Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spencer Tunick Shoot

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Some press shots - medium quality - thought yee might like to see - borrowed from another site

Thanks for posting man, brilliant stuff. I'm visible and pretty recognisable in two of the beach shots. And the similar shot in the Herald last night. And in the Indo this morning. My girl friend thinks it's the funniest thing she's seen in ages and is well chuffed. I guess we'll be buying all the Sunday papers today! Had a fair few early morning texts in already.

Funniest was how easy it was to chat and make jokes...
    That, and how frustrated Tunick seemed that all Dublin wanted to do was the chant, laugh and make jokes. At one stage in the first shoot he was shouting through the bullhorn, "Please, please, please guys – you're not thinking of your neighbours! DON'T LOOK AT ME... LOOK AT THE SKY! LOOK AT THE SKY!"

Absolutely. That and the insane rush by everyone to get naked to go running screaming down the beach. Brilliant life affirming madness, the stuff of great memories.
    "Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage."Anais Nin.

Perfect quote, though the day felt a bit more Henry Miller than Anais Nin for me. What an amazing day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

cuckoo wrote: »
    I was down that end of the pier as well. Very, very cold - i remember standing there for what felt like an eternity, then turning around and realising that they were still setting up hordes of people waaaay back. Really nice atmosphere, most around that area seemed to have come in pairs or solo, so everyone was just chatting away to everyone.

and starting nude mexican waves.

I had got talking to some girl on the bus and she was alone, a little scared but going to go ahead with it.
    She was only wearing a tea shirt and so i gave her my ski jacket. We just got talking to people.
    There was a great sense of humour. One that I recall (though maybe it was the time and place) was a girl saying about a guys accent "your from cork aren't you"
    Someone piped up with "which bit of him did you recognise?"

There was lots of yelling to the ferry passengers .."see what happens when you vote no to lisbon lol."

Windscok: there were quite a few nerves for people initially, but once the clothes came of, noone bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,255 ✭✭✭✭fits

Marksie wrote: »
    there seemd to be more women than men in the area i was. Noone really knew each other, all differnt ages and body types, yet at the end we were all hugging and laughing.. .

I thought the reverse, that there were more men down my end. And some largeish groups too.
    cuckoo wrote: »
    I was talking to some friends who were at the other end, and said that there were a lot of large groups back there and a good few ppl who were 'removed' by security (while everyone was waiting around, before the clothes came off) as they were rowdy drunk.

Yes there were a few alright. They also had difficulty getting cooperation my end for the first shoot. That was another reason I thought the second shoot was better.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,255 ✭✭✭✭fits

What an unbelievably crap photograph. Taken with the aim of getting bits in and nothing else. Theres absolutely no atmosphere in that photo. I'd be ashamed of myself if I was so crap at taking photos to be honest. :D

Theres a much better one in todays Sunday Times which somewhat captures it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 michaelX

I didn't stay for the beach shot. Thought my health was more important because I was shivering even with my clothes back on. After reading all the comments about it I regret it a bit. But I don't cough and sneeze - that's something.

Yes, it was great. My favorite moment was when someone shouted "Welcome to Ireland" to the incoming ferries. Imagine being a passenger there, looking out of your window at 5 am and seeing thousands of naked people waving at you! Maybe that was what the "Bounty" mutineers saw when they arrived in Tahiti. Well - except for the weather ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭danindublin

I made it into the papers! Well the Sunday Star. Just my upper-body, thankfully not my man bits! Also in the Observer! :)

me.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I didn't stay for the beach shots, I had been up all night.
    When we paused to grab a cup of tea at the van before getting on the bus we say the
    members of the press trying to jog down to the bend in the road to see the beach with all thier gear, most of them were struggling and purple in the face :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 poh

fits wrote: »
    What an unbelievably crap photograph. Taken with the aim of getting bits in and nothing else. Theres absolutely no atmosphere in that photo. I'd be ashamed of myself if I was so crap at taking photos to be honest. :D

Theres a much better one in todays Sunday Times which somewhat captures it.

I agree some of the pics in the paper are really bad. I cant wait to see Spencers lighthouse pics.

To all the lads who met up outside Isaacs, was great to meet you all. Sorry I didnt get to say Slan to you all after the beach shoot as it was totally chaotic.

Fair play to everyone who took part, its just sinking in today and its great to see all the posts bringing back the great memories.

Anyone do the shoot this morning by the way??

• Registered Users Posts: 37 aidofitz

I loved how giggly and sharp everyone became the minute the clothes came off – it was one of the best experiences I've ever had.
    As we waited out on the dock it was amazing to see how willing everyone seemed to get their kit off – one fella in my section stripped off as soon as the bullhorn came on, which sparked a mass-stripping.

Funniest was how easy it was to chat and make jokes...
    That, and how frustrated Tunick seemed that all Dublin wanted to do was the chant, laugh and make jokes. At one stage in the first shoot he was shouting through the bullhorn, "Please, please, please guys – you're not thinking of your neighbours! DON'T LOOK AT ME... LOOK AT THE SKY! LOOK AT THE SKY!"
    I felt like I was in grade school again and being yelled at by a substitute teacher :rolleyes:

Didn't want to, but was talked into staying for the beach-shoot. Glad I did, although I did notice a shocking amount of purple people in the water – one of the lads my friend and I were standing with turned blue, although decorum restricted me form finding out if it was the whole of him.

Great experience- but was totally wrecked all of Saturday!

Hi Brigit, I'm guessing you are the same Brigit that I was standing with for most of the event, along with N and J? Was great craic - deffo crossed a good number of items off my things to do before I die list, not least introducing myself to yerselves while we were all totally starkers! Bet you are glad we persuaded you to stick it out till the end now! Anyway, great to meet you all, see you at the next one! :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Cracking event saturday morning. I was well impressed at how good it was run. And bingo! I've tickets for the after shoot party this evening as I bumped into an organiser in the Long hall last night. He reckoned that the dublin crowd was the bolshiest that they've ever come across. Wasn't meant as an insult but much more of a compliment. Go bolshie dublin!
    About 60-50 more women where i was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

Hay I can finally say I made it on page 3 of a newspaper :D
    Page three of the evening herald :D;):D

Have to say it was a great morning. I had butterflies in the stomach just after Spencer said he was waiting for the sunrise, and me hoping that was all that was going to rise !! When the time came we were all in the buff in about 30 seconds. Bodies, thousands of bodies, all shapes and sizes including my own.

I was in the middle part of the pier, and there was great crac with slagging. When those two seagulls passed overhead a handfull were heard to say "mine, mine, mine" (Finding Nemo). As for the lad who said that he had a stiff neck on shot two, well the retoric drew a hugh laugh. Imagine those tourists on the ferries coming to Ireland for the first time, sipping their coffee, munching a croissant then WTF. We have gone from the land of saints and scollars to scollars and streakers. Oh how I would love to have been a fly on the wall :D

I was one of the brave who went for the beach shot. THe press photos don't do the occassion justice. The singing, waving, water splashing and crac was almighty. I'd do it again in the morning. Spencer all is forgiven - come back again .... Pleeease.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭carveone

smacl wrote: »
    Absolutely. That and the insane rush by everyone to get naked to go running screaming down the beach. Brilliant life affirming madness, the stuff of great memories.

I was hanging about with another guy and two girls who were saying they'd had enough at that point with the cold and rain. But when everyone went for the beach we all just stripped off and ran down. It was just a stunning sight to see all those people laughing and shouting. It took quite an effort to get us all to shut up so he could take the shot.

I was up the far end of the pier beside the lighthouse. Man, the concrete parts of the pier were hard on the feet. But there was a lot of humour, even in the standing around (for ages and ages). The mexican wave was brilliant - I think that that would only happen here! How many ferries went by! Someone said "Look, that's the same one again!" :D

Cheers to the American visitor and the two girls from Dundalk and Swords, I think it would have been hard to find my clothes again without you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 brendan4

Anyone go to this mornings? What was it like?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Confirms one thing.

The Irish ARE the whitest race in the world. :D

Well done to all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭bridget.laitly

aidofitz wrote: »
    Hi Brigit, I'm guessing you are the same Brigit that I was standing with for most of the event, along with N and J?

I am indeed- once I thawed out I was glad I stayed, even when it was raining, windy and cold! :D
    Have you found yourself in the papers yet? I've seen myself and N in the sun, the indo and the mail on sunday... who knew it was this easy to get into the papers?
    Nice meeting you too, we all gave Spencer a day he won't forget ;)

While I'm thinking of it- does anyone have large sizes of the beach shots?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Daz R1

Without repeating what everyone says I just have to say what an amazing 5 and a half hours from beginning to end ,I had sent a mail around to all my friends about two weeks ago and "Danindublin" was the only one who said yes and it was him who covinced me to do the beech shot ,So Dan a BIG THANK YOU, I'm loving the pic of you you posted pity you can only see the top of my head .

I've checked all the sunday papers ,theres a good one in the Indo,altho havnt seen myself at all :( which to be honest ive a pretty big tattoo on my leg (of two faces just incase hehe)so it wudnt be hard to miss.

I think the jokes and chants made it for me as well ,I heard one peron shout to the ferry in a broken english "they wudnt let us in now we've to swim home" also when the 1st shoot was over and every one was gingerly walking back on the stone to there clothes some girl had had enough ,of the cold probably,and proceded to run to which i shouted "STREAKER" which got a good laugh ,or walking off the beech someone shouted to Spencer "will ya do my wedding " :D there was so many ...

I though I wudnt meet anyone there I knew but to my amazement I met a friend (nothing new there i hear ye say) but she was not talking part she was with the camera man under Spencers cherrypicker so im going to see if I can get a full copy of all there footage and maybe post it up some were ...maybe... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

humberklog wrote: »
    He reckoned that the dublin crowd was the bolshiest that they've ever come across. Wasn't meant as an insult but much more of a compliment. Go bolshie dublin!

any idea what spencer tunick thought of it overall.
    His plans changed quite a bit whihc was a pity after all the time we spent practicing A B C 1, A B C 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Daz R1 wrote: »
    I though I wudnt meet anyone there I knew but to my amazement I met a friend (nothing new there i hear ye say) but she was not talking part she was with the camera man under Spencers cherrypicker so im going to see if I can get a full copy of all there footage and maybe post it up some were ...maybe... :D

Add me to your list if you do get it

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Daz R1

Ive allready been told that "IF" she can get/give me the footage ,Im not to pass it on to anyone else ;) So i WON't ;) be giving anyone the clips who PM's me ;);)......

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭SQ2

So surprised at how much fun it was freezing my pride and joy in to a reclusive thimble, Have been playing where's Wally in all of the papers today, then when I found myself in a few of them it became where's Willy with the cold, but who cares - I'm officially art baby!!

The eagerness of everyone to get kit off was matched by the eagerness to get the kit back on as soon as we finished the first shoot... someone would have done a roaring trade in willy warmers!

Wasn't gonna do the shoot in the sea, but someone commented "when are you going to get the chance to do this again?" that made my mind up!!

I'm so glad I did the second one with everyone doing jumping jacks in the water, to whoever left 'cos of the weather, sorry guys, you seriously missed the best part of the day!

A huge pity that the 2nd shoot couldn't happen, we were up at the lighthouse at the very front so were meant to be at the front for the 2nd one..

Would do it again at the drop of a hat, hard to describe the feeling of being on that long narrow stretch of rock with thousands of nekkid people.. surreal maybe? The mix was even enough between gals and fellas I felt..

To the boards lads good on ya, it made things a lot easier to have the ice breaker, even bigger thanks to the boards girls who came to the meet ;)

A long night, but one I will never ever forget, and it won't be my choice if the lads get wind of the photos!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 aidofitz

Have you found yourself in the papers yet? I've seen myself and N in the sun, the indo and the mail on sunday... who knew it was this easy to get into the papers?

Haven't spotted myself yet - think i should have dyed my hair green or something! Didn't see the indo and the mail thou - ive only see the times and the pictures on the internet (ones on this blog, and one on the sun site). I must be near enough to yourselves - which papers had the best pics? Hope they got your best side! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭Scootay

I spotted myself in one photo in one paper but it's from behind and you'd have to be really looking for me and I've scanned most of the Sunday papers so I think I'm in the clear.

Great fun and I'd do it again in an instant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 phoneix

What a great way (despite wind,chill, rain) to celebrate the midsummer. I would do this again with or in a flash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Just out of interest, did anyone go to the Sunday morning shoot on grand canal plaza ? If so, what were the details ? (poses etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

phoneix wrote: »
    What a great way (despite wind,chill, rain) to celebrate the midsummer. I would do this again with or in a flash.

It was a wonderful way to greet the sun on midsummers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

any chance of someone putting up some newspaper scans? i didn't get any of the papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

Just out of interest, did anyone go to the Sunday morning shoot on grand canal plaza ? If so, what were the details ? (poses etc)

If you check out the Specer Tunick Experience forums here http://www.spencertunickforum.org/group/viewtopic.php?t=553

It'll give you some details. Seemingly it was a very quick shoot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 TheOtherDave

What a amazing day (if not weather-wise!) and shoot.
    I wish you could bottle the spirit and atmosphere from the event, it was FANTASTIC !!

I'm still buzzing from doing it :D

I met two amazing people, whom I'm so proud to call friends now (they know who they are ;) ) and the rest of the people around us were just brilliant !!

We did the main shoot and the last one on the beach.

I'm definitely on to go to another one of Spencer's shoots !!

Finally a massive thank you to everyone from Spencer and all his staff/helpers and everyone who went and did the shoot ;)

Thanks for a day I'll never forget :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭ericl

I thought this was the best.
    Some press shots - medium quality - thought yee might like to see - borrowed from another site

4.jpg
    and then this came up and i laughed my arse off.
    Mairt wrote: »
    SHARK ATTACK.........Run for yer lives

attachment.php?attachmentid=58207&stc=1&d=1214052953

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 starsareinherey

Unfortunately, I was not around the the last shoot and kicking myself now that the wind, rain and cold got to me! We were told that it was a secondary shoot to the first one and that it was ok that we didn't participate.

Papers reported yesterday that Spencer was unhappy with the lighthouse pier shoot (although he was not quoted) and that those after were begged to stay. I remember when I was leaving that he thanked us for our participation.

For all those who stayed - fair play to you. But I am hoping that when I get the picture in the mail - that it is the first shoot or else all my nakedness was in vain! (Although one of the best experiences on my life!)

Does anyone know what shot (if all of them) we will be sent?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement