Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New provisional law

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭sk8board

There isn't really, the published lists are down to an average of 8.2 weeks,(http://www.drivingtest.ie/frameset.html) which is significantly down from a year ago when people had to wait a year. If you want to put yourself on a cancellation list you'll get one within a couple of weeks.

my DW applied for her test on hearing about this rule last October (remember they were originally going to introduce it with 3 days warning over the Oct bank holiday weekend?!)

She applied for cancellations each time (unfortunately took 3 attempts), and she got notice of each test only 2 weeks after (re)applying. i..e a waiting time of 2-3 weeks.

She had to apply to Finglas, which all the figures showed had the longest waiting lists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

peasant wrote: »
    You will find that that particular trait is not connected in any way to what licence people do or don't hold ...it seems to work on percentage ratio, unfortunately :D

Yeah true, more challenging driving tests perhaps? MUCH MORE CHALLENGING! Mondello?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Petrolium Hat

ShayK1 wrote: »

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

sk8board wrote: »
    my DW applied for her test on hearing about this rule last October (remember they were originally going to introduce it with 3 days warning over the Oct bank holiday weekend?!)

She applied for cancellations each time (unfortunately took 3 attempts), and she got notice of each test only 2 weeks after (re)applying. i..e a waiting time of 2-3 weeks.

She had to apply to Finglas, which all the figures showed had the longest waiting lists.

is DW your little sister?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

http://www.drivingtest.ie/Stats%20English.pdf thats a more specific link

Wow there is only a 6 week waiting list for Finglas according that that link. Thats very impressive considering there was an almost 1 year waiting list this time last year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It’s just enforcing what was already there.

It was much the same with the drink driving laws. People failed to see what was wrong with a few drinks but there was a crackdown and people’s attitudes have changed.
    10-15 years a huge amount of people never wore a seatbelt and if you watched a checkpoint, you’d see people frantically belting up. Some still do this but I’d guess well over 80% of people always wear their seatbelt. Again attitudes have changed.

In 3-4 years, we’ll look back at laugh at the days when people did their theory test and got their licence and drove away. :)

Hey, just my opinion and maybe it’s daft

the one that annoys me is that people can FAIL their driving test and then get back into car and drive home.

eh WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

kceire wrote: »
    how can it be justified when there is still a year of a waiting list in some test centres!
    Hanley wrote: »
    There's still ridiculously long waiting lists.

Ever wonder why the waiting lists are so long. There was a loophole in the system that meant all provisional drivers had to do to get a new provisional license was to apply for the test, not actually sit the test. So you had a huge percentage of cancellations or no shows. When the new law was introduced hundreds of thousands of provisional drivers applied for the test at roughly the same time, even crashing the driver test web server. Do I have any sympathy? NO!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

S.I.R wrote: »
    but my question for everyone here is: How can you learn how to drive if you Must have a Fully leisenced driver with you at all times... ?

It's pretty fu**ing simple, and thats the way the rest of the civilised world do it.

Take lessons with a qualified instructor who teaches you to drive, rather than arming yourself with a deadly weapon you have a rough idea of how to use it, rather than an in depth knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭token56

*Tripper* wrote: »
    Well I really hope they enforce it, easy for me to say as I passed my test with not one problem. But some learner drivers are such [EMAIL="ret@rds."]ret@rds.[/EMAIL]

True their alot learner drivers that are out on the road that shouldn't be their and I dont have a problem with the law being enforced.

What I do have a problem with is the debacle that is waiting for a driving test and the driving test itself. First if the waiting time is a disgrace. Having waited 6 months to get a date I received a letter from SGS telling me to ring them and they would give me a date. However when I rang them I was told the test centre (Portlaoise) was booked out and would be waiting a minimum 3 months (well after 30th June so pretty useless to me). I said this was ridiculous, that I was already waiting 6 months, they asked if their was any other centre I could do it in. I sort of know Tullamore so asked about there, I could get a date their for mid June so had know real option but to take that. After all this I was talking to a friend who applied for a test in the same centre 3 weeks ago (no cancellation, no letter from an employer) and got a date for later this month its crazy.

Besides this, it seems that different testers have different standards with regards whats acceptable or not acceptable. There is also the problem of quota's for the amount of drivers which are allowed to pass and which are not. I have a good friend who is a driving tester and has admitted this to me, that they are only allowed to pass a certain percentage, around 50%. This is just idiotic as the driving test then becomes in part a lottery as to what driving intructor you had, what sort of mood he is in and have many have already passed that day. If this was sorted out things would be alot better.

If things were to be done right, drivers should not be tested just once in your life, something like mandatory retesting every ten years or so to see if your still fit to drive. From what I have seen many drivers pick up bad habbits and would not pass the driving test if they were to take it today. Especially when some people got licenses in the post never having to do a test back when the postal strike happened.

• Advertisement

While you make alot of good points there (and some horrible spelling mistakes), the quality of the test is a separate issue.

The fact of the matter is that from July 1st it will be against the law for an L driver to drive unaccompanied... are you going to decide what laws you're going to follow and which ones to ignore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

token56 wrote: »
    There is also the problem of quota's for the amount of drivers which are allowed to pass and which are not. I have a good friend who is a driving tester and has admitted this to me, that they are only allowed to pass a certain percentage, around 50%.

Well if a driving instructor said this then that is good backup and proof for you but until I hear this for myself then I'll believe it's a urban myth

Did the tester tell you then never pass anyone on Monday mornings as they are grumpy and they pass everyone on Friday evening as they are looking forward to the weekend? :rolleyes:
    And don’t get me started on girls who are told to dress attractively for their test.
    I hear these stories also when someone talks about quotas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

The only reason you think you NEED a license is because society has told you.You believe its in your best interest.

Don't get me wrong, safety on the road is very important and you should know what you are doing but I think the whole thing is a joke.

I mean - at present you need a fully licensed driver with you on your 1st and 3rd provisional. Why not the 2nd?

Seriously - who comes up with this stuff?

Similar to whoever comes up with speed limits - the same people probably drive to work on city roads/ motorway everyday. I have seen some insanely high speed signs in my local area (taking the danger of the roads & amount of accidents into consideration).

Whats more is you can have a drink and drive once below the legal limit - but if you are sober with a provisional license you need a fully licensed driver with you.

Come on!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Leaner Permits were brought in on the 30th of October last year. The 30th of June deadline only applies to those still on provisional licenses, which means that anyone holding a 2nd provisional license will have to drive with a fully licensed driver who has held his/her license for 2 years or more after the 30th of June deadline.
    kceire wrote: »
    apply straight away, my sis only done hers yesterday after applying last september in finglas

Waiting times have dropped drastically, to the extent that a date for a test can be gotten in and average of 8 weeks, and as little as 4 weeks for a lot of Dublin test centres.

And just to note, come the day of your test you must be holding your learners permit for 6 months, you can apply for your test before having your license for months.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

token56 wrote: »
    . There is also the problem of quota's for the amount of drivers which are allowed to pass and which are not. I have a good friend who is a driving tester and has admitted this to me, that they are only allowed to pass a certain percentage, around 50%.

That is complete and utter rubbish, who ever told you that is a liar. The tester will pass you if you show your self to be a safe and capable driver in the brief drive around the block that is the Irish driving test. That does not make you a "good" driver, all it shows is that you can handle the very basics of driving safely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

^ Yes, absolute bollix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

iRock wrote: »
    The only reason you think you NEED a license is because society has told you.You believe its in your best interest.

Because society told us to. No I just think its a good idea that somebody should be tested before they get behind a wheel. I wouldn't try flying a plane on my own with no license?
    Don't get me wrong, safety on the road is very important and you should know what you are doing but I think the whole thing is a joke.

Sorry this is stupid. You agree that people should know what they are doing before but don't think this knowledge should be tested?
    I mean - at present you need a fully licensed driver with you on your 1st and 3rd provisional. Why not the 2nd?

Seriously - who comes up with this stuff

This is what they are fixing why are you giving out?
    Similar to whoever comes up with speed limits - the same people probably drive to work on city roads/ motorway everyday. I have seen some insanely high speed signs in my local area (taking the danger of the roads & amount of accidents into consideration).

Well I don't know your area so i cant comment. The actually think a lot of speed limits around my way are stupid but I still stick to them. I don't agree with them but its still the law.
    Whats more is you can have a drink and drive once below the legal limit - but if you are sober with a provisional license you need a fully licensed driver with you.

Come on!

I cant believe you are trying to compare someone under the legal limit to somebody on a provisional. They are completely separate issues.

Somebody driving on a provisional = somebody who has not demonstrated that they have the knowledge and ability to drive safely. There should be nobody on a provisional anymore unless they choose to be, by either not bothering to sit the test, by failing the test or they are in fact learner drivers.

Driving is a privilege not a right. You have to earn that privilege and remember that it can be taken away form you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ferris

Driving is a privilege not a right. You have to earn that privilege and remember that it can be taken away form you.

+1

What I wanted to say only only better:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 paddy reilly

This is a load of bollocks. im driving since me 17th birthday on the 2nd of april in me 02 golf disel on a learners permit. I have allready applied for a test only to be told i had to wait for 6 months to take a test. I just dont get why i want to do a test but the assholes in the goverment wont let me. so now i have to drive around without L plates just to get to where i need to go.Having a fully licensed driver is not an option for me what would the point in having a car then be? I need my car to get to school and work. i have covered 3500 miles in the last 2 months. i have been waved through many cheque points never stoped thank god.also to the people who are sitting up on there high horses in this thread. GET OVER YOURSELVES. I appologise to assholes for considering them in the same light as this countrys goverment its an insult to you.

This is a load of bollocks. im driving since me 17th birthday on the 2nd of april in me 02 golf disel on a learners permit. I have allready applied for a test only to be told i had to wait for 6 months to take a test. I just dont get why i want to do a test but the assholes in the goverment wont let me. so now i have to drive around without L plates just to get to where i need to go.Having a fully licensed driver is not an option for me what would the point in having a car then be? I need my car to get to school and work. i have covered 3500 miles in the last 2 months. i have been waved through many cheque points never stoped thank god.also to the people who are sitting up on there high horses in this thread. GET OVER YOURSELVES. I appologise to assholes for considering them in the same light as this countrys goverment its an insult to you.

The test is there for a reason, and so are the new regulations. Mostly to stop young inexperienced drivers being able drive around like lunatics without any experience. Up to recently these regulations have been largely overlooked by Gradaí, but on the learning to drive forum i'm reading more and more people being stopped and prosecuted for driving unaccompanied on learner permits.
    You've had no more than 2 months driving experience and yet you feel you should be allowed to do what you want? How did you get to school and work before April?
    As for saying what's the point in having a car? Learn, get your license and then you'll have all the time to enjoy your motor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭vectra

S.I.R wrote: »
    ... i agree with L plates but imo change them to green if the guys say a complete learner or the normal red if the guy has done the test before....

So you want green "L" Plates just to prove that you are not able to drive seeing as you failed your driving test ? :rolleyes::D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I think it's a load of **** this six month waiting list. I know a fella that has waited the six months, rarely bloody drives and passed his test. So now he is an in experienced driver on the irish roads. A load of ****.

For any1 who is seventeen and who has no interest in driving for another few months can just get there licence and then their six months it ticking away and they are gaining no experience. It's a load of **** for people who actually need a full licence.

*rant over*

ShayK1 wrote: »
    The fact of the matter is that from July 1st it will be against the law for an L driver to drive unaccompanied... are you going to decide what laws you're going to follow and which ones to ignore?

this is easily a law to ignore.

on july 1st hundreds of thousands of provisional drivers will continue about their daily commute as normal, without fully licened dirvers. After the first warning (assuming that ever occurs), some might get a fully licened driver to accompany them, the others will gladly continue until they are fined (which will only happen to a few). Then they will continue on until the next warning or fine.

so the choice is - flaunt this law and pay the €80 fine, or take someone with you every day to work, they then return in the evening, extra cost for their time, miles and petrol. It'll never work.
    Perhaps adding it to the penalty points system would change the mind-set, but not a small fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

This is a load of bollocks.

emm ...no.

It's the law ...which you are breaking. Knowingly and on purpose.

I hope that you get caught sooner rather than later, hopefully before your over-inflated self assuredness gets you or anyone else into trouble, hospital or a graveyard

flaunt this law and pay the €80 fine

Is the fine only €80?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

I think it's a load of **** this six month waiting list. I know a fella that has waited the six months, rarely bloody drives and passed his test. So now he is an in experienced driver on the irish roads. A load of ****.

So what just cause he doesn't drive much it's not fair?! When he does drive he clearly does it to the standard they want! There are plenty of experienced driver's on our roads who are more dangerous than one's who don't drive that much!

kmart6 wrote: »
    So what just cause he doesn't drive much it's not fair?! When he does drive he clearly does it to the standard they want! There are plenty of experienced driver's on our roads who are more dangerous than one's who don't drive that much!

Not necessarily. I've been in the car with him a few times and it would frighten you. Now that he has passed his test he has more or less forgotten any of the correct procedure he had learned. It;s impossible to have experience driving without actually driving. There's only so much u can read in a book.

the choice is - flaunt this law and pay the €80 fine, or take someone with you every day to work, they then return in the evening, extra cost for their time, miles and petrol. It'll never work.
    Perhaps adding it to the penalty points system would change the mind-set, but not a small fine.

The penalty for driving unaccompanied is not €80, more like a maximum fine of €1000 and a possible disqualification for driving unaccompanied on a learners permit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Your first sentence is obviously referring to the rest of your post.

Someone needs a lot more "skoolin" and a little less "drivin"

I'd love to meet a "cheque point" Do they come in brown envelopes?
    Is this a new government initiative to get people to learn to drive proper?

• Advertisement

The penalty for driving unaccompanied is not €80, more like a maximum fine of €1000 and a possible disqualification for driving unaccompanied on a learners permit.

the first fine may even be less than €80, but its not more. The maximum fine this traffic law allows is €1000 after a court date. I doubt anyone will get to that stage.

Advertisement