Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Isard

"The Blade Itself" by Joe Abercrombie. The first book of the trilogy. Some characters' charisma is just stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Great series, love Abercrombies brutality in some of the scenes.

On the 5th book of the malazan, initially was kinda pissed when i found it wasn't about the usual suspects, bridgeburners, dujek etc, but i'm liking it so far. Loving the series because as soon as you think all right thats it, i've everything down, all the gods, warrens etc, he goes and adds another twist\god\warren.

Forgot to ask about the esselmont books, worth getting? and would i better to finish off the fallen series then start these or does it matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Just finished Book IV in the Dark Tower series by Stephen King - Wizard and Glass. The whole Susan story/young Roland was a refreshing change, though I still dislike many of King's themes and obsessions.

Overall - enjoyed it, and will probably read the last 3 at some stage.

I've been a big fan of Warhammer 40K (games) for a long while and decided to read some of the 40K fiction - I'm expecting pulp junk and not literature so I'm not going to be dissapointed on that score - any recommendations (maybe in another thread?) - just about to start Gaunt's Ghosts but do any novels/series stand out?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

JD1763 wrote: »
    Ready Player One is a fantastic return to the eighties, the music, movies and games. Really enjoyed it.
    About halfway through and loving it. You know it's not literature but you just don't care, do you? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Great series, love Abercrombies brutality in some of the scenes.

On the 5th book of the malazan, initially was kinda pissed when i found it wasn't about the usual suspects, bridgeburners, dujek etc, but i'm liking it so far. Loving the series because as soon as you think all right thats it, i've everything down, all the gods, warrens etc, he goes and adds another twist\god\warren.

Forgot to ask about the esselmont books, worth getting? and would i better to finish off the fallen series then start these or does it matter?

Night of Knives takes place before Gardens of The Moon. Return of the Crimson Guard happens somewhere after Reaper's Gale (I think) and then Stonewielder is after that.

They fill out a bit more of the story but some people struggle with Esselmont's different style. I've read them all though and liked them, but I still maintain he isn't as good a writer as Erikson.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

reading the warrior prophet by bakker

bit heavier going than the last one. i kinda liked the philosophy business but all the names are making it a bit silmarillion-esque...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

bluewolf wrote: »
    reading the warrior prophet by bakker

bit heavier going than the last one. i kinda liked the philosophy business but all the names are making it a bit silmarillion-esque...
    It's still pretty heavy going in the Aspect-Emperor series but I am enjoying it. Not many a chuckle but the philosophical insights generally work quite well (they should do, since the author studied for his Degree).

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Elrollo

Currently half way through A Dance With Dragons, such an excellent book I really don't want it to end and have to wait years for another!
    Also reading the first book of the Horus Heresy-Horus Rising by Dan Abnett, another good book!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

I finished "Rides a Dread Legion" by R.E. Feist, which I nearly dropped a few chapters in as it was so bad. Luckily it picked up quite a bit and I've moved on to book two "At the Gates of Darkness." I still hate a few of the more generic characters (beautiful warrior woman etc) and I never was the biggest fan of Pug or Tomas, but the story is chugging along nicely with some interesting planet to planet portalling.

Reaper's Gale on my brand new Kindle.

I'll see how I feel about it... (the Kindle, not the book!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Reaper's Gale on my brand new Kindle.

I'll see how I feel about it... (the Kindle, not the book!)

Let us know what you think, ive been thinking about getting one the last couple of months,

I just love the smell of books but the kindle has a lot of other stuff going for it........mmmmmm

Well after one night of reading I'm really liking it. The screen is gorgeous and it sits nice and comfy in your hand.

I didn't know how I'd cope without a physical book, but it's a nice replacement. I'll still be buying physical copies but the ability to carry around your entire book collection in a single device is something not to be sniffed at!

Let us know what you think, ive been thinking about getting one the last couple of months,
    I thoroughly recommend it. It means I can bring my books everywhere. That's great for fantasy tomes which often weigh more than a small child.
    I'm reading "The White Luck Warrior" (600 pages) on it and recently finished "A Dance of Dragons" (1k pages), "Wise Man's Fear" (1k pages), "The Well of Ascension" (800 pages), etc etc. The total weight otherwise would have been too much, never mind the shelf space.

As a reading experience I'm just as comfortable with it now as a traditional book. Being able to just have it propped open in front of me is very handy - the book doesn't try to close itself...

Recommended definitely for those of us here whose book shelves are creaking under endless fantasy and sci-fi series.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭pearLxx

this:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTCFnr3ieV0X8qixWh2uJ_j4zGedPWZw_Aj2zGpLVHME92drVmfYQ

• Registered Users Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I had one and the reading on it is perfect and the weight is ideal. So portable great battery.
    Being an Irish user sucks though. Having to use the US store isn't ideal. A lot of fantasy books aren't available to Irish users. Particularly old books.
    It's a pity couldn't use UK amazon. Cheaper and better selection of books.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I had one and the reading on it is perfect and the weight is ideal. So portable great battery.
    Being an Irish user sucks though. Having to use the US store isn't ideal. A lot of fantasy books aren't available to Irish users. Particularly old books.
    It's a pity couldn't use UK amazon. Cheaper and better selection of books.

It's quite easy to register your kindle to a UK account - I have an Irish amazon account and send "gift certificates" to my UK account (which registered the kindle) so I can buy books with one click.

have a look at this thread for more details/discussion
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056044467

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Tyler MacDurden

I've taken a break from The Malazans (after Reaper's Gate) and I'm currently halfway through David Mitchell's Cloud Atlas. Anyone else read it? Really enjoying it thus far.

Finished Ready Player One.
    Loved it - cheesy and untaxing and freshfaced.

Back on Surface Detail after a two-book sojourn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

I've moved onto Toll the Hounds after putting down that which shall not be spoken of. :pac:

The difference is night & day.

Found a negative about my Kindle. We get shafted on prices in Canada as opposed to the US store :(

But apart from that, they really are as good as every says they are. No trouble at all reading with it!

• Advertisement

Prices aren't all bad - I bought a random cheesy techno-scifi-thriller for $1.19 on Friday on a whim (lovin' it too!)

Such books are my guilty pleasure!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Finished Perido Street Station, really struggled with it. All the explanations/names of magic and technology confused the hell out of me.
    All the place names etc confused the hell out of me.
    New races being introduced for a few pages added nothing to the story e.g. halfingers.

Decided I needed some light reading after that and started Equal Rites by Pratchett.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭JD1763

Mieville can be tough going at times but Perdido Street Station is one of my favourite books. I'd recommend giving Iron Council a go after you've finished your break.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Macca3000

Finally got started on The Name of the Wind. It has spent 6 months sitting in the window until last night. And I'm 160 pages in today.

Bodes well :) And I actually wanted to not like just so I wouldn't be jumping on the bandwagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Dades wrote: »
    Prices aren't all bad - I bought a random cheesy techno-scifi-thriller for $1.19 on Friday on a whim (lovin' it too!)

Such books are my guilty pleasure!
    I notice that the book you linked to has the words "NY Times Best Selling author" on the foront cover. This fits in with my cranky preconceived bias notion that it seems those are the the key words that get your book onto Kindle. Excellent but maybe less well-sellling niche genre books by excellent authors who will probably never be on the NYT best selling list dont seem to be available on Kindle (last time I looked )

Excellent but maybe less well-sellling niche genre books by excellent authors who will probably never be on the NYT best selling list dont seem to be available on Kindle (last time I looked )
    I'd disagree with this. The best seller lists are full of authors who've used the Kindle platform to publish themselves. Many of them would never have had a chance with a big publisher but now they can find an audience. Check out the Kindle best sellers and there's many from authors who you'd never find in a book shop.

Which isn't to say top authors can't do well. Forum fave George R. R. Martin is now in the million-seller Kindle club. Without me, he'd only have 999,999.

Finished Reaper's Gale. Man, I really love my Kindle now. It makes me want to read more!

Trying to decide whether to continue on with Toll The Hounds or take a break and read Horus Rising or maybe reread The Lies of Locke Lamora.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

I must say the banter between Bugg and tehol is hilarious in this book, besides that its a pretty good book.

I notice that the book you linked to has the words "NY Times Best Selling author" on the foront cover. This fits in with my cranky preconceived bias notion that it seems those are the the key words that get your book onto Kindle.
    I'd love to agree with you but the criminal lack of Clive Cussler novels suggests otherwise!

I <3 Clive Cussler

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

kate elliott's "cold fire" just arrived, so... :D

Advertisement