Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

just reading Quantum Thief, about a third of it read. Still don't know if I really like it, or I just keep reading as i haven't really read anything like it before.
    Trying to take a break from straight up fantasy before all the big ones come out later this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭shaneor

I'm trying The Hammer by KJ Parker now but I'm not that drawn in by it either. I seem to be having trouble finding a new author that can stand up with my favs.

I've only read a few of his books but wasn't gone on The Hammer. I much preferred the Folding Knife and I'd definitely recommend it.

Sharps by KJ Parker seems to be getting very good reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

shaneor wrote: »
    I've only read a few of his books but wasn't gone on The Hammer. I much preferred the Folding Knife and I'd definitely recommend it.

Thanks. Only bought it cos it was 2.99 on a Kindle deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭PADRAGON

Just started Wizard & Glass which i think is about halfway to the tower.The series isnt as good so far as i expected but i keep reading them so there must be something.Finally got my hands on The Demolished Man loved it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

Just started the 3rd one in the Dark Tower series, The Waste Lands by Stephen King, and also Elric of Melnibone by Michael Moorcock which I've always intended to read but for some reason never got round to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,704 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Tried "Her Majesty's Wizard" by Christopher Stasheff after reading some great reviews on Amazon but have given up on it. It starts off a bit like the "Spellsinger" or "Landover" series, young man finds himself in alternate universe where magic is real, accidentally summons dragon, rescues princess and sets out on quest. Then it turns into a medieval morality play full of heavy handed Christianity and the even a trip to hell at which point I gave up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

i just finished it myself. Didn't get on with it. Couldn't sympathise with any characters and I just felt like it was a chore to read through it.

yeah i kinda see what you mean about the characters i'm at about 50% and my initial opinions on the characters are very different from now. Will stick with it, i felt the long price started the same.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

shaneor wrote: »
    Finished a few things recently.

Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey was very good. Well paced and an interesting universe. I must pick up the sequel at some stage.
    That's next on my list - looking forward to it!

Havent had the time to commit to it recently (moved house) but about 2/3rds through Hyperion - which I'm absolutely loving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Sharps by KJ Parker seems to be getting very good reviews.

Been wondering when his/her next book would be out, now to rush out and buy it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Now reading "Queen of Trades" the sixth, and final, book in Charles Stross's Merchant Princes series. Around 25% in and I'm enjoying it - pace has picked up after a slow fifth instalment. Curious to see how we wraps up this tale of parallel-dimension hopping narco terrorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Just finished "Railsea" by China Mieville, I thought it was pretty weak and just couldnt get into it, liked it even less than "Kraken". Just started "Old Mans War" by John Scalzi. Looks like it will be right up my street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Quarantine by Greg Egan. Really liking it so far!

Finished "Old Mans War" by John Scalzi, really enjoyed it, reminded me a bit of Starship Troopers, which cant be a bad thing. Looking forward to reading the rest of the series. Before I do that though im reading "The Atrocity Archives" by Charles Stross, I am 19% through it and im liking it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, a few chapters in but quite liking it , think i saw part two in Waterstones at the weekend also.

Enjoy, they're 2 of the best books i've read over the past while. You'll want to read them a 2nd or 3rd time, he's great at not saying stuff directly but leaving hints everywhere, you'll pick up something new on each read. They never get boring.

Only problem is book 3 is yet to be published.

Currently reading David chandler's ancient blade series. Half ways dunno what to make of it, its not great but not bad either.

Abraham's dragon path was ok, not a patch on the long price, hopefully the 2nd one is better.

Abraham's dragon path was ok, not a patch on the long price, hopefully the 2nd one is better.

Interesting. As I've said I wasn't impressed by the book either. I might have to check out The Long Price Quartet if it's better though.

Interesting. As I've said I wasn't impressed by the book either. I might have to check out The Long Price Quartet if it's better though.

It was like you said there was no real character you could attach to, besides the merc captain everybody else was a bit of a git, they started out well and then you found out they were dicks.

The long price is good, very unique magic system and it isn't used often, it has good characters and even though nothing really happens at times you can't put down the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭PADRAGON

Reading 3001 The Final Odyssey a pleasure so far.
    Just finished The Hunger Games wasnt great i felt
    id read it all before.:(

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Reading "Shadowrise" by Tad Williams, the 3rd book in his Shadowmarch series. Began it today, exactly four years after I finished the second book. Thankfully there's recaps in there because I've read 163 books since then... 7% in and getting back into it.

• Advertisement

Just started Hilldiggers by Neil Asher. I've just this and the Technician left before ive read all his books. Its been an excellent year's reading, thank you boards for pointing me in his direction.

Finished The Hammer. It was the first book by KJ Parker that I've read, I did enjoy it but I don't think I'd rush out to try and of his/her other books right away.

Because I can't get my hands on Erikson's latest (not released in the US Kindle store until Sept. and I'm not paying the EU price) I've finally started Sanderson's The Way of Kings. 5% in and enjoying it so far. The beginning reminded me so much of the WoT though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Just finished the latest Robert Gordan, Which I feel have became alot better as it comes to an end, Starting on Gardens of The Moon, But reading it on my laptop which I dont enjoy as much as reading it in book form so may leave it till I get a book store

Just finished Quantum Thief by Hannu Rajaniemi and really enjoyed it. Now onto Dark Eden by Chris Beckett. It's about survivors left behind on a planet and how their little society develops, or rather fails to develop. Only a little bit in and it's good so far.

Finished Chandlers ancient blade trilogy. It was alright, a harmless bit of fun although the end felt like a Gemmill end, felt rushed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Just finished the first "Hyperion" book.

Really great stuff - though I was somewhat miffed to find it wasn't a complete novel in itself and you need to move straight on to the next book. Some of the pilgram's stories could have been shaved a bit, too.

Have shelved the sequel as I've started Leviathan Wakes ahead of my holidays next week. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

Reading Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb. Enjoying it so far

Cokeistan wrote: »
    Reading Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb. Enjoying it so far

Let us know what you thought when finished the 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

Let us know what you thought when finished the 3.

Will do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭p38

Hi all new to the thread. Just finished Best Served cold by Joe Abercrombie. Cant order on-line, so was wondering is The Dark Elf trilogy by Ra Salvatore available in stores still. Tried ordering it through Easons waited nearly 2 months went back and they told me they must of forgot to order it:mad:

Advertisement