Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Finished Republic of Thieves.

Liked it. Just hope we don't have to wait as long for the next instalment.

Finally reading something by Guy Gavriel Kay, started Tigana.
    Great book. I liked it so much i turned around and started it again.

The Lions of Al-Rassan is another good read. Its based on Andalucia in Spain with Arabs, Christians and Jews relationships with each other, iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Finished Republic of Thieves.

Liked it. Just hope we don't have to wait as long for the next instalment.

Finally reading something by Guy Gavriel Kay, started Tigana.

absolutely love Gavriel Kay. currently reading his latest: River of stars, also set in middle age china like his previous one. really enjoying it.

For me all his are worth reading except for: a song for Arbonne, the last light of the sun and Ysabel, so keep those for last :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Enjoying it so far, he definitely has a very verbose writing style but his turn of phrase is very elegant so I like it so far.

Have always meant to read his Japanese one (Under Heaven or something like that) but I bought Tigana on sale ages ago so it's about time I read it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

I'm on book 5, The Wicked And The Witless, of a complete reread of the greatest fantasy series ever :-), Hugh Cook's Chronicles Of An Age Of Darkness. As brilliant as I remember from 20 years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Reading Magicians end ,and so far liking it big time.:)
    About 60% read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,915 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I read it to get it over with and Im struggling to remember it even now, I craved those books like crack when I was growing up but they got very tedious towards the end, he could have cut loads of them and it wouldnt have made any difference.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Finally finished all the "Wool" series. Very original and enjoyable - though I'd say a good 20% could have been left out to up the pace a bit.

Also, after being stuck in that depressing silo for months I've had to pick up the latest Clive Cussler to get some sea air. :P
    (<3 Clive Cussler)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Dades wrote: »
    Finally finished all the "Wool" series. Very original and enjoyable - though I'd say a good 20% could have been left out to up the pace a bit.

Also, after being stuck in that depressing silo for months I've had to pick up the latest Clive Cussler to get some sea air. :P
    (<3 Clive Cussler)
    I just started Wool last night so good to see someone enjoying it. Some reviews weren't all that positive.

5live wrote: »
    I just started Wool last night so good to see someone enjoying it. Some reviews weren't all that positive.
    I've quit more books than I'd like to have this year but I was happy to go through all of these. You'll know after a few books if you're hooked.

(ps I just made a small edit to my post and your quote of it as there was what might be construed as a spoiler in there!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Finished Divergent, pure and utter muck.
    Started The Heroes by Joe Ambercrombie, I haven't read "Best Served Cold" I don't think, should I read that first?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

mcgovern wrote: »
    Started The Heroes by Joe Ambercrombie, I haven't read "Best Served Cold" I don't think, should I read that first?

You don't need to as they are kind of standalones but I think you'd be missing out on a heap of references in the text.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

mcgovern wrote: »

I would read 'Best Served Cold' first.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

I got given an advanced readers copy of The Other Whisper It's a debut novel, deals with some interesting concepts really enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Valaquenta

Finally finished The Black Company. Tough enough aul slog in parts. Finished up reasonably well though and glad I saw it through as it's a fairly important series in fantasy terms I reckon. Can definitely see how Erikson was a big influence but by that token it's given more credence to my previous vow not to continue with the Malazan series. Too much work with not enough return. Reading the new Jack Reacher just to break things up before starting The Macht series by Paul Kearney. Apparently comparable to Gemmell so should be more fast-paced and action packed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,412 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Valaquenta wrote: »
    Finally finished The Black Company. Tough enough aul slog in parts. Finished up reasonably well though and glad I saw it through as it's a fairly important series in fantasy terms I reckon. Can definitely see how Erikson was a big influence but by that token it's given more credence to my previous vow not to continue with the Malazan series. Too much work with not enough return. Reading the new Jack Reacher just to break things up before starting The Macht series by Paul Kearney. Apparently comparable to Gemmell so should be more fast-paced and action packed.

I feel the same way about Malazan and The Black Company, though I did enjoy the latter enough to read 3-4 of them.

What's Reacher like?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Valaquenta

Trojan wrote: »
    I feel the same way about Malazan and The Black Company, though I did enjoy the latter enough to read 3-4 of them.

What's Reacher like?

The last couple are all written as if it's one long adventure. Each book begins where the previous book ends. If I'm honest it's standard fare. He batters people and pulls hot women. Typically well written with very film-esque detail but nothing really new. Of course, it's the Murder She Wrote piecing together of clues at the end that will decide how good it is overall. Just what the doctor ordered after The Black Company in fairness!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Reading "Dark Eden" by Chris Beckett. It's a sci-fi novel without much of the sci-fi trappings featuring a colony on the world who live primitively but await the return of their forebear who crashed on the planet. It's interesting to see how the stories of earth have been mangled over time and I'm wondering how much they'll come to realise the truth of the world they're inhabiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

ixoy wrote: »
    Reading "Dark Eden" by Chris Beckett. It's a sci-fi novel without much of the sci-fi trappings featuring a colony on the world who live primitively but await the return of their forebear who crashed on the planet. It's interesting to see how the stories of earth have been mangled over time and I'm wondering how much they'll come to realise the truth of the world they're inhabiting.

Found that to be a good book and Beckett in general. His short story collection is worth a read as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Finished Republic of Thieves last night, which I had to force myself to do, didn't rate it at all. On to Old Mans War now thanks to it getting a few mentions here lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

growler wrote: »
    Finished Republic of Thieves last night, which I had to force myself to do, didn't rate it at all. On to Old Mans War now thanks to it getting a few mentions here lately.

After reading all the rave reviews for Rep. of Thieves I figured it time to read "Red Sea Under Red Skies" which really was a case of quantity over quality. I skimmed vast chunks of it and the ending was totally underwhelming. Not going to bother my barny reading Rep of Thieves, I fear it will just be more of the same glib dialogue, obvious plotline and frankly crappy characters...

Made a start on Neal Ashers Jupiter War and I am about 15% in. Enjoying it although I have to say I was underwhelmed by the first two of the trilogy, although I probably set grossly high standards for any Asher novel as I enjoyed so many of them so much :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Finished Tigana. Quite enjoyed it, will most definitely read some more of his work at some time.

Decided to do a Malazan reread now.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Finished Tigana. Quite enjoyed it, will most definitely read some more of his work at some time.
    And I've started "The Lions of Al-Rassan", also by Mr Kay. 9% in and liking it despite the fact that there's pretty much no fantastical element other than an alternate take on Spain. Kay's writing style really ropes me in and he seems to have a gift for rounded, sympathetic characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

I really enjoyed Old Man's war, purely by chance I ended up reading it around the time of my wife's anniversary and it was so uncannily like having my mind, emotions and thought processes read that I nearly put it down, but I didn't and was glad that I kept going, I ended up reading the whole series back to back and really enjoyed them.

Sometimes you just hit the right book at the right time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

ixoy wrote: »
    And I've started "The Lions of Al-Rassan", also by Mr Kay. 9% in and liking it despite the fact that there's pretty much no fantastical element other than an alternate take on Spain. Kay's writing style really ropes me in and he seems to have a gift for rounded, sympathetic characters.

You should read A Song Arbornne, next. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Old Man's War was quite an enjoyable, if quick, read. Hard not to think of Starship Troopers when reading it, but despite the fast pace, it was a decent read. Must try a few of the series now, but first I have a monstrous Hyperion omnibus edition to tackle. I nearly put it back on the shelf after 50 pages but now that I'm two stories into the Canterbury-tales-in-future-space I can see some potential here.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Watch Ryder

Reading this:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

who the hell is tylar danaan and why the hell would you make a video promo of a book (complete with 'excerpts')?

Just started Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle.

Needed some old Sci-Fi after the latest Clive Cussler!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭ChrisM

I just can't move away from old scifi. I am working my way through SF Masterworks from Gollancz. I haven't gone wrong yet :-)

I am halfway through The Doomsday Book by Connie Willis. It is a great story, well written with very likeable characters. I have Gateway, Flowers for Algernon, The Fifth Head of Cerebrus and Earth Abides sitting on my bookshelf.

I am also reading Hyperion by Dan Simmons. I like to have variety when I am reading books in parallel. This is a multi timeline story. It is packed full of action. I am about 2/5 through and so far it is 10/10.

I just started Salems Lot. I saw the show as a kid, but forgot almost 100% of it. So far the book is great, classic Stephen King...meaning I expect the story to be excellent but the end to be rubbish :-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Currently about 1/3rd through John Scalzi's Red Shirt. Easy read and the story swings into play very quickly; will be curious to see where it ends up.

Advertisement