Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Irish 'Punk' group

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Fallen Buckshot

well technically they are "Irish American" but Flogging Molly is pretty damn good
    and also the Pogues

and Joe Strummers granny was Irish right ?:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭OLP

Your all ****ing dopes, off all the people who have posted on this thread I've seen approximately 4 of you at punk gigs. SAPS!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

In fairness matey , i dont go to punk gigs anymore, but i do drop my son off at the so called "punk" gigs......:D

Was'nt Jello Biafra's uncle oirish.....?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

What gigs are these?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Angus MacGyver

OLP wrote: »
    Your all ****ing dopes, off all the people who have posted on this thread I've seen approximately 4 of you at punk gigs. SAPS!

I see your point Über Punk, To be allowed to have an opinion on who is the best Irish punk band you have to go to gigs nowadays to really appreciate the classic irish punk bands of the 70's and 80's. Because all the punk gigs today are full of posers and wannabee f***ks like you and your ilk.

• Advertisement

OLP wrote: »

You know, I've never seen you at a punk gig? So that mean that you're not punk either?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Lig OFE

Evil Elviss... i enjoy it anyway... they're from athlone... and seein as the discussions goin this way ; who decides what punk is? and also where can i find a punk gig these days??

I see your point Über Punk, To be allowed to have an opinion on who is the best Irish punk band you have to go to gigs nowadays to really appreciate the classic irish punk bands of the 70's and 80's. Because all the punk gigs today are full of posers and wannabee f***ks like you and your ilk.
    That's a fairly gneralised opinion of the people who go to gigs these days. What gigs have you been going to that are full of these people? I see very few posers at any gigs, tbh. It's mostly people who wanna drink and listen to good music :p

For upcoming gig details keep an eye on:

http://www.thumped.com/bbs/forumdisplay.php?f=14

dregin wrote: »
    What gigs are these?

Well theres Greenday, Mc Fly, Good Charlotte........:D:D:D

"Punk is dead."..CRASS......the best punk band ever...

How many "Punks"..out there live in a squat, go and get yer dole money and scrape enough money together to get a cheap s**t guitar and amp...None, think you'll find they all have jobs, drive home to Mammy's 3 bed semi in the suburbs ,get daddy to buy/ loan the dosh to get their guitars/kit etc....

Punk WAS......o.k granted there are a few guys thrashing out some "punk" sounding stuff (check out Septic Pussy .on you tube) .....The days of angry youth with no future are long gone....
    Carry on doing what you're doing guys but dont get at us non-REAL punks for expressing our views......

Btw....Septic Pussy..BEST IRISH PUNK BAND EVER..!.

Happy now....;)

spa

• Advertisement

Sids Not wrote: »
    Carry on doing what you're doing guys but dont get at us non-REAL punks for expressing our views......

I didn't get at anyone. I just don't like the way the Dublin scene is lumped in with this MTV driven, image machine.

I really don't get what your trying to say? You seem to think that ALL punk these days is Greenday, Mc Fly, Good Charlotte and middle class "rebels"

You clearly don't have a clue about what the punk scene in Dublin is like, you think there's nothing wrong with our society? That there's no problems worth singing about? That everythings perfect now? Crass fixed everything?

Cop on

Who's the spa now...:rolleyes:...in my day blah blah...:p

I'm not having a go at anyone dregin.....just getting MY OPINION across that punk was a phase in music..like prog , disco ,ska oi! ,new romantic etc...it was a brief period in rock music ..thats not to say there's still not people carrying on their likes in garages and bedsits all over the place...
    I was there in those punk days...people called me a punk because of what i wore and how i had my hair..but i never considered myself one ,just liked the music and scene...maybe i was a wanna be poser ,but then again everyone else was too....
    What i got out of it was a greater appreciation of music...now i listen to everything , John Peel was my all time favorite jock...and he opened my ears to all music inc. all of the above to which i can add reggee ,dub, ...
    I still have all my old punk vinyl which i listen to regularly along with new stuff too....wont drag this on any longer...but i cant really pick a best irish punk band as they were all good ..in my day..;)

Sids Not wrote: »
    Jesus guys..i'm like reading this like thread thingy and i'm like really upset that no one has like even mentioned the best like punk band in Ireland and possibly the world man...
    In my local wine bar in D4 they like play them non stop to get us pogo-ing , christ sometimes i even take like my sweater off and leave it somewhere like safe, its Ralph Lauren you know....AND i have them playing constantly like on the cd player in the Porche.....
    My fave album is deffo like...WAR.........:D:D:D

If that's what punk is/was to you that's fine. But your original post which I have quoted and your other posts smack of "I was there in the day so I know more than you"

Lighten up man.....dont you see all the smiley faces......christ ,you think i like U2...:confused:...I DID see them in the Dandeloin and i wanted my 50p back..I despise them...theyre the ones i was having a go at ...they didnt just jump on the bandwagon.they bought the fu**ing thing and sold seats ....
    I have a great respect for young guys playing "proper" instruments...we need these guys to keep music from turning into more crap from the X-factor(y)..The point i'm trying to make is that the whole "Punk" thing is gone (IMO)..Carry on making punk sounding music if you want ,i'll not object...
    Dont think i'll ever be ever able to put my point across properly so i'll leave it for now.....end of..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Fly High

It's hilarious when someone who used to listen to Crass when they were younger thinks they know punk in Ireland today. The scenes in Dublin, Belfast and Galway are thriving.
    Just because you aren't out at gigs every week like other people doesn't mean they're not on.

As for best Irish group... I couldn't pick, too many good ones I think...

I cant get my point across ,so read this.......
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punk_rock

You'll notice the term "punk" is referred to in the past tense.......

This is my last post on this subject......get back to what this thread is about..;)

Fair enough

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

Blood Or Whiskey.

Always had a soft spot for The Vipers....saw them with the Clash and the Jam....couple of other times too around the city...good blokes too;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Black NG-60-90

Lig OFE wrote: »
    Evil Elviss... i enjoy it anyway...
    Are they still going????? Jesus haven't heard from them in yonks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Marc Agony wrote: »
    Deffo Paranoid Visions, I also remember enjoying Not Our World, Three Ring Psychosis, Ciunas, some three piece from Tallaght at the SNUFF New Inn Gig that I never heard of again (anyone help me out there?) SLF, Gash Factory from Waterford

OMG, theres a blast. Was the drummer with Gash Factory.
    We were so punk, we barely owned gear and thrashed most of the gigs we did.
    Could tell ye stories dude, if I could remember any of it :)
    R.I.P. Keith

HB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭thegrove54

The Upgrades or Home Star Runner

Now it's just taking the piss :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

Stiff Little Fingers.

The ultimate Irish one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 The Lilywhite

Stiff Little Fingers.

The ultimate Irish one.
    Good call brilliant band

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Been listening a lot of Stiff Little Fingers lately. Love em!!!
    "Suspect Device"!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 mrtaylor1981

Eoghanacht wrote: »
    Best Irish "Punk" groups?

I'd like to say S.I.N, Eht Egnarts, Penitent and Shangwangpangdang but these bands were only going a short while in the early and mid 90's and never played outside Tipperary or released anything, so I'll have to go for Ciunas, Striknien DC, Paranoid Visions, Toxic Waste, Stalag 17 and Nun Attaks.
    The Nun Attaks - they were from Cork ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

yep, they were....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭thegrove54

yer mots a dog anyone member em??

Advertisement