Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography Exam

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 awaitingdrummer

Came out of that damned exam thinkin i mite have scraped an A2 and now as i look through the paper again i realise that i prob got a C2. i also left the exam hall with my short questions had 2 leg it back in to put it in my folder LOL!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Nato! wrote: »
    the timeing was grand i was finished the test with 30 mins to spare so i made up my own geoecology question and did that WITH MY LEFT HAND. . . not

thats impossible, everyone knows that left handed people can't be educated.

Probably didn't help that i realised only a couple mins from the end that my sketch map had to be on graph paper and had to redraw it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Barrys-Tea

My whole year thought it was really hard... !! For ocean/atmosphere option.. What was that global warming question all about ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭melboix

Ino112 wrote: »
    I'm glad to find out I'm not the only one :P

A teacher told us to use the one (the tiny one) which is printed on all the OS maps (legend side) to guide us, but I think it messed mine up even more. My West side was..let's just say..interesting..

Ahaha, I did the same thing! That stupid little map was not Ireland. My South-West/West was deffo the most 'interesting' of mine too. I'd say they get it all the time though, Ireland is an undeniably difficult little island to draw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

BJC wrote: »
    It was low oblique, Im about 80% sure (with my fingers crossed)

are you sure?:confused:i was thought that if you can see a portion of the horizon,its low,otherwise its high if you cant,who is wrong here!LOL :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

andrew wrote: »
    Probably didn't help that i realised only a couple mins from the end that my sketch map had to be on graph paper and had to redraw it
    That hardly matters! I did it in the booklet for the pre and got 16/20.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭abcxyz123

donmeister wrote: »
    are you sure?:confused:i was thought that if you can see a portion of the horizon,its low,otherwise its high if you cant,who is wrong here!LOL :D

exactly what my teacher told me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mattfender

andrew wrote: »
    thats impossible, everyone knows that left handed people can't be educated.

It had to be on graph paper???!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 RA253195370HK

Doubt it you'd lose much for that though would you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mattfender

I didnt think it was neccessary..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 RA253195370HK

I only did the one on unemployment figures, that one specifically said to do it on graph paper. Dont know about any of the others...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 nyangnyang

i didn't do it on graph paper,doubt I'll lose any marks. For the changes to Irish landscape I said tara mines and transport infrastructure(roads,port) in dublin.Are these off the point? Also I think I messed up change due to a member state of EU,i didn't stress the EXPANSION of the EU,only noticed it at the end. Also for the ocean and atmosphere about the interaction between the two do you just go on about the global winds and ocean currents??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

^I was told you lose half marks for not doing it on graph paper.

I was really pleased with the exam, I didn't study for it at all really but I think I managed to do quite well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Boink08

I thought it was a loooovely paper. You couldn't hope for a better geoecology question!

I misread the part C of physichal and thought it was the same question they've bought up in the years before (examine how human processes interact with river processes) and was horrified when I discovered it wasn't after having done the parts A and B. Nonetheless I made a stab at it! Started dumping everything I knew about dams down and I was happy with myself that I thought to bring in the Sacramento Valley irrigation scheme in California.

My regional was also a bit poor :p But I still think I'm definately in the run for an A1, or at least an A2!

By the way: for all the people who didn't know the faultines question
    - A = Normal
    - B = Transform
    - C = Reverse
    - D = Transform

And about the aerial photograph: I too had heard the rule that horizon = low oblique, no horizon = high oblique. So I'm thinking (and hoping :)) it was a high oblique.

edit: Messed up the order of the faultlines, I was listing them by reading order rather than by letter order :p

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭delta214

Yeh like i said there is one book that has the aerial photo thing wrong.
    The correct way is the way Boink said. Horizon = Low, No horizon = High

EDIT: After some research it seems that the opposite is true. Varied accounts from the internet. Fantastic.

Also for the sketch map not being on graph paper, last year they took away 2 marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

delta214 wrote: »
    Yeh like i said there is one book that has the aerial photo thing wrong.
    The correct way is the way Boink said. Horizon = Low, No horizon = High

EDIT: After some research it seems that the opposite is true. Varied accounts from the internet. Fantastic.

So horizon = high, no horizon= low? That's how I learned it, and answered in the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭delta214

Yeh there seems to be more places saying horizon = high than the other way round.
    Anyways, point is one of the books is wrong therefore everyone should get the marks :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

delta214 wrote: »
    Yeh there seems to be more places saying horizon = high than the other way round.
    Anyways, point is one of the books is wrong therefore everyone should get the marks :D:D

Unless they ticked vertical :p

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭quirkster

mattfender wrote: »
    characteristics of desert biome was so easy

i spoke bout :
    lack of precipitation
    floral adaption
    fauna adaption

conclusion and an intro

that ok you think?3 pages?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 oliveroldc

i am about 90% sure that that aerial photograph was low oblique. and the fault lines were as follows
    A=normal
    B=transform
    C=reverse
    D=transform

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Ri na hEireann

quirkster wrote: »
    i spoke bout :
    lack of precipitation
    floral adaption
    fauna adaption

conclusion and an intro

that ok you think?3 pages?

I did location and climate,Flora,Fauna....

6pages but I ran out of time in the end and only managed to half-write an answer on part C of my regional quaestion...Hoping to compensate with full marks in the biome though.

Boink08 wrote: »

And about the aerial photograph: I too had heard the rule that horizon = low oblique, no horizon = high oblique. So I'm thinking (and hoping :)) it was a high oblique.

it was,+4 marks?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

It was 200 percent low oblique, the camera is at a low angle and therefore is not taking the horizon.
    High=high angle=includes horizon.

Teacher told us after.

So i got 80 for short q's, 80 for biome, and the 3 part A's=60 marks.
    If i get 19 percent in my project, thats a b3 without counting my b's and c's............. SAVAGE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MaltEagle

That was the quickest 2 hours and 50 minutes of my life! I didn't feel the time pass, until the superintendent said '5 minutes left', got everything done, just about.

I did think the short questions were more diffucult than previous years though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

SRFC90 wrote: »
    Can someone confirm the amount of questions you need to do in each section!?

Answer the short questions, one questions from the physical geography, one from regional, one from electives, one from options

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 conormob

Yeah i loved the Higher level paper but the exam supervisor stopped the exam in my school as there was some confusion over what questions to answer in the ordinary paper, can someone tell me what the hell they were in about.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 conormob

Everyones talkin about how good they were writing pages and pages but that guy on the radio said almost every topic can get full markes if its about a page long its grade on how many valid points you made. I wrote a lot in the mocks but didnt cop on i had very little valid statements in it.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

muffinman wrote: »
    Anyone sure about the High or Low Oblique?

I haven't read through all the thread (1st 3 pages) but has this been answered? My mates and I were discussing it after as well I am fairly sure its High Oblique as in low oblique you can see the mountains if I am not mistaken.

EDIT: Never mind seen it above

only1stevo wrote: »
    It was 200 percent low oblique, the camera is at a low angle and therefore is not taking the horizon.
    High=high angle=includes horizon.

Teacher told us after.

So i got 80 for short q's, 80 for biome, and the 3 part A's=60 marks.
    If i get 19 percent in my project, thats a b3 without counting my b's and c's............. SAVAGE

jesus,at least your not short on confidence............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 dshalloo

I did location and climate,Flora,Fauna....

6pages but I ran out of time in the end and only managed to half-write an answer on part C of my regional quaestion...Hoping to compensate with full marks in the biome though.

I wrote about
    location climate
    soil
    flora
    fauna
    human interatction

Same with the regional just threw down bullet points when i ran out of time

Advertisement