Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Apprentice (IRL) - Preshow Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

kmart6 wrote: »
    Galway?!

Yeah right, and have diddly-eyedly music instead of Prokofiev! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Cant wait for the Apprentice 'Irish Style' on TV3 this Autumn, I suspect it might be slightly different with dear ould 'Bill Cullen' in place of Sir Alan.

Every time I hear the name Bill Cullen I keep thinking of the sketch (caricature) of him that used to run on The Last Word (Today FM), it was all . . . Ah jasus, me ould Ma would have been proud of me sellin dese feckin apples & pears in Moore Street & makin a fekkin massive profit as big as a monkeys mickey, back in da day, ah sure me hands used to be bleedin in d'cold wedder, etc, etc, etc . . . .

I dont know if Bill Cullen really sounds like the sketch on Today FM, but if he does, it should be a hoot :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Bushalicious

its going to be embarrassing no matter what. i'd say it will do one season. two at a push. this country is too small for reality shows. we don't have the right characters, and enough of them for a sustained series. and the production values will look cheap compared to the bbc version so that will put people off straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I would suspect that they would import a few candidates from the UK. Personally I can't see it making it past a first season.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭elurhs

I'm not a fan of Cullen, any time I've heard him he's got on my nerves. As someone has said he's unintentionally hilarious, there's a reason Gift Grub take the piss out of him!

That being said, the programme won't be crap due to him. It will be crap due to TV3 doing a half-arsed job on it. I reckon it takes a hell of a lot of cash for the Beeb to make their Apprentice and TV3 just won't sink that kind of money into it. Also I reckon there's enough interesting candidates in Ireland for one season, tops. I mean people have said this year's crop on the BBC were the worst ever, and they have 10 times our population!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Try fifteen times our population ..................

UK = 60 million.
    ROI = 4 million.

Talking of budget required for a successful programme attempt, I was once told that if the BBC only had access to the annual funds of RTE then they (BBC) would only run for 3 days before running out of funds!

I suspect that the TV3 version of the Apprentice will be cringe worthy & embarrassing affair, probably going the same way as the "Irish Big Brother" ....... what was it called? 'The Farm' or something like that? when several Irish "B" Celebs lived in a Hut for a week & one of them wore his hat all the time?

Even the Irish "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" only lasted one or two seasons & that was run by RTE . . .
    so what chance do TV3 have ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

yep, remember the irish motoring show, cant think of the name, apparently their budget for the season was half of one top gear episode :p

Even the Irish "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" only lasted one or two seasons & that was run by RTE . . .
    so what chance do TV3 have ?
    I suspect they will have some high profile sponsors on board and each show will be a platform for extensive product placements for the sponsors.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Cos there's no way O'Leary would ever pay the winner a six figure salary!

Apparently in the UK the salary is actually paid for the first year by the BBC and not by Sir Alan after that its up to him if he wants to keep them or not. So even if they got O 'Leary that wouldnt be an issue. Also its why i think they say package worth 100k, cos TV3 arent gonna come up with that kind of money so id say its a deal between Bill and TV3 like they pay the salary of say 50k and he provies them with a new car or something rubbish like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Todoquetengo

Saw the ad for it there, it's even cringeworthy so the show will likely be the same. If they have a crap budget then the tasks will be boring!

Of course we'll all watch it though, and this being Ireland there'll prob be someone we know on it, the country is just too small :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Another thing about it will be the fact it'll be going to Ad breaks every 10 mins, with loads of sponsored stuff too..........at least on the BBC it runs for the full hour with no interuptions.........It'll be SHOITEEE on TV3.......Awful stuff in store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭scholes19

i reckon stevie staunton should have got d job!
    'Im the gaffer and whatever i say goes, your sackd':):)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Sizzler wrote: »

Jesus that's awfully harsh I have to say...

Not really. TV3 deserve all the criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Sizzler wrote: »

good reading there and right to the point ... good find.

I don't see myself ever having the gaul or confidence of applying for anything like the apprentice ... I wish all the potential candidates luck :) and i look forward to watching the first episode at least

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Rob_l wrote: »
    I would be very surprised if he was offered it, that he would turn it down. Michael O'Leary the media whore that he is turn down free publicity :eek::eek::eek::eek:

In reading Ruinair, apparently Mick was offered the UK slot before Alan Sugar but turned it down :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

connundrum wrote: »
    In reading Ruinair, apparently Mick was offered the UK slot before Alan Sugar but turned it down :confused:

That's probably just some rumour he himself put around tbh........

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

cheesedude wrote: »

:D

In fairness his shytetalk is ripe for parody. No doubting that he's a successful businessman.

cheesedude wrote: »

Why? A lot of it reflected what was posted on here by a lot of people! Pretty much summed up what the majority expect the show to be.

As the previous poster said, no doubting he has been successful...BUT......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I think the problems with the Irish version of this US TV series has already got off to a bad start.

1. They are copying everything about the English Version of the series, rather then going down a different Route just as the BBC did with their version of this US TV series (I know Mark Burnett is English but he is based in the US AFAIK)
    2. They already have their sponsor. (I think I might apply for a mortage lol)
    3. Shinawhil are the producers, from the people who brought you You're A Star.

I think that Irish versions of English programmes have been produced well in the past however they have generally gone with bad choices for TV presenters.

1. WWTBAM is a fairly average show anyway, the only good thing about the show is that their could be a winner. Gay Byrne was OK and the production from Tyrone Productions couldn't be faulted. Really the English version needs to be axed at this stage, one series is enough of a novelty. It was axed because they could find a sponsor, and it ran out of steam, it became a daytime quiz in the US after the second series, it had ran out of steam their as well.
    2. TWL, Eamon Dunphy really bad mistake.
    3. The Celebrity Farm was not an Irish version of Big Brother or any other programme. I always wondered if the producers got money from the French and English Versions??? called the Farm.
    4. I like Treasure Island the Irish version of the the NZ show. And Cabin Fever was good espically when the boat ran a ground, now that's real. LOL

I don't think it is a good idea for TV3 to produce an Irish version of a popular English show when the haven't produced very much Irish programming. Unless TV3 have a pack of Irish programmes for the Autumn they will rely heavily on The Apprentice for their 10 year anniversary to prove their worth. I hope they have some good Irish programming over the new season but I some how think this is TV3 putting all of their eggs in the one basket.
    Try fifteen times our population ..................

UK = 60 million.
    ROI = 4 million.

I think they could look up north i.e. 6million people.

Also I think that the BBC producers pick bad contestants this year purely for show. IMO.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Elmo wrote: »
    1. They are copying everything about the English Version of the series, rather then going down a different Route just as the BBC did with their version of this US TV series

And what route would that be? The Uk series is an exact copy of the US one. The US one changed its formula slightly in an effort to improve ratings by adding such things as the losing team had to sleep outdoors in one season, or book smarts vs street smarts but that wasnt until later in the series.

I am talking about the style of the orginal US series

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brSYXW5nsPs

and the English version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTLdx_7RF34

Even the board room is different

But it is likely that we will have an intro consisiting of:-

Bill Cullen
    "This is not a game, its all about how you feel about Penny apples"
    Narrator
    "From all corners of the country 16 people have come to Dublin"
    Bill Cullen
    "When I sold penny apples"
    Narrator
    "They are here to compete for a job worth 100,000 euro, for a man who is easy going"
    Bill Cullen
    "I cann't see any of these people selling Penny apples"
    Narrator
    "Bill Cullen has built an empire of Penny Apples, now he is on a hunt for an apprentice"
    Bill Cullen
    "if you never sold penny apples.... you're fired, you're fired"
    Narrator
    "To succeed they will have to live and work together"

Various clips of contestants arguing

Narrator
    "It is the chance of a life time."

Roffle! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Duckjob

"You're barney-bracked" <cringe>

The seem to be copying the US version online?????

http://www.tv3.ie/theapprentice/

Duckjob wrote: »
    "You're barney-bracked" <cringe>

:D

I heard the loser gets a free Renault Clio as punishment for finishing runner up :o

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Let's just rule out one thing now...a woman will not win it.

Let's just rule out one thing now...a woman will not win it.

Well at least she will have a Clio :)

• Advertisement

I see the wikipedia entry for Dr.Bill has been locked due to vandalism lol

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement