Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Another good sfi writer is Neal Asher. Spatterjay and cormac series.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,544 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Never did actually pick any of those books from a couple of posts back. Went with Storm Front the first in the Dresden books.
    About 100 pages in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Just finished Legacies by L.E Modesitt jr and starting Darknesses by same, nice read, pick it up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Finished the 4th Saga of the Seven Suns, which was the same as the others, really good story trying to escape but the author's writing style just ruins it.
    Now on Justin Cronin's The Passage, which has been surprisingly good so far.
    Something in it reminds me of Stephen King's horrors (though its probably 10 years or more since I read any of them).
    Also picked up a Kindle for myself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I'm in a bit of a pickle- I can't decide whether to get stuck into book two of the Gentlemen Bastards series, or bite the bullet and finally start Dust of Dreams and The Crippled God, and finish off the Malazan series once and for all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Sarky wrote: »
    I'm in a bit of a pickle- I can't decide whether to get stuck into book two of the Gentlemen Bastards series, or bite the bullet and finally start Dust of Dreams and The Crippled God, and finish off the Malazan series once and for all.
    Finish off the Malazan series. If you read the Gentlemen Bastard's book, you'll just get depressed when you realise there may never be another instalment.

Currently re-reading Wheel of Time in anticipation of the final instalment- book 11 at the moment. It's really been worth reading through again, without three-year waits between books.

Have 'Chronicles of the Black Company' on the go at the moment also (very good), and I've just been given the first two Rothfuss books as well- have heard good things about them.

I think the next R Scott Bakker book is out soon, I'll be getting that, certainly.

I'm up to book four or five (I think) of the Malazan series, but stopped reading for now (got a little bogged down tbh).

Second 'Gentlemen Bastards' book is well worth getting if you enjoyed the first, very much more of the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭JD1763

Still working through the dance. But had a craving for some bladerunneresque material and picked up william gibsons neuromancer, count zero and mona lisa overdrive. They're a nice diversion from dance and much easier to lug on the commute :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Currently re-reading Wheel of Time in anticipation of the final instalment- book 11 at the moment. It's really been worth reading through again, without three-year waits between books.

Yeah it makes a whole lot more sense 2nd time round, you spot alot especially with the prophecies that you totally missed 1st time around.

So anyways finished a dance on friday and started my 3rd go at the malazan series. Got further this time, i'm as far as the 2nd part of the book 1, still no idea whats going on though.

Just finished the first two Dresden books. Light and easy. Fun too. Harry Dresden versus that guy from Moon over Soho and Rivers of London could make for a good crossover series.
    Moving onto The City and The City now.Whats it like?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Moving onto The City and The City now.Whats it like?

I really liked this a lot, far more than any of the other Mieville stuff I've read. A really interesting existential read, especially if you haven't been spoiled to the main plot point.

I really liked this a lot, far more than any of the other Mieville stuff I've read. A really interesting existential read, especially if you haven't been spoiled to the main plot point.

Ive no idea what it is about and I havent even read the jacket to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I'm now reading House of Chains. <3 Karsa!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

On book two of the 'Destroyermen' alt history series: "Crusade". WWII-era destroyer is shifted into parallel world where lemurs and lizards have evolved to be sentient races.

The author has a worrying fascination with cross-species sex. Lots of references to monkey/lemur hybrid creatures called 'Lemurians' whom his human protagonists can't help but notice are 'stacked'. If I see one more reference to 'furry breasts'....

I'm going to do a re-read of the Malazan books at some stage, but I'm waiting until I break my leg or something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Just started Rides A Dread Legion by Raymond E. Feist. It's shockingly bad, reminiscent of the worst D+D novels. Lots of explosions, bog-standard fantasy characters, terrible writing. Not sure how much longer I'll keep going.
    Was the original Riftwar Saga this bad? It was 20 years ago but I'd hate to re-read it now in case it was!

Reading "The Gabble and Other Stories" by Neal Asher, a collection of Polity-set short stories. I've read 3 so far and am enjoying the usual mix of action and fiendish creatures.

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Just started Rides A Dread Legion by Raymond E. Feist. It's shockingly bad, reminiscent of the worst D+D novels. Lots of explosions, bog-standard fantasy characters, terrible writing. Not sure how much longer I'll keep going.
    Was the original Riftwar Saga this bad? It was 20 years ago but I'd hate to re-read it now in case it was!

I read some of the riftwar stuff when I was younger and thought it was great but never the original couple of books, which seem to garner better reviews and respect online.
    After hearing so much about The Magician I went out and got it. Read about half the book only because I kept telling myself 'it has to get better', it didn't and I stopped.
    I taught it was bland and standard fantasy material.
    So I think it probably was that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

...The author has a worrying fascination with cross-species sex. Lots of references to monkey/lemur hybrid creatures called 'Lemurians' whom his human protagonists can't help but notice are 'stacked'. If I see one more reference to 'furry breasts'....

LOL - Fritz Lieber's "The Wanderer" had similar pervy descriptions of some kind of cat-woman. Somehow won the Hugo way back.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,410 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

The Noise Within - 3/5
    The Noise Revealed - 3/5

Not mad about them but worth a read if you're looking for a quick fix and you're all out of Hamilton.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Finally, finally getting around to starting the His Dark Materials trilogy...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

LOL - Fritz Lieber's "The Wanderer" had similar pervy descriptions of some kind of cat-woman. Somehow won the Hugo way back.

I was thinking of starting reading the Destroyermen series soon but after hearing about the monkey sex I might think again lol.

If anyones interested in good military sci-fi you could do worse than read the Helforts War saga by Graham Sharpe Paul, http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Battle-at-Moons-Hell-Graham-Sharp-Paul/9780345495716

As for what I'm reading at the moment, I wanted something lighter so I'm going through DragonQuest by Anne McCaffrey. To paraphrase Father Ted its like Chewing gum for the mind

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

John Dalmas' 'Soldiers' A little like a cross between Heinlein's 'Starship Troopers' and John Ringo's 'A hymn before battle' and its sequels.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

Just finished A Game of Thrones last night and watched the final episode today, EPIC! (I did the read some chapters - watch episode - repeat approach). I'm moving onto A Clash Of Kings now.. I got the first 4 in the series in a bundle for my kindle for dirt cheap!

Currently reading "The Diary of a Dr. Who Addict" by Paul Magrs. Picked something enjoyable and light after the behemoth that was GRRM's latest.

Starting Prince of Thorns. Burned out on Dresden after reading the first 6 within a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Dan Simmons Flashback. I have read most of his books and without doubt the guy is talented, but he seriously needs to bottle his politcal/economic/religious/racist and bigoted rantings. They come to the fore so much I suspect the whole premise of the book is to give him a stage for his weird views. Serious disappointment and I found it disturbing that someone of his obvious intelligence can hold such warped opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

ixoy wrote: »
    Currently reading "The Diary of a Dr. Who Addict" by Paul Magrs. Picked something enjoyable and light after the behemoth that was GRRM's latest.
    Getting to the end of 'A feast for crows' now. Is Dances with dragons a good follow on or should i wait for paperback:confused: If not then finally get onto Paul Hoffmans 'the last 4 things'

5live wrote: »
    Getting to the end of 'A feast for crows' now. Is Dances with dragons a good follow on or should i wait for paperback:confused:
    I reckon it's a good enough follow on. As you're probably aware it features, for the most part, the other half of the cast who weren't in "A Feast for Crows". This means, for example, we get to see some events partially from the other side.
    More to the point, later on in the book we jump back to the story lines of some of the characters from "A Feast for Crows" so you'll be continuing on their stories too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Dammit. Only 200 pages to go after reading from game of thrones and not only 25 yoyos for a hardback but its not even the last in the series:eek::eek:.

I feel the opposite of the guy wanting GRRM to pull the typewriter from his ass and finish the series.

Decisions decisions. To eat or to dance....hmmmmm.

Thanks anyway ixoy

Edit. And in case you are feeling sorry for me its my chocolate (and the kids, pesky recession)allowance thats taking the hit for 6 months or so:P

Advertisement