Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Irish 'Punk' group

Options
  • 03-06-2008 11:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I hate the term 'punk' because it is just a big contradiction, anyway, who do people reckon are the best Irish band with any sort of punk influence in their sound?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

The person who starts the thread usually makes a few suggestions themselves.....

Anyway, currently playing I'd go for either Runnin Riot or The Excuses. Of all time it would probably be between Striknien DC, Skint or............ Runnin Riot again :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Freebooters tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭suspectdevice

Droppin Bombs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Stiff Little Fingers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

The Keltic Klan...Napalm Sunday...The Pretty :confused:
    Showing me age here lads...

• Advertisement

Heh, those might be makin their way into that collection of covers of old Irish bands Paranoid Visions are doin atm. First one is an atrix cover, I think... they're doin a few more over the next year. It's on 12"+CD.

OH MY GOD!

I love punk! My favourite punk band is GREENDAY!! :p

I hate the term 'punk' because it is just a big contradiction, anyway, who do people reckon are the best Irish band with any sort of punk influence in their sound?

i never really picked up on this. why do you hate the term punk, and why do you think it is such a contradiction?

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

SLF "BARBED WIRE LOVE"

met you in no mans land

• Advertisement

across the wire we were holding hands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 peter jones

dregin wrote: »
    Heh, those might be makin their way into that collection of covers of old Irish bands Paranoid Visions are doin atm. First one is an atrix cover, I think... they're doin a few more over the next year. It's on 12"+CD.

yes thats correct.

first one, out now is covers by the atrix, that threat and dc nein

theres loads of material to choose from so the rest of the series will be drawn from a list fo our favourites

second one out later this year will feature the years 81 - 84 -ish and we are looking at stuff from the pretty, doom and gloom, napalm sunday, abnormal, drunken jury maybe wild herrings and those kind of seriously underground bands, we will probably tag a track from us from 1983 on it too and can treat it a a single from our next album

third one will have the likes of real wild west, pleasure cell, golden horde, gorehounds, princess tinymeat etc

cheers

P.A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

What years were The Atrix, That Threat and Dc Nein from?

Cheers for the info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Eoghanacht

Best Irish "Punk" groups?

I'd like to say S.I.N, Eht Egnarts, Penitent and Shangwangpangdang but these bands were only going a short while in the early and mid 90's and never played outside Tipperary or released anything, so I'll have to go for Ciunas, Striknien DC, Paranoid Visions, Toxic Waste, Stalag 17 and Nun Attaks.

What years were The Atrix, That Threat and Dc Nein from?

Cheers for the info

Don't know about the other two but I think DC nein were going in the late 70's

The worst punk band ever to come from Ireland has to be The Steam Pig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭gogglebok

dregin wrote: »

They're up on Youtube somewhere doing Treasure on the Wasteland.

Eoghanacht wrote: »
    The worst punk band ever to come from Ireland has to be The Steam Pig.

No....no...no!:eek:

That coveted title belongs to the esteemed On/Off followed closely by Mixtwitch.

I have Potshots by The Steam Pig, it's not great but at the same time it's not terrible.

Best irish punk band for me would probably have to be Brawl. Ciunas, Striknein Dc and Stomach are all pretty great too though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭djScarey

SLF, of course. Radiators from Space, Revolver and the Vipers were the biggies when punk struck Ireland first.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Two pages in and no one has mentioned The Undertones?

For shame...

• Advertisement

The Undertones were deemed "New Wave", no??? The Boomtown Rats were originally more punky than the Undertones, imo.

The real shame is the absence of the Golden Horde:

Nevevr really got the appeal of The Golden Horde, they always just seemed like a cheap Ramones imitation to me.

Gout sounded were pretty cool though.:pac:

I've still never actually heard Brawl even though I travelled up to Dublin to see them specifically play when I was younger, but got too drunk and fell asleep outside the gig.

The Radiators and the Undertones were never punk just new wave. I never liked that Stomach either.

Maybe the thread heading should have said Best Irish "HARDCORE PUNK" groups or is that me getting on my elitist trip again?

The Radiators were considered "punk" long before "New Wave" was invented. Perhaps you should have named the thread "snobby hardman punk", Eoghanacht.

djScarey wrote: »
    The Radiators were considered "punk" long before "New Wave" was invented. Perhaps you should have named the thread "snobby hardman punk", Eoghanacht.

Maybe I should have!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 My 2 Cents

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

Dundalk's only one....so i would say they are the best in dundalk.....:D

'The Gakk'.....check them out on myspace.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Runnin' Riot from Belfast. Fantastic. Streetpunk stuff.

Sir Killalot released a great CD I have upstairs somewhere that is worth checking out.

From the old school, it's all about The Radiators From Space :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭marvin2k

giveamanamother****ingkick

Advertisement