Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New provisional law

Options
  • 04-06-2008 1:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

What's the craic with the new provisional thats coming out at the end of the month?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055176756

scroll down to the "Changes to the Driver Licensing System"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 chris11

phutyle wrote: »

Thanks.Do you think they will actually inforce this law strictly?What do they expect provisional drivers to do?I will have to ask a friend to come round to my house so I can drive my car and then tell them to get the bus home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

chris11 wrote: »
    Thanks.Do you think they will actually inforce this law strictly?What do they expect provisional drivers to do?I will have to ask a friend to come round to my house so I can drive my car and then tell them to get the bus home.

or go pass your test?

ShayK1 wrote: »
    or go pass your test?

I'll be getting insured for the first time in a few days, how long will have to wait to pass my test?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I hope they enforce it. It'll be a waste of time otherwise.

Almost every country in the world requires learner drivers to be accompanied, and many place time, speed and vehicle power restrictions on them too, so don't go thinking that you're being hard done by. The purpose of a learner permit (provisional licences are being phased out now), is to learn to drive - not to get to work, go to the shops, etc.

So, the short answer to "what do they expect us to do" is

1. Get some lessons from a competent, professional driving instructor.
    2. Get whatever practice you can in the company of a suitably licenced driver.
    3. Pass your test.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

or go pass your test?

while agreeing with your comment, how can it be justified when there is still a year of a waiting list in some test centres!

I'll be getting insured for the first time in a few days, how long will have to wait to pass my test?

dunno, but I'd suggest applying now... if you think you're up to passing it.
    Otherwise, take lessons until you're good enough to pass and then apply.

kceire wrote: »
    while agreeing with your comment, how can it be justified when there is still a year of a waiting list in some test centres!

find a test center with a smaller waiting list?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

dunno, but I'd suggest applying now... if you think you're up to passing it.
    Otherwise, take lessons until you're good enough to pass and then apply.

apply straight away, my sis only done hers yesterday after applying last september in finglas

Almost every country in the world requires learner drivers to be accompanied, and many place time, speed and vehicle power restrictions on them too, so don't go thinking that you're being hard done by. The purpose of a learner permit (provisional licences are being phased out now), is to learn to drive - not to get to work, go to the shops, etc.

3. Pass your test.

+1

• Advertisement

i dont think this law is practical,both my mother and my brother are on provisionals,a lot of my mates will be away for the summer.I don't know anyone with a full liscense who could be bothered driving to my house just to get in my car,so how am I supposed to drive?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

or go pass your test?

That's ridiculous. You can't just "go pass your test". There's still ridiculously long waiting lists. If they want this system to work, and for it to be fair, you have to be able to sit a test with minimal waiting times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

3. Pass your test.

+1

I too hope that this will be enforced strictly.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

well, all my family live in another county and i have no one around me with a full licence. so i just wont be driving my car on the 1st July unless i pass my test in the meantime.

In fairness, i dont know why you are bitching, you have all know about this since last october. Guess what, sometimes there are rules in life which suck

i dont think this law is practical,both my mother and my brother are on provisionals,a lot of my mates will be away for the summer.I don't know anyone with a full liscense who could be bothered driving to my house just to get in my car,so how am I supposed to drive?

until you're a compedent driver I don't think you are. That's the point.
    You get lessons, you do a test, IF you pass... then you can drive on your own.

Hanley wrote: »
    That's ridiculous. You can't just "go pass your test". There's still ridiculously long waiting lists. If they want this system to work, and for it to be fair, you have to be able to sit a test with minimal waiting times.

as IrishBird mentioned, its not like this was sprung on you from nowhere. Its been coming since October '07.
    If people haven't done anything about getting a full license in the pass 7 months (and there's another few weeks to go till June 30th) then its their own fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Driving test wait times are down, I dont think any centre now has a year long wait.

If you dont have an fully licensed driver to go with then you will have to pay for lessons.

If you are only about to be insured for the first time you shouldn't be on the road on your own for ages yet.

I recommend get your provisional licence.
    Apply for your test.
    Getting driving lessons with a fully qualified instructor.
    Pass the test.

What do you want to happen that you can just go in get a license and be let drive all in one day. You have to learn first FFS.

Besides it has always been the law that you are not aloud drive without an unaccomapnied driver unless you were on your second provisional. So unless you are on a second provisonal these "new" laws dont effect you. Oh and if your mother and brother are on provisonal shouldn't they have sorted out their test by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ferris

Its the same old attitude of people thinking that the state owes them a licence, the fact is that a driving licence has to be earned, that way people will take more care in keeping it.

Why hasn't some firm like SGS come up with a week long intensive driving course with a licence at the end. Such a course could cover skid recovery, car control etc. It'd be the way to do it and I reakon that a lot of people would go for it.

Ferris wrote: »
    Its the same old attitude of people thinking that the state owes them a licence, the fact is that a driving licence has to be earned, that way people will take more care in keeping it.

Why hasn't some firm like SGS come up with a week long intensive driving course with a licence at the end. Such a course could cover skid recovery, car control etc. It'd be the way to do it and I reakon that a lot of people would go for it.

Firstly the SGS is an third party company that have had driving test outsourced to them. They have no say over the content of the test etc..

Are you saying this is the only way you should be able to get a license? As expecting people to take a week out of their lives (work, children) etc would be asking a bit much I feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

Well I really hope they enforce it, easy for me to say as I passed my test with not one problem. But some learner drivers are such ret@rds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

*Tripper* wrote: »
    But some learner drivers are such ret@rds.

You will find that that particular trait is not connected in any way to what licence people do or don't hold ...it seems to work on percentage ratio, unfortunately :D

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Petrolium Hat

Hanley wrote: »

There isn't really, the published lists are down to an average of 8.2 weeks,(http://www.drivingtest.ie/frameset.html) which is significantly down from a year ago when people had to wait a year. If you want to put yourself on a cancellation list you'll get one within a couple of weeks. There's no excuse other not being bothered/not being up to standard.

I hope they enforce it. They only enforce speeding limits on straight roads on sunny days so I can't see it happening significantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ferris

Firstly the SGS is an third party company that have had driving test outsourced to them. They have no say over the content of the test etc..

They could still do the standard test at the end of the couse. I reakon the government, RSA etc would support someone taking on the problem of poor driver training for them.
    Are you saying this is the only way you should be able to get a license? As expecting people to take a week out of their lives (work, children) etc would be asking a bit much I feel.

I didn't say it should be the only way. But I don't think its asking too much for someone to take 'a week out of their lives' to learn how to drive to a good standard. It may save their life someday. Certainly when people will have to be accompanied while they wait for a test this option could be an attractive one.

There isn't really, the published lists are down to an average of 8.2 weeks,(http://www.drivingtest.ie/frameset.html) which is significantly down from a year ago when people had to wait a year. If you want to put yourself on a cancellation list you'll get one within a couple of weeks. There's no excuse other not being bothered/not being up to standard.

I hope they enforce it. They only enforce speeding limits on straight roads on sunny days so I can't see it happening significantly.

http://www.drivingtest.ie/Stats%20English.pdf thats a more specific link

Ferris wrote: »
    They could still do the standard test at the end of the couse. I reakon the government, RSA etc would support someone taking on the problem of poor driver training for them.

I didn't say it should be the only way. But I don't think its asking too much for someone to take 'a week out of their lives' to learn how to drive to a good standard. It may save their life someday. Certainly when people will have to be accompanied while they wait for a test this option could be an attractive one.

I agree on both your points. Once there is the current option still available to people as well. i.e getting lessons in your own time, practicing with a qualified driver etc etc.

Your idea would certainly be an attractive option to some people, but others might like to learn in a less pressured enviroment.

EDIT: Unfortunantly its one problem at time. Getting the driving test times down (largely accomplished), and getting people who have never passed or bothered to attempt the test off the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

The amount of L plates I still see on the M50 beggars belief, unfortunately the chances of this law being enforced going by the guards past record is slim to none, people will just take off their L plates.

Younger people in this country have had it way too easy getting insured on Mommy or Daddy's car with no real incentive to take the test. There are so many L drivers around where I live that tear around the place with their mates in the car with them it's not funny.

As has been mentioned numerous times here, this has been coming for well over a year, the test waiting times are way down, those moaning about it are simply too lazy to apply and go through the correct channels to get their licence. As it requires a bit of study and a fair bit of practise.

I really hope they crack down hard, it will ultimately make the roads safer for all of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

the new law is B.S !

you need a leaner permit, but you need a fulyl leisenced driver at all times and L plates.... i agree with L plates but imo change them to green if the guys say a complete learner or the normal red if the guy has done the test before....

as far as the fully leisenced driver part... id be blessed to have anyone get into a car with me....

not that im dangerous or anything but most people i know are on prov. 2+

but my question for everyone here is: How can you learn how to drive if you Must have a Fully leisenced driver with you at all times... ?

doesnt fully make sence with me...

S.I.R wrote: »

but my question for everyone here is: How can you learn how to drive if you Must have a Fully leisenced driver with you at all times... ?

my question to YOU is How can you learn how to drive if you DON'T have a fully licensed driver there to instruct you?

Trial and Error doesn't work to well here man......

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's pretty simple really, if you don't have the full licence you don't drive.
    Take the bus or whatnot.
    I know it's a terrible inconvenience but L plates has been getting away for too long, while everyone is complaining about the standard of driving in this country.

Stop complaining, everywhere else in Europe (World?) that's how it works.
    That IS how you learn. The real driver can explain things to you so you don't have to guess by yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

S.I.R wrote: »
    the new law is B.S !

you need a leaner permit, but you need a fulyl leisenced driver at all times and L plates.... i agree with L plates but imo change them to green if the guys say a complete learner or the normal red if the guy has done the test before....

as far as the fully leisenced driver part... id be blessed to have anyone get into a car with me....

not that im dangerous or anything but most people i know are on prov. 2+

Cough*Spelling*Cough

Anyhoo, if you don't have a fully licensed driver at your disposal, it's your responsibility to get lessons, like anything else in life you can't just pick and choose which laws you approve of and which ones you don't.
    If you can't afford lessons, and don't have anyone to sit with you then you aren't qualified to get behind the wheel of a car in the first place.

Advertisement