Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Went to the Eastern Seaboard yesterday for lunch. Had to see what the fuss was about ;). Food was lovely. Had the chicken wings they were very tasty. But the staff were so unpleasant. No smiles no chat and no check back to see if the food was ok or if we needed anything else. They all had long faces on them. But the food was really nice and not bad value at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bottomdog

Too right about the Sea Board, it's understaffed, hard to get a drink let alone food at times...

The new Chinese Peony where Lemon Grass used to be is now open, It's quite good, and pretty cheap too....food is fresh.....worth a visit if you like chinese

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Famous45

Might get a take out from Peony this weekend, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Had dinner in Bella atina last night. Absolutely lovely, highly recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Whats people's oppinion of the new sushi place on narrow west street, sakura noodles i think its called.

I was in it twice with the missus. I hate fish, but she likes it. The good thing here is that they do other food, like burgers and chips (What i got!!) She got shushi, and she didnt like it too much. I gave it a go, still hate fish, if not more now!!

Burgers and taco chips were lovely!!!

Had a take-away from Peony on Friday evening and not to sound too harsh about it, but it was very ordinary.

Famous45 wrote: »
    Had a take-away from Peony on Friday evening and not to sound too harsh about it, but it was very ordinary.

Was it better than china garden, and (scrapping the bottom of barrel) golden bowl?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

Had dinner in Bella atina last night. Absolutely lovely, highly recommended.
    Was there too on Sat night...arrived in relatively late but we were well looked after...had the Penne Arrabiata...very spicy but very tasty too...enjoyed it...

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

Tangos is the way forward!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Kaylee

My family and I had lunch yesterday in Harry's Bar & Grill.

I hadn't been in it for a few months, they have changed the decor slightly, it's much better as the tables don't seem to be as close together anymore. The front bar is lovely for a drink before or after.

Fairly limited menu - good plain food! A choice of 3 starters (soup, garlic mushrooms and something else) and around 5 mains (Chicken wrapped in bacon, Turkey & Ham, Lamb and Beef or Salmon) and 5 deserts (the usual ones). The food was however was lovely and a nice sized portion - everybody enjoyed it. and also very good value - all mains were €11.50 incl. side order of veg.

It was surprisingly quiet for 3pm on a Sunday given the affordability of the menu and the nice place that it is. I Couldn't help thinking that somewhere like the Black Bull would be packed at that time.

Kaylee wrote: »
    My family and I had lunch yesterday in Harry's Bar & Grill.

I hadn't been in it for a few months, they have changed the decor slightly, it's much better as the tables don't seem to be as close together anymore. The front bar is lovely for a drink before or after.

Fairly limited menu - good plain food! A choice of 3 starters (soup, garlic mushrooms and something else) and around 5 mains (Chicken wrapped in bacon, Turkey & Ham, Lamb and Beef or Salmon) and 5 deserts (the usual ones). The food was however was lovely and a nice sized portion - everybody enjoyed it. and also very good value - all mains were €11.50 incl. side order of veg.

It was surprisingly quiet for 3pm on a Sunday given the affordability of the menu and the nice place that it is. I Couldn't help thinking that somewhere like the Black Bull would be packed at that time.

Okay, every now and then someone pops up on this thread with an Irish Times like positive review of Eastern Seaboard. But.....I cannot agree...the seating is as close as ever unless they were glued before, service is wicked, a tip is to sit with your back to the windows so you can get attention when the waitresses emerge.....the food is quite good, and the bar is also good for a drink afterwards, but it is NOT cheap.....and they don't like customers comments too much.

Was it better than china garden, and (scrapping the bottom of barrel) golden bowl?

Yes, better than both of those. The take-away menu is quite nice and relatively good priced. I had a chinese out of Navan recently, will post the name another time, and it was delicious. That's the 2nd place in Navan we've found that's very tasty. Out of Peony we had chicken-curry, chips & honey wings, all very ordinary though.

Tango's is exceptional and they have lowered their very high price list a little lower which is helpful, although the chicken curry again is very ordinary, everything else from there is delicious.

Oh just to add I might have given the odd bad review of Donegans in the past on here, I'm not too sure, I did go off the place for a while but returned last week and had breast of chicken deep fried (must add it was nice done and not really crispy) on the top of a gammon steak. The sides of coleslaw and chips with it made it such a very very tasty dish and only €17. Will def return for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Trafford Lad

Not sure if anyone tried the new look "Village Kebabish" in James's St? So far I've only had a couple of nice kebabs but they have a full Indian menu so I must try out some of the other dishes, I think they might have a restaurant upstairs but methinks the Take Away is where they'll do their business. Nice food.

Not sure if anyone tried the new look "Village Kebabish" in James's St? So far I've only had a couple of nice kebabs but they have a full Indian menu so I must try out some of the other dishes, I think they might have a restaurant upstairs but methinks the Take Away is where they'll do their business. Nice food.
    No not yet but will try it soon

Oh just to add I might have given the odd bad review of Donegans in the past on here, I'm not too sure, I did go off the place for a while but returned last week and had breast of chicken deep fried (must add it was nice done and not really crispy) on the top of a gammon steak. The sides of coleslaw and chips with it made it such a very very tasty dish and only €17. Will def return for it.
    Donegans, yes well they dropped their steak prices from being extremely high, to being just very high, but a step in the right downward direction, but are the stteaks as good was yesteryear....not so sure. ...nice scampi!!:)

Yes it is pretty typical Chinese, but the equal of most of the others other there, wouldn't it be great if a top class Chinese arrived....I think Tango is the No 1 at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Kaylee

bottomdog wrote: »
    Okay, every now and then someone pops up on this thread with an Irish Times like positive review of Eastern Seaboard. But.....I cannot agree...the seating is as close as ever unless they were glued before, service is wicked, a tip is to sit with your back to the windows so you can get attention when the waitresses emerge.....the food is quite good, and the bar is also good for a drink afterwards, but it is NOT cheap.....and they don't like customers comments too much.

Eh... I was talking about Harry's Bar and Grill?

regarding the eastern seaboard. I complained and got a nice reply to go down for coffee with the owner to chat about my comments. Will head down soon and let you know.

• Advertisement

gonker wrote: »
    regarding the eastern seaboard. I complained and got a nice reply to go down for coffee with the owner to chat about my comments. Will head down soon and let you know.

Thats pretty sound of them. I complained in a resturaunt once for shítty food and service... I got a 10e voucher.

Kaylee wrote: »
    Eh... I was talking about Harry's Bar and Grill?

Kaylee, I aplogise getting my restaurant names mixed up wrong thinking of the Black Bull comparison. Sorry Harrys too......But the comments relate to the seaboard restaurant as I wrote:)

That's excellent,they are a new restaurant and finding their feet I guess....but the food is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Very good. Ask them if they know what the expression 'shill' means. ;)

Dingatron wrote: »
    Very good. Ask them if they know what the expression 'shill' means. ;)

Yes, and I made a complaint to Ryanair about their service and guess what ? They have invited me around for afternoon tea and scones ,sevred with fresh Jersey cream and Darina Allen jam to discuss everything:D. Somehow I doubt it.:cool:

Oh just wanted to say to Gonker, I know you edit in good faith and give genuine comments, it's just that the Eastern Seaboard is not exactly known for its customer service, even if its food is good etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 irishwarrior

Pizzaria_Even though it looks like you stepped through a time warp and when you ring up to make a reservation you get barked at down the phone by a scary, irate italian(great Chef) when you actually get in, the food in my opinion really is the best in town..

Oriental Palace is the chinese I mentioned in Navan, opposite the shopping centre and around the corner from the garda station. The food is delicious. Had a fillet beef dish the other night and last night had fillet beef tai wan, yum yum is all I can say. Chicken wings (10) for €4 odd are fantastic check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭furiousox

Chancos beside the old Mexx shop are doing a 4 course meal for 17.50 per person. l think it runs monday-thursday.
    We were there last night and it was fine, can't really complain for that price!
    We had a mixed starter for 2 (ribs, spring rolls, sesame toast etc) then soup (hot & sour) then main course (Mrs had beef in black bean sce, l had duck, and there must have been about 20 quids worth of duck meat on the plate!) followed by coffee.
    There were only about 4 other people there so hard to see what more they can do pricewise to entice people in, but great value for 17.50 :)

CPL 593H

• Advertisement

bottomdog wrote: »
    Oh just wanted to say to Gonker, I know you edit in good faith and give genuine comments, it's just that the Eastern Seaboard is not exactly known for its customer service, even if its food is good etc etc.
    :rolleyes: Well I went down the other day but the owner wasnt there. I just had my two daughters with me and we had a few starters and I must say the service was so much improved. They actually smiled at me and checked back to the table and brought me extra sauce etc. So much more improved. I am still going to go down and chat with the owner though.

Advertisement