM dreamsongs anthology...not really enjoying it at all if im honest...I only bought it because i was delayed for 4 hours yesterday in an airport...don't see how the attraction of reading someones stories they wrote before they were good enough to get properly published

Then again maybe all the books were good and im just being a grump :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

just finished river of stars by Guy Gavriel Kay. Really is such a simple uncomplicated book, but a real joy to read.

Really enjoyed both his books in fictional lands loosely based on middle age China

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I'm reading A Storm of Swords Part 2. I've just been to
    the wedding bash
    :eek::eek:

old hippy wrote: »
    I'm reading A Storm of Swords Part 2. I've just been to
    the wedding bash
    :eek::eek:

Loved that book and series, the good news I personally thought each book got better.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Loved that book and series, the good news I personally thought each book got better.

Even the last one!?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭RoboAmish

Finished The Republic of Thieves. Liked it a lot but still probably the weakest in the series.
    Really don't know how I feel about Locke's origin. Seems to smack a bit too much of the "chosen one" tripe that fantasy books insist on wheeling out all the time. I liked Locke being just this normal guy who became who he is by his own devices and ingenuity.... seems to take a bit from his "everyman" image... the idea of being a reincarnated mage and sort of tying him into the Bondsmagi rings a bit false to me. Kinda hope it's all some kind of diversion from Patience, but have a feeling it's all too real.

Also, read a theory that the reason that Sabetha ran at the end was because the painting suggested that she is Locke's daughter... due to her resembelance to Lamor Acanthus's wife. All I can say to that theory is.... ugh!

Back to the Wheel with me now.

Raoul Duke wrote: »
    Even the last one!?
    Yeah I had read alot of negative stuff about it so went in expecting to be disappointed, but it would probably be my favourite so far if not definitely on par with storm of swords and A clash of Kings. For me the only disappointing thing about the series is the length between releases of books but as he said himself this is his masterpiece and it can't be rushed. So I'm happy to wait and take suggestions from here on what to read to tie me over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Just re-reading the second F&I book, keep slowing down as im getting near the end and the stupid wedding

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Sanderson's Steelheart, about 35% into it, it's different and i'm liking it so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 culchie farmer

Pandoras Star by Peter F Hamilton
    And Space Viking by Piper H Beam

I am also re-reading Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S Thompson, I guess you could technically classify it under the Fantasy Fiction category!

Advertisement