Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography Exam

Options
  • 06-06-2008 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

How did everyone get on?

Thought it was a nice paper - lots of common sense such as EU Expansion and trends in energy consumption.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭oleary91

I really liked it...Good questions...:eek:Can someone please help me..The question was about economic activities in Europe and I wrote loads about Italy then when I came out I started think is farming a economic activity...Can someone please tell me??and please say it is:D

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭DylanJames

it was very reasonable, I was happy enough. The short questions were very straight forward and the long ones were decent. Overall, a good paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Everything was grand apart from those damn C's. I found them very difficult to answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭life_is_music

Christaller's theory was a bitch.......

Overall good paper but I only wrote 2 pages for option!! I was so pissed off that the examiner wouldn't give us extra time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

oleary91 wrote: »
    I really liked it...Good questions...:eek:Can someone please help me..The question was about economic activities in Europe and I wrote loads about Italy then when I came out I started think is farming a economic activity...Can someone please tell me??and please say it is:D

i did the same. its fine.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mattfender

I did way better than my mocks..

Did 2 and a half pages on the desert biome including the diagrams and wrote all the main things..left out a C cos i ran out of time I think and had to skip and some things werent fully completed. Short questions were simple apart from the plate movement one...didnt understand that at all! And for the aeiral pic question was the answer "centre" or was is some fancy word you had to use? And it was a low oblique photo yeah?

So good field study, most right short q's and good enough biome essay and slightly dodgey at times section 2 and 3 would this get me a c3?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

The exams simply too long. Either make some of the question less long-winded or give us more time. Barely anyone in my class finished the exam.

Didn't expect so much emphasis on culture in the regional question tbh. That said, the short questions were sinch and Q1 of the physical wasn't too bad either. Nice geoecology essay too.

Elective and regional questions didn't go well for me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

I did q1, 6, 10, 15

Overall, pretty happy. A fair paper.. Except one thing I'm beginning to doubt.. It said examine the cultural and/or economic impact of EU expansion on one member state.. I mistook it at the start, did the A and B part, and then when I came to it got a bit confused.. So I discussed the EU expansion of 1973 and its impacts on Ireland, and then the more recent expansions and their impacts on Irish economy and culture.. Now that I think about it should be ok..

Studied Atmosphere/Ocean Env. but did the Global Int question on desertification and global warming... Had so much to write about on it.. Wasn't too keen on the actual A/O Env. q's...

Short questions were reasonable except for that stupid weather map...

I said center aswell....I ticked low oblique then scribbled it out and put in high:mad:

• Advertisement

deise59 wrote: »
    The exams simply too long. Either make some of the question less long-winded or give us more time. Barely anyone in my class finished the exam.

Didn't expect so much emphasis on culture in the regional question tbh. That said, the short questions were sinch and Q1 of the physical wasn't too bad either. Nice geoecology essay too.
    Elective and regional questions didn't go well for me though.

Good points and youre in the exact same sitiuation as me! I was so pressured cos I need this honour for college:eek:

mattfender wrote: »
    And for the aeiral pic question was the answer "centre" or was is some fancy word you had to use? And it was a low oblique photo yeah?

Look at the chief examiner's report from last year.. Highlights the mistakes made with this.. It's "Centre Middleground" and that's the only acceptable answer.. Kind of stupid.. I only found out about last week.. I'd say every book says Centre.. I wrote High Oblique but I dunno...
    deise59 wrote: »
    The exams simply too long.

I was done with 10-15 mins to spare and hoping for an A1/A2... But there were a lot of people still writing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭fivetwenty

I think I wrote more about History and Business Studies than Geography - but it was a damn easy paper!

The short Q's were hilarious, I had to look at the front of the page to make sure it's higher - just one thing, was Galway in a high or low oblique map? I said high based totally on the fact that I would be scared at that height! And was the Airport 1.3km?

fivetwenty wrote: »
    I said high based totally on the fact that I would be scared at that height! And was the Airport 1.3km?

I said High and yeah 1.35km

fivetwenty wrote: »
    I think I wrote more about History and Business Studies than Geography - but it was a damn easy paper!

The short Q's were hilarious, I had to look at the front of the page to make sure it's higher - just one thing, was Galway in a high or low oblique map? I said high based totally on the fact that I would be scared at that height! And was the Airport 1.3km?

pretty sure the airport was 1.3

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

i kicked ass in the biome an maybe the economic elective aswell..physical was terrible tho:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

oleary91 wrote: »
    is farming a economic activity...Can someone please tell me??and please say it is:D

Its a primary economic activity so ye id say your fine.

As a student who doesnt like geography, did hardly any study and only spent a half hour the night before studying Im quite happy with that exam.

The short Qs as always piece of piss. 80 marks.
    Then picked up plenty of marks on Part A's drawing graphs and so on. simple.
    Core physical, I was glad to see plate tectonics, more marks there. As for Karst landscape I talked about the burren and drew a carvern with stalimites etc. Another few marks gained.

After that I thought Id be fecked but it was fine. Commonsence, stuff you see on the news and business got me through. Tertitary activity in CORE region, talked about IFSC, LUAS metro, tourism, computer software. Made up a few snickey satistics too douth they'll check up on it!
    Energy consumtion, waffled about fuel prices, wind energy in Ire, geothermal in Iceland. Used the satistics from the graph in previous Q!! Got another nice 30 marks on the EU's CAP. Business again!
    Even the option I was sorted. General knowage of global warming and deforistation got me 2 A4s so should get me about half the marks!!

Nice C1 there id say :D

so anyone know the marking here...
    short questions correct, good biome and good project but slightly dodgey s2 and s3 would this get a C? Its actually wrecking my head :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

Lovely paper. The question on interational aid was beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

Thought the paper was fairly orgasmic. Usual, predictable stuff. A few weird short questions though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 mebabyme

soooooper paper, great variety and everything . . was very long though . .just managed to sqeeze everything in!!

however i did poke myself in the eye and was blinded for 10 minutes :cool:

ye i know . . smooooth

for the record i also said high oblique and 1.35 for the runway . . .;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 karkar

There were loads of graphs and maps as part A, and I think that messed up my timing a bit because normally the Part A just takes a few minutes...
    Asides from that, I think I just had a bit of an off day. The questions were pretty alright, but we barely covered economic geography so I just used my regional stuff and then general knowledge.
    I should be fine so long as it isn't marked too hard...

looking through my geog book now and it says you say "centre" for the centre of the photo....
    and looks like galway's a low oblique! High oblique is quite high!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 mebabyme

looking through my geog book now and it says you say "centre" for the centre of the photo....
    and looks like galway's a low oblique! High oblique is quite high!!

quite high??? ****e hahah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭melboix

Loved it, thought it was very fair. I messed up on a part C but otherwise I think it was all goood. Loved the Interdependence q's, g'wan Aid! :D

Also? Galway being the photo&map? Fan-fkn-tastic! :p

Guarantee you that your book is wrong.. All books say it though.. I'll get you a link in a minute

well if all books say it they should change the marking scheme! if so many students did it last year they should anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Ino112

Well, I found it was a good paper. Nothing too out abstract. Loved the physical and regional questions.

I'm afraid I totally forget the paper though :( Was in such a rush, got everything done, but had to do write in such a flash!

All round, a very nice paper indeed. Wrote 3 pages for the biome (which of course I thanked my lucky stars for appearing in the first place).

All my case studies came up in some form. Whoa! Can't wait till August :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

The paper is here in PDF:

In the part A of physical geography on sea floor spreading, are the arrows at 'y' convection currents or upwelling magma? I say covection because they described it as a 'process'

• Advertisement

http://examinations.ie/archive/examiners_reports/cer_2007/geography_lc_ce_report_2007_final_13_Feb_08.pdf

Page 13 of 23..

"Candidates should learn to use the correct system for referring to locations on oblique aerial photographs. It should be noted that the system recommended by the State Examinations Commission for its examinations is the following:"

and it has Centre Middleground

Advertisement