Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,405 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

5live wrote: »
    Reading 'Among Thieves: A Tale of The Kin' by Douglas Hulick. I wasnt sure about it buying it as a make up in a 3-for-2 but it is a winner. Really interesting and reminds me a lot of 'The lies of Locke Lamorra' in that you enter the world of thieves organisations but Drothe is a sympatethic charachter and the story fairly zips along. Half way through and really really enjoying it:)

Which reminds me....

Claims of March 2012.

Also this: http://twitter.com/#!/scottlynch78/status/106117632125710336

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

mcgovern wrote: »
    Finished Flatland, can see why it was ahead of its time, but not great these days.
    Started The Fall which is the sequel to The Strain, by Chuck Hogan and Guilermo del Torro.

That was pretty enjoyable, looking forward to the final part which I think is due out this month.
    Also read Bill Bryson's, A Short History of Nearly Everything, which was educational :D

Now reading The Gap into Power: A Dark and Hungry God Arises, been awhile since I read the second one, and even longer since I read the first, so struggling to remember who is who etc but not bad so far.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Reading Ricardo Pinto's "The Standing Dead", the second book in his awkwardly titled "Stone Dance of the Chameleon" trilogy. Liking it so far - Pinto's world is quite unique. It's a bit slow but it's not harming the story so far (10% of the way through).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Just finishing up The Steel Remains. Taken me a lot longer than usual to finish, stupid college course!
    Dont know what to read next as I have a massive pile built up.

The Dragons Path by Daniel Abraham
    The Cold Commands by Richard Morgan
    Snuff by Terry Pratchet
    Scar Night by Alan Campell or his Sea of Ghosts
    Kraken by whats his face.

Which one? I hate choices

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

OwaynOTT wrote: »

China Mieville. Read that one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Just finishing up The Steel Remains. Taken me a lot longer than usual to finish, stupid college course!
    Dont know what to read next as I have a massive pile built up.

The Dragons Path by Daniel Abraham
    The Cold Commands by Richard Morgan
    Snuff by Terry Pratchet
    Scar Night by Alan Campell or his Sea of Ghosts

Which one? I hate choices

:( Its a bad choice, sorry to say I didnt find any on that list particularly good,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Just finished Snuff and working my way through A Song of Ice and Fire (again) and Joe Abercrombie's stuff.

Just finished Snuff and working my way through A Song of Ice and Fire (again) and Joe Abercrombie's stuff.

What's snuff like? Good as the other Vimes books?

mcgovern wrote: »
    Now reading The Gap into Power: A Dark and Hungry God Arises, been awhile since I read the second one, and even longer since I read the first, so struggling to remember who is who etc but not bad so far.

It was pretty confusing and not as dark as I remember the other two being. Worth a read but overall, not brilliant.

Decided to give The Lies of Locke Lamora a go. Really enjoying it so far, but not a fan of the swapping timelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

What's snuff like? Good as the other Vimes books?

Similar to Thud in terms of quality. Quite serious at times, but a good larf all the same. I don't think he'll ever top the Night Watch though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

77% through The Crippled God. Will be sad when it's all over.

Thinking I'll give The Lies of Locke Lamora a re-read after I'm done, before embarking on a re-read of ASoIaF.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Ready Player One.
    Not living up to the hype so far
    "the Neuromancer of its generation" - in my ****in' arse :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

Maps in a Mirror Volumes 1&2 by Orson Scott Card
    I read it years ago but ordered it from the Library to reread and to see if
    it is still as good when I first read it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭mikeyboy

Just finished "The Lies Of Locke Lamora" in the Gollantz 50 edition and have ordered "Red Seas Under Red Skies" along with the first two of Jim Butcher's "Codex Alera" series. While I'm waiting for those to arrive I'll get stuck into "Snuff"

Reading "At the Gates of Darkness" by Raymond E. Feist, the 1,453,245th Midkemia-set book. It's okay so far, nothing special but it's an easy read and the e-book only cost about €5.

mikeyboy wrote: »
    Just finished "The Lies Of Locke Lamora" in the Gollantz 50 edition and have ordered "Red Seas Under Red Skies" along with the first two of Jim Butcher's "Codex Alera" series. While I'm waiting for those to arrive I'll get stuck into "Snuff"

Finished The Lies of Locke Lamora myself at the weekend, and I have to say that I loved it! Straight into Red Seas Under Red Skies, couldn't get enough of the story!

Reading Daniel Abraham's "A Betrayal in Winter", the 2nd book in his Long Price quartet series. Nice to see a sequel novel feel confident to pick up 14 years after the first one. Enjoying the beginning of the intrigue so hope it measures up with the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Rhand

Currently reading Confessor by Terry Goodkind. Don't really like him because he's usually waaay too preachy and the ending just sucks, but there's a few scenes in here that I really like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Rhand wrote: »
    Currently reading Confessor by Terry Goodkind. Don't really like him because he's usually waaay too preachy and the ending just sucks, but there's a few scenes in here that I really like.

Totally agree, some good bits in the books, but over all they were meh, the book should've been written in the 50's with the way he was banging on about communism.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Demeyes

I'm reading Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy. I'm just starting Royal Assassin, the 2nd book. It seems easy enough reading so far.

• Advertisement

I'm about 1/3 into The Dreaming Void by Hamilton. It is suffering from the typical Hamilton trait of certain story arcs that I can well image will have no great importance in the end. For example there is one character who, so far, has redecorated her apartment and shagged a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭jcrowbar

baz8080 wrote: »
    I'm about 1/3 into The Dreaming Void by Hamilton. It is suffering from the typical Hamilton trait of certain story arcs that I can well image will have no great importance in the end. For example there is one character who, so far, has redecorated her apartment and shagged a lot.

Keep with it, it's an excellent series :)

jcrowbar wrote: »
    Keep with it, it's an excellent series :)

I think I will. Most of the threads are excellent but I think I know which ones I can skim over :) There were some threads in the dysfunction series that consumed a lot of time but ultimately went nowhere, think it is Hamilton's style.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Reading "The Cold Commands" by Richard Morgan at the moment, I would recommend reading the TAK Kovaks books first/again (Altered Carbon etc.) It deffo seens to be the same universe and ther are more than a few "aha" monents to be gained from simply reading the character/faction names aloud, but to get it I think that you need to know the characters from the other books quite well or the middle gets a bit confusing/barking mad.
    This starts as a real middle of the trilogy book but seems to be gathering pace again in the last third almost as if there isn't going to be a third book - either way a good read so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

baz8080 wrote: »

:)

Post again when you've finished Evolutionary Void!

Finished Red Sea under Red Skies which wasn't bad, but not as good as The Lies of Locke Lamora. The whole naval thing put me off a fair bit.
    Now reading Use of Weapons by Iain M Banks.

Started "The Heroes " by Joe Abercrombie. I'm expecting this to be good, going on his previous work.

First law trilogy = excellant
    Best served cold = very enjoyable
    Heroes = I have no complaints

Still can't wait for red country!

First law trilogy = excellant
    Best served cold = very enjoyable
    Heroes = I have no complaints

Still can't wait for red country!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live