Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,940 ✭✭✭furiousox

aloevera wrote: »
    hey,

loving this thread. thinking of going for a meal this between in the next week - we are looking for somewhere to mark a special occasion - we like anything but seafood, indian and a crazy prices..

liking the sound of tangos, and anywhere that does a set menu.
    are there any italian restaurants in drogheda at the moment offering a set menu for good price?

D vine sounds lovely too however menu seems a bit too different for me (im a plain jane sometimes..) :o

How about Scholars?
    Nice for a special occasion

CPL 593H

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    Has anyone reviewed "Romanza"?

I've only been once, it was about 3 weeks after it opened.
    Food was ok nothing more, and the service was appalling.
    l had to ask for the bill 3 times and l said to the waitress "lf l don't get the bill this time l'm leaving without paying"
    Suffice to say the bill arrived soon after.
    Like l said it was only open a few weeks so l'd be curious to give it another shot to see if its improved.
    Anyone been there recently?

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭tweety76

Hi,

Has anyone tried this yet or have any details on it? Its on the quays where Olio&Farina used to be?
    Can't find any menus/website or phone details for making a booking!!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Ok seeing as there has been no review of the Eastern Seaboard in a while :D. I was there last night (Thursday) and it was packed :eek:. There was 6 of us and we had a lovely night. Huge portions of lovely food and the service was great very attentive (compared to the last time I was there) even though our waitress told us they were short staffed.

Just saw that place tapas the other day. Would be interested in hearing a review of it if you manage to go tweety.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bottomdog

furiousox wrote: »
    I've only been once, it was about 3 weeks after it opened.
    Food was ok nothing more, and the service was appalling.
    l had to ask for the bill 3 times and l said to the waitress "lf l don't get the bill this time l'm leaving without paying"
    Suffice to say the bill arrived soon after.
    Like l said it was only open a few weeks so l'd be curious to give it another shot to see if its improved.
    Anyone been there recently?

Romanza - I have not been there in months, Food is acceptable, but I believe there is a piano on weekends and its very good buzz, and a very good cocktail menu.....service was poor when I was there and I was over-charged on what was a simple bill, enough to stop me returning.

Eastern Seaboard - ts so packed you have to book at weekends or so I am told....very nice clientele and bar

Italian - set menu dinners?...not sure but Sorrentos on shop street is cheaper that Dominos or Four Star...its 9.95 for a sit down pizza...lovely staff too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 foody42

"I've never been but l've heard the food is delicious, mmmm, yum-yum!" :pac:

i have never had a bad meal in the eastern seaboard, you can not go wrong with the chicken wings for started , ceaser salad is to die for as is their baby back ribs and steak. staff are so friendly and i love the hot bread they give you while you wait for your food yum yum.

gonker wrote: »
    Ok seeing as there has been no review of the Eastern Seaboard in a while :D. I was there last night (Thursday) and it was packed :eek:. There was 6 of us and we had a lovely night. Huge portions of lovely food and the service was great very attentive (compared to the last time I was there) even though our waitress told us they were short staffed.

Just saw that place tapas the other day. Would be interested in hearing a review of it if you manage to go tweety.

hi was at the new tapas bar last weekend, wow food was lovely , wine was nicer and it was extremly cheap but i wouldnt recommend it to people who dont like tapas , the menu is very basic spanish and their cream catalan is yumyumyum. Also it isnt very big and they were having some teethin problems so would wait a week or 2 before i go again but i will go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 DDad2009

Went to La Vida and would certainly NOT recommend it. Crap service, ignored the majority of the time we were there. Only interested in serving the limited choice of food they offer and not wine??? What? Total confusion!?! Skip this one lads, stick with D-Vine if you want a proper wine bar!

But my fave........Eastern Seaboard! Sorry guys! Love the food, bad service at the start,guaranteed, but they've sorted that out and it's better than ever. Love the chicken wings and the spaghetti aglio olio.......mmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!

DDad2009 wrote: »
    Went to La Vida and would certainly NOT recommend it. Crap service, ignored the majority of the time we were there. Only interested in serving the limited choice of food they offer and not wine??? What? Total confusion!?! Skip this one lads, stick with D-Vine if you want a proper wine bar!

But my fave........Eastern Seaboard! Sorry guys! Love the food, bad service at the start,guaranteed, but they've sorted that out and it's better than ever. Love the chicken wings and the spaghetti aglio olio.......mmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!

i would agree D vine is a much better wine bar, however they are totaly diffrent menus with the exeption of maybe 2 dishes, the wines also are diffrent and i do think every place is going to have a few teethin problems but as i said D vine is much better and if you are unable to get a table there this is another option for you.

I also went to La Vida and had the same sort of problem, poor service which is amazing for a small tapas bar , but nice decor, food limited but tasty, reasonable wine list, tiled floors makes it a touch cold underfoot, but service needs to be improved two fold, and a friendly welcome would not go astray. But to be fair give them tine to settle in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

The laurences Inn is under new managment (again) and this time they have got it right!

I went in today for a quick munch, and i was blown away by the place. Its clean, nice, staff are nice, and the forst thing you see at the door:

"NEAT DRESS ESSENTIAL, NO TRACKSUITS!"

I was like "finally!"

The menu is new, ver nice lay out of it, easy to read and pick what you want, so no surprises!

I think it was the new owner that served us, he is very sound. He gave us a loayalty card which is "buy 5 meals and get the 6th free".

food was lovely and was served very fast.

I recomend cheaking it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Anybody been to the buffet in Sakura noodles? 9.99 for dinner!!!

Anybody been to the buffet in Sakura noodles? 9.99 for dinner!!!

lt's closed according to justeat.ie
    Whats the story?

CPL 593H

No , I went past it last night and it's open

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Where is it?

Mylow wrote: »
    Where is it?

Its just a few doors up from Eddie Rockets on the quays opposite the back of Scotch Hall, looks like its getting mixed reviews but would still like to give it a try!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

just saw this thread so i thought i'd add something.

a group of us went to the eastern seaboard not too long ago. had never been there before, so i felt a little apprehensive about what was to come after seeing the decor. bare concrete columns and floor, along with a shoddy looking table and unprofessional menu design didn't instill me with confidence. there was drafts from the door, and overall the experience wasn't great. the food was very acceptable however. but i still don't think it would be enough for me to recommend it to anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭haines35

Went to scholars last night for the first time,top marks for the place,staff were very good with customers and the food was in my opinion top class we had the 25 a head menu which is very good value,ok the house wine is 25e cheapest bottle,its no wonder this place was at capacity will definatel go again.

haines35 wrote: »
    Went to scholars last night for the first time,top marks for the place,staff were very good with customers and the food was in my opinion top class we had the 25 a head menu which is very good value,ok the house wine is 25e cheapest bottle,its no wonder this place was at capacity will definatel go again.
    The thing is ....it's not €25.....unless you eat steak without sides, ehich lets face it nobody does. So they catch you on the pricey sides, pricey drink, and supplements if you want anything nice.....But it is a lovely place....however €25 deal is not how it seems. ( but who cares ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Thommo

tweety76 wrote: »
    Hi,

Has anyone tried this yet or have any details on it? Its on the quays where Olio&Farina used to be?
    Can't find any menus/website or phone details for making a booking!!?

Went there last saturday night.Waited over an hour for our food and only one other table occuppied in the place.The manageress has no manner whatsoever.She got into a flurry quite easily saying she couldn't believe how bizzy they were??Shame really as the town could do with somewhere of its potential.May get better with time...:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,305 ✭✭✭positron

Last weekend we had unexpected guests, and we ended up in Peony for dinner, unexpectedly of course. Ringing couple of hours before a table for four for a Saturday night, in the recent past, would have been considered 'irresponsible' by your guests, but things surely has changed, and we could have a table anytime we want!

First impressions were brilliant - the place looks exactly like Lemongrass! In fact, I think they have even left the table plan exactly as it was in Lemongrass. It even feels like Lemongrass! And that's a very good thing - nice ambiance and not too noisy even with large groups of people having a good time (unlike EasternSeaBoard). The people at the restaurant was very proper and professional. The man at the entrance was very warm and welcoming, and the staff very polite and helpful, without being too caring (unlike EasternSB). The menu was normal I suppose, but the vine list was much better than many I have seen lately - that is, not too expensive. The 'very drinkable' (Picpoul de Pinet? or something like that) was actually really nice and drinkable. Food was also reasonably priced, with decent size portions (like EasternSB and unlike Indus!). Food was very good, if not exceptional. All four of us chose four different starters, main dishes and no one had one bad thing to say about anything. The prawn stuffed duck actually such a large portion, it went around a bit..! :D

Over all, nice place, nice people and nice food. It's not lemongrass, but it's very close!

Thommo wrote: »
    Went there last saturday night.Waited over an hour for our food and only one other table occuppied in the place.The manageress has no manner whatsoever.She got into a flurry quite easily saying she couldn't believe how bizzy they were??Shame really as the town could do with somewhere of its potential.May get better with time...:mad:

My experience was the same there. Very few customers and lack of interest from the manageress, a real pity, but huge potential

Thommo wrote: »

Haven't tried it yet but the reviews so far make me wonder why people like that are in the restaurant business at all, and then they wonder why the place has to shut down after 6 months?
    lf you're not able to run a restaurant don't open one, or get someone who knows what they're doing to be the restaurant manager.
    The way things are at the moment if l get crap food or service in a restaurant l don't go back, there's plenty of choice out there.

CPL 593H

dubdee wrote: »
    Pink Elephant - delicious food, but its very quiet!

I tried ringing Pink Elephant last weekend and got an automated response saying it's closed till further notice? It would be a shame if they are gone for good...! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Red Fan X5

Red Fan X5 wrote: »
    Just heard the Pink Elephant closed down last weekend, if it's true then it's a pity :(
    positron wrote: »
    I tried ringing Pink Elephant last weekend and got an automated response saying it's closed till further notice? It would be a shame if they are gone for good...! :(

Hey Positron, closed since 15/10/09 :o

Thanks RedFanX5, that's a mini disaster alright..! Sad that more and more "refined" Thai food places (yes, I am biased, I like my Thai) are closing down, while all sorts of grill/pizza/Chinese places are thriving..! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 DDad2009

Haven't tried it yet but the reviews so far make me wonder why people like that are in the restaurant business at all, and then they wonder why the place has to shut down after 6 months?
    lf you're not able to run a restaurant don't open one, or get someone who knows what they're doing to be the restaurant manager.
    The way things are at the moment if l get crap food or service in a restaurant l don't go back, there's plenty of choice out there.

Honestly couldn't agree with you more!

Tried saffron out in Laytown at the weekend.(The one above Gilna's pub) Have to say,was very impressed. Really wasn't sure what to expect, and was pleasantly surprised. Food was beautiful and we got a complimentary lemon sorbet palate cleanser after our starters. Would really recommend it to anybody if they find themselves out that way!

Honestly couldn't agree with you more!

Tried saffron out in Laytown at the weekend.(The one above Gilna's pub) Have to say,was very impressed. Really wasn't sure what to expect, and was pleasantly surprised. Food was beautiful and we got a complimentary lemon sorbet palate cleanser after our starters. Would really recommend it to anybody if they find themselves out that way!

Thanks for the info on that have been meaning to try it for ages, it seems to be empty every time I pass, I hope this one survives as that location has gone through about 3 restaurants in 5 years, will give it a go soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 drog75

My tupence worth:
    Eastern Seaboard: Food good, alot deep fried so it makes you really like it, ambience nice, attracts a lot of ladies
    Bru: Food good, good craic upstairs at the weekends, nice staff
    Lavida: food good, nice owner, nice decor
    Chancos: best Chinese in Drogheda, clean, friendly, reasonably priced
    Romanzas: food ok, find it a bit cold, service ok
    Scholars: food nice, makes me feel a bit claustraphobic sometimes
    Stockwell Artisan: homely, good food, good service

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

what time does eastern seaboard open at have to get a voucher for friend for xmas - is it open for lunch?

Advertisement