Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

sentient_6 wrote: »
    I've been reading & thinking alot the last hour about picking up Return of the Crimson Guard instead, plot wise it's supposed to be the right stage. Loads of people complaining about his writing style though.

I actually think his style is easier to follow than Erikson.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Has anyone else read 'Prince of Thorns' by Mark Lawrence? I'm about 100 pages in and its just not captivating me at all. I thinks its because of the the main character and only having his point of view.
    Also the switching from present back to how her got there is a bit grating.
    Anyone had views on it?

Getting 'Ghost Story' BY jim Butcher today so think ll just jump ship to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

I was thinking of starting reading the Destroyermen series soon but after hearing about the monkey sex I might think again lol.

There really isn't any "monkey sex" !. I found the series pretty good so far , esp the first book.

Reading a few thrillers now , was going to start the game of thrones last book but me kindle broke.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Reading "The Well of Ascension" by Brandon Sanderson, the second book in his Mistborn trilogy. His books are really easy to get into - no problem picking up where he left off. The pacing is still good as he jumped straight into the action.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

InReality wrote: »
    There really isn't any "monkey sex" !. I found the series pretty good so far , esp the first book.

Reading a few thrillers now , was going to start the game of thrones last book but me kindle broke.

Just read the first book of the Lost Fleet series by Jack Campbell, very straightforward readable stuff, finished it in 3 days. I'm currently reading Retributions Falls: Tales of the Ketty Jay book 1 by Chris Wooding, its enjoyable stuff, kind of like Lies of Locke Lamora-ish in a sci-fi setting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Gerry.H

Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy, a trilogy in five parts---for the third time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Finished Player of Games which was very enjoyable, considering going back and re-reading Consider Phelbas as that was the first Banks novel I read and put me off him.
    In the meantime, started The Blade Itself, seems to be taking a while to get going...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

ixoy wrote: »
    Reading "The Well of Ascension" by Brandon Sanderson, the second book in his Mistborn trilogy. His books are really easy to get into - no problem picking up where he left off. The pacing is still good as he jumped straight into the action.

Good books, the one thing i like about him is there's rarely any dull moments, and the story\plot keeps twisting. He's a 4th mistborn coming out in november looking forward to it. Just checking him there on amazon, he has 3-4 books out coming out this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Gearheart

Just finished the second Commissar Cain Omnibus "Defender of the Imperium" and started on the Grey Knights omnibus.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

I got The Gates Of Anubis by Tim Powers some time ago after it was recommended on here. Just getting through it now, it's superb.
    Each chapter builds on the last, and it's one of those books that you want to start reading again once you are finished (I'm not finished yet, but I reckon that's how I'll feel).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Book 4 now of the malazan, bloody hell that was a wind down and half on the end of a memory of ice. Got 3 and 4 on the kindle as 1 book, so i'd no idea when i was near the end of book 3 got to what i felt was near the end of the book. so i said i'd finish it before i went to sleep, bloody 2.30 by the time i got to sleep. Great book though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Book 4 now of the malazan, bloody hell that was a wind down and half on the end of a memory of ice. Got 3 and 4 on the kindle as 1 book, so i'd no idea when i was near the end of book 3 got to what i felt was near the end of the book. so i said i'd finish it before i went to sleep, bloody 2.30 by the time i got to sleep. Great book though.

House of chains is my favorite of the whole series, its a follow on from book 2(deadhouse)..... amazing story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

groovie wrote: »
    I got The Gates Of Anubis by Tim Powers some time ago after it was recommended on here. Just getting through it now, it's superb.
    Each chapter builds on the last, and it's one of those books that you want to start reading again once you are finished (I'm not finished yet, but I reckon that's how I'll feel).

I also recommend The Drawing of the Dark and Dinner at DEviants Palace.,
    FWIW If you have ever read VALIS by P K Dick, the character of his friend (the Catholic one) is based on PKD's reallife friendship with Tim Powers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Reading the latest Game Of Thrones, But really struggling to get into it, The other books flew through and really enjoyed, I just cant seem to get into it as Im just waiting for another of my favourite charaters to ve killed off again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

mcgovern wrote: »
    Finished Player of Games which was very enjoyable, considering going back and re-reading Consider Phelbas as that was the first Banks novel I read and put me off him.
    In the meantime, started The Blade Itself, seems to be taking a while to get going...

Thought The Blade Itself was ok, nothing special really.
    Started Peridio Street Station, by China Mieville, struggling to get into it so far.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Finally finished ADWD last night - great stuff as always.

Just started Ready Player One by Ernest Cline.

Geeky!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Dades wrote: »
    Finally finished ADWD last night - great stuff as always.

Just started Ready Player One by Ernest Cline.

Geeky!

That looks interesting actually, think I'll throw it on the wish list.

This is another one is a slightly similar vein that I'm considering Cory Doctorow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

To say im contemplating throwing Return of the Crimson Gaurd into the fire after only a hundred pages would be an understatement. :mad:

Toll the Hounds is looking at me here & i dont think it will be sitting for long.

Alongside a bigger book, I'm reading "Oceanic", a short story collection by Greg Egan. I've read three so far and they've varied in quality but "Crystal Nights" (about the birth of AI) is the best so far.
    To say im contemplating throwing Return of the Crimson Gaurd into the fire after only a hundred pages would be an understatement. :mad:
    Why the rage? I enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Stick with RoTCG, especially for the ending :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

The writing style is awfull. & the first scene with Laseen is just bizarre & nonsensical.

Maybe i won't give up just yet, ill see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

The writing style is awfull. & the first scene with Laseen is just bizarre & nonsensical.

Maybe i won't give up just yet, ill see.

I thought it was good but if its any consolation stonewielder is better...the story and the writing style

Just went mad on amazon. Ordered Lies of Locke Lamora, Flowers for Algaron, Dragons Path and Sea of Ghosts. And two I already got through before but don't have, Name of the Wind and Eric.
    Pre-ordered a lot of stuff, close to 100 euro.

Just finished Prince of Thorns.
    First 100 or so pages are a bit lacklustre. The main character ,Jorg, was annoying me a bit. Killing people here and there, acting and thinking like a complete bast**d. Didn't seem believable for someone so young.
    Things happen later in the book and some events are reveled and he becomes a little less of a bast**rd. Also it becomes more apparent why he was so.
    Short book, was only getting going and it ended. Not often you can say that for a fantasy book and I can see the trilogy being expanded.
    World building was a bit on the light side as well. Ending was a bit anticlimactic as well.
    Look forward to the next one though.

Up next, Tim Powers 'Anubis Gates', while I'm waiting on all that shipment of fantastical goodness.
    Any ideas which I should read first? Flowers for Algeron sounds good but Lies of Locke Lamora got some better good reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Ronanc1

Started reading Paul Kearney's Hawkwood and the Kings, book 1 of The Monarchies of God, only a couple of chapters in but really enjoying the style of writing :D

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Any ideas which I should read first? Flowers for Algeron sounds good but Lies of Locke Lamora got some better good reviews.
    "Lies of Locke Lamora"! Fantastic book - sort of like "Ocean's 11" in a fantasy world, in that it's full of elaborate but entertaining cons. It's very witty too.
    The sequel is good if not quite as sharp.
    It's meant to be all part of a longer sequence but I'm not sure if we'll ever see a third book as the author's had some personal issues.

ixoy wrote: »
    "Lies of Locke Lamora"! Fantastic book - sort of like "Ocean's 11" in a fantasy world, in that it's full of elaborate but entertaining cons. It's very witty too.
    The sequel is good if not quite as sharp.
    It's meant to be all part of a longer sequence but I'm not sure if we'll ever see a third book as the author's had some personal issues.

Yeah I keep seeing hints online that we might never see the next installment.
    It was due for release this year but when I pre booked it, its showing 2012 springtime.
    Whats up?

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Yeah I keep seeing hints online that we might never see the next installment.
    It was due for release this year but when I pre booked it, its showing 2012 springtime.
    Whats up?
    You can read his live journal here. It seems he went into a spiral of severe depression, such that he couldn't even leave his own home for well over a year. He's gradually sorting himself out, but it means he hasn't been able to focus on committing to a large project like a book as he's had other priorities, etc. Dunno if he'll ever go back to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Scott LYnch is also on Twitter @scottlynch78 but yeah he doesn't talk much about Republic of Thieves. Shame, as the first two books were brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭JD1763

Ready Player One is a fantastic return to the eighties, the music, movies and games. Really enjoyed it.

• Advertisement

Reading "The White Luck Warrior", by R. Scott Bakker - the second in his "Aspect Emperor" series. Enjoying it so far: it may dip heavily into philosophy and psychology, but that's part of what makes it unique. Also as cheery as ever...

Advertisement