Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography Exam

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭BULLER

Christaller's theory was a bitch.......

Overall good paper but I only wrote 2 pages for option!! I was so pissed off that the examiner wouldn't give us extra time!!

What the hell is Christallers theory?!
    I thought it was very easy - as usual the only hard thing about that exam is the time! Had to rush the last question...
    The biome question was beautiful. "Main Characteristics" - 3rd time its come up now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭life_is_music

How much is going for the fieldword?? 20 or 25%??

I was going for an A1 but the option ass raped me......
    Only got 2 pages written on biome so already lost out on lyk 40 marks = no A1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mattfender

you sure its all they accept? hmm added up marks i think i'd get there and looks like i did better than I thought...but i'll just have to wait and see:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

The paper is here in PDF

Pretty efficient, gotta give them that much..

Haha looking at that q11 again.. How ridiculous is that :pac:

BULLER wrote: »
    What the hell is Christallers theory?!
    I thought it was very easy - as usual the only hard thing about that exam is the time! Had to rush the last question...
    The biome question was beautiful. "Main Characteristics" - 3rd time its come up now!

Was so happy to see that...

• Advertisement

how come its up so fast?!

mattfender wrote: »
    you sure its all they accept?

No but they made the point of including it in the report.. So I dunno.. Anyone sure about the High or Low Oblique?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭fivetwenty

Yeah, Couldn't believe my home county for the pic this year.

And Christaller is the basing of settlements around towns, depending how big they are, what they produce etc.

will have to ask teacher! but no point now not gonna do geog anymore!!
    Q10 on short q's how did you get the % of ppl over 65 in 2005??

will have to ask teacher! but no point now not gonna do geog anymore!!
    Q10 on short q's how did you get the % of ppl over 65 in 2005??

Add up the two figures on top and subtract from 100% ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

Oh no.... I think I've answered the paper wrong.

I did 1 question, 2 then 1 when its meant to be 2, 1, 1.**** :(

What i did went went though.

OH MY SWEET LORD:eek:

How the effeweseekay did I make that mistake!? I blame my stomach ulcer for distracting me...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭SB-08

I really am not sure how I did. Part of me thinks I did terribly and waffled way too much. The short questions were grand, but the 1st region question with the growth of a urban area in India was really tricky, and I did'nt know what to write. The Irish map and Mezzogiorno was grand though, and the Interdependence section was fine, as was the economic section (I think I answered them correctly anyway). I never got time to do Section 1 of the long questions. That was my main problem. The sheer lack of time. How anyone could get it all finished with answering the questions well is beyond me. I could've done with another hour lol.:eek:

Time went way too fast.
    Ireland map i did so awful!! But they cant dock marks for not being an artist can they??! Got all the features in like.. Was wicklow mts a major feature of physical landscape?

Was wicklow mts a major feature of physical landscape?

Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

so anyone know the marking here...
    short questions correct, good biome and good project but slightly dodgey s2 and s3 would this get a C? Its actually wrecking my head :(

All that should get you a B.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

muffinman wrote: »
    No but they made the point of including it in the report.. So I dunno.. Anyone sure about the High or Low Oblique?

It was low oblique, Im about 80% sure (with my fingers crossed)

BJC wrote: »
    All that should get you a B.

I really really hope so! No c3...means no college next year..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭abcxyz123

ffs, thought it was high aswell. Grand paper.....option was easy....biome was soo vague....physical....meh.....regional nice.....did question 6 i think......and human elective.....q10 i think was ok......hopefully a high B

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

Can someone confirm the amount of questions you need to do in each section!?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

abcxyz123 wrote: »
    ffs, thought it was high aswell. Grand paper.....option was easy....biome was soo vague....physical....meh.....regional nice.....did question 6 i think......and human elective.....q10 i think was ok......hopefully a high B
    I put in low first, and then scratched it out and put in high at the end :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭1huge1

Look at the chief examiner's report from last year.. Highlights the mistakes made with this.. It's "Centre Middleground" and that's the only acceptable answer.. Kind of stupid.. I only found out about last week.. I'd say every book says Centre.. I wrote High Oblique but I dunno...

I was done with 10-15 mins to spare and hoping for an A1/A2... But there were a lot of people still writing...
    Damn I just said centre middle ah well.

Lovely paper, irish landform... everything I wanted came up. Answered every question very well and wrote loads. Timed it perfect, wrote so so fast and was finished with about 15mins to go, enough time to go over things drawings etc.

Twas a lovely paper indeed but matt could have studied more and not crammed!

Added up possible marks i think i got looks like c1 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Looks like a high oblique going from this!

http://www.aboveallphoto.com/stl/aerial.html

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭orangetictac

I did q1, 6, 10, 15

Overall, pretty happy. A fair paper.. Except one thing I'm beginning to doubt.. It said examine the cultural and/or economic impact of EU expansion on one member state.. I mistook it at the start, did the A and B part, and then when I came to it got a bit confused.. So I discussed the EU expansion of 1973 and its impacts on Ireland, and then the more recent expansions and their impacts on Irish economy and culture.. Now that I think about it should be ok..

Studied Atmosphere/Ocean Env. but did the Global Int question on desertification and global warming... Had so much to write about on it.. Wasn't too keen on the actual A/O Env. q's...

Short questions were reasonable except for that stupid weather map...

How u have 5 stars with so few comments??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭1huge1

I found it kind of funny after all the time I spent learning dublin, paris, mezzogiorno and the american south west all I needed was primary in the west of ireland (which I knew).
    Oh and drew a map of the mezzogiorno

• Registered Users Posts: 9 jay3110

Just wondering for a 30 mark question how long should your answer be??

blue-army wrote: »
    Looks like a high oblique going from this!

http://www.aboveallphoto.com/stl/aerial.html

Thank God!

jay3110 wrote: »
    Just wondering for a 30 mark question how long should your answer be??

Depends on the question.. Last year it varied from 9 to 14 SRPs

Year before less was required as they had coherency marks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭BULLER

Jakkass wrote: »
    I put in low first, and then scratched it out and put in high at the end :o

Me too! What did ye get for number 8 of the short questions? I thought that was the most tricky (theyre all fairly simple otherwise).
    I answered 12 of them so I think I've secured full marks there. :)

On question 3 part C "Examine, with reference to actual examples, the measurement and effects of earthquakes"
    I found it difficult to integrate my earthquake casestudy with the measurement. I could only really talk about that the seismograph measured X on the Richter scale and that the epicenter was triangulated using outposts... thats it. If the marks were split 50:50 between measurement and effects I'm fecked...

Advertisement